Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Free Arcade Cabinets in TN  (Read 6810 times)

kayoteq

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2022, 02:15:51 pm
    • Webmonkees arcade bin
Free Arcade Cabinets in TN
« on: May 30, 2008, 09:30:13 pm »
Not mine; my favorite local amusement operator has cleaned house, and piles (literally) of arcade are there for the picking. I have permission, the stuff is destined for the landfill, and of course weather..

Where? Elizabethton TN. Where exactly? Google Maps

Suggest this weekend, as it is unknown when they will get the big dump truck.

At least one each Galaga Pac Man Ms Pac and varied jamma cabinets and a few odd things. Shape is moderate and all I can say is most 'still have harnesses' but there's a few with CPU boards.. Good restoration starts, perhaps, or 'that darn special bracket I can't find anywhere.. as these do seem to have a lot of their brackets if not CPUs.. or CRTs (most dead or gone)

Anyone can pickup this weekend (that is what I asked the operator about in regards to 'putting it on the internet'  but each day of weather won't help.

If you pick up a Midway cabinet let me know as I removed the power supplies on a couple 'just in case' (purists: no scissors were used.)

Will have pictures online in a few hours. Not much detail, just shows the scope of the pile.

Oh, and what did I acquire? let's just say that now my avatar is technically correct now. :) :) :) some assembly required.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 09:35:27 pm by kayoteq »
If you order a pizza, put 1 quarter in their Galaga and the pizza's done before you are, you might be a video game junkie.. if you offer to tweak the crt , definitely.

kayoteq

• Offline Offline
    • Webmonkees arcade bin
Re: Free Arcade Cabinets in TN
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 03:34:41 am »
You should put this in the main forums so it can get more views. Not many people visit here.
Sorry, thought this would be the proper category for free things.. Anyways, here's pics- click to view full-size..

Current weather: Raining :(

If you order a pizza, put 1 quarter in their Galaga and the pizza's done before you are, you might be a video game junkie.. if you offer to tweak the crt , definitely.

kayoteq

• Offline Offline
    • Webmonkees arcade bin
Rescue some games for the cost of gas (East Tennessee 37643)
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 03:51:11 am »
I originally put this on the free stuff section, but someone suggested I put it on the main forum for more views--

Basically, local arcade operator cleaned house. This stuff is _outside_. Currently _in the rain.. I rescued what I can, no more room..
Go for it!

Bass Amusements (Click for google map)
1820 Greenbriar Cir
Elizabethton, TN 37643

Click at the pictures for details.. big pile o' stuff

This weekend would be best, especially what with the weather.. you could call them (link on google map) to ask when they're hauling
these to the dump.. lots of parts more than I need ;)

I have talked to these folks, and they had no objections to folks loading up what they want out of the stuff as long as you don't shatter a monitor on their driveway, mkay?

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:37:29 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
Re: Rescue some games for the cost of gas (East Tennessee 37643)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 04:11:16 am »

amazing. you would think it would have been easier, and more cost effective for them to announce a small auction for the next weekend. everything would have been cleared out then.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 07:20:44 am »
can you go get me the Lethal Enforcers guns? Any PCBs in there at all? I'd pay ya for your time
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2020, 09:22:50 pm
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 11:42:12 am »
i need a donkey kong cpo and marquee...if you find any, pick 'em up, and i'll pay you for them!  I live in knoxville, just a few hours south of Eliz!

kayoteq

• Offline Offline
    • Webmonkees arcade bin
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 12:11:08 pm »
can you go get me the Lethal Enforcers guns? Any PCBs in there at all? I'd pay ya for your time
I have no idea what goes where. However, one of those has 4 guns in it, one broken. maybe its 5 including broken one.
There's also a 'rifle' light gun as well.. I'll load them up on my next visit. Running out of room, the classic problem.

I've been removing whatever PCBs I can find there, condition unknown as of yet. I'll look specifically in the LE cab for stuff, though.

amazing. you would think it would have been easier, and more cost effective for them to announce a small auction for the next weekend. everything would have been cleared out then.

well.. It is a bit perplexing. I'll suggest to them perhaps that would be a solution. This looks like more than a year's worth of 'put it over there, we'll do something with it.. ' Who knows, maybe they _cant_ do it for some reason. Still, I would think a 'free giveaway' would be legal, coordinating things so all they really have to do is fill a truck up with the broken CRTs and be done with it.  They get their money from other methods such as site installs, so I guess to them, it's junk. I know my not-favorite arcade ops vendor wouldn't let most of this stuff out the door without a goodly chunk of money.. But these guys are positively indifferent, glad to have x pounds less to throw on the truck.

All I can do is go back, and load up what I can take off and load in the car. I can get loads of the 'narrow' coin doors, most with all the mechs.

All in all, even the slightly damp and rough, stripped Pac-Man is a better start for something than a woodworking project.
Bonus being if you get one then get hold of me, I may have removed that x thing and will gladly hand it over..

There will be a lot of WTT ads from me in the future on this stuff ;0 I have a cocktail I need cpos, overlay and glass. MY job gets me ending up all over the SE region, so some coordinated trades later perhaps. For now.. gas up the truck, drive over here and pick up a Midway!

kayoteq

• Offline Offline
    • Webmonkees arcade bin
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 12:18:07 pm »
i need a donkey kong cpo and marquee...if you find any, pick 'em up, and i'll pay you for them!  I live in knoxville, just a few hours south of Eliz!

Nintendo stuff is still rare, even in this pile. I've got a plexi  DK and DK3 monitor bezel, and a glass bootleg one with one ugly monkey!

How varied is this stuff in condition? my personal score, a Galaga, still has the operating manual. I was over at a friends showing that off, unfolding the schematics like it was a vintage Playboy. My friend, knowing how tech-oriented I am, inquired as to how many pages were stuck together..

Oh baby Z80 register sets.. ahh

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 01:41:33 pm »
It's sad that this is how these get treated....

I wish I lived closer....

AwesomeAlbert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2014, 12:14:28 am
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 06:01:30 pm »
go remove every marquee/bezel/controlpanel/coindoor/pcb/gun you can find !! i would like the street fighter 2.

a guy here where i got 4 cabs (one mk, 2 dks, and one centipede) had  cabs lying around like that in his backyards where it seems to be where he used to keep horses. he had cabs from ms pacman, pacman, qbert, outrun and so on. he said he had trown a whole bunch to the curb and was going to throw the rest in a few days to make room for an addition to his house. i tried to not say anything playing it cool so he can give me a good deal on the cabs. well i got those 4 from him ( the mk was in better shape, that one was being stored somewhere else) he said he would call me when he trew them away so i can go get what ever i wanted..... he never did  :dunno .

kayoteq

• Offline Offline
    • Webmonkees arcade bin
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 10:08:15 pm »
Continuing to strip and not snip.. Lots of switching power supplies, 2 Pac/Galaga power supplies, marquees, light rifle and 4 light guns.

jamma boards acquired: X-Men, Golden Tee 98 (working) one unknown lightgun game, and the Gremlin Carnival cpu guts.
Crystal Castles power supply since it hopefully will work in my Centipede. Also rescued the Escape From The Planet of Robot Monsters marquee; it will retrofit on my old AD cabinet or I'll backlight it and put it on the wall.

If someone asks really nice, I'll drag yet another  cab home if you arrange to pick it up in a week, or else it will be put in the yard with a sign next to it with your username, and "Did not pick up this classic cabinet" and then set on fire and posted on Youtube.

I'm kidding. Well, it would motivate a person to be timely, no?

WTT coming soon as soon as I re-assemble all the parts into a working OEM spec Galaga, then determine what I don't need. Which is a lot.
I found the Midway registration card in my initial cleanup..

Ways To Bribe Me Out Of Stuff: Midway cocktail parts; glass top, control panels. Working CRT.  EPROM F5 or is it 5F for the Galaga, labeled 'bad' on the board.

Oh, did I forget to mention the 3 extra Galaga cps? the cabinets are there, but you know.. if they end up in the dump, no use, but if someone here gets one and wants the cp, let me know.

About the CRTs in the pile; neighbor said one of the employees was going around breaking the necks off. Guess they didn't want folks re-using them or exploding or something.. He also said they once threw away a whole jukebox, he dragged it over to get the records, decided to plug it in and it worked. Explains a lot as to why all this stuff got thrown out.. nobody there must use eBay.. or visit here ;)

kayoteq

• Offline Offline
    • Webmonkees arcade bin
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 10:10:24 pm »

I have a bezel and some weird little metal cart-slot-looking thingy labeled 'Nintendo'. no cabs. Seems even a trashed one gets taken..

Ninten-doh

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2017, 10:37:18 am
  • I promise sweetie, this is my last cab purchase
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 11:05:53 pm »
Just saw this thread.  Holy cow!  Sent ya a PM

dstone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2021, 01:03:52 pm
    • Vectorcade
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 12:36:52 am »
That's some awsome stuff! Right up there next to one of the manufacturing plants for a company I used to work for... a shame I can't get them to haul some machines back for me through the inter-company shipping. *sigh* Nice area, though. Hopefully you score some good stuff!  :cheers:

tophatne1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2016, 12:05:15 am
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 02:08:07 am »
ugh. I would love to be close enough to get some of those cabinets like the galaga and ms pac. This makes me sad. At least someone got some of this stuff.

kayoteq

• Offline Offline
    • Webmonkees arcade bin
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2008, 01:55:18 pm »
ugh. I would love to be close enough to get some of those cabinets like the galaga and ms pac. This makes me sad. At least someone got some of this stuff.

While cabinets are heavy, clunky and not easily stored, a careful extraction has been taken upon each game for salvageable bits*, and will
appear soon in Buy/Sell/Trade and my website. At this point, though, I'm done loading up the car (4 trips, not counting my friend who loaded up his truck with stuff)

Arcade rescue success, other than the loss of the bodies. at least the brains, controls and coin slots will live on.

*no wires were cut in this exercise. It went against several instincts to gut classic cabs (further), but given the alternative, had to do it.

If it makes anyone feel better, the Pac and Ms Pacs are (were) in rough shape, would require repainting at the very least, no coin doors (one, in rough shape, removed) no CRTs, no CPUs, no control panels (except for the 3 Galaga control panels.. go figure) I got the 'best of' galaga, but that's only helped by donor parts from the other ones.  3 Galaga bezels, one Pac bezel. Given that they're original glass ones, I'm happy,
if only paranoid about moving them for flaking problems-- any tips on how to get them to stay on--maybe I should tape some posterboard over the back to keep contact to a minimum.

But had to share. Free is free is free. Anyone still planning to wander by there and pick up a cab, my original promise to 'return' the removed parts still stands. Post-weekend, the challenge now is getting the living room back from the arcade.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 02:08:08 pm by kayoteq »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2008, 03:34:56 pm »

While cabinets are heavy, clunky and not easily stored, a careful extraction has been taken upon each game for salvageable bits*, and will
appear soon in Buy/Sell/Trade and my website. At this point, though, I'm done loading up the car (4 trips, not counting my friend who loaded up his truck with stuff)

Arcade rescue success, other than the loss of the bodies. at least the brains, controls and coin slots will live on.

*no wires were cut in this exercise. It went against several instincts to gut classic cabs (further), but given the alternative, had to do it.

If it makes anyone feel better, the Pac and Ms Pacs are (were) in rough shape, would require repainting at the very least, no coin doors (one, in rough shape, removed) no CRTs, no CPUs, no control panels (except for the 3 Galaga control panels.. go figure) I got the 'best of' galaga, but that's only helped by donor parts from the other ones.  3 Galaga bezels, one Pac bezel. Given that they're original glass ones, I'm happy,
if only paranoid about moving them for flaking problems-- any tips on how to get them to stay on--maybe I should tape some posterboard over the back to keep contact to a minimum.

But had to share. Free is free is free. Anyone still planning to wander by there and pick up a cab, my original promise to 'return' the removed parts still stands. Post-weekend, the challenge now is getting the living room back from the arcade.

:applaud:

wbassett

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2023, 04:34:49 am
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 04:45:59 pm »
Can you get your hands on a Defender or Stargate control panel?  Specifically I am looking for the two-way joystick.

akcrash

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2008, 06:05:58 am
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 05:44:57 pm »
Do you still have any coin doors? I am looking for a dual slot door, preferably NOT an over under, but would consider it if that is all you have? What condition / price?

Thanks, and congrats on the Galaga score!

kayoteq

• Offline Offline
    • Webmonkees arcade bin
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2008, 07:03:40 pm »
Okay,  I've had my last run. Weekdays are coming up and I feel it would be rude and perhaps damaging to future acquisitions to bother these folks. I know I've made their trash run at least 500 pounds lighter.

No CRTs to be found. I almost had one but let the magic smoke out on the way out the maze. Game Over.
Time to pause, reflect, organize and photograph.

As far as coin doors go, the only things I could really get hold of are the 'narrow' ones. (2 wide, where clasics are '3 wide' with the unused center hole) Don't know the terminology, but they're red-lit square push-ins. Which is what I was after in the first place in wandering by.
Just one coin door surround led to all this. BTW, I found one.

No williams parts, sorry.

akcrash

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2008, 06:05:58 am
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 04:45:47 am »
Bummer about the CRT.  :angry:

As far as the coin doors go, I was kind of looking for the 2 slot ones, I think. Would you be willing to let one go? Any pics??

Thanks again.

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 05:51:06 am »

good work! i'm sure most of the bits you've saved will be made useful by someone somewhere down the track. would have made tragic landfill...

thefuture

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2016, 11:40:31 pm
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 10:32:02 am »
Shoot!! I wish I would have read this thread this weekend! (Except my motherboard fried, so I couldn't read it anyway, but that's another story!)

I'm only an hour away, but this week is swamped. I seriously hope they aren't just gonna take all those to the landfill. What a waste. I'm sure most of us here would take those things off their hands, but we didn't know about it till it was too late.

kayoteq

• Offline Offline
    • Webmonkees arcade bin
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 01:09:27 pm »
I could go by and ask them _when_..  ::) Seriously, if I drag-and-tarp the midways, for instance, will you folks come by and get them quickly? Or will I end up making that youtube video I warned about earleir?

Crowquill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2021, 05:02:15 pm
  • Scratch-built Guitar - Under Construction!
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 02:52:25 pm »
Kayoteq, I applaud you for sharing. It still blows my mind how friendly everyone is in this hobby.

Seeing operators toss old cabs isn't that surprising. They're bulky, heavy, and really not worth much once they're stripped down. In my experience, though, they seem to be either trashed Dynamo cabs or classic cabs that have had one too many bad conversions. Many operators are still in it for the money, and some have a delusional idea of what classic cabs are worth. I bought my Primal Rage cab from an op for $100 w/ a working 25" monitor, but they wouldn't take less than $150 for a converted DK cab without a monitor.

I wish I lived closer. Then again, I should probably count my blessings since I have 5 freebie "project cabs" at the moment already (3 of 5 are dynamos). Most came with monitor tubes but no chassis. This seems to be pretty common from what I've seen.

BTW, doesn't a Galaga CP fit onto a Ms Pac cabinet?
Brevity is not my strong suit.

kayoteq

• Offline Offline
    • Webmonkees arcade bin
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 03:48:29 pm »
I think the craze is what kept them around. They'd put them aside, planning to shove a 4-in-1 set on one game and a monitor, but eventually it just gets a bit too much trouble/time. I know that's what my 'other' vendor guy I know was doing with a couple of galagas last I saw.. the clone board manuals were laying around. 

Yep, the whole series is interchangable. The Pacs just have more wires for the up-down part of it. At this point, though, most are at the barebones stage. There's one Pac I've left alone in case someone came along for it. Galaga would be the easiest conversion; black paint and a sticker. No spare marquees though.. just pac and ms pac

Lethal Enforcer crt mirrors make fine bathroom mirrors, btw ;)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 04:24:33 pm by kayoteq »

thefuture

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2016, 11:40:31 pm
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 04:17:28 pm »
Lethal Enforcer crt mirrors make fine bathroom mirrors, btw ;)

Haha- but I doubt my wife would enjoy arcade parts put up as mirrors and decorations!

I'll take a midway if you do go. If not, that's fine too. Sounds like you've made a haul already!

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 04:49:39 am »
Many operators are still in it for the money

well, so they should be! i was just surprised they didnt have an idea that they could actually get PAID a little for people to take away what they considered rubbish. for no extra effort on their part...