Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Spy Hunter  (Read 5901 times)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
Spy Hunter
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:20:35 pm »
Take a gander at what I just bought for $300.00...

It works!  Cab is in EXCELLENT shape.  Playfield is in OK shape.  There are 2 or 3 spots next to inserts that have wore down to wood and one nasty spot in the upper middle part that has wore down though nothing where intricate artwork is so it should be easy to restore.  There are also a few lamps dead.

Of course it's upstairs so I will be working to get it out.

At $300.00 I simply couldn't pass. 
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Q*Bert_OP

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2012, 07:20:42 pm
  • Oh yes, we did!
Re: Spy Hunter
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 07:57:52 pm »
Have you played this pin before?  :-X

Well, good luck with it anyways!
WTB: The Grid by Midway (2001), looking for 2 or more complete games, and large marquee

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 09:58:55 pm »
Have you played this pin before?  :-X

Well, good luck with it anyways!

It's not the most popular of pins...most people are turned off by the left side where you seem to always get dunked...but if you close the gate as soon as you start the game,  it makes life much easier.  I've only played a handful of games,  but overall it's not that bad.  For a single level game I like it frankly.

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 10:38:27 am »
Here are some better pix of the game (which I picked up yesterday)....

Overall the game is in decent condition...

The side artwork is easily in excellent condition...and the artwork on the side of the backbox,  while not quite as spanky as the side art,  is in very good condition none the less...

If only the playfield was in as good of condition.  There is two areas of concern.  First is the bottom playfield area.  There is some paint loss around a few of the inserts.  Nothing too difficult to fix I imagine...

Next is the worst of the damage.  A few of the inserts at the top of the playfield have significant paint loss (between them, etc.).  Luckily,  it isn't in an area that looks too difficult to fix even for the amateur painter.

Overall I would estimate the playfield is in "OK" condition.  By the way...all those white specks you see appear to be dry wax.  It wipes up nicely...

Aside from the cosmetic damage,  I have a couple of bulbs out on the playfield.  One of the leaf-switches isn't registering.  The pop-bumper requires a decent hit to it to activate (can this be adjusted?).  And the gate at the bottom left doesn't open fully (new spring needed). 

I plan on shopping it out and replacing all the rubber (though he said it was replaced about 2 years ago).  My plan of action for the wear spots is to paint it with acrylic paint and then cover the area with mylar.  Any opinions on this?

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:40:00 am by FrizzleFried »

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 01:05:46 pm »
If you are shopping anyways, touch up the paint while the playfield is stripped and varathane the whole thing. Then you will have a shiny new playfield.

And what the hell is up with the lower playfield layout? Mental note: never use right lower flipper.  ;D

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 10:12:11 am »
If you are shopping anyways, touch up the paint while the playfield is stripped and varathane the whole thing. Then you will have a shiny new playfield.

And what the hell is up with the lower playfield layout? Mental note: never use right lower flipper.  ;D

Perhaps I should look in to what it takes to clear coat...

...also,  anyone have any tricks on how to remove "grain" lines (as seen in the upper playfield photo in the black areas).

Also,  I learned to to close the gate on the inside lane... it's a timing "skill" shot when entering the playfield.  I can get it about 3x out of 4...it sure makes the game a lot funner (constantly draining sucks).  I suspect once I adjust and clean the pop-bumber it will help as well...right now you can run in to it and it won't pop...it needs a little force.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:36:49 am »
You are stuck with the 'grain lines'. Just comes with the territory of a 20-30 year old piece of painted wood.

Clearcoating isn't hard. Just make sure you do everything you want to the playfield (touch ups, leveling inserts, etc). Clean the playfield thoroughly. Spray on several coats of polyurethane. sand with very high grit sandpaper to smooth out clear. Polish with Novus, and then wax.

I know a guy locally that has done every SS machine he has, and they all look great. He just uses the spraycan of gloss poly you can get at Wally World.

That is the brand, but in a spray can.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 03:44:29 pm »
I've gone to 10 different stores trying to find spray minwax or varathane, and treated like I was an idiot when I asked about it at every single one of them.

Really? That is interesting. There are several brands, and varying levels of gloss of each at Wal-Mart. I've also seen the spray stuff at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. I have a can of semi gloss in the garage right now.