Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: On a slow boat from China.. (It's in!!!)  (Read 6131 times)

Singapura

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2015, 08:43:05 pm
  • I, for one welcome our new insect overlords!
Re: On a slow boat from China.. (It's in!!!)
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2008, 04:33:58 am »
$750 for that?

Mameroom needs an outlet in Singapore.  Quick!

I see you're a big Mameroom fan. I doubt however that Mameroom can make this including the monitor, wiring, joysticks, buttons, bezel, speakers and coinbox for less.  On the other hand, you already started your postings prejudiced, so it's hard to take your judgement seriously.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 04:37:46 am by Singapura »
Wish list: Galaga, Pacman, Pooyan, Star Wars cockpit, Gauntlet, Tron

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

TPB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2021, 09:12:52 pm
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2008, 08:26:06 am »

I doubt however that Mameroom can make this including the monitor, wiring, joysticks, buttons, bezel, speakers and coinbox for less.

Don't forget the artwork, plexi, T-molding, and the fact it came fully assembled.  Plus the included second control panel.

The artwork's quite nice.  Obviously a stock-standard design won't be to everyone's individual taste, but it's better than bare panels, and can always be replaced if desired.

On the other hand, you already started your postings prejudiced, so it's hard to take your judgement seriously.

ark_ader, you really are piling on the criticism.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2008, 07:27:35 pm »

I doubt however that Mameroom can make this including the monitor, wiring, joysticks, buttons, bezel, speakers and coinbox for less.

Don't forget the artwork, plexi, T-molding, and the fact it came fully assembled.  Plus the included second control panel.

The artwork's quite nice.  Obviously a stock-standard design won't be to everyone's individual taste, but it's better than bare panels, and can always be replaced if desired.

On the other hand, you already started your postings prejudiced, so it's hard to take your judgement seriously.

ark_ader, you really are piling on the criticism.

Yeah, so sorry about that.  Honesty can be raw indirectly.

Its a nice, beautiful cabinet we would all love to have over here.

I know you will have years of usage out of it.

Have a nice day.   :cheers:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Singapura

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2008, 09:10:25 pm »
It's not your criticism that's hard to take, it's your prejudist remarks against China and Chinese. I guess every good thread needs a resident troll :dunno I don't mind you not liking the cab because  ugly cabs can be changed a lot easier than ugly prejudice.

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2008, 10:07:08 pm »
I think all things considered, it's fine and pretty decently priced. Remember that Arcade Legends charges at least twice that for a cocktail. On monitor setting: use a mirror, say like one your girlfriend might have hanging on her door.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2008, 10:28:32 pm »
For the price you got a great deal.  Not sure why ark is raising such a stink over it.  Looks like a nice set up considering your circumstances.  Congrats.
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2008, 10:35:56 pm »
I like it, looks good!

My next arcade will be prefab I think.

Congrats!!!!
"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2008, 04:41:21 pm »
It's not your criticism that's hard to take, it's your prejudiced remarks against China and Chinese. I guess every good thread needs a resident troll :dunno I don't mind you not liking the cab because ugly cabs can be changed a lot easier than ugly prejudice.

I hate China and the Chinese?  Where do you get that from?

I just regarded the cab you bought was constructed poorly, with cheesy artwork for $750.

I love China and the Chinese, have three friends who are Chinese. I find your comments personal and hurtful, even though I made some comments of your cab, doesn't mean you can infer that I am racist or hate any people of any country.

Those kind of comments are just childish and unwanted on this board.  I'll let Saint know of your issues with me and your comments, which are grounds for slander BTW.   ::)

When you make a post on any message baord, you will tend to find that some people do not share in your optimism.  Other people might find you post laughable, insulting, or fantasy.  Some people just ignore and carry on.  They laugh at you on the inside.

I don't.  If I do not like something I am honest and respond accordingly.  If you cannot take criticism then please do not post. There are two sides of every conversation, point or view.  Making personal attacks because you cannot communicate with someone who is not "sharing your point of view" is childish.

Anyone wants to disagree with me send a PM.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 11:51:05 pm by ark_ader »

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2008, 04:44:36 pm »
Way to spin dude! You're the victim!  :laugh2:

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2008, 05:57:42 pm »
 :jerry

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2020, 09:26:27 pm
  • A young guy feeling older than sin......
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2008, 07:06:13 pm »
  If you cannot take criticism then please do not post. ............Anyone wants to disagree with me send a PM.

I love the irony of him saying that if you can't take criticism, don't post, yet at the same time he says that if someone disagrees with him they should go through PM and basically not post it.  So I guess it's "do as I say, not as I do?".   :P ;D :laugh2:
Donkey Kong High Scores:
1): 49,500
2): 35,600
3): 30,100
4): 29,400
5): 28,200

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2008, 09:42:38 pm »
  If you cannot take criticism then please do not post. ............Anyone wants to disagree with me send a PM.

I love the irony of him saying that if you can't take criticism, don't post, yet at the same time he says that if someone disagrees with him they should go through PM and basically not post it.  So I guess it's "do as I say, not as I do?".   :P ;D :laugh2:

Yeah that didn't work right did it?  Nice catch Jdurg.   :dizzy:

I'm still trying to figure out where I said I hated the Chinese......

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2020, 09:26:27 pm
  • A young guy feeling older than sin......
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2008, 11:20:12 pm »
Yeah.  Got the intent, but the delivery was a bit rough.   :cheers:
Donkey Kong High Scores:
1): 49,500
2): 35,600
3): 30,100
4): 29,400
5): 28,200

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2008, 02:46:24 am »
I'm still trying to figure out where I said I hated the Chinese......
I'm still trying to figure out where anyone said that you hated the Chinese......
This signature is intentionally left blank

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:23:15 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2008, 06:34:58 am »
singapore is basically a city. so theres not a lot of these kind of hobbies going. i do know they have a modelling scene, but then you can get away with a smaller work space to build models...

Singapore has more people per square foot (sorry, square meter) than Hong Kong, Tokyo, Vatican City or pretty much whatever other city you can come up with.

both these statements are true

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

TPB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2008, 09:54:05 am »
ark_ader,

Maybe it was your general tone that anything Chinese built, must be crap.

It's like saying they're a bunch of useless SOB's who can't build anything good.

You're not the only one to imply this, but you took it the furthest.

You said it'd have "Artwork painted with lead", and totally belittled it, then implied that a "U.S.A. built cab" from Mameroom would leave it for dead.

Let's face it, the Chinese do need to work on improving their quality control and safety regulations, your "lead paint" remark was based on fact, with all the toy recalls that have taken place due to precisely that issue.

I don't believe you had racist intent.  But Singapura probably took it that way, it appears to be a sore point :

Despite all the  propaganda against Chinese products, there are a lot of good things coming from that country. Even "proudly designed in the U.S.A." often means "...but manufactured in the P.R.C."  Microsoft, Apple and Dell to name a few all have factories in the "free economic zone" of Shenzen, near Hong Kong. I've been there and the area looks a lot more modern and better kept than the early 1900 industrial complexes in Detroit or Chicago. Chinese branded hifi equipment is some of the best in the world (Cayin for instance) and even Chinese cars are getting better.

... now, how about we give him a break, and return the thread to it's purpose, being a discussion of his new cab.    :)

I'm sure Singapura realises that along with the compliments, criticism will also be offered ... it is a public forum, after all ... that's fine, but try to present any criticism in a polite and constructive manner.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:00:50 am by TPB »

TPB

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2008, 09:56:14 am »
[duplicate post]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 09:58:36 am by TPB »

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2008, 11:06:23 am »
The cabinet looks great for that price!  Now you can start charging admission.   ;D 

Ark is being a ---meecrob--- in this thread and I'm disappointed to see him crapping in it at every turn.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2008, 01:40:36 pm »
ark_ader's comments are condescending, filled with mockery, and just plain ignorant.

Very sad indeed.

China is a very large place, making tons of stuff for USA and other countries.
While there may be some companies in china that produce some inferior
quality...  there are a lot more that are producing top quality parts and
devices.

China has over 2000 yrs worth of history that can be traced back, as a lot
of it was documented very well.   As far as I recall,  they invented gunpowder.
They had devised incredible herbal medical treatments that cured many complex
ailments - without the need for surgeries... some of which is being
synthesized by western drug companies today.   They also were the
home to the most advanced martial arts systems ever devised.   Most of which
were copied by just about every other art - but pretty much watered down
compared to the real depths of Chinese arts.

They also have an amazing collection of artists.  Such amazing detailed pieces &
sculptures.  Hand carved dragons scaling massive posts.  Incredible pottery
techniques such as Cloisonne.

Hmm - from wiki:

Among the scientific accomplishments of ancient China were paper (not papyrus) and papermaking, woodblock printing and movable type printing, the early lodestone and magnetic compass, gunpowder, toilet paper, early seismological detectors, matches, dry docks, pound locks, sliding calipers, the double-action piston pump, blast furnace and cast iron, the iron plough, the multi-tube seed drill, the wheelbarrow, the suspension bridge, the parachute, natural gas as fuel, the escapement mechanism for clocks, the differential gear for the South Pointing Chariot, the hydraulic-powered armillary sphere, the hydraulic-powered trip hammer, the mechanical chain drive, the mechanical belt drive, the raised-relief map, the propeller, the crossbow, the cannon, the rocket, the multistage rocket, etc. Chinese astronomers were among the first to record observations of a supernova. The work of the astronomer Shen Kuo (1031–1095) alone was most impressive, as he theorized that the sun and moon were spherical, corrected the position of the polestar with his improved sighting tube, discovered the concept of true north, wrote of planetary motions such as retrogradation, and compared the orbital paths of the planets to points on the shape of a rotating willow leaf. With evidence for them, he also postulated geological theories for the processes of land formation in geomorphology and climate change in paleoclimatology. Yet there were many other astronomers than Shen Kuo, such as Gan De, Shi Shen, Zhang Heng, Yi Xing, Zhang Sixun, Su Song, Guo Shoujing, Xu Guangqi, etc. Chinese mathematics evolved independently of Greek mathematics and is therefore of great interest in the history of mathematics. The Chinese were also keen on documenting all of their technological achievements, such as in the Tiangong Kaiwu encyclopedia written by Song Yingxing (1587–1666).

bvicarious

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 09:43:14 am
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2008, 02:48:35 pm »
Let's not forget that the toys were painted with lead paint with the full knowledge of the american companies that ordered them, to increase their profit margins. If you pay for garbage, you're going to get garbage.

Singapura

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2008, 08:55:38 pm »
Okay guys, let's get back to the topic. Off course you're allowed to give criticism! I don't like the plastic blue film too much myself but most Asians love that stuff and it's built for the Asian market. I've had some trouble tuning the monitor because there's no manual with it It appears to be a modified Wei-Ya but I'm still not too sure about that. The factory was most helpful and even sent me a few pages from their own manual, translated by the sales-lady. I will order a j-Pac and replace the 1000-in-1 with a mamed PC because most games I like aren't on the board. The second CP is getting a trackball. I'm working on a way to quickly replace the CP's so I have one with two joysticks and one with a trackbal and a 4 way.

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2008, 09:24:13 pm »
"Ive said it before & I will say it again, man I love being a turtle"

anyway, for $750 I would buy this cab in a heartbeat......do the sell to the US....?

"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2008, 11:49:58 pm »
ark_ader's comments are condescending, filled with mockery, and just plain ignorant.

Very sad indeed.

China is a very large place, making tons of stuff for USA and other countries.
While there may be some companies in china that produce some inferior
quality...  there are a lot more that are producing top quality parts and
devices.

China has over 2000 yrs worth of history that can be traced back, as a lot
of it was documented very well.   As far as I recall,  they invented gunpowder.
They had devised incredible herbal medical treatments that cured many complex
ailments - without the need for surgeries... some of which is being
synthesized by western drug companies today.   They also were the
home to the most advanced martial arts systems ever devised.   Most of which
were copied by just about every other art - but pretty much watered down
compared to the real depths of Chinese arts.

They also have an amazing collection of artists.  Such amazing detailed pieces &
sculptures.  Hand carved dragons scaling massive posts.  Incredible pottery
techniques such as Cloisonne.

Hmm - from wiki:

Among the scientific accomplishments of ancient China were paper (not papyrus) and papermaking, woodblock printing and movable type printing, the early lodestone and magnetic compass, gunpowder, toilet paper, early seismological detectors, matches, dry docks, pound locks, sliding calipers, the double-action piston pump, blast furnace and cast iron, the iron plough, the multi-tube seed drill, the wheelbarrow, the suspension bridge, the parachute, natural gas as fuel, the escapement mechanism for clocks, the differential gear for the South Pointing Chariot, the hydraulic-powered armillary sphere, the hydraulic-powered trip hammer, the mechanical chain drive, the mechanical belt drive, the raised-relief map, the propeller, the crossbow, the cannon, the rocket, the multistage rocket, etc. Chinese astronomers were among the first to record observations of a supernova. The work of the astronomer Shen Kuo (1031–1095) alone was most impressive, as he theorized that the sun and moon were spherical, corrected the position of the polestar with his improved sighting tube, discovered the concept of true north, wrote of planetary motions such as retrogradation, and compared the orbital paths of the planets to points on the shape of a rotating willow leaf. With evidence for them, he also postulated geological theories for the processes of land formation in geomorphology and climate change in paleoclimatology. Yet there were many other astronomers than Shen Kuo, such as Gan De, Shi Shen, Zhang Heng, Yi Xing, Zhang Sixun, Su Song, Guo Shoujing, Xu Guangqi, etc. Chinese mathematics evolved independently of Greek mathematics and is therefore of great interest in the history of mathematics. The Chinese were also keen on documenting all of their technological achievements, such as in the Tiangong Kaiwu encyclopedia written by Song Yingxing (1587–1666).

Great!  Thanks for that, maybe a link in future would save all that cut and paste.  I do know some Chinese history, and watch the Discovery channel.  I haven't seen an episode that details arcade cabinet design and manufacturer, since the CHinese government in the past kinda hated gambling machines of any sort.  Heck they hated classical and western music at one point.

Now that you have indicated that China is a great superpower, based on generations and generations of skilled craft, linked ties with many countries, outputting huge amounts of products for Wallyworld and K-mart, can you please just answer me one small question:

What point are you trying to make with that post? 

We are discussing a cabinet that was made in China for a customer in Singapore that was over $750, which looked on the pictures as something you would buy at Pier 1 Imports.  I was almost surprised that the cab did not come with matching bowls and dishes.

I applaud Chinese skills and ingenuity, hate their Human Rights Issues, and would love to go to Hong Kong and buy some cool gear you cannot get in the shops over here.  I do not applaud the workmanship that went into Singapura's cab, as he has just finished telling us he wants to MAME it and rework the CP.  He shouldn't have to.

I'm sure that will leave a bad taste in many mouths for my honest comments, and I would like to take this opportunity to get back to the thread with a question for Singapura:

Are you going to add some padding to the CP, and utilise a low stool for operation, or are you going to augment the CP to make it higher for stand up use?

Singapura

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2008, 01:12:22 am »
I'm not going to rework the CP because it's badly made but because I want a trackball in it and already had one waiting. I do want to customize it but am currently enjoying playing on it too much. The cab is exactly high enough to sit in front of it with my legs under the CP and I'm not a short guy (1.82m). There's no need to raise or lower it. I haven't seen too many stand ups here (or in the rest of Asia for that matter) unless you count shooters. By the way, I found out that the marquee is lit! The joysticks are Zippy sticks which are sold by OzStick and can be switched.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 01:18:56 am by Singapura »