Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 80's movies (that are still good)  (Read 19204 times)

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Re: 80's movies (that are still good)
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2008, 01:56:12 pm »
We've seen quite a few more 80's movies over the last few weeks. Can you believe my wife had never seen Over The Top?!? (She loved it BTW).

Anyways, I saw "They Live" for the 1st time last night. I can only say one thing about it: HOW DID I NEVER SEE THIS MOVIE?!?

I loved it, plain and simple. The wife enjoyed it quite a bit too, but she did not care for the ending much. I think it might have had something to do with the nekkid chick. I thought the final scene was classic. "What's wrong babe?"  :laugh2:

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2008, 02:07:21 pm »
I recently saw The Toxic Avenger for the first time and I can't believe I never even heard of this movie before.  It's the ultimate 80s B-movie and incredibly hilarious.

Next on my list to see is Class of Nuke 'em High which I'm hoping will be funny, but it's always a crap shoot with B-movies.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2008, 02:43:17 pm »
Anyways, I saw "They Live" for the 1st time last night. I can only say one thing about it: HOW DID I NEVER SEE THIS MOVIE?!?

I loved it, plain and simple. The wife enjoyed it quite a bit too, but she did not care for the ending much. I think it might have had something to do with the nekkid chick. I thought the final scene was classic. "What's wrong babe?"  :laugh2:

What about the classic fight scene?

I recently saw The Toxic Avenger for the first time and I can't believe I never even heard of this movie before.  It's the ultimate 80s B-movie and incredibly hilarious.

Next on my list to see is Class of Nuke 'em High which I'm hoping will be funny, but it's always a crap shoot with B-movies.

Both Troma films. Too bad you missed out on USA Up All Night.

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2008, 03:12:17 pm »
Too bad you missed out on USA Up All Night.
I always prefered Monstervision with Joe Bob Briggs.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2008, 03:13:39 pm »

Also good, though he was no Rhonda Shear.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2008, 03:17:38 pm »

What about the classic fight scene?

You mean the one where they beat the ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of each other in the alley? That was one of the best real man fights I've seen in a movie. No jap slappy crap, just two guys going at it.
"Why you dirty motha f..." I laughed my butt off at that point.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2008, 03:20:22 pm »
It's a great fight scene because it just last FOREVER. Such a long scene, but not too over the top. (And considering Piper was in it, anyone else would've loaded the fight with wrestling moves, but Carpenter's smarter than that)

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2008, 03:30:11 pm »

Also good, though he was no Rhonda Shear.
I prefered hearing about the crazy facts from the movie and his hilarious comments over looking at a pretty face.  I can still remember several of his stories, such the story how Godzilla was originally called Gojira (which is much more common knowledge today) and a removed scene from Maximum Overdrive involving an exploding blood pack and a steamroller made some of the directors friends throw up when he showed them the dailies.  Looks like some people are pushing to bring his show back, which would be pretty awesome.

Anyways, there were great B-movies on both shows, and no I didn't miss out on Up All night, I just missed these movies  :)

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2008, 03:49:00 pm »
Anyways, there were great B-movies on both shows, and no I didn't miss out on Up All night, I just missed these movies 

That's what I meant by saying he missed out on Up All Night. Missed out on the movies.

As for Rhonda vs Joe Bob, that was only a comment on their looks. I'm a HUGE Joe Bob fan!

ideft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2012, 04:06:09 pm
  • "Mister, I suspect you to be a dope fiend"
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2008, 08:21:48 pm »
I just remembered:  Flight of the Navigator

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2008, 09:44:50 am »
I just remembered:  Flight of the Navigator

Page one...mentioned by Shardian

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2008, 10:07:39 am »
As for Rhonda vs Joe Bob, that was only a comment on their looks. I'm a HUGE Joe Bob fan!

Joe Bob was the man.  My friend and I watched his show every weekend.  Best source of boobs on basic cable!

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2008, 09:13:47 pm »
The Goonies was just....well, let's just say only kids five years my junior liked it (kind of like duper rangers)...and girls, but they didn't count. Buckaroo Bonzai was just...my buddy would say, 'it's so stupid it's funny'. I loved him anyway.

Joe Bob was the man.  My friend and I watched his show every weekend.  Best source of boobs on basic cable!

My dad liked him a lot. They had the same kind of humor.

I've been through a few spells of movie nostalgia in the last few years, but I don't think there are any anyone hasn't said - many of them I still have yet to see again - Oh, wait, maybe The Devil in Miss Jones 4. Absolute classic.

Edit: it's number 3.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 05:18:59 pm by Ummon »
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

jediz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2015, 01:51:06 pm
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2008, 01:28:27 am »
Did anyone here think they were a long lost ninja in the 80's? Remember American Ninja, Enter the Ninja, Return of the Ninja, and Ninja 3 " The Domination" otherwise known as the Golan-Globus empire?

What about Night of the Comet - very good under the radar 80's flick.

Here's another piece of 80's greatness -  Spies like Us - pure genius and I sill find myself quoting(in my head) Nobody seems to remember it around here. Maybe it wasn't that good - oh well.

mameotron

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 04:42:49 pm
  • A mamer is you...
« Reply #94 on: August 22, 2008, 01:34:19 am »
How about Disney's "The Black Hole" ?

I thought that movie rocked back in the day.  Maybe it's better to leave that one as a warm fuzzy memory.  I remember we went to see it at the early show and then snuck in to see The Blues Brothers later.

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #95 on: August 22, 2008, 02:06:57 am »
Here's another piece of 80's greatness -  Spies like Us - pure genius and I sill find myself quoting(in my head) Nobody seems to remember it around here. Maybe it wasn't that good - oh well.
I remember it and it definately had some great lines, but it was never one of my favorites.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #96 on: August 22, 2008, 09:20:29 am »
Look for early appearances of Sam Raimi and Joel Coen as guards in Spies Like Us. As for the movie, it has a few decent moments, but it's nothing spectacular.

Night of the Comet is great. Another so-bad-it's-good Kelly Maroney film is Chopping Mall (aka Killbots).

The Ninja trilogy (Enter, Return, and Domination) isn't on DVD, but can be found other ways. (Matter of fact, Enter the Ninja is on Hulu)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 09:22:10 am by GinsuVictim »

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #97 on: August 22, 2008, 04:22:03 pm »
I'm going to add the Brave Little Toaster to the list (though it might not be 80's).
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

Kangum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2018, 07:46:20 am
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2008, 04:26:27 pm »
if you enjoyed flight of the navigater you may enjoy a 80s movie called explorer. its about a bunch of kids that build a spaceship out of a old tilt a whirl.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 04:28:24 pm by Kangum »

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2008, 04:34:06 pm »
if you enjoyed flight of the navigater you may enjoy a 80s movie called explorer. its about a bunch of kids that build a spaceship out of a old tilt a whirl.

I have that on DVD. It was one of my favorites as a kid. I sooooo wanted to build one of those things, just so I could wear a mask and eat Cheetos! :laugh2:

I did not think the movie held up well though. It was still awesome up till the point the stupid aliens came into the picture.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: August 22, 2008, 07:44:35 pm »
It's called Explorer(s). Another early River Phoenix (dork with glasses no less!) flick. Ethan Hawke, too, before anybody knew who he was. The thing is, they could've built it out of anything. Essentially, they could've not built anything, and just used the 'bubble' as a ship, as that's really what was the ship.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2008, 09:34:51 pm »
In light of the Olympics....anyone remember an 80's movie called "American Anthem"?

mameotron

• Offline Offline
  • A mamer is you...
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2008, 10:28:57 pm »
Yes!  I remember the hot chick in it, because a girl in my high school looked just like her.  She got real popular right after the movie came out.

mameotron

• Offline Offline
  • A mamer is you...
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2008, 10:30:39 pm »
Oh, and I just remembered another great movie:

Krull

I still like that one, and I watch it every now an then.  My wife still hates it.  :dunno

Liam Nieson (sp?) is in it, too.

jediz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2015, 01:51:06 pm
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2008, 10:38:22 am »
Yes!  I remember the hot chick in it, because a girl in my high school looked just like her.  She got real popular right after the movie came out.

Ah yes - Janet Jones - my wife and I were just joking about this the other night, she was way hot. It also had Mitch Gaylord - one of the 84 olympic gymnasts in it.

Which reminds me - who remembers RAD? Another 84 gymnast was in that, Bart Conner. He actually lives about about 30 seconds away, I have always wanted get him to sign a copy of it, just because it is so bad.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2008, 08:11:23 pm »

Krull

I still like that one, and I watch it every now an then.  My wife still hates it.  :dunno

Liam Nieson (sp?) is in it, too.

Krull was just really bad. And, for being two hours, it seemed to have little plot coherence. Plus they got the guy who did the music for Star Trek II and it sounded like he basically ripped off of it. Love the game, though.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

M.Lanza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2015, 09:51:03 am
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2008, 10:36:09 pm »
No Mad Max or Road Warrior?
Those movies are still awesome and I still have to watch them at least once a year.

The thing I remember most about the 80's was that there were more movies that
had at least one boob scene than movies that didn't.
Trample the weak, hurdle the dead

Singapura

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2015, 08:43:05 pm
  • I, for one welcome our new insect overlords!
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2008, 02:15:09 am »

Krull

I remember that one because my friend and I were the only two people in the cinema   :) For that  matter, what about Legend with a very young Tom Cruise before he went all loopy and Scientologyly. Or Dragonslayer with Peter MacNicol  as a musclebound hero no less  ::) A bit different from the role he played in Ally Mbeal  8)
Wish list: Galaga, Pacman, Pooyan, Star Wars cockpit, Gauntlet, Tron

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

ratzz

« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2008, 03:33:38 am »
Besides most of the great ones already mentioned...

The Last Starfighter
War Games

Forgot: Batman

War Games was a FANTASTIC film and I watched it on DVD not too long ago.

Anyone seen the sequel yet? "The Dead Code" -- PPPPEEEEEWWW, that was a stinker of a movie. Thank god I didn't pay to see it!

Kangum

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2008, 05:17:31 am »
speaking of 80s movies i just watched license to drive today. i hadnt seen that in awhile. every once and awhile something comes on and its like heeeeey i remember that.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2008, 07:21:26 am »
Green Ice with Omar Sharif.  :applaud:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: August 26, 2008, 05:24:45 pm »
No Mad Max or Road Warrior?
Those movies are still awesome and I still have to watch them at least once a year.

The thing I remember most about the 80's was that there were more movies that
had at least one boob scene than movies that didn't.

It's probably in the fairly extensive list someone posted early on.

License to Drive....Mark Harmon, right?
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #112 on: August 26, 2008, 05:48:19 pm »
License to Drive....Mark Harmon, right?

Nope, the Coreys.

Kangum

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: August 26, 2008, 05:55:20 pm »
comming to america wasnt on that list.   i didnt see the breakfast club mentioned.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 06:00:00 pm by Kangum »

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2008, 07:14:24 pm »
Raging Bull
Amadeus
Ran
Kagemusha
My Neighbor Totoro(!)
Brazil
A Christmas Story
This is Spinal Tap
The Blues Brothers
Grave of Fireflies
Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal FTW!
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2008, 07:44:12 pm »
i didnt see the breakfast club mentioned.

Really? Not even in the third post....by me.

And yeah saint, Heavy Metal for damn sure!

Though there's a character named Stern in it, so certain people will scoff at it. ;)

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2008, 06:52:55 pm »
I watched Heavy Metal again recently. I can say it was my last time. And on that note, how about 80s Rated-R movies that are still good? Risky Business was still okay. Stripes wasn't bad. Some yet to see:

Losin It

Porky's (definitely a must review)

Some Kind of Hero

Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2008, 07:01:34 pm »
And on that note, how about 80s Rated-R movies that are still good? Risky Business was still okay. Stripes wasn't bad.
I still enjoy Robocop, which I'm sure has been mentioned already.  Something I found interesting that I just learned a few weeks ago, Robocop was originally going to be rated X (this was before NC-17 existed), so they removed a fair amount of the gore to get it to rated R.  I believe the now released "unrated" version is the original X-rated cut of the movie.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2008, 08:07:12 am »
And on that note, how about 80s Rated-R movies that are still good? Risky Business was still okay. Stripes wasn't bad.
I still enjoy Robocop, which I'm sure has been mentioned already.  Something I found interesting that I just learned a few weeks ago, Robocop was originally going to be rated X (this was before NC-17 existed), so they removed a fair amount of the gore to get it to rated R.  I believe the now released "unrated" version is the original X-rated cut of the movie.

I watched RoboCop again before I started my 80's binge. That movie held up EXTREMELY well. Hell, it was even better because I understood more of the movie since I am an adult now.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2008, 09:25:55 am »
I don't see the love for Stripes. Half of it was good, but the other half sucked, and it did not hold up well.