Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Current Building Code Door Openings?  (Read 1928 times)

Flinkly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2017, 01:14:21 pm
Current Building Code Door Openings?
« on: June 01, 2008, 05:52:03 pm »
ok, so how small (width) can doors be for interior and exterior doors?  my current house is 80 years old and has all sorts of opening sizes, but i hear it's more controlled nowadays.  i'm just trying to plan ahead for a cabinet redesign and trying to build it to be movable for the coming years.

also, if i was to use nice plywood and use no bracing from one side to the other, would the plywood provide enough strength?  i already built one cabinet and the internal bracing i used is a pain in my arse and is causing me to rebuild the cabinet slightly wider, with thinner bracing, and more thought put into the ability to be torn down and moved through small openings and rebuilt.  also, i am going to do a much better job of wiring.

fixedpigs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2022, 04:56:10 pm
  • warning: drew can't handle my avatar...
Re: Current Building Code Door Openings?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 06:25:12 pm »
interior doors tend to be 28" wide on the thinner side of the range...

it'd be safe to plan for 28"...

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 06:04:41 pm »
Ummm...  measure your doors?  Don't guess.

Miles
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 06:25:41 pm »
ok, so how small (width) can doors be for interior and exterior doors?  my current house is 80 years old and has all sorts of opening sizes, but i hear it's more controlled nowadays.

AFIK, there isn't any specific code for interior door width unless you're in a situation that requires ADA compliance. eg, a home intended to be a rental. Exterior doors, IIRC has a width requirement, but I've rarely seen this enforced unless, once again, the home is intended to be a rental or something. Even then, it wasn't strictly enforced in my own experience. Other people's mileage may vary however.

Case in point. I believe typical door height is around 80". My old cottage rental door height was around 71" tall. Just tall enough for my hair to brush the top as I walk through and barely tall/wide enough to squeeze a double fridge through sideways. My landlord took an eight pane door and cut it down to a six, then flipped it upside down to get it to fit properly. Apparently the city felt this silly door size was more than adequate for the cottage to qualify as a rental.

Another point, my father built the home I grew up in and the front door is (IIRC) around eight inches thick.

So yeah, you do get more conrolled sizes nowadays, but there still is no hard "standard", just common sizes.

When you move, just be prepared for very tight fits or remodel one of the exterior rooms with an exterior door. ;)