Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wii: Metroid Prime or Umbrella Chronicles  (Read 2101 times)

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
Wii: Metroid Prime or Umbrella Chronicles
« on: May 21, 2008, 02:47:20 pm »
Just got a Wii and picked up a couple games.  For my next round of games, I was thinking Super Monkey Ball and one of the above.  I think eventually I'll get the other, but looking for opinions on either.  I haven't played any of the previous games in the series (Prime, I've played metroid for the NES) but thought the idea of shooting crap on the Wii would be fun.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
Re: Wii: Metroid Prime or Umbrella Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 03:17:51 pm »
Do you prefer your shooters to be on rails or do you also want to be able to move freely?

I prefer Metroid Prime 3 because I like the freedom to move and puzzle solving in the game.  It also IMO has the best controls of any console FPS.

MustardTent

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2015, 12:14:02 pm
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 03:22:56 pm »
I'll agree that Metroid has the best controls for a console-based FPS I've ever played. 

If you're leaning towards a more open experience or even if you're on the fence between the two, get Metroid.  If you'd rather have a more arcade-like experience, go for Umbrella.

Personally, I like both types of games but I enjoyed Metroid much more.  I've even played through it more that once, which is extremely rare for me.

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 05:32:19 pm »
I didn't like Umbrella Chronicles much. Metroid is a much better game. Metroid looks amazing and plays great. Only thing I didn't like was the walking around to get where the action is.

As far as the best controls goes. The controls on "Medal of Honor Heroes 2" are even better than those of Metroid. You can fine tune them so they fit your playing style perfectly. As a game Medal of honor is a much simpler game than Metroid though. Although for some fast paced adrenaline rush shooting I prefer Medal of Honor over Metroid. BTW in both games, pick the expert or advanced control settings (don't remember the exact name)

This signature is intentionally left blank

hypernova

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2016, 12:52:48 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:14:03 pm »
Assuming you get Prime, which you should, get a NON player's choice version or whatever they're called.  There's lots of sequence breaking opportunities.  If you only like to play through a game once, then it doesn't really matter what version you get. 

You can't unlock the hardest versions in the Prime games until you complete it once on normal.  Besides, you don't want to play on hard for your first time.  Especially not against...him.  Chad knows.  Chad, did you ever beat OP?  (Initials should be safe from spoilers.)

The Prime series is one of the best in recent history, IMO.  Easily.  I've played them all around 3-5 times each at least, so far.
I'll exercise patience when you stop exercising stupidity.
My zazzle page.  I've created T-shirts!

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 01:21:56 am »
I got Metroid Prime 3 for Xmas and I still haven't played it because I'm trying to get through the originals first.  I'm almost done with MP2 though so shouldn't be long now.  I agree these are very good games (1 and 2 would be much better with a real controller though).

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 08:57:16 am »
Well looks like I'm getting Prime first.

Thanks for the suggestion guys.

walls83

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2017, 02:58:45 pm
  • beer is good
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 09:51:54 am »
don't get super monkey ball.  it is horrid.  and Im a fan of the games but its just bad.

Metriod was awesome.
"A true warrior enters the arena with all his powers at the ready." ~ Gouki

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 02:07:59 pm »
don't get super monkey ball.  it is horrid.  and Im a fan of the games but its just bad.

Metriod was awesome.

Really, that sucks.  I haven't played any in the series, but always wanted too.  I don't normally trust the reviews online, but seemed like it faired well.

Why was it so bad? 

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 02:21:29 pm »
Just pick up the Gamecube versions used for under $10 anyway.  They are really good.

walls83

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2017, 02:58:45 pm
  • beer is good
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 04:20:28 pm »
The wii version is just boring as all get out.  Like I said I enjoy the past games but for some reason the Wii game just sucks.  Rent it before you buy it,  youll beat it in like 3 hours.
"A true warrior enters the arena with all his powers at the ready." ~ Gouki