Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MaLa FE. Under new management.  (Read 20706 times)

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: MaLa FE. Under new management.
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2008, 03:02:21 am »

:dunno The old bass version mala uses is a bit buggy, and as space points out there have been some major changes to the latest version so I can't just drop it in, so I if I had to do that work I was considering changing to another sound engine as it would not be that much more work.

I will ponder some more

headkaze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2008, 03:09:27 am »
In most cases it will just be changes to the dll function names and parameters. I would say alot less work to update to use the newer version of BASS than to use a completely different library.

The thing is if FMod had advantages over BASS then I would say it would probably be worth changing to it but I don't think there is. BASS is a commercial quality sound engine and arguably the best one around.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2008, 05:15:02 am »
ahh ok, I guess it not need to been priotity highest first, I didden't realize the jukebox feature in Mala (never tested that feature), property because there is other dedicated jukebox software to use (not just my software of course).

SO I guess the jukebox part should still use either BASS or FMOD and all soundFX part to the plugin (your choice of course). I use FMOD for Linux versionen and BASS for Windows version.

There are many things changed from bass 2.1 to bass 2.4, and if Swindus used coded over all his source, that can been a bit harder, which is why I created some wrapper functions and then send to the player. In that way it easier change the code....

Eitherwice other components can been priority first and then to the last the jukebox section.

Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2008, 11:58:24 am »
Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting switching. I know nothing about BASS - I was just putting in a plug for fmod because I had a good experience with it.

But while we're on the topic of the jukebox feature, would it be worth considering dropping it from MaLa? Maybe there are plenty of people who would complain vehemently (I have never used it so I don't know how good it is), but it would seem to me that dedicated jukebox software is probably generally better than what MaLa provides. So why reinvent the wheel again when doing the major rewrite? Just something to consider. Maybe it's worth asking people in a dedicated thread how strongly they feel about the jukebox feature?
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2008, 07:43:14 pm »
Well I know the MaLa jukebox is basic, but is wanted by some users who don't want a 'full on' jukebox. I know this as I have received posts asking for minor fixes.

But possibly it could get moved to a Plug-in in the future....

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2008, 06:37:48 am »
loadman, from a plugin developer's perspective (not that I've done extensive plugin work or anything), I think the biggest limitation in the plugin interface right now is no means of providing a configuration UI. I would like to see a function added to the plugin interface which, when implemented, would cause a "configure" button to appear on the plugin page when that plugin is selected. It would pass the parent window's HWND (probably MaLa's options window) so the plugin's configuration dialog could be properly parented.

What do you think?

This has been done and will be in the next release

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2008, 12:35:39 pm »
Cool! Thanks!
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2008, 08:52:06 am »

I finally got MaLa to compile of a English IDE  ;)  That will make life so much easier for me.  :)

Anyway, many more things on my list to do but I thought it was about time for a release.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=84515.msg884959#msg884959