Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Being offered a 1979 Williams "Flash" for $850. Should I bite for a first Pin?  (Read 3959 times)

Mauzy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2020, 11:51:27 am
The machine is working well, with average wear around inserts in the playfield. Great backglass (maybe 8.5/10), awesome cab and coindoor. The guy who is offering it just needs to fix the credit/match display board or the glasses themselves, and it will be good to go.

What kind of problem are these prone to? Any major design flaws thats gonna cause problems? This would be my first pin, and it was pretty fun for the price.
"Son, all hobbies suck. But if you keep at it, you might find you managed to kill some precious time."

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Read the Williams System 3-7 repair guide at marvin3m.com

You'll be replacing some connectors for sure and mounting the battery holder off-board.

Mauzy

• Offline Offline
Thats a great resource. Besides the connectors and battery holder, how solid are system 3-7 (which is Flash, anyway?) machines electronically?
"Son, all hobbies suck. But if you keep at it, you might find you managed to kill some precious time."

Neverending Project

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2015, 10:07:43 pm
    • Arcade Fixer
I am currently working on a Blackout (System 6) which is prone to lockups. So far I have basically gone "by the book" at marvin3m, and have rebuilt the voltage supplies, electrolytic caps, and moved the battery holder off the CPU board (no corrosion!). Next up will be replacing the 40-pin inter-board header/connecter pins, as I suspect this is my problem (also from marvin3m).

So far for me, it doesn't seem like any more or less work than games from other manufacturers of that era.

Mauzy

• Offline Offline
Thats what I figured. I finally found out how to search the completed ebay auctions, and found that they were selling for around $500 bucks. I guess ill pass on this and save money for a machine with a little more action on the playfield.