Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A way to clean paint off of plastics? *SUCESS!!*  (Read 9695 times)

Keroppi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2022, 05:40:37 pm
A way to clean paint off of plastics? *SUCESS!!*
« on: June 03, 2008, 09:19:40 am »
So I got my 2nd pin this weekend, a beaten old EM for $50  :applaud: I got it working (half of why it was $50)...and now to the other half. Some moron didn't care for the theme, and decided to paint over the 'objectionable' material. On the backglass, on the cabinet, on the playfield, on the plastics.  :angry: So, I tried the old scrubber and hot water, which works wonders for taking spraypaint off of plexi. No go. This isn't spraypaint. I am really worried it's not even acrylic. maybe oil based or hell it could even be nailpolish. I know of plenty of stuff like naptha that will take the paint off, but what can I try that won't destroy the plastic? Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 02:26:19 am by Keroppi »

Keroppi

• Offline Offline
Re: A way to clean paint off of plastics?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 12:00:48 pm »
Yeah, I'll post some pics when I get home ("working" right now.)  ;D

I am not worried about the glass, I even figure I can use Naptha or something on the cabinet/playfield without destroying it if I am gentle. It's just that I know almost everything will either fog/cloud or melt the plastic. I hope there's a way...

Mauzy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2020, 11:51:27 am
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 04:32:25 pm »
What was the name of the machine? Ive only seen a couple machines on the IPDB that would be objectionable enough to paint them over, but there weren't many of them made and most are in "gentlemens clubs". The conversion of Big Deal comes to mind here...
"Son, all hobbies suck. But if you keep at it, you might find you managed to kill some precious time."

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 05:14:04 pm »
Good luck if it is oil based. I cleaned off a glass bezel that was coated with black oil based. My bathtub still has black smears!  ;D

Razor blade ended up being my best friend.

Keroppi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 08:59:49 pm »
Thanks for the tips. The game is Gulfstream. Not really objectionable, just girls in bathing suits. Drawn abstract at that! The guy was just a quack. (He even sharpied over the itty bitty black & white photo on the cover of the owners manual!!)

Mauzy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 10:22:00 pm »
Wow. I just checked that on the database. Id hate to see what that guy would do to a Playboy machine...
"Son, all hobbies suck. But if you keep at it, you might find you managed to kill some precious time."

Keroppi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 08:58:08 am »
Yeah. I'm telling you, it's retarded. For Jim, and anyone else who wanted to see the lunacy, I uploaded an assload of hi res pics for all to laugh at: http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Keroppi_667/Gulfstream/

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 12:47:27 pm »
You know what's funny? The censors actually give the illusion that the graphics are actually naughty.

Keroppi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 01:24:39 pm »
I WISH it was funny  ::)
I had someone recommend testor's brush cleaner as having been tried, and having not hurt the plastic.  :dunno
I think I'll try it tonight if I can make it by the hobby store before they close. Wish me luck!

Mauzy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 08:04:45 pm »
Thats one of the craziest damn things Ive ever seen.

EDIT: Just noticed the backglass. I wouldnt even bother trying to get that paint off. Looks pretty wrecked, though I highly doubt you'd be able to find a replacement...

Keroppi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 11:15:28 pm »
The paint is on the front of  the backglass. It will  come off no problem.  The "wreck" he is talking  about is the flaking of the  silkscreen on the back.  The flaking is not in a lighted  area; paint will fix that up no  problem. If you call that trash, send all your "trash" to me, because that is an easily fixable backglass :dunno
 ...the plastics, on the other  hand, may make this machine due for a theme change...

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 02:31:33 pm »
NO MORE!!

Mauzy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 04:05:49 pm »
The paint is on the front of  the backglass. It will  come off no problem.  The "wreck" he is talking  about is the flaking of the  silkscreen on the back.  The flaking is not in a lighted  area; paint will fix that up no  problem. If you call that trash, send all your "trash" to me, because that is an easily fixable backglass :dunno
 ...the plastics, on the other  hand, may make this machine due for a theme change...

Yeah, For some reason i was thinking of how bad a repair on that would look if it was a lighted section. :dunno Dunno why i thought a cloud would be lit...

I spent 8 hours in a hot school building yesterday. Fumes mustve got me a bit.

Keroppi

• Offline Offline
Re: A way to clean paint off of plastics? *SUCESS!!*
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 04:23:20 pm »
All hail the mighty testors enamel thinner:  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

...it cleaned the plastics off without causing any further damage; as well as I could ask of any product:

...unfortunately, th paint/nailpolish/whatever the guy used melted/damaged the finish, so in the right light you can still clearly see where the paint was. At least they are presentable now, and under the glass, I don't think it'll be noticeable at all, because the glass will reflect that "right light" instead:

...a large number of "after" pictures have been added to the album: http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Keroppi_667/Gulfstream/ ...it might not look like it, but between the cleaning and a ful novus treatment, it took me over 3 hours to go those plastics back in shape. They have a couple touch-ups to do (that the paint was hiding)...I had such luck on the plastics that I decided to start on the playfield. Never before has "stripping" meant so many things at once here, now she's been stipped to what looks like a nighty  ;D:

...just to clarify how much of a tool this guy was, I found a STAPLE in the playfield by the girl's knee. Meaning he obviously tried to staple something over her "naughty parts" before resorting to painting over the sinful bikini:

...I stopped here, to give the playfield a break. I'm sure the thinner isn't nice on the original paint, and I want to damage it as little as possible. It may never come fully clean, I am going to investigate other options to clean off the rest. At least at this point, It is clear enough to get the lines and colors for a re-paint. I am still on the fence as to whether or not to restore the machine, or entirely re-theme it. After a little more work and a tough decision, I will update the thread; should it be moved to either restorations or project announcements, or left here since it's a pinball machine?

...on another note, if I restore, there is a huge issue with the apron to deal with. There is a distributor/op logo that I  have no idea how to remove. It almost looks silk'd right onto the apron  :o :

...any suggestions/opinions?

Mauzy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 05:29:44 pm »
Wow. Good to see that worked so well! Have you tried it on the backglass yet?

Keroppi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 10:05:14 pm »
No, mainly because I can't remove the backglass yet. Older pins like this one have heads/locks that open from the back. I have to unlock/open the back of the head to remove the backglass (which is locked in place). Because of where it sits, I just physically cannot get to it right now. I am not worried about the paint on the front of the backglass at all. It will come off no problem. But I also don't see any reason to pull it until I am ready to give it a full refresh, which means an order of paints, brushes, and triplethick. Until then, I figured I'd give the stuff I can reach easily (ie plastics and playfield) a bit of attention.

Keroppi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 07:28:18 pm »
Well I cleaned the playfield today. I HIGHLY recommended against doing it like I did, unless your playfield is in a similar condition, and/or you're planning on giving it a similar treatment (repaint/refinish)...I used Mr. Clean Magic Eraser+Rubbing alcohol. It will clean the dirt out of the cracks/ball swirls, but bear in mind it's the equivalent to light sanding, so you would never want to do this to a decent playfield. This one was already splitting and in piss poor shape, so really it helped it if anything. If I restore, the playfield is now ready for touchup paint/leveling, then finishing. If I retheme it, I just wasted a couple hours of time that I could've accomplished in 10 minutes with an orbital sander. It took the rest of the black paint off, but refused to remove it from the cracks. I tried my best, and it just ate it ALL away in that spot (remember, it's like sanding?):

You would be amazed, however, to see the difference it made on the weathered playfield. I did the right half first:

and done:

You can see some of the damage this machine sustained in the last 35 years in that last shot. Of course, full res pics of these + more can be found in the current album: http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc272/Keroppi_667/

I am still on the fence on this one, but I can definitely say it looks 1000 times better. Should I restore it?

Mauzy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 08:02:26 pm »
If you have the time and patience (neither of which I would have...), you should. If nothing else, it would prolly help you fetch a few more bucks if you go to sell it in the future...

Keroppi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 11:02:41 am »
Well, I have patience, but I'm not in it for the money. I really have no plans on selling any of my pins in the forseeable future. It would be a no-brainer if I actually liked the theme, but I don't really care for it. All in all it would be easier to restore than retheme, because I already have (now useable) plastics, a fair backglass, and only touchup paint and finishing. To retheme it, I would have to replace all the plastics, backglass, pop bumper tops, etc, and sand the playfield/cabinet entirely bare. A lot more work, to be sure, but it would give me a totally custom one-off machine that I would enjoy/be proud of a lot more. Also it would also be much more expensive. Its just that the machine is in bad shape, but not too far gone. It makes the decision really hard.  :banghead:

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 11:38:17 am »
Go for a restore. Your work so far is excellent. and a 2nd on the magic eraser - It is like night and day on a badly ball swirled playfield.

Keroppi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 01:04:38 pm »
Thanks for the opinion on restore. The magic eraser is AWESOME. The only bad part is it erases the clearcoat/laquer/whatever finish off of the playfield. The stuff really might as well be fine sandpaper. Rubbing alcohol might not have been the best liquid to use, but it definitely worked better wet (though YMMV)...I thought I was scrubbing pretty gentle in the area by the girls leg, and when I picked up the sponge to see if it was even making a difference, low and behold it took ALL of the paint clean off!  :angry: oh well, at least she's not dressed like a muslim at the beach anymore  ;)

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 01:09:13 pm »
I've scrubbed for what has seemed like forever on my CA pin with a magic eraser. I was worried at first about stripping paint, but I haven't even come close. I have worked dry though. I don't think alcohol is very good for the wood.

Keroppi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 01:47:37 pm »
I tried working dry, and I was eating up the magic eraser, and it wasn't doing much of a damn thing to the swirls, a real minimal difference at best. The same happened when I tried the magic eraser to clean off a dirt ingrained CPO. I know the alcohol isn't good for the finish on the pf, but in the state it was in, it really didn't matter much, ANYTHING was an improvement. Throw in the rubbing alcohol, and it worked well, almost TOO well on the pf. I can clean a NASTY CPO in like 15 minutes flat to good as new though  ;D.

Evidently you have used it dry with success on a playfield? Did you notice any difference in the finish itself? Like wear quicker, or anything? I'd be interested to know whether the dry method can remove swirls without damaging the finish at all. Because I know without a shadow of a doubt the clearcoat on my playfield is about gone now, though it probably wasn't much there to begin with. I do, however have another pin with swirls that I'd like to clean up, but damned if I'm gonna refinish the whole pf to get rid of some swirls. If it doesn't remove the finish, I may grow enough patience for the dry method on the other pin, but I have my doubts about it.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 03:30:38 pm »
You're getting a nice looking machine for $50, IMO.  Supposed to be a good player, too.

To get that label off... strip the apron, stand it up, turn a can of compressed air upside down, and see if you can't freeze the adhesive on the label.  Screened aprons are a nightmare to clean, though.  Any kind of cleaning solution will dissolve the ink.  :/  I get the labels off best I can and patiently pick at the adhesive with my thumbnail.

Wonder if goof off 2 would take off the sticker without damaging the apron?

Keroppi

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 12:13:50 pm »
Thanks for the tip. Yeah for $50 I really can't complain, I bought it dead but it was only dead due to fubar'd coin door wiring, which I still have to get in proper order. At least I figured out which fires fire the machine up, but they appear to coin and start it all in one action. I can live with that.  :)

I don't know that goof off 2 will fix that "decal". I don't know if ANYTHING will fix it. I will take some better pics when I get home, but if you look closely at the pic of it currently in this thread, you might see what I don't think has been accurately conveyed: the "decal" on the apron does indeed appear to be SCREENED right over top of the original. I may be mistaken, but it looks like silkscreen, and it sure as hell isn't a regular decal  :badmood: If I restore, it may come to the point where I will either:
a) be repainting the williams logo on the apron (doesn't sound like any fun, does it?) or
b) leaving that beaten distributor logo as a bit of "patina" (I don't really care for that idea either)

???

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 02:49:18 pm »
It looks like a label, nothing to get a fingernail under?

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 03:44:57 pm »
Didn't they make labels back then that were some form of thin metal with a strong adhesive? Maybe that is what it is.