Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: sound effects  (Read 6281 times)

david656

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2017, 10:06:24 am
  • Big Man!
sound effects
« on: June 30, 2008, 01:36:23 pm »
Hi,

a while back somewhere i remember reading a guy saying he would like to have different record sounds as it started to get a bit repeatative and i can see what he means but my plan is :

- change the record pop to a record droping on to a table and the arm coming across (just what i am used to hearing) (never seen a real old jukebox) and having the record pop for maybe playing through the tune.

is there a way to make the sound played through the tune different to the one at the beging of it ?

i had a look but there doesn't seem to be much coverage of sound effect options in the read me unless im missing something

thanks

blicky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2011, 06:57:02 pm
Re: sound effects
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 08:48:45 pm »
Hi. I think this is what you mean
In the skin file use "MSG_INTERSONG=*****.WAV" and set song delay in jukebox.ini to the same time as your mechanical sound and use "MSG_SONGSTART=RECPOP.WAV" for the sound you want to play through the song. I have a sound that might be what your looking for I can send to you if needed.

blicky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 09:20:34 pm »
Sorry, I should have tried it first (never used the MSG_SONGSTART= before).
It does work but does not play over and over. You could use a wave editor to make a file that goes for longer perhaps - not sure if there is a limit on sound effect length though - I might try it and see what happens.

O.K. just tried it. Found two problems: firstly having large sound effect files causes a long delay on startup while the skins are loaded. Secondly, once the "MSG_SONGSTART=" sound starts playing it doesn't stop when the song ends (i.e. if the currently playing song is cancelled)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 10:42:21 pm by blicky »

david656

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 01, 2017, 10:06:24 am
  • Big Man!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 01:14:38 pm »
hey first off thanks for your interest in looking into this one !

so basically you are saying you can set it to play a sound in between tracks which is the arm moving...
and a sound at the begining of a track which is the arm dropping onto the record ?

thanks

btw i PMed you about the sound

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 11:16:31 am »
There really isn't a ton of sound effect options because I never really envisioned using them for much more than error beeps and coin drops and such.  The presong/postsong delays were created just to support sound effects, though. 

I can add an option to make a sound effect repeat, but really do you want record pops all throughout a song?
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

blicky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 10:20:13 am »
Not really, you only notice it right at the start anyway

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 10:48:51 am »
Not really, you only notice it right at the start anyway
That was what I figured.

I am planning to put in a "random" capability, but I've been looking at a couple of different ways to do it.  I try to keep things as generic as possible to gain the most flexibility; for example, I can see people wanting to use random images too, so the method I use should work for both sounds and images.  So I need a way to specify a "set" of sounds or images.  But sets can be used for animations as well, and it would be able to specify a collection of icons as a "set" so you could import entire keypads and such.  And maybe the user doesn't want the items in the set to be random, they should be in sequence....

There is the easy way:
[Sounds]
MSG_COIN=RANDOM,coin1.wav,coin2.wav,coin3.wav

Of course, I'm going to run into issues with sounds with commas in the filename...  should I care about this?

There is the inline set method:

[Sounds]
MSG_COIN=coin.set

[coin.set]
SetUsage = RANDOM
SetItem1 = coin1.wav
SetItem2 = coin2.wav
SetItem3 = coin3.wav

Any opinions?
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 04:25:43 pm »
I in the past created such a JPS plug in to play sound effects through a another soundcard, like a small mono speaker and not to the main speaker where the music is playing.

This would been a good for a coin effect like this.

I guess you could do the same....
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.