Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: control panel edge chamfer  (Read 4084 times)

clickhea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 09, 2019, 07:33:40 am
control panel edge chamfer
« on: May 11, 2008, 11:14:53 am »
my control panel is 3/4 i cut out the slot a bit off center so that the t molding covers the plexi.

now iam not sure what to do with the part underneath the tmolding, is it suppose to be chamfered?

i tried on scrap pieces using a chamfer bit.. but diddnt like the way it was looking..

anyone have pictures of this?

clickhea

• Offline Offline
Re: control panel edge chamfer
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 11:42:59 am »
its a 45 degree chamfer bit.. should i be using somthing different?

NickG

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 05:25:23 am
  • Dig.
    • My Projects Page
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 02:22:55 am »
I am not sure what you mean by "part underneath the tmolding"  If you upload a picture it may help.  You should not have to chamfer beneath common flat t-molding; are you using a "lipped" type of t-molding to retain plexi at the edges or something?

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 10:14:04 pm
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 02:56:17 am »
Yeah, you can simply chamfer it. What some people did as another option was to use 1/2 inch wood for the CP instead of 3/4 so that that the t-molding covers the wood and the plexi. This way there is no extra lip of wood to deal with.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 03:04:09 am »
Yeah, you can simply chamfer it. What some people did as another option was to use 1/2 inch wood for the CP instead of 3/4 so that that the t-molding covers the wood and the plexi. This way there is no extra lip of wood to deal with.

If you do it that way does that mean you have to cut the t-molding slot off center? If you do then wouldn't that leave the piece of wood be pretty week?

clickhea

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 12:05:32 pm »
i got it, i'll try and snap a pic later when i get home

massive88

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2024, 02:21:01 pm
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 12:23:09 pm »

Should be 5/8" MDF with 1/8" Plexi to make the 3/4" t-molding right?

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 12:25:11 pm »
Here is a shot I took when I was building my control panel. i used 3/4" MDF so I had to bevel the bottom edge. You can't even tell it is done this way unless you bend down and look up at it.

clickhea

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 12:56:11 pm »
thats exactly what mine looks like

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 10:14:04 pm
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 02:41:34 pm »

Should be 5/8" MDF with 1/8" Plexi to make the 3/4" t-molding right?

Whatever configuration size you want to use as long as they add up to 3/4" or whatever size the T-molding is. Normally its 3/4" for arcades.

If you do it that way does that mean you have to cut the t-molding slot off center? If you do then wouldn't that leave the piece of wood be pretty week?

It could. But it shouldn't be weak enough to cause a problem especially with the plexi on top also creating support for the edges. Unless someone whacks it really good with a hammer, I doubt anything will happen.

Just don't let it get wet. MDF has a sponge effect when it gets wet. Warps then dries and gets brittle.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 02:45:05 pm by efjayel »