Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Thinking about a bartop/megatouch project  (Read 14095 times)

bishmasterb

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2014, 09:27:47 pm
  • Pressing the limits of my wife's patience...
    • Bishopzone
Thinking about a bartop/megatouch project
« on: May 21, 2008, 12:36:31 am »
So I've got a good 17" touchscreen monitor and a small HP PIII system lying around and I was thinking of building a bartop/megatouch style game system.

Do the real Megatouch systems run on PC hardware? On Windows? Has anyone put together a software collection that will run on Windows nicely with a touchscreen and no keyboard?
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." -Jonathan Swift

jace055

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2022, 12:39:25 am
Re: Thinking about a bartop/megatouch project
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 03:28:14 pm »
I would be interested as well.  I just purcahsed a 15" touchscreen and I am looking for some games.  I do know all of the Megatouch games that are in MAME now are old and it will be years before the photohunt type games make it in. 

I know that getting a megatouch hard drive and software will NOT work in just any PC.  There are physical "keys" that the systems and the touchscreens use or they won't work.  The only way to play new games from the megatouch line is to buy a used system(about $600.00)

bishmasterb

• Offline Offline
    • Bishopzone
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 04:28:55 pm »
Thanks for the info jace.

I didn't know that MAME emulated the Megatouch games; bummer about not having the newest games though.

I've also looked into several of the Yahoo/Popcap games, and while they seem appropriate for a touchscreen, they're not quite as simple and straightforward as the Megatouch games, and many of them require a keyboard for entering your name (which is required). My daughter and I play a Megatouch at the local pizza shop and it's fun because the games are so quick and simple.

I'm not that interested in purchasing a used Megatouch because I've got many of the components already, the cost, I'd like to build one myself and a used bartop is likely to be heavily used and abused.
"We have just enough religion to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." -Jonathan Swift

jace055

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2022, 12:39:25 am
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 05:22:22 pm »
I did find a FREE standalone FULLSCREEN photo hunt

http://www.magictouch.com/games.html

"spot the diff"  towards the bottom

bishmasterb

• Offline Offline
    • Bishopzone
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 05:27:40 pm »
Cool find, I'll try some of those.

If it hasn't already been done, it would be nice to have a healthy collection of free touchscreen games bundled together with a nice front-end for a Windows based bartop.

Firebat138

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2024, 01:20:35 pm
  • Head Brewer and Arcade Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 08:56:19 pm »
nice Spot the difference game...

Did anyone ever compile a list of games...
Click below to see my Metal Gear/Splinter Cell Machine... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=108360.0

Click below to see my PinCab - PinWARS
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,164660.0.html

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:14:16 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 12:19:44 am »
The Megatouch games in MAME are ancient ones and beyond that, there are glitches such as the suits not showing up on cards.
You won't find any bootlegs of any games from the XL series up (when the popular games originated).  
Merit pursues  counterfeiters & bootleggers like no other company.

The newest touchscreen game in MAME is Touchmaster 8000, but it doesn't run very well on a PIII.
For anyone else who's interested in running it on a faster computer, you have to calibrate the screen like a light gun.
http://derrick.mameworld.info/lightgun/Act_Labs_Light_Guns_on_XP.html
(Don't enable the light gun, enable the mouse.  Touch the screen instead of shooting at it)

I finally broke down and bought an original machine, then built a second one using an original board w/key.
Paladin's build thread is extremely useful if you consider putting one together in this manner.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=90631.0

I heard that the newest Megatouch machines have an expiration date.  
They stop working after a certain number of years, then you have to go back to Merit and pay to have them re-activated.
Not sure if it's true or not, but it sure sucks for the secondary market.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:23:06 am by BadMouth »

sarge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 27, 2015, 01:42:54 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 10:12:39 am »

I heard that the newest Megatouch machines have an expiration date. 
They stop working after a certain number of years, then you have to go back to Merit and pay to have them re-activated.
Not sure if it's true or not, but it sure sucks for the secondary market.

Not true.  They just come out with an update every year with a partial update midway through the year.  There's no time limit on the update.  This is the last year they are making an update for their Force platform machines.  They are only doing yearly updates for their Ion platform games from here on.

mlalena

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2021, 12:31:44 pm
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 09:14:29 pm »
Some of the games in Java at http://www.lalena.com/Games/
 :cheers: