Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 80's movies (that are still good)  (Read 19252 times)

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
Re: 80's movies (that are still good)
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2008, 06:51:29 pm »
And on that note, how about 80s Rated-R movies that are still good? Risky Business was still okay. Stripes wasn't bad.
I still enjoy Robocop, which I'm sure has been mentioned already.  Something I found interesting that I just learned a few weeks ago, Robocop was originally going to be rated X (this was before NC-17 existed), so they removed a fair amount of the gore to get it to rated R.  I believe the now released "unrated" version is the original X-rated cut of the movie.

I didn't know this. I thought it was pretty graphic at the time anyway. It certainly affected me. And though I watched it again a few, perhaps several, times I haven't been pressed to watch it again. I may soon though.

I don't see the love for Stripes. Half of it was good, but the other half sucked, and it did not hold up well.

Dude. As a kid*, this was a funny and riske' movie. It's still cute, it's just not as juvenilely interesting as back then.

* When we got cable, there were no restrictions in my house, so I saw all these movies as soon as they were available - although I actually saw Stripes before we got cable at a neighbor kid's house whose dad had connections to bootleg videos and who got him this, Smokey and The Bandit, The Road Warrior, Conan, and others before anyone else saw them. And often long before other kids were allowed to see them.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

billf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2022, 05:53:05 pm
  • Why ya dog-gone crazy idgit!
« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2008, 01:24:31 am »
I know it was mentioned on the first page, but my wife, son and myself just watched Planes, Trains and Automobiles tonight.  Had a great time watching it.  I've seen it enough to know almost every line.  My wife thinks that was the first time she saw it start to finish and it was definitely my son's first time seeing it.  I'm still amazed at all the movies John Hughes was a writer, director or producer of in the '80s.

Hockeyboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2022, 02:48:38 pm
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2008, 02:19:56 am »
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles was (and IS) so damn funny it's become a staple for me every Thanksgiving. There's parts that make me laugh, make me cry, and make me fall on the floor holding my gut. That one scene in the car where Steve Martin's character turns to John Candy's character and sees him as the devil...oh lord...

Stripes is also a "classic", as is Airplane!, Caddyshack, and several others in that genre alone. There's no way Hollywood could ever make Blazing Saddles again with the same lines that they used back then for fear of upsetting too many different groups, but I think that's part of the wonder of the movies made then.

My kids (3 teenagers) will watch some of those 80's movies with me and just wonder what the hell we were thinking by watching them back then -- the special effects are cheesy or whatever. I tell them that they have grown up in a generation where things have become possible that were impossible just 20 years ago but they still don't get it. All I know is I still enjoy lots of those 80's movies.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2008, 06:49:03 pm »
I think my (younger) brother really liked Trains... but I don't think I was into it. There seemed to emerge this weird humor in the late 80s that I felt was over the top.

My kids (3 teenagers) will watch some of those 80's movies with me and just wonder what the hell we were thinking by watching them back then -- the special effects are cheesy or whatever. I tell them that they have grown up in a generation where things have become possible that were impossible just 20 years ago but they still don't get it. All I know is I still enjoy lots of those 80's movies.

You know whats interesting is that we grew up watching movies from the 50s and we DID get it.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 01:05:24 am
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2008, 02:18:18 am »
You know whats interesting is that we grew up watching movies from the 50s and we DID get it.

Thats because we still had some imagination left... my kids/this generation don't, and it takes a lot to impress them the special effects (of movies) or superior graphics (of games) are the selling point.

Just look at the nitpicky nature of continuity flaws or 'those special effects werent good enough' being the main critique of movies these days, similar to how games are more about the 'instant gratification' and graphics than actual gameplay.

It comes as no suprise to me that members of a forum like this still have what it takes to appreciate a movie for its plot with a little imagination involved.

Having said all that, my youngest kids arent quite so 'spoiled' yet and I'm enjoying them playing the Arcade, watching 80s movies with me, and enjoying the Wii for actual gameplay... its not just money preventing me from giving them a xbox360/PS3.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2008, 09:35:20 am »
Watched 2 good Stephen King 80's adaptations this weekend.

First up is Christine. I've never seen this movie, and only vaguely knew it was about an evil car. This was a great movie! The car self-rebuild FX were really neat. How did they do that?

Next up is The Cats eye. I only ever saw the very end of the movie as a kid. Because of that, I was really thrown off by the short story format. Each part was still very good, and the way they shot the monster was very unique and looked surprisingly authentic. I bet it cost some bucks to build those gigantic sets.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2008, 09:47:47 am »
Any John Candy movie.  I miss John Candy.  Seriously, how could this thread get this long and not one mention of Spaceballs or Vacation?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 09:49:55 am by ChadTower »

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2008, 10:48:39 am »
Post 5 - Spaceballs
Post 34 - Vacation

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2008, 10:55:57 am »
Next up is The Cats eye. I only ever saw the very end of the movie as a kid. Because of that, I was really thrown off by the short story format. Each part was still very good, and the way they shot the monster was very unique and looked surprisingly authentic. I bet it cost some bucks to build those gigantic sets.

I forgot about that movie!  As I recall I used to love it.  Will have to find that one and watch it again.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2008, 11:04:25 am »
Post 5 - Spaceballs
Post 34 - Vacation

Look, guys!  Big Ben!  Parliament!

:-X

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2008, 11:07:37 am »
Post 5 - Spaceballs
Post 34 - Vacation

Look, guys!  Big Ben!  Parliament!

:-X

That would be European Vacation.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2008, 11:11:07 am »

I forgot about that movie!  As I recall I used to love it.  Will have to find that one and watch it again.

Still holds up today. Great movie. James Woods is the man (as usual).

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: September 02, 2008, 11:13:58 am »

Still holds up today. Great movie. James Woods is the man (as usual).

Yeah, that part was the best. I would love to see an entire movie based on that story.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2008, 11:18:29 am »

Yeah, but still applies.  I like that one better.  BTW, don't ever rent Christmas Vacation 2.  I will usually stick out any movie until the end out of pure stubbornness but goddam that movie was unwatchable.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2008, 11:45:09 am »

Yeah, but still applies.  I like that one better.  BTW, don't ever rent Christmas Vacation 2.  I will usually stick out any movie until the end out of pure stubbornness but goddam that movie was unwatchable.

Yeah, that was a made for TV movie. Saw it on NBC. Avoid.

Chadwick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2010, 03:23:34 pm
« Reply #135 on: September 03, 2008, 02:02:35 pm »
I used to love all the Canon Group and Golan-Globus action movies:

Missing In Action
Invasion USA
The Octagon
Delta Force
American Ninja
Revenge of the Ninja (note my Sho Kosugi avatar!)
Enter The Ninja
Ninja 3: The Domination
Gymkata
No Retreat No Surrender
Cobra

So much goodness from Canon.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #136 on: September 03, 2008, 02:13:03 pm »
I used to love all the Canon Group and Golan-Globus action movies:

Missing In Action
Invasion USA
The Octagon
Delta Force
American Ninja
Revenge of the Ninja (note my Sho Kosugi avatar!)
Enter The Ninja
Ninja 3: The Domination
Gymkata
No Retreat No Surrender
Cobra

So much goodness from Canon.

I love the ninja trilogy. Ninja 3 is such great 80s cheese.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: September 03, 2008, 04:45:59 pm »
Watched 2 good Stephen King 80's adaptations this weekend.

First up is Christine. I've never seen this movie, and only vaguely knew it was about an evil car. This was a great movie! The car self-rebuild FX were really neat. How did they do that?

I'm betting the simple 'reverse video' trick.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2008, 04:57:46 pm »
I'm betting the simple 'reverse video' trick.

Well thats what I thought too, but video is not an option because nothing is shown damaging the car. I am thinking more along the lines of reverse stop motion.

Hmm, I read the trivia on IMDB and found this:

To simulate the car regenerating itself, hydraulic pumps were installed on the inside of some of the film's numerous Plymouth Fury "stunt doubles", a mock-up in plastic that looked more like metal on camera than actual metal as it bent and deformed. These pumps were attached to cables, which were in turn attached to the cars' bodywork and when they compressed, they would "suck" the paneling inwards. Footage of the inward crumpling body was then reversed, giving the appearance of the car spontaneously retaking form.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #139 on: September 03, 2008, 05:20:16 pm »
Funny, I was about to guess exactly what that trivia said.

Hemi

• Banned
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2008, 08:41:21 pm
« Reply #140 on: September 04, 2008, 04:25:20 pm »
One that I just recently saw again was "The Secret Of My Success" with Michael J Fox, that was a good one I haven't seen in a long time. No idea if it was mentioned yet as there are way too many pages to read through.
Banned

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #141 on: September 04, 2008, 04:46:58 pm »
One that I just recently saw again was "The Secret Of My Success" with Michael J Fox, that was a good one I haven't seen in a long time. No idea if it was mentioned yet as there are way too many pages to read through.

I recall not being thrilled with that movie, but maybe it deserves a second chance. I haven't seen it since its release.

Hockeyboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2022, 02:48:38 pm
« Reply #142 on: September 05, 2008, 07:28:06 am »
My 2 daughters were watching a Family Guy where they made fun of 80's movies by doing a little montage/music scene as they were "fixing up" the Drunken Clam (a bar they hang out at) and asked me just how many movies had that kind of stuff...

...I should just point them to this thread and let them read through...I swear you guys are almost genius in pegging kids and their idiosyncrasies about being so nitpicky these days.

Oh, and did I miss this one listed somewhere? Monty Python and the Holy Grail?? I realize it actually came out in 1975 but that's still considered a classic - something we watched over and over until we could quote the scenes.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2008, 08:32:41 am »
Oh, and did I miss this one listed somewhere? Monty Python and the Holy Grail?? I realize it actually came out in 1975 but that's still considered a classic - something we watched over and over until we could quote the scenes.

It does not belong in this list because it does not contain 80's cheese.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2008, 08:37:23 am »
My 2 daughters were watching a Family Guy where they made fun of 80's movies by doing a little montage/music scene as they were "fixing up" the Drunken Clam (a bar they hang out at) and asked me just how many movies had that kind of stuff...

Damn, those motivational training/fixing stuff montages is what made 80's movies so awesome!

I loved Robin Hood as a kid because of the part where they prepare Sherwood forest for battle. I soooo wanted to go melt some metal and make my own arrows.

And how about the Better Off Dead and the Camaro restore? I was so depressed in real life when I found out that replacing the air filter and changing the oil doesn't magically make your car minty fresh.  :laugh2: That movie doubles the fun though with the addition of the skiing training scene.

And since we're on this subject, I also own the Rocky Box Set. I never get sick of those Stallone training montages. He was the ---smurfing--- KING of those!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: September 05, 2008, 08:51:33 am »

Damn, look at that.  Somebody threw away a perfectly good white boy.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #146 on: September 05, 2008, 02:07:41 pm »

That was 1990...

-fu

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: September 05, 2008, 02:09:21 pm »

That was 1990...

-fu

Hey, I didn't bring up the movie, I just quoted it.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: September 05, 2008, 02:18:45 pm »

That was 1990...

-fu

Hey, I didn't bring up the movie, I just quoted it.

Wrong movie though.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: September 05, 2008, 02:26:20 pm »
Wrong movie though.

It's from Better Off Dead.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2008, 02:33:03 pm »
I thought you were quoting Men in Tights - apparently I wasn't the only one.

Where in the movie does that come in play? I don't remember it. Is it when he gets knocked off the bridge?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: September 05, 2008, 02:34:41 pm »

Where in the movie does that come in play? I don't remember it.

When he gets pushed off the bridge and lands in a garbage truck.  The line is spoken by a black dude who is working on a telephone pole or something.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #152 on: September 05, 2008, 02:38:48 pm »

Wut?

I knew that was from Better Off Dead... that's why I said 1990.  Men in Tights was 1993...  ;D

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: September 05, 2008, 03:04:19 pm »
1990 huh?

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #154 on: September 05, 2008, 03:20:36 pm »
I know that quote from the movie Men at Work  :dunno

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #155 on: September 05, 2008, 03:58:03 pm »
Another excellent movie in the 80's I saw at Lakewood Cinema (Ca) before Universal yanked it:

Great White.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

wachin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2012, 02:50:46 pm
  • "Do you like P5Us?"
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2008, 10:23:45 am »
For children's movies from the 80's I can't believe that no one has mentioned The Last Unicorn!  It was an animated fantasy film with a great cast (Christopher Lee, Alan Arkin, Mia Farrow, Jeff Bridges, Rene Auberjonois...)  It also had a cool soundtrack by America.  Wife watched it for the first time recently and admitted it was a pretty good movie.  ...then again most guys I know aren' really into unicorns... but I'm sure that's where Red Bull got it's name...

For other 80's movies, I have fond memories of Midnight Maddness, but I'm sure if I watched it today, I would only enjoy it for the nostalgia factor.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #157 on: September 07, 2008, 10:53:29 am »
Speaking of animated films from the 80s, no one has said this:

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #158 on: September 07, 2008, 11:06:28 am »
^^ That is by far, still one of my favorite animes.  The second one I ever watched, actually.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: September 07, 2008, 09:42:55 pm »
Anime is a whole different discussion, particularly by region. Akira is still the gold standard for animation.

The Last Unicorn has decent animation, but it's kind of goofy.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking