Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DonkeyKong Jr Bartop Project - Finished  (Read 9686 times)

DonkyKong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2016, 08:35:34 pm
DonkeyKong Jr Bartop Project - Finished
« on: June 24, 2008, 02:08:58 am »
Hi, This is a Project I just completed on the Weekend and had been 2 Months in the making. I will copy paste the forum thread I started 2months ago over @ www.aussiearcade.com.au.

Hope You enjoy.

DK

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
Re: DonkeyKong Jr Bartop Project - Finished
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 02:09:56 am »
This project is being done as a Xmas present for my 2 nephews, They just love to play on my Upright and Cocktail cab's when they come over.

Why?:

Well I built my cocktail cab 6-7 years ago it gave me great satisfaction, There was little info and hardware around at the time I built it back then. Certainly next to no Aussie stores that you could buy stuff thru or at least I knew of at the time.
Anyway I upgraded Mame to a later version and added faster CPU etc and that broke my ArcadeOS and just got sick of play with it and did nothing with it for years the 1st nephew was around 1yr's old at this time and up until he was 7 he had never seen it going. Seeing he had gotten to the age he could play without me worry about him braking it or the like I thought ---Cleveland steamer---! I should get this thing working again. So after a few weekends of redoing the software and hardware side of my Cocktail cab it was up and running again.

This rekindled my whole enjoyment of retro gaming once again, I then bought an 26" upright Cabinet off ebay. I started to visit Aussie Arcade and loved dmworking247 and spacies work or their bartop's and thought what a great idea, Its not a LARGE project like a full upright cab (which take up too much room anyway) and something that can fit happily in either nephews bedroom
(maybe some fights over this in the future)  :P

Why a DK Jr cabinet?:

1: GFX availability was the first priority DK Jr Marquee,CPO,Bezel and Side art are all available.

2: Cabinet shape. Based off an arcade upright cabinet with the bottom cut off (coin door/kickplate).
The DK jr cabinet seem well suited to sitting on a bench and the angles and curves aren't that hard to work with and i like the classic look of 80's cabinets and artwork.

I think "Junior" is appropriate given its a small version of the upright. :)
Oh and If you haven't seen the "King of Kong" Doco do yourself a favor it's a Great! The guy uses a DK Jr upright cab to play DonkeyKong on.  :D

Parts needed or things yet to do:

1:  Orange Laminate (I have and now have used)
2:  Black Top Ball for Joystick and Red 20cent Back lit Credit Button  (I now have from Ozstick)
3:  If i should go 48 in 1 or Mame PC (48 in 1 for now, Might do a PC later for it) I Went for PC as the 48in1 was pretty average at best.
4:  What type of light i will use in the marquee (Got a 12 volt 300mm twin tube light from Super Cheap Auto)
5:  Get some White and Black T-Molding and Slot Cutter (Got the T-molding from Gamedude and Slot Cutter from Trades Direct)
6:  Where to have Speaker/s and or Ventilation. (Speaker I've decided will be the same as the original with small routed slots on the front, Air Vent is open @ the botton and 10mm holes drilled in top of the rear Access Door)
7:  Get Speaker/Amp (I'm using a Amp/Volume Module pulled from a Logitech 2.0 PC Speaker set)
8:  Learn how to use illustrator to make changes to the Artwork. (I've made what I think is the final changes to my Artwork before Printing) (Thanks to spacies and MetalSkin for their Insert Coin Artwork)
9:  Who and where to get Artwork Printed. (Ordered and received Artwork) Bezel from www.mamemarquee.com and the rest from www.somaprint.cn
10: What Plastic to use on Control Panel,Bezel & Marquee (Perspex is on order) From local Glazer.
11: What and where to find some Chrome or Polished bolts for CPO (I now have some Mirror Screws)

List may get added to or edited as i progress with the project.

Any comments and or suggestions are more than welcome :D

DK
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:42:16 am by DonkyKong »

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 02:10:41 am »
Today I worked on the dimensions after waiting for a 2nd hand Dell 15" LCD to arrived I had bought off eBay, I made a few side view sketches on Cardboard first then proceeded to make a full mockup Prototype from Chipboard and Craftwood (MDF) packing sheets before I cut up my Black Lamiwood sheet Which also is a packing sheet.
To see if the dimensions look the same as the Original Cabinet (to "scale" which is hard when its based off the following picture).

I will upload some pictures tomorrow of work in progress.

This picture is just the DKjr.png from mame cabinets.zip which I modified and cut the bottom off. Which I'll be basing the Bartop off.

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 02:12:37 am »
Progress Day 1:

After building the mockup Cabinet and looking at it. It looked too high and thought that might just be the monitor in the vertical position making it look off as well as having no Artwork. So to give me a better idea i painted the temporary Bezel on the left and right of the Monitor black to make it square as the DK Jr Bezel is almost square, That looked better, I Printed out some Artwork and stuck it on and that again helped.
But after looking at my Photo's few times against the original Cabinet picture I wasn't happy and had to make a few changes the following day.

DK

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 02:13:53 am »
Progress Day 2:

Well after not being happy with a few things with the design of the cabinet the day before I set about making changes to it this morning.

1: Reduced the overall height but 60mm.
2: Reduced the height of the Bezel buy 60mm.
3: Increased the height of the Marquee buy 10mm and changed the top and bottom 16mm board on the Marquee to 12mm board.
4: Reduced the depth of the Cabinet in the Control Panel area.
5: Reduced the depth of the Control Panel itself.
6: Moved the Buttons closer together. (This isn't final as it will depend on the Artwork)
7: Reduce the size of the large curve from Control Panel to Bezel area

I took just as long to make the changes today as it did to make the mockup Cabinet yesterday :(
None the less I am now happy with the way its looking.

To you guys you probably cant see the difference in the photos that well.
But you should be able to see the difference between the Control Panel depth in the above and and below pictures.
The above picture you can see the Control Panel is too deep and out of place, Where the bottom picture it looks much better.

The mockup Cabinet won't go to waste, Of course it will give me final measurements but the sides I'll use as a routing jig for the lamiwood sides of the finished Cabinet.

I have yet to order in the laminate. I've decided I will go with Laminex Mandarin (orange) for the side,front and top of the cabinet.

DK

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 02:14:49 am »
Progress Day 3:

Today didn't go all as I had planed.
I pulled down the mock up Cabinet and used a side as a Router Template for the finished Cab sides, Then cut the sides out and sanded both the edge and the side that was to get Laminated.
Also cut a few other pieces and Laminated them such as Top and Front of Control Panel and around Marquee.
I slotted the pieces ready for T-Molding and was at the stage of getting ready to put sides etc together when I thought I'd better put the T-molding on now as will be easier to trim now rather than later.
(First time I've used T-Molding before and I must say I love this stuff.. Very easy to work with, I thought it would be a semi hard abs plastic but it's more like rubber and very easy to trim the overhang)

I got half way through the 2nd side when i saw the T-molding was short.. ARGH!
NOT HAPPY JAN!! After measuring it up through the week I had miss calculated the length needed. Oh well my fault for rushing and not taking the time to make sure my measurements where right.
Measure twice cut once as they say :(

So will have to wait till I get some more from Gamedude before I can continue with the cab.

Marquee light was bought from Super Cheap Auto yesterday (probably over kill as its a twin tube with defuser), The Black T-Molding will go around the Marquee to give a nice finish as like the original DK Jr Cabinet as well as holding the Marquee and Bezel in position.

Next update will be next week or when I get the extra T-Molding

DK

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 02:17:57 am »
Progress Day 4:

After getting the missing T-Molding off Gamedude on Friday I was able to continue with the build.

Starting to look like something now.
Got most of the construction phase out of the way.

The bottom is off the ground by 10mm and has a hole in the botton to allow air flow and joystick adjustment for 2/4/8way on the zippy joystick (also helps keep the weight down).

The rear access Door was made a tight fit to help stop Cabinet Twist and Warp when picking up etc, Holes Drilled in the top of the Door to allow Hot Air to escape, Cam lock fitted on the door.
(might add a Speaker Hand Grab Plastic Insert to the door from Jaycar to allow easier handling when carried).

The Supercheap Auto 12volt Marquee light is fitted.

Routed out Speaker Grill (what a mission this was, needs touching up with a file and Painting black in the slots to hide the Ply) also fitted Backlit 20c Coin Slot Button from OzStick

5watt 8ohm Speaker will be mounted behind the Speaker Grill and using a fine Black Lady's Sock stretched over the back of the Grill for Speaker Mesh :D

So just need to mount the Control Panel (which can be done later after I get the Control Panel Overlay and Perspex etc)
Will source the Perspex next week sometime and place order for all the Artwork for the cabinet.
At this stage I am undecided to go with Clear or Tint for the Bezel (probably Tint as that looks good on my 17" CRT Cocktail cabinet) Just not sure if LCD has the contrast/brightness for Tint?

DK
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:36:37 am by DonkyKong »

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 02:20:00 am »
Progress Day 5:

Not much done today as i'm really just waiting on Perspex and artwork now.

I touched up the rough router cuts for the speakergrill with a dremel drill and small sanding wheel that just fitted inside the slots.

This is what it looked like before :)

Painting it Black.

Masking tape and newspaper pulled off and letting dry.

This is where I'd love some CNC work as this thing alone has taken almost as long to do and touch up as it was to build the whole cabinet so far.

Might mount the speaker mesh and speaker tomorrow.

DK

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 02:20:54 am »
For awhile I didn't know what to do about speaker or ventilation holes and was thinking of using PC fan grills but didn't see anything I liked or would suit the project.
The ventilation was a easy n hidden fix. The speaker I just looked at a DK jr Cab picture and thought why not just make a small copy of the original design. If i knew it was going take so much work to do I probably would of picked a different route, But at the end of the project I'm sure I'll look back and say it was worth it.

DK

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 02:21:39 am »
Progress Day 6:

Like I said in yesterdays post i would probably mount the speaker and speaker mesh AKA Black Sock :)

So here it is.

DK

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 02:22:32 am »
Progress Day 7:

Once again not alot done this time around due to other commitments and bad weather.

I cut out and fitted the Handle Pocket and IEC Fuse Chassis. Both from Jaycar

No photo of them fitted as it pissed down with rain just after I cut the holes out. :(

DK

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 02:23:14 am »
Look what turned up today :)

All for $68au shipped to Aust from (www.somaprint.cn) in China, It took 9 days from when I submitted the Artwork till when it arrived at my door today.
Good Price and Good Service I think.
Colour reproduction (which cant be seen in the photos) could of probably been better but at the price I am pretty happy with the result.
I will be using them again on future projects. Oh and BTW their communication and English is good so no troubles there.

I will post more Pics tomorrow when I fit them.

The Bezel Artwork is coming from mamemarquee.com and left the US Yesterday.

DK

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 02:24:17 am »
Progress Day 8:

I was keen to get the artwork on so started on some late yesterday and finished the rest this morning.

The Marquee: Which was a bastard to put on the perspex, had lots of little bubbles but managed to get most out with a pin ---tallywhacker--- then squeeze the air out so looks ok now. This was applied to 1 piece of 3mm clear perspex then another 3mm clear over the top.
a small aluminum angle is screwed top,bottom,left and right set back 6mm to stop the perspex falling inside towards the marquee light and to hold in place some black T-mold.

The Control Panel / Insert Coin: This got no bubbles at all probably due to sticking to some white laminate which isn't perfectly flat like the Perspex.
The Mirror screws are probably not needed to hold the perspex down but adds a nice touch I think. (Thanks for the help spacies Mirror Screws)(Also Thanks to jockdownunder for perspex drilling help and metalskin for his insert coin artwork)

The Sideart: I was thinking of just putting the complete sticker on without cutting around the orange border and leaving all the white in place, But in the end i thought a job worth doing is worth doing well so I spent ages trimming around the orange border and stars.
Once done and before I even stuck it on I could see it was well worth the effort and looks great.
This also got not bubbles and once again stuck to laminate.

So the Bezel art should turn up next week but after the bubbles on the marquee I'm not looking forward to sticking that onto the perspex. Any advice or tips for applying on perspex would be very welcome ;)

DK

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 02:24:52 am »
Quote from: spacies;171283
I noticed it as well. Glad you fixed it up. You always find things like that on bartops 'cos there ain't much room inside!

I am finding that out now as I'm doing the wiring etc
I've had to re-adjust a few things. I hope I don't have to move the monitor much as there ain't much room for adjustment in there now.  :)

I've done away with the 48in1 and jamma idea as it performs below par to me (boots slower than windows and sound is horrible). I've cut up the jamma harness for the buttons,joystick etc. And now going the PC route with micro atx board.

The PCB (Amp) mounted on the back of the monitor is taken from a Logitech R10 PC speakers and runs off the 12volt from molex connector so does the marquee light and the insert 20c coin back lit led button.
(I bought a low voltage kit from Jaycar to run the Amp at 9volt as stated on the power brick but after testing with the multimeter it was putting out 12volt anyway so wasn't needed)

Keywiz down the bottom which is yet to be hooked up to the buttons etc. Then its almost time to fire up and do some testing.

DK

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 02:25:17 am »
The Keywiz has been replaced with a I-Pac VE from another project I had planed as I couldn't map or find a hotkey program that would let me map 1up+2up = ESC so I could exit Mame back to Mala frontend.

Now, Where is that bezel art I am waiting on. :D

DK

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 02:26:35 am »
Progress Day 9:

The Bezel and Finishing off

Well the Bezel Art finally turned up from Mamemarquee.com and Very High Quality Print to the ones I got Printed in China but this one alone cost more than all the Art I got printed in China so it should be good.

First of I was a little disappointed as the idea was to have the monitor inside the black Bezel area of the Art but before I made the cabinet I really had to guess the measurements of what I thought it would be, I had already made the cabinet bigger to make room for the bezel and if I had made it even larger it simply would of made the Cabinet too big over all and too heavy.
So as you can see by the photos I had to cut a bit into the top and bottom Artwork, Now its fitted and up and running it doesn't look that bad and gives the effect I was after anyway.

Artwork was applied to Grey Perspex with the Wet method (Thanks Spacies) then another 3mm clear Perspex over the top.

So here is some Photo's of the Bartop Finished.

Back/Door with Pocket handle and Power input.

Inside with I-Pac VE fitted in favour over the KeyWiz and 200gb Sata I had spare.

Mala Fronted.

In Game Shot.

Desktop (Win XP), DK Jr Snapshot Blown up to 1024x768 and Rotated 90degrees for Background Picture.

All in all I've totally enjoyed this project and already planning my Next :D
I hope it inspires others just like others on the forum inspired me.
Many thanks to all the people that helped with advice etc over the time of this build.

Cheers DK
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 02:35:05 am by DonkyKong »

Luigi

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2021, 11:28:40 am
  • Collecting/restoring cabs
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 05:21:01 am »
Great work dude  :applaud:

I just had cut off the white areas of the "Insert Coin"-arrow ;)

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 06:38:05 am »
Great work dude  :applaud:

I just had cut off the white areas of the "Insert Coin"-arrow ;)

From what I can tell from pictures on the net the original and other Nintendo cabs had a white border so it was made to be like that.

DK

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 08:20:58 am »
Awesome work! You beat me to it. I'm getting ready to do something very similar to this.

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 06:57:08 pm »
I seen this pop up late last night and read the title as finished...your last pic at the time was this...

My wife and I were chuckling pretty good at this being the final pic...(ps: whats worse is that's about how my cab looks after 2 years)  :laugh2:

*sigh*....I'll never be done.  :(

Anyway, I was relieved to see the final result today, and it's really nice. Congratulations, great build for a great classic.

Your twin brother, -Kong   :cheers:
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 09:31:42 pm »
very nice work, it came together great  :applaud:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 09:38:10 pm »
So, whats the deal with the bezel art? Did you have to cut it after the fact?

CheeseSndwch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2012, 11:30:53 pm
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 11:30:57 pm »
What’s up with the stars on the DKJR side art? Is that an Australian version? Cab looks great.

somunny

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 02:22:25 pm
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 12:19:52 am »
That is damn nice looking!  :applaud:

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 01:56:19 am »
Awesome work! You beat me to it. I'm getting ready to do something very similar to this.

I look forward to seeing its progress.

DK

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 02:00:17 am »
I seen this pop up late last night and read the title as finished...your last pic at the time was this...

My wife and I were chuckling pretty good at this being the final pic...(ps: whats worse is that's about how my cab looks after 2 years)  :laugh2:

*sigh*....I'll never be done.  :(

Anyway, I was relieved to see the final result today, and it's really nice. Congratulations, great build for a great classic.

Your twin brother, -Kong   :cheers:

Pays to read the comments than just look at the pictures  ;)
DK

DonkyKong

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 02:06:44 am »
What’s up with the stars on the DKJR side art? Is that an Australian version? Cab looks great.

The Vector GFX came like that and I dont know if that was added later or a copy off another cab in another country, Japan maybe I don't know.
I put a little poll up on www.aussiearcade.com.au when I was building to get thoughts of others and %100 voted for Stars, I was leaning towards star myself as it just livened up the cabinet just that bit more.

DK

spacies

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2015, 03:40:49 am
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 04:05:12 am »
Yeah I suppose it's ok. 

:laugh2:

Pulling ya tit mate. Freaking awesome little cab!   :applaud:  :applaud:  :applaud:

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 04:09:39 am »
Great job man!
I love DK JR..
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: