Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mountain's Bartop Jukebox - Kits now available!!  (Read 182696 times)

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
Mountain's Bartop Jukebox - Kits now available!!
« on: May 04, 2008, 10:55:54 pm »
Kits for this project are now available here.

EDIT: Here are the completed pictures in case you don't feel like searching all of the pages. Scroll down to read the original post.

[youtube][/youtube]

*Begin original post*

I am taking a break from my Fantasy Cab build to focus on this new project that came up. My Father recently announced that he will be retiring July 1st. The whole family will be converging on their house May 31st to celebrate. This always includes late nights downstairs having a few drinks at the bar. After showing my Mom the in-wall Jukebox/Digital picture frame I installed in my house last December, she knew that my Dad would really appreciate one down in the bar. So... she asked me to build him one as one of the gifts from all of us kids (4).

I have less than a month to build it so I went at it pretty hard this weekend. I sketched up a few ideas Friday night and decided on the one below. It has a retro feel somewhere between an old tube radio and and old jukebox.

The first thing I had to do Saturday morning was fix my circle jig I made for my router. I built an adjustable one years ago out of MDF but the slide mechanism I made finally wore out. Once I fixed that, I was ready to go.

I made the template for cutting out the jigs.

After cutting the jigs, I bore some holes to help with the clamping.

I screwed jigs to the base and added some temporary inserts to ensure the proper spacing.

I placed some tape on the bottom edges to keep the glue from bonding the bottom and sides. I need to remove the bottom and do some work to it before it can be permanently attached. I also put tape on a temporary strip of wood that will be used for clamping.

Saturday morning I ran out to get some suppies at a specialty woodworking store and discovered that they carry 1/8" MDF. I have heard of it before but had never seen it anywhere. I figured this was thin enough to bend so I grabbed a sheet. Here is a picture of the 1/8" on top of a 3/4" piece for reference.

Here is the first layer of the 1/8" MDF clamped around the curve.

After the glue set I used my router and a flush trim bit to trim off the excess material. I then sanded down the rest. now I have a better idea of what the final product will look like.

Here is a close up of the wrap job.

Here is the second layer of 1/8" MDF Glued and clamped.

I had to stop here because I really wanted all of the glue that it took for the second layer to really set before I started trimming it. I have to get the second layer trimmed and cut before I can continue because the final shape will be my template for cutting out the face of the jukebox.

More updates will follow.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 08:11:48 am by mountain »

CheeseSndwch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2012, 11:30:53 pm
Re: Mountain's Bartop Jukebox---> For Dad
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 11:40:35 pm »
Looks great. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Oh, by the way that dog creeps me out.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 09:40:31 am »
Awesome work!

Did you have to do anything the 1/8th inch MDF to get it to bend like that, or was it that flexible to begin with?

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 10:42:13 am »
wow - Looks great so far.  I love the size too.  I had no idea that 1/8" MDF was that flexible.  I'm glad you have a hard deadline so we will be getting constant updates!   :cheers:

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 06:01:50 pm »
Oh, by the way that dog creeps me out.

:dizzy: Do you have a fear of Labradoodles or something??

Awesome work!

Did you have to do anything the 1/8th inch MDF to get it to bend like that, or was it that flexible to begin with?

Thanks

No, all I did was cut it to fit and clamped it real good. It bends very easily, I was surprised.

wow - Looks great so far.  I love the size too.  I had no idea that 1/8" MDF was that flexible.  I'm glad you have a hard deadline so we will be getting constant updates!   :cheers:

Thanks! The deadline is new, but it is really exciting to have this opportunity. I want to get out in front of it so I have time to tweak the interface to where anybody can use it.

nuka1195

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2020, 08:47:25 pm
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 06:52:33 pm »
Labra-doodle :) I guess it's better than a Chi-Poo

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/poodlemix.htm

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 10:53:26 pm »
How are the components going to fit in there? (speakers, computer, etc.)

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 01:47:38 am »
Very nice bud, can see this one coming out awesomely  :)

HarumaN, you can also get flexible MDF with pre cut kerfs in it to aid bending it. I think you would struggle to bend anything much thicker than the 1/8" mountain is using. I know the flexible kerfed MDF isd availiable at least up to 19mm (3/4") which would be suitable for a more heavy duty application.

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 08:12:48 am »
How are the components going to fit in there? (speakers, computer, etc.)

I am going to use a Mini ITX motherboard. I am shopping around for one now. The screen will be the same as what I have in my wall. I don't plan on using any buttons. You can get them off of a guy on eBay that sells them regularly. I posted about them before over in the Jukebox forum. Here is the link.
I am going to try and squeeze in a set of speakers, I just have to get everything built and see what I have room for. I really want to install one of these. I use one for my garage computer and it sounds really good. I am also going install an audio jack on the back so he can run a line to his stereo on the other side of the bar.

Very nice bud, can see this one coming out awesomely  :)

HarumaN, you can also get flexible MDF with pre cut kerfs in it to aid bending it. I think you would struggle to bend anything much thicker than the 1/8" mountain is using. I know the flexible kerfed MDF isd availiable at least up to 19mm (3/4") which would be suitable for a more heavy duty application.

I have used a tablesaw to perf 1/2" and 3/4" MDF for bending in the past. This creates a ton of dust! To keep it strong you have to run a bead of glue down every groove. It gets messy real fast. For this application, 1/8" MDF seamed like the easiest solution.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 08:14:39 am by mountain »

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 09:10:43 am »
Labra-doodle :) I guess it's better than a Chi-Poo

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/poodlemix.htm

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/saintberdoodle.htm

A St. Bernard with a Jerry curl!  :laugh2:

BTW, can't wait to see the finished product Mountain. Your craftsmanship is top notch.

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 10:05:15 pm »

BTW, can't wait to see the finished product Mountain. Your craftsmanship is top notch.

Thanks shardian!

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 10:12:50 pm »
I didn't get much done during the past week other than a little planning and measuring. I did get everything ordered though. The remainding parts should arrive sometime early next week.

I finally decided on the layout last night thanks to a loaner part from mccoy (you saved the buddy!) and started cutting the faceplate this afternoon. After cutting the openings for the marquee and screen I traced the outline on the decorative face material, 1/8" black Plexiglas.

I put a 45 degree bevel around the openings too.

Here is a shot of the bartop after removing the supports and trimming away most of the jig material.

This is all the further I got today. It doesn't look like much but it took me a good 6 hours to get this far. Things should fall together pretty quickly now, other than the the venting.

Beer can shot for reference.  :cheers:

More updates tomorrow night.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 10:19:11 pm »
Aren't you supposed to be drinking this:

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 10:30:20 pm »
Great job on that plexi.  The jig idea is really sharp.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 03:52:37 am »
Nice, thats going to look realy sleek.  8)

What finish are you using for the rest of the jukebox?

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 07:57:22 am »
Thanks Franco, I am wrapping the top/sides with black laminate. I have yet to decide on the rear panel.  :cheers:

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 10:27:19 pm »
Today was not very productive. I had a near disastrous mishap with the router trying to remove the MDF at the monitor opening. I built a jig for cutting this area out since there is not a lot of material for the router to rest securely on the piece. After making a few passes I didn't realize that MDF dust was working its way under it. With the dust under there it raised one corner too high and it started to cut into the Plexiglas. Without knowing, I was moving the cutter pretty quick and the Plexi chipped where the 45 degree bevel is cut. I thought I was going to be sick! I had a good 8 hours of work into the piece at that time. About 15 passes into the Plexi, removing minuscule amounts each time, I was able to correct it.

Here is part of the jig I made to hold the piece in place. You can see the holes from the brad nailer that I used to temporarily hold the cutting guides.

A good shot of the routering i did today to make room for the marquee Plexiglas and the monitor. The center hole in the marquee area is for the volume knob.

The screen mounting is done!

Does anyone have any tips for making bright glowing text effects? I have been looking but the tutorials that I have tried don't seem to work as good as I thought. I am struggling to come up with the marquee design. Anybody interested in helping? Please send me a PM.
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 10:30:06 pm by mountain »

mccoy178

• Offline Offline
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 10:42:34 pm »
What about EL tape like I used on the poker table?  Here is the link:

http://e-luminates.com/osc/product_info.php?products_id=31

The price is $47 for an 8.5 x 11 sheet.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 10:52:16 pm by mccoy178 »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 10:10:51 am »
Wow mountain - this thing is going to be sick.  I love the volume knob placement and the beveled plexi.  You really have an eye for design.  I'd expect a ton of questions and a lot of copycats when this thing is finished!   :cheers:

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 09:57:11 pm »
What about EL tape like I used on the poker table?  Here is the link:

http://e-luminates.com/osc/product_info.php?products_id=31

The price is $47 for an 8.5 x 11 sheet.

Thanks for the link Ben. I want to go the traditional route with the marquee. I am looking for some really cool neon text since it is for his bar. I am stumped right now and a little worried. I need to get the graphic designed and ordered so it gets here in time.

Wow mountain - this thing is going to be sick.  I love the volume knob placement and the beveled plexi.  You really have an eye for design.  I'd expect a ton of questions and a lot of copycats when this thing is finished!   :cheers:

Wow, thanks javeryh! I can't wait to see it either. I am really looking forward pulling off the protective paper and seeing the glossy black face for the first time. Speaking of glossy, I spent about an hour tonight polishing the beveled edge around the marquee opening.

Check it out  :cheers:

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 01:05:24 am
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 08:04:29 am »
Amazing! Please elaborate on how you achieved that beveled edge!

Did I miss something?

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 08:31:23 pm »
Hey Mountain,

Fantastic work, as always!!!! :applaud:

I might be able to help out with the art,

sent you a PM,

Bender

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2008, 11:10:34 pm »
Amazing! Please elaborate on how you achieved that beveled edge!

Did I miss something?

Thanks a lot dm!

I began by cutting the openings out in the 1/2" MDF with the router. I then used a flush trim bit and cut the Plexiglas around the holes. Once that was done I took my 45 degree bit and beveled the edges. I started the polish process by knocking down the cut marks left behind by the router bit with 600 grit sandpaper. I used 1" by 2" pieces of sand paper. This sort of helps make me keep from getting too excited and trying to do too much at one time. I then moved up to 1000 grit and finally 2000 grit. Once I was was satisfied with the smoothness of the bevel,  I switched over to the Novus 3 step polish system. This step is where the glossy appearance really comes alive. I kind of rushed it and plan on going over it once more to ensure that the bevel matches the face as much as possible.

Hey Mountain,

Fantastic work, as always!!!! :applaud:

I might be able to help out with the art,

sent you a PM,

Bender

Thank you so much for offering to help! I have sent you a PM.

I was able to finish a few minor details tonight. It appears I made this thing about 1 1/2" to narrow. It was a stretch tying to cram the monitor in there.

I finished the day by finally gluing the face to the frame. I was happy to finally find a use for those weights I had laying around.  :D

I received the last components for this in the mail today. Tomorrow I am going to hook everthing up on the bench and configure the operating system and begin testing some jukebox apps.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2008, 11:22:14 pm »
begin testing some jukebox apps.

Let me save you some time. Just use Freebox. It's amazing software.

www.freeboxjukebox.com

Barcrest makes it and he has a great piece of software there. I'd be interested to hear what McCoy thinks, but it looks like he's a freebox user as well.

mccoy178

• Offline Offline
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 12:17:40 am »
Freebox has been fantastic.  I have complete faith in Barcrest and he has always made a wonderful product. :cheers:

CheeseSndwch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2012, 11:30:53 pm
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 12:57:20 am »
I finished the day by finally gluing the face to the frame. I was happy to finally find a use for those weights I had laying around.  :D
Ughh, weights. I screwed up my back doing Up-Right Rows and my project has been sidelined.  :(

However, your project is looking awesome Mountain.

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 01:34:22 am »
Is freebox only suited to albums or also singles? I use dwjukebox as I thought it was much more appropriate for a singles jukebox which is what I'm running... ie 1950's style without the cover art... which I actually think would suit this style of 'retro' jukebox better.

This jukebox shape looks like a really really old radio. If I were to copy it (which I probably will :D ) I'd put old-school dials on the bottom which switch to previous/next track etc :)

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 02:48:42 am »
Is freebox only suited to albums or also singles? I use dwjukebox as I thought it was much more appropriate for a singles jukebox which is what I'm running... ie 1950's style without the cover art... which I actually think would suit this style of 'retro' jukebox better.

This jukebox shape looks like a really really old radio. If I were to copy it (which I probably will :D ) I'd put old-school dials on the bottom which switch to previous/next track etc :)

Which makes sense and would be really cool if you only wanted a small assortment of songs. I agree that it would fit the theme as well.

For my money, I like to have most of my collection on my jukebox. Everything from Abba to ZZtop.

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2008, 03:38:32 am »
I don't know if I'd call the top 100 from 1960 to 2007 a small collection, but I manage it fairly well with smart navigation.

ie buttons for skip letter, for page across, etc... and approx 20 songs shown on each page. I sort the collection by artist name.

I can see the attraction of using cover art for albums and then going into that album and picking the song, but I'm too fickle with music for that and I treat my jukebox more like you find in the bar/pool hall.

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2008, 09:52:51 am »
Looking Good Mountain 8)  I am thinking about doing one of these for the wife.

TTFN :cheers:
Kaytrim

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 02:19:38 pm »
What kind of components do you need to run one of these things?  Do you cram an entire computer in there?  Is the screen a touch screen?

It looks great - what are you going to finish it with?   Paint?

Keep it up!!!   :cheers:

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008, 09:08:07 pm »
Thanks for all of the input guys, I am loading the OS right now. Ultimately, my Dad will make the call as to what software is used. Are there any known issues with loading 2-3 programs and switching between them?

Looking Good Mountain 8)  I am thinking about doing one of these for the wife.

TTFN :cheers:
Kaytrim

Thanks Kaytrim. i think the size is really going to work well in the setting that it will be in.

What kind of components do you need to run one of these things?  Do you cram an entire computer in there?  Is the screen a touch screen?

It looks great - what are you going to finish it with?   Paint?

Keep it up!!!   :cheers:

Where you been?  ;D

The face is made from a 1/8" piece of black Plexiglas and the top will be wrapped in black laminate. It will be wrapped in chrome trim. I am also making a base for it that will hold a very thin speaker bar for casual listening. A stereo jack will be installed in the back for hooking it up to his home stereo on the other side of the room. The base will also allow the top section to swivel with magnetic stops at 45 and 90 degrees.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008, 09:25:04 pm »
Thanks for all of the input guys, I am loading the OS right now. Ultimately, my Dad will make the call as to what software is used. Are there any known issues with loading 2-3 programs and switching between them?

The issue I had is how you setup the music files. For example, with Freebox you create a folder which contains all the songs for an album and a jpg for the cover art. Some of the other programs may want the directory structure setup differently.

One thing's for sure - you'll want to make sure all your MP3's are tagged properly and the music has been normalized. For normalizing tracks, I use MP3Gain at http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/. It normalizes without compromising quality.

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 09:29:13 pm »
Thanks leapinlew. I spent every night for a month correctly tagging my mp3s when I did my in wall jukebox, so that part is done. I downloaded mp3gain back then but never got around to doing it.  Just one more thing to do in a little over two weeks.  :banghead:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 09:55:32 pm by mountain »

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2008, 11:10:52 pm »
Here's a quick update to show what I got done this weekend.I made the base out of 1/2" MDF and wrapped it in black laminate. As I mentioned before, I installed magnetic stops so that the unit will swivel and stop every 30 degrees. since the juke will also double as a digital picture frame, I wanted them to be able to swivel it around so anyone sitting at the bar can view it. (its a big bar) My mom told me that she thinks it will be placed on one side of the bar so this feature should get used a lot.

90% done with the base. Here you can see the lazy susan swivel and the magnets.

Close up of the hardware.

Some detail shots

The Dell LCD mount speakers in position but not yet installed. A 120mm fan will push air into the cabinet. I plan on installing rubber feet under the base to keep it from sliding. These will create about a 1/3' gap all the way around, plenty enough to keep the cool air flowing upward.

The top mounted to the base.

Twisted at 30 degrees.

I have less than 2 weeks to finish. I hope to have all of the cosmetics finished by Friday so I can begin loading up the components. I still need to make the back panel too.

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2008, 12:09:16 am »
That is amazing work, its so neat and professional!

The sound bar is a great idea, and so is the fan in the base (though I don't see a hole in the cabinet base yet?).  The swivel idea looks great and using magnets is very impressive, but it seems a bit unnecessary on this jukebox and looks a little awkward when its twisted on an angle?

I would have thought the base box would be more 'fixed' to the jukebox, and simply mount 4 tiny castors on the bottom in a circle arrangement so that the WHOLE unit can turn in a circle (but can't roll easily), that way the speakers are facing the 'audience' too?

In any case, this already looks awesome and I can't wait to see the finished product.  Well done on everything so far!

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2008, 07:12:38 am »
Nice work mountain. I'm anxious to see how the components fit inside.

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2008, 07:22:20 am »
Thanks dm...for bursting my bubble!  ;) JK

Several factors led to the design being the way it is. There is a leather covered armrest around the bar that would prohibit the unit to swivel if I had done it the way you suggest. It sticks up about 1.5". So, since I had to make some sort of base for it, I decided to throw a set of speakers in there.

Originally the jukebox was only going to have a left and right outputs to be wired to his home stereo. I decided that since this area of the house is generally where my Dad goes to hang out, watch a little TV and have a drink, having speakers in the unit itself would be good for just him to enjoy. When he has people over, he can flip a switch on the back and have it play through the stereo.

I am happy with the way it looks. The only time the unit will be swiveled is when they are viewing pictures when the the slideshow screensaver kicks in and someone wants to show it to someone sitting on the other side of the bar.

mccoy178

• Offline Offline
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2008, 08:26:45 am »
 :blowup:  (That base just made my head explode!) :applaud:

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2008, 08:42:07 am »
Incredible work.  Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods