Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Calling all Donkey Kong Masters!  (Read 72010 times)

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
Re: Calling all Donkey Kong Masters!
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2008, 11:44:51 pm »
My score is now 129700

Ah! A challenge! ;D

OK, BUCKETHEAD. My high score went from 106,100 to 204,300!!! In one shot (i.e. I broke my 106k record with my new 204k record directly)!

I was in a groove (and probably got a little luck to bounce my way)! I had 2 lives going into the 100m elevator level and I got another 110k on those 2 lives. I cleared either 3 or 4 elevator levels starting with the 100m one, and I don't think I lost any lives to the springs!

Now I need to learn the barrel control tips. >:D
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2008, 11:35:14 pm »
Went from 55,000 up to 80,600 today thanks to the barrel control tips.  Thanks.  Getting better every game so I expect to keep increasing this score.

My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 07:31:52 pm
  • Don't hate the player .... Hate the Game
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2008, 02:11:56 am »
Nah, I ain't looking for a challenge.

Just trying to improve my game.

I went from 129,700 to 173,300 today.

I'm getting the hang of the barrel control !  :)

Glad to hear everyone is improving their scores!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 02:13:58 am by BUCKETHEAD »

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2008, 02:38:51 am »
Yeah, I'm just messin' with you. It's all about the fun. Great job on jumping to 173k!
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2008, 03:15:22 am »
Yeah, I'm just messin' with you. It's all about the fun. Great job on jumping to 173k!

Thanks man!

Great Job on your score too!

I'm thinking if you beat the game/kill screen.

The points will be around 550,000 points?

I know Steve Weibe and Billy Mitchell milk the game for points.

Which is why they have such high scores.

But i think normal play. And that's the score you'll end up with.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2008, 04:50:10 pm »
They milk for points because of the kill screen. Since this has been solved - at least think I have a fix somewhere that someone recently cranked out - I'm waiting for people to continue in fashion.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Lutus

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2012, 10:58:10 am
  • "I love my Power Glove. It's so BAD!"
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2008, 05:23:01 pm »
Hey Shanman,

Nice score, I think we are tied!

BUT, just remember, those top scores games only come it seems like once every 50 games or so.  I wish the luck would happen every game but then everyone could set world records!
-----------------------------
www.justin.tv/lutus8
www.encoreinstruction.com <-- for my fellow musicians

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2008, 07:55:26 pm »
Yeah , It takes me awhile everytime to beat my previous score.

It's not something i can crank out everytime.

But i don't really have a problem getting a 100,000 everytime now.

Getting over that is still a problem!

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2008, 10:29:02 pm »
BUT, just remember, those top scores games only come it seems like once every 50 games or so.  I wish the luck would happen every game but then everyone could set world records!

I played some more this evening, and no question you're right about that! I only made it past the 3rd elevator stage once. I think I need to back off on seeing how far I can get for a moment and just work on honing my skills a bit. First of all, controlling barrels. Second, just timing in general (e.g. when to jump when there are 2 barrels closely spaced but not close enough to jump both in one shot).

massive88

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2024, 02:21:01 pm
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2008, 01:15:11 pm »
I played some more this evening, and no question you're right about that! I only made it past the 3rd elevator stage once. I think I need to back off on seeing how far I can get for a moment and just work on honing my skills a bit. First of all, controlling barrels. Second, just timing in general (e.g. when to jump when there are 2 barrels closely spaced but not close enough to jump both in one shot).

Ive found save states invaluable for this.  When I couldnt get my jumps perfect or the spring timing down on the elevator stage, I just did the whole level over and over by reloading my save state until I was proficient enough to nail the stage the majority of the time. 

My attention span then demanded that perfection will come through full play throughs, but save states are great for working on problem levels.  It would have taken me 10x as long to get as good as I am now at DK if I had to do it on a real machine.  Not that Im any expert or anything, broke 100k finally though!   :cheers:

Lutus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2008, 01:31:36 pm »
The luck part comes into play the most on the PIE FACTORY stages.  No question.

Secondary luck comes on the barrel stages IF you are one to get the bottom hammer.  If you only get the top hammer these stages become much easier.
www.justin.tv/lutus8

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2008, 01:32:23 pm »
My problem isn't really with any particular thing, like making the big jump from the second spring, it's more with general skill things, which are a little harder to work on with save states (e.g. barrels that are spaced just far enough apart that you can't jump 'em both at the same time - how do you get a save state for working on that?).

Last night I tried practicing barrel control on the first level, but it wasn't quite as easy as I expected. Either I just haven't gotten the timing down yet, or perhaps barrels are harder to control earlier in the game? Of course barrels don't tend to go down the ladders as often early in the game so I wonder if that translates into less ability to control them? If so, I'll have to do a save state on a later level (or better yet - turn on invincibility).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 01:35:45 pm by TheShanMan »

Lutus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2008, 01:38:25 pm »
Some say you cannot control barrels on the first stage.  I say, unheard of.

BUT the only ones that consistently be controlled are the TOP TWO ladders.  Just get the bottom hammer on the first barrel screen and try to milk some points.  Don't even worry about barrel control on the first stage.  I just try to make sure I score over 6000 points when going for a big score.

And if you die, no problem.  Start a new game!
www.justin.tv/lutus8

massive88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2008, 02:58:55 pm »
Yeah I would just work totally on barrel control to try to limit that situation from happening.  If you are thinking far enough ahead (2-3 levels), you can prevent impossible or difficult barrel jumps most of the time.

I would save state at a later ramp level for that though, so you get the faster "more difficult" barrels.  And just playing that one stage over and over will get your basic skills for it down faster than if you only play it every one in so many screens..   :dunno

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2008, 03:22:18 pm »
OK, that helps. Not that I want to control barrels on the first level (it's easy enough without it). It was just a convenient way to practice, but I'll just wait until I get a little further along. The invincibility cheat will be helpful so you can focus on controlling rather than avoiding. For that reason, save state not necessary. :)

massive88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2008, 03:49:27 pm »
Up to you I guess.  Personally I wouldn't want invincibility, Id rather have the game mechanics operating the exact same way as when I play it for reals, so while you are working on controlling, you also are mastering your jump timing, and actually dealing with the situations that will arise in an applicable manner.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2008, 05:33:17 pm »
Yeah, but first I have to figure out how to consistently control them! I was only able to do it very infrequently last night, although maybe that's due to the level 1 thing - maybe on a later level the invincibility wouldn't be necessary. But I will at least start with it, and once I am pretty good at controlling then I can go from there.

CrazyKongFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 06, 2017, 01:22:29 pm
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2008, 07:21:33 pm »
I don't have too much of a problem with the pie factory level, even with 4 or 5 fireballs, although once in awhile, I do get cornered. My biggest problem is starting about level 3 or 4 on the barrel level, when you go to the 2 ladders under Kong. Either the barrels are coming at me the wrong spacing, or he drops one on me. I don't know how to prevent the latter situation, as you have to go that way, since the only other ladder on that row (at the right side of the screen) is broken.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2008, 08:24:43 pm »
There was once I used savestates to try to get past the third elevator level...and then just the other night for a special maneuver on the elevator level....but generally I think two things: that it's cooler if you can play the game through, and that practicing is too much like work and takes away from the fun of the game.

In any case, and I don't know if the doc says this because I haven't read it yet, who knows that you can jump the distance from the second elevator to the second platform (thereby not having to go down then back up)?...who knows that you can actually make the jump to the FIRST platform?
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2008, 09:13:18 pm »
I used to jump to the 1st platform every the time. But I missed about 20% of the time, so just recently I tried for the first time jumping to the 2nd, and found it to be easier. I've only missed once in about 25 tries. I lose a little bit of bonus, but my life is worth it. ;)

CrazyKongFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2008, 01:47:28 pm »
I've always jumped to the 2nd platform. I almost always make it. The instruction card on the machine says Jumpman can only jump the equivalent of 2 beam sections, but he can actually do 3 (it's 3 from the right elevator to that 2nd platform). To get to the first one, you have to time it just right, when Jumpman lands on it, he doesn't really do the "land on his butt" move like he normally does when you jump. Of course, if you play Crazy Kong (which I do frequently ;D ), or the Japanese DK, you get the Elevator level on level 01, and they're moving really slow, so it's real easy to make it to the first platform on level 01.

massive88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2008, 02:09:14 pm »
There was once I used savestates to try to get past the third elevator level...and then just the other night for a special maneuver on the elevator level....but generally I think two things: that it's cooler if you can play the game through, and that practicing is too much like work and takes away from the fun of the game.

In any case, and I don't know if the doc says this because I haven't read it yet, who knows that you can jump the distance from the second elevator to the second platform (thereby not having to go down then back up)?...who knows that you can actually make the jump to the FIRST platform?

I only mean to suggest that savestates have their place.  I dont use them anymore, because general skills is what I need.

If theres one specific thing that is constantly killing you, practicing that one specific thing will yield a greater reward than muddling through the whole game to get back there.

I also found the timing too difficult to hit the first platform consistently, and many times Im in a rush due to the fireball coming up the ladders, so I too use the second platform, where I dont miss anymore unless I do something stupid.

I used to jump to the 1st platform every the time. But I missed about 20% of the time, so just recently I tried for the first time jumping to the 2nd, and found it to be easier. I've only missed once in about 25 tries. I lose a little bit of bonus, but my life is worth it.

Exactly, if I ever get good enough to tease with kill screens, then Ill worry about shaving seconds off my clear times.  Until then, my point total is mostly limited by how far I can progress  =D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 02:11:54 pm by massive88 »

Lutus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2008, 08:32:54 pm »
I don't have too much of a problem with the pie factory level, even with 4 or 5 fireballs, although once in awhile, I do get cornered. My biggest problem is starting about level 3 or 4 on the barrel level, when you go to the 2 ladders under Kong. Either the barrels are coming at me the wrong spacing, or he drops one on me. I don't know how to prevent the latter situation, as you have to go that way, since the only other ladder on that row (at the right side of the screen) is broken.

I don't know if you have seen the Steve Wiebe gameplay video or not (very helpful) but here is how to handle those 2 ladders.

After climbing 3 ladders (one platform below the top hammer) move to the RIGHT toward the broken ladder.  Try to control barrels to come down the broken ladder.  This will clear the platform above you.  Now start running to the left but make sure that you are NOT pressing left when KONG first releases a barrel.  So start running left until you see KONG release a barrel and then simply stop running.  This allows the barrel to go past that very top ladder and continue on to the right of the screen.

And remember to try to control barrels to go down the broken ladder this whole time.  Now you should be ALL the way to the left of the screen.  When it is clear above you (by controlling barrels to come down the ladders to your right (3 ladders total), make a dash up the far left ladder.  IF KONG throws a barrel straight down it will graze you but now kill you (thank god).  Now grab that hammer and go to work.

www.justin.tv/lutus8

CrazyKongFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2008, 09:07:51 pm »
I have the King of Kong DVD, if that's where the Steve Wiebe video is from (if not, then I haven't seen it). But I hadn't noticed that's how he was doing it, at least in the KoK video. Gonna have to try that tonight...that's about the only level that consistently kicks my  :censored: and since you get 3 of them per level starting at level 5...well, do the math  ;D

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2008, 12:59:04 am »
Tonight I proceeded to level 3 barrels, and attempted to control the barrels while on the platform below DK. I must be really dense because I couldn't seem to get it to happen even somewhat consistently - more like one out of every 5 times! :-[

Is there anything more specific you can say that might turn on a light switch for me? ???

Lutus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2008, 09:47:29 am »

Tonight I proceeded to level 3 barrels, and attempted to control the barrels while on the platform below DK. I must be really dense because I couldn't seem to get it to happen even somewhat consistently - more like one out of every 5 times! :-[

Is there anything more specific you can say that might turn on a light switch for me? ???

I could make a short video of me playing a barrell stage and walk you through it but Steve's DVD will say it a million times over.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 08:09:19 pm by Lutus »
www.justin.tv/lutus8

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2008, 10:33:31 am »
Thanks Lutus!

You are da MAN !  :notworthy:

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2008, 01:32:39 pm »
Went from 55,000 up to 80,600 today thanks to the barrel control tips.  Thanks.  Getting better every game so I expect to keep increasing this score.

Had my best run ever going yesterday.  I broke my old record without losing a single guy.  I made it to the 3rd elevator stage with all men in tact.  Unfortunately, I quickly lost them all on this board.  New high for me of 86,000 and I really thought I was going to break 100K for the first time.  I've watched the youtube videos of this board, now I just need to get back there and try again.
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2008, 04:22:45 pm »
Thanks Lutus!

Spyridon, I highly recommend doing a "save state" once you get to the upper platform of the elevator level. Then you can practice freely without worrying about getting it wrong.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2008, 06:24:30 am »
I didn't actually think you could jump all the way over to the second platform - and then I saw a youtube video. I didn't believe it. Sure enough it worked. I mentioned this on another forum and someone said, 'oh, but I do this', and I was all....noo. But sure enough I tried a few times and it's possible to get to the first platform. Tonight I thought I was going to get past the third elevators, but nope. Maybe a personal best of 87500, and if not then close to it. I don't think I'm in the same class as you guys. I just like to play the game.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2008, 06:31:23 am »
I don't think I'm in the same class as you guys. I just like to play the game.

Don't give up!

Keep trying.

I thought i was going to get past my personal best of 173,300 the other night.

But i only ended up with 156,000.

I died by my own hand though!

I did something stupid, that i knew not to do.

But did it anyway!    :banghead:

massive88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2008, 10:01:12 am »

I died by my own hand though!

I did something stupid, that i knew not to do.

But did it anyway!    :banghead:

Thats an adequate summary of the majority of my games.   ;D

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2008, 04:47:21 pm »
I don't think I'm in the same class as you guys. I just like to play the game.

Don't give up!

Keep trying.

Heh. I need to replace my T-stick with something better, though. Short throw, but lousy directional response.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Spyridon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2008, 08:27:50 am »
Spyridon, I highly recommend doing a "save state" once you get to the upper platform of the elevator level. Then you can practice freely without worrying about getting it wrong.

I've been playing on my dedicated DK machine, but I may switch over to my Mame cab for practice. 

I did set a high score this weekend.  I have finally broken 100,000!!!!!!  I hit 110,600 and cleared the 3rd elevator stage for the first time. 

CrazyKongFan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2008, 01:20:18 pm »
Not counting the machine I played the other day with 7 guys, just had my best game so far, with the standard settings (3 men + free at 7,000). Got to the 7th level, elevator, with 229,400. I was standing too far to the right waiting for the right spring to bounce past and one hit me in the face.

fatfingers

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2015, 10:15:43 am
  • Got UltraStiks?™
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2008, 04:49:44 pm »
I've been playing on my dedicated DK machine, but I may switch over to my Mame cab for practice. 

I did set a high score this weekend.  I have finally broken 100,000!!!!!!  I hit 110,600 and cleared the 3rd elevator stage for the first time. 

LOL.  What am I doing wrong?  I've made it to level 4, but my score is around 49000!

My DK low scores
-------------------
1) 180700
2) 165000
3) 162900
4) 162600
5) 158500

W.W.P.M.D.?                                       I'm here to help ... I just don't do it. ™

massive88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2008, 05:03:08 pm »
Its all in your definition of level.

The 1st elevator stage for instance, is the 4th screen.

If you mean a level to be a screen, than the 3rd elevator stage would be something like the 16th level.  Whereas the 4th level would only be the first elevator stage.

Did that make sense?

fatfingers

• Offline Offline
  • Got UltraStiks?™
« Reply #77 on: May 22, 2008, 10:24:58 am »

Yeah, I mean Level 4, 1st barrel stage, if that means any sense.
My DK low scores
-------------------
1) 180700
2) 165000
3) 162900
4) 162600
5) 158500

W.W.P.M.D.?                                       I'm here to help ... I just don't do it. ™

Lutus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2008, 11:26:53 am »
Clear the barrel stages quickly, but always get the top hammer and get 4-7 maybe 8 smashes each time.

Jump at Kong's foot on the first 2 or 3 girder stages.  Smash a lot of those firefox's on the that level and finish it quickly.

Pie factory, just finish as fast as possible.  Hopefully with 6000 in the bonus box.

Elevator stage.  Grab both prizes and finish the level quickly.

You may just be taking too much time on each level.
www.justin.tv/lutus8

fatfingers

• Offline Offline
  • Got UltraStiks?™
« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2008, 12:02:19 pm »

OK, I'll try that.  I usually race up for each level and skip hammers, etc.

What's this "jump at the foot business"?

My DK low scores
-------------------
1) 180700
2) 165000
3) 162900
4) 162600
5) 158500