Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Typhoon 2001 is kicking ---my bottom---!  (Read 728 times)

Zobeid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2021, 10:36:32 pm
Typhoon 2001 is kicking ---my bottom---!
« on: May 04, 2008, 09:45:56 pm »
The game is running fantastically on my cabinet.  It's great to play this with a spinner, and the audio is fantastic -- really giving the subwoofer a workout.

However. . .   I still have never managed to reach a bonus stage.  My best game today I managed to get five warp tokens. . .   One short of the six needed for a bonus stage.  Why is this so hard?   :banghead:

:soapbox:   In the original Tempest 2000 you only needed three tokens for a bonus stage!  It was hard but it wasn't impossible.  Normal players -- not elite experts -- could expect to see bonus stages once in a while.  Sometimes more than one per game!  Why was this changed?  It's like the programmer decided bonus stages aren't meant for ordinary people, only some kind of special reward for the most godly players.

Jeff Minter once said the bonus stages in Tempest 2001 were meant to be a relaxing break from the chaos, with a slower pace.  But clearly they are not serving that function in Typhoon 2001: it's not much of a break if you can never reach one.

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
Re: Typhoon 2001 is kicking ---my bottom---!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 10:36:59 am »
I just discovered this excellent game recently too and I'm loving it.  I haven't gotten close to the bonus stage either though (and I never played Tempest 2000).