Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: **Hyperspin FE new previews**  (Read 17567 times)

paulstevens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2020, 11:41:03 pm
Re: **Hyperspin FE new previews**
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2008, 07:58:57 pm »

I think if people are going to go through the effort of doing something like this then I don't see why the graphics can't be used in other FE's as well. Seems like a job the whole community could benefit from not just HyperSpin users. Afterall projects like EmuMovies and Mr Do's artwork are produced to benefit everyone and I don't see why these graphics should be horded for a single FE.

No one is talking about hording graphics.  Where is this notion coming from?

While true in the classical sense, a 'horde' of graphics is being created as a result of HyperSpin by the HyperSpin community, but from the above post, the word "horded" has a very negative connotation to it.  These images are being custom made and in most cases they are being created from scratch.  They are NOT being ripped out of snaps/titles/artwork/emumovies/marquees or the like.  They are being hand drawn and in some cases vectored by hand from scratch.  I know this is the case with most of the MAME themes; it may or may not be the case with console themes and artwork.

Why the acrimony?

joebells

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2009, 07:57:45 pm
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2008, 09:09:05 pm »
I run hyperspin on vista x64 and I am pretty sure BadBoyBill runs it on vista x64 too so no issue there.

I believe for the consoles that they are being ripped from the title screen images.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2008, 09:28:19 pm »
I have not read anything about anyone restricting the use of graphics.  Where are you getting this idea from?

I don't think it's fair to assume there isn't a restriction so that is why I am asking the question. If I remember correctly when I mentioned that Khameleon will probably end up including an importer for the HyperSpin skin format BBB seemed upset by it. I am just trying to be considerate by asking if there is permission to use them in a context outside HyperSpin.

No one is talking about hording graphics.  Where is this notion coming from?

While true in the classical sense, a 'horde' of graphics is being created as a result of HyperSpin by the HyperSpin community, but from the above post, the word "horded" has a very negative connotation to it.  These images are being custom made and in most cases they are being created from scratch.  They are NOT being ripped out of snaps/titles/artwork/emumovies/marquees or the like.  They are being hand drawn and in some cases vectored by hand from scratch.  I know this is the case with most of the MAME themes; it may or may not be the case with console themes and artwork.

Why the acrimony?

I think your being a little hypersenstive (pardon the pun) to the word horde. By the use of it I mean "keeping it to yourselves" as in not making it available for others to use. There is nothing negative to it and I think your being defensive for no reason. I did not mention the snaps/titles/emumovies collections as being the source of the ripped artwork, but was making a parallel to the artwork as being freely available for everyone to use. As users of HyperSpin will use that artwork, so are users of other FE's. There are no restrictions of the use of said artwork. So my question is, will the artwork such as the logo's and/or other artwork produced by the HyperSpin community be available in the same vein as these other artwork projects or limited for use in HyperSpin only. That was my (what I thought) valid question. There is nothing bitter in my meaning or tone in asking that.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2024, 06:43:53 pm
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2008, 10:04:30 pm »
Honestly, I don't see why anyone would want to "horde" images and keep anyone else from using them on any of their projects.  Not a single one of us own the rights to any of these images we are simply ripping/modifying them (sometimes hand drawing) for our use.  I personally say if anyone wants to use the images then more power to them.  Hopefully, in return these people wanting to use them will also help contribute to the overall collection(s).  We all have common goals here, so why not share our knowledge and resources for the benefit of the whole BYOAC community?  Now, once someone starts selling these collections.... That is a whole different story.

Hell we are using Circo's EmuMovie collections and re-encoding them to .flv for our specific use.  Circo is going to host our .flv collection and will be available to anyone that has access to the EmuMovies FTP.  Anyone will be able to download them for their own uses...  I don't see them being specific to HyperSpin.   

Now as far as Khameleon is concerned, I have mixed feelings about it...  It's not just about ripping images.  It's ripping whole designs that other developers have created.  However, it will never be as near as good as those front ends it is "borrowing" designs from.  You know the old saying...  Jack of all trades, master of none.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 10:06:32 pm by Dazz »

MPS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2011, 10:24:10 pm
    • Back In Time
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2008, 10:27:14 pm »
I take it the front end will not work with a vertical monitor set up as you would need to create the themes?

I just read on the Hyperspin web site that it is horizontal only.  I would love to have this on my vertical cab, but I guess I will have to have it only on my horizontal cab.

To everyone involved in this project:   :notworthy:   :notworthy:   :notworthy:   :notworthy:   :notworthy:   :notworthy:

AWESOME JOB SO FAR!!!

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2008, 10:39:01 pm »
Honestly, I don't see why anyone would want to "horde" images and keep anyone else from using them on any of their projects.  Not a single one of us own the rights to any of these images we are simply ripping/modifying them (sometimes hand drawing) for our use.  I personally say if anyone wants to use the images then more power to them.  Hopefully, in return these people wanting to use them will also help contribute to the overall collection(s).  We all have common goals here, so why not share our knowledge and resources for the benefit of the whole BYOAC community?  Now, once someone starts selling these collections.... That is a whole different story.

The more that word "horde" is being thrown around here the uglier it sounds. I'm starting to see it was clearly a bad choice of words.

Anyway I'm glad to see someone sees things the same way I do! I totally agree and I don't see it as a one way street either, everyone can pitch in to create graphic sets so coders can concentrate on coding. To be honest I didn't even know there were graphic artists around here willing to help out. I guess it takes something really impressive like the HyperSpin video to motive people into action.

Hell we are using Circo's EmuMovie collections and re-encoding them to .flv for our specific use.  Circo is going to host our .flv collection and will be available to anyone that has access to the EmuMovies FTP.  Anyone will be able to download them for their own uses...  I don't see them being specific to HyperSpin. 

Circo's done a hell of a job to create the EmuMovie collection and I take my hat off to him. I'm not sure about the .flv format being a common one, as HyperSpin is the only FE that uses it AFAIK. But still great to hear Circo is happy to host.

Now as far as Khameleon is concerned, I have mixed feelings about it...  It's not just about ripping images.  It's ripping whole designs that other developers have created.  However, it will never be as near as good as those front ends it is "borrowing" designs from.  You know the old saying...  Jack of all trades, master of none.

I'm not sure if I agree here. Khameleon imports many other FE skins so I don't see a problem with it. I have no personal interest in writing an importer for HyperSpin skins even though my engine can pull of the same level of animation. Before HyperSpin came along Razor was the first FE to have Flash animation capabilities so I was already going in that direction. But since HyperSpin has come along I've had to re-evaluate where I want to take it as I think as far as the most animated FE goes HyperSpin has that pretty much covered.

I also want to say that I really support HyperSpin and think Bill has done a great job on it. I know he supports my work also so it's a mutual respect. Since I do respect him and the work being done, I want to make sure it's clear what is acceptable use of the artwork.

BadBoyBill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2010, 06:34:53 pm
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2008, 10:42:04 pm »
Well overall I'm not really sure my true feelings about the whole art situation, since of course I'm putting alot of work into making my FE look good.  But really its all gonna be out there anyway, theres no point in arguing over who uses what.  People will all know where the themes come from.  I'm all about supporting eachother mutually if we can benefit from others to.  When it becomes a one way street, then I might start to have mixed feelings.  Yes we might use art as a reference to what we make or change things around to suit the themes needs, but its still a whole heck of alot of work.  I've seen some pretty nice themes for some other FE's but I want HS to be different and will never use those works and make my own.  We will continue to make our own themes because thats what we want to make us different.  If others want to use it in theyre FE, then I can't really say much, thats up to them.  We all should really work together for our own and eachothers benefit.   

For the Vista users yes it works on vista 64.  And for the horizontal question, yes its only horizontal, its pretty much because the way the themes are made.  I probably wont be adding vertical support. 

BadBoyBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2008, 10:51:16 pm »
You must have been posting at the same time as me Headkaze, and yes I support your FE and the other things you have given to the community like CPWiz.  Which I still have to look at by the way. 

Before HyperSpin came along Razor was the first FE to have Flash animation capabilities so I was already going in that direction.

Dude don't make me break out my 1st edition of Hyperspin from years ago.  Hehe:)

paulstevens

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2020, 11:41:03 pm
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2008, 11:15:09 pm »
I think your being a little hypersenstive (pardon the pun) to the word horde.

Good one!  I like puns :)

The more that word "horde" is being thrown around here the uglier it sounds. I'm starting to see it was clearly a bad choice of words.

I appreciate you saying this and that you did not mean for your tone to be bitter.  In a similar vein, I did not mean to come off as hypersensitive (:)) nor misconstrue your posts.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2008, 11:39:31 pm »
Dude don't make me break out my 1st edition of Hyperspin from years ago.  Hehe:)

Lol I didn't mean to sound like I was the first to do it. But I admit it was a shock to see another FE using Flash animation. The difference is though I don't use flash I wrote all the animation routines in DirectX from scratch using Flash as my inspiration. So as to the first person to do it it's obviously you because you released a beta and I haven't ;)

I think we are on the same page which is good, and as I said I want to take Razor down a different road and I certainly don't want to be a HyperSpin clone. The animation engine helps but it's not what makes it unique anymore. So as any other creative person like yourself would do, I'll be trying a different angle. Maybe I'll be an inspiration for you ;)

As for the artwork, well I have made quite a collection of png's myself which was alot of work. I don't really see skins the same way I see logos and characters. I think skins are a personal expression that should stay that way for the medium they were created for. But logo's and things like that I think are something worth sharing and working together on. That being said I personally wouldn't mind if Cakemeister wrote an importer for my skin format. In fact I'm sure I would help him out if he asked. I just think that is what he wants to do with his FE and I support him on that.

BTW I think it was quite amusing that we both mentioned a "one way street". Hehe so again we are definately seeing eye to eye here. I don't want people taking my hard work and expecting nothing in return. Communities should not work like that.

My bottom line is I want people to get along and enjoy doing what they do. Things like CPWizard and LEDBlinky are purposely written to support any FE. And I really like how it bridges the invisible barrier people seem to make when it comes to FE's. I like to think we can all get along and contribute together. Sounds gay I know but it's how I feel (maybe I was a hippie in a past life or something) lol ;)

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2008, 11:47:37 pm »
I like to think we can all get along and contribute together. Sounds gay I know but it's how I feel (maybe I was a hippie in a past life or something) lol

Hippies use a 'Razor'?   :laugh2:

But Seriously .. Great attitude, In the spirit of the hobby  :cheers:

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2008, 11:52:54 pm »
Hippies use a 'Razor'?   :laugh2:

Obviously not to shave!  ;D

youki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:07:33 pm
  • Atomic Front End Creator
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2008, 04:34:07 am »
was the first FE to have Flash animation capabilities

Atomic 0.13 was able to use flash animation as background. It was more experimental , i have removed it from later version.  Because i used the Flash ActiveX  , and it caused me some integration problem considering the direction i wanted to go with my layout engine.  So i think, there is always the possibilité to convert the Flash Animation as AVI and use it as background or elsewhere.

Concerning the discussion you have abour re-using the graphics work in other front ends.

I think the problem with hyperskin is that it seems to repose (for now) only on graphics and talent of skinner. The identity of this FE are the Themes.

If other more etablished Front End , use the artwork to produce almost the same visual results.  it could slow down the success of this FE. That could unmotivate badboybill  and that could stop him to produce Artworks.

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2008, 10:06:58 am »
This FE looks INCREDIBLE for a reasonable number of games...but I can't imagine trying to run a full set with it.  MAYBE a couple hundred games at max....

I'd love to see what the "GENERIC" theme would look like... perhaps a "SHOOTERS", "SIDE SCROLLERS", "PUZZLE", etc type of generic themes?

I can only imagine the huge undertaking it would require to do a custom layout for EACH MAME game....I thought doing a video for them all was impossible though and it was pulled off!

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

joebells

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2008, 10:42:19 am »
The generic theme can look like whatever you want it to. An easy thing is just to use the main theme that is used for the main wheel. Like for atari you have that pacman, that background, the logo and the video. You can specify those as defaults in the atari folders and then for any atari games that don't have a custom theme it will display that stuff. So you can easily run a full set and have it all look nice. It's smart enough to not animate it in over and over again too. So if you go through ten games in a row that don't have a custom theme it just keeps the stuff where it was instead of animating it in each time you go to a new game without a theme. Then when it comes to a game with a theme it animates the theme in, and then if the next game doesn't have a theme it animates in the default theme for that system again. The genre themes haven't been created yet but that stuff is being worked on, there is also going to be manufacturer themes too like midway, capcom, namco, and so on.

billpa

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2017, 11:25:31 pm
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2008, 10:47:09 am »
Yes it is a pretty huge undertaking to create themes for every game. Although I seriously doubt we will have one for every game...just the ones in demand.

The majority of artwork is created in Illustrator. We trace bitmapped images of the original arcade art. There is no exact format to any theme. Some you will notice use side art, cp art, marquee art, original design art or (in most cases) a combination of several. It really depends on what looks good.

Some of the work I am doing will make its way into local arcade for people that want to repro art for their cabs. However, I am not super anal with some of the art I recreate (ie not exact replica of original) so I am reluctant to upload all my vector drawings. Plus, some designs are just representations of several pieces of arcade art.

It boils down to time. I won't spend several additional hours on a design just so it can be deemed a replica of the original art. I want to crank out as many themes as I can...especially since there is currently only 3 of us who work on art. Hopefully this will change, and I can assume that when HS goes public...there will be more people stepping up to create quality themes. The key word here is "quality". Bill is setting a high standard for the look of this FE and I think thats what initially motivated myself to donate my time to design themes for HS.

So I understand both sides here. I have no problem with people using art that I have created for HS as long as it is not abused.

In response to Frizzle...yes I believe generic themes would be great! It would allow more people to use HS without the limitations of missing themes to certain games. I believe we are already talking about it right now so stay tuned.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2008, 11:25:50 am »
This FE looks INCREDIBLE for a reasonable number of games...but I can't imagine trying to run a full set with it.  MAYBE a couple hundred games at max....
Actually, it isn't that bad at all...  Right now navigation is limited to up/down a game at a time, but more options are being worked on as we speak.  I think Bill's original plan was that this front end to be used with less then a couple hundred games, but it runs just fine with a complete set.  Each theme is loaded when you stop the wheel on the theme, so memory foot print is quite small.  Once you move the wheel the Front End clears the current theme except the background and then waits till you select another game and loads the theme for that game.  Loading is very fast, no loading or scanning screens at startup or anything like that.  

I'd love to see what the "GENERIC" theme would look like... perhaps a "SHOOTERS", "SIDE SCROLLERS", "PUZZLE", etc type of generic themes?
We are currently discussing ways to be able to do generic genre themes.  For MAME it is rather straight forward, but for other consoles it is much more difficult since this information really doesn't exist in existing dats.  We are using the NO-INTRO system for rom naming, but will have to update the dats with genre & manufacture information.

I can only imagine the huge undertaking it would require to do a custom layout for EACH MAME game....I thought doing a video for them all was impossible though and it was pulled off!
It is a massive undertaking, but it will be completed.... eventually.   I'm sure the community will help out once this is released to the public.  I personally have been learning Illustrator and Flash just so I can create themes for this front end.  Even with my limited knowledge I have been able to take artwork from Localarcade.com and convert them into HyperSpin themes.  I have cranked out about 7 to 8 game specific themes.  Ms. Pac Man was my first and I think it turned out great.  I have since done Crystal Castles, Mortal Kombat, Q*bert, Mario Bros. (my personal favorite theme so far) and Galaga.  I have a couple others that I am working on right now as well.  Once this is released to the public I am hoping we can start a nice little graphics community and pump out themes and graphics on a regular basis.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2008, 12:28:25 pm »
Circo's done a hell of a job to create the EmuMovie collection and I take my hat off to him. I'm not sure about the .flv format being a common one, as HyperSpin is the only FE that uses it AFAIK. But still great to hear Circo is happy to host.
I'm a bit new when it comes to video formats, but can .avi files be rotated and re-sized on the fly?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 01:21:17 pm by Dazz »

joebells

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2008, 01:07:25 pm »
I imagine, just a guess mind you, that its more a matter of the flash program or whatever it is that hyperspin is being written in is best able to handle flv. Plus then you don't have to worry about codecs and such.

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2008, 01:19:54 pm »
Another idea would be to create a theme for each manufacturer....so when Atari titles come on the Atari theme comes up...same for Capcom, Williams, etc.
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

joebells

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2008, 01:21:16 pm »
...There is also going to be manufacturer themes too like midway, capcom, namco, and so on.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2008, 01:22:00 pm »
Another idea would be to create a theme for each manufacturer....so when Atari titles come on the Atari theme comes up...same for Capcom, Williams, etc.
Already in the works.

Brad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2018, 05:43:23 pm
    • www.emuchrist.org
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2008, 09:33:37 pm »
Would it make sense to do a beta public release to generate more public artwork submissions?

Brad

joebells

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2008, 11:50:34 pm »
He plans to sometime semi soon, I think he wants to get at least the backend tool completed and the manufacturer/year/genre info in place. Right now everything is configured using ini files and such. He probably wants to implement certain other things too. I'm not him so I can't really speak for him but it works pretty well as is and I could see it doing ok in a public beta as soon as the backend tool is finished.

I agree as soon as this thing has a public beta the themes will probably take off.

fantoboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2017, 02:02:13 pm
  • I'm a mushroom cloud layin' motha fu($@!
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2008, 07:10:19 am »
How about a theme randomizer?
I think we're going to see a lot of different themes for the same games.  Perhaps we can make it possible to include several themes for one game, and every time you scroll to that game it randomizes which theme you see.  Even with the genre/manufacturer themes.

BadBoyBill

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2008, 09:34:58 pm »
Well the backend is coming along very well, I got to play with it for a while today, just waiting on a few things from that and to get some documentation built up and well be ready for a public release.  The main reason I didnt to a public beta was I didnt want the forum to fill up with tons of feature requests and maintain focus on helping me find things already wrong with it.   I think most of the guys did a good job of this.

In the mean time if anyone is interested in helping out and/or wants to beta test for now then feel free to contact me, the fastest way would be on our forum via PM.  Just let me know how you want to chip in.  You will then have access to our downloads section with all the files you need. 

Thanks.

hutch32804

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2008, 02:06:26 am
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2008, 06:46:41 pm »
PM Sent

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2008, 09:11:17 pm »
Just a quick question will the U360's work on this FE? Or is this something you will add later? And by the way, I love it, and I can't wait to throw it into my cab! Thanks for all of the hard work!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2008, 01:44:10 pm »
I'm not sure if anyone on the team has U360's, so we aren't sure how they operate.  I might be ordering a pair in a couple weeks.  If they require a plugin to work correctly then that might be added further down the road.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2008, 01:45:20 pm »
They work as standard joysticks, however to use the mapping feature, you either need a plugin or set the newer versions of MAME to auto map it.

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2008, 11:42:34 pm »
Thanks guys, I just wanted some clarification... very cool. Keep up the good work!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

arzoo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 10:31:32 pm
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2008, 12:12:42 pm »
They work as standard joysticks, however to use the mapping feature, you either need a plugin or set the newer versions of MAME to auto map it.

Hey GinsuVictim - can you elaborate on how MAME can automap the u360? Is this the case where the u360 is configured as an anolog stick and MAME handles the rest?

edit: Never mind, I found this thread.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 12:18:19 pm by arzoo »
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2008, 12:31:35 pm »
Glad you found the answer, because I didn't have one for you. Mainly because I use Mame .84, which is before the automapping came into existence.

mrclean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2008, 12:48:22 am »
Yeah see if "Fatfingers" can collaborate with you he did the pluggin for MaLa.. Which is a main reason why I use MaLa because i have Ultimarc's U360's and his pluggin automatically maps depending on game.. i.e. if its qbert it will restrict to only diagnals at 45° respectivly pacman 4-way, galaga 2-way, star wars analog  etc.. This FE has alot of eye candy which I love .. MaLa seems to not like "mahjong" on my game list those aparently crash, and circo's movie previews seem to crash on certain ones.. i find that MaLa is stable when i remove all video previews, and take out all "mahjong" games from my list which is fine with me. I would like to see a Stable crashless FE that can include fatfingers pluggin, with this eye candy ! count me in once that happens.. But i'm the type of gamer who likes to have a list of 7,xxx games list for MAME.
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2008, 12:52:56 am »
Yeah see if "Fatfingers" can collaborate with you he did the pluggin for MaLa.. Which is a main reason why I use MaLa because i have Ultimarc's U360's and his pluggin automatically maps depending on game.. i.e. if its qbert it will restrict to only diagnals at 45° respectivly pacman 4-way, galaga 2-way, star wars analog  etc.. This FE has alot of eye candy which I love .. MaLa seems to not like "mahjong" on my game list those aparently crash, and circo's movie previews seem to crash on certain ones.. i find that MaLa is stable when i remove all video previews, and take out all "mahjong" games from my list which is fine with me. I would like to see a Stable crashless FE that can include fatfingers pluggin, with this eye candy ! count me in once that happens.. But i'm the type of gamer who likes to have a list of 7,xxx games list for MAME.

Far as I have heard, Mala is pretty stable already - sounds like you have other issues if your system is crashing so much. Or, try another front end and see if it crashes with those things enabled...

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2008, 01:48:22 am »

Far as I have heard, Mala is pretty stable already - sounds like you have other issues if your system is crashing so much. Or, try another front end and see if it crashes with those things enabled...

Indeed  :cheers:

:soapbox:
This comment annoyed me a bit... I personally don't care what FE people use but you want to be very sure of your facts before making a comment like that in a public forum.

MaLa has a few minor bugs, as this has been reported at this forum by some users, I am  looking into that............ but note there that are many more MaLa users not having issues at all.

I agree with Havok's view you might want to try another FE or MaLa on a different set-up before coming to a conclusion.  ;)

OK I am over it.  ;D

P.S. Hyperspin is looking nice  ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 01:52:29 am by loadman »

arzoo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 10:31:32 pm
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2008, 09:49:51 am »
By the way, for those of you who have asked, the latest version of LEDBlinky will work with Hyperspin as it stands, but only for MAME. It can also automap the u360.
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

mrclean

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2008, 10:52:26 am »
 I certainly enjoy MaLa and i was previously using Mamewah, which to be honest wasn't the easiest to set up with all the ini files, I made the transition over because of the U360 pluggin. Only on MAME does it act up, I have SNES, NES, AND N64 Video previews all working flawlessly, load fast and don't crash/ maybe circo used different codecs on them. End of the day I would like to see these "packs" from hyperspin implement there way into MaLa, with more stability. Any word on if ALL of these games will get these wonderful eye candy ? all 3500 Parent ROMS etc.. not just the top 500?
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2008, 11:22:42 pm »
Any word on if ALL of these games will get these wonderful eye candy ? all 3500 Parent ROMS etc.. not just the top 500?
We are working on it, but creating the themes is time consuming.  No way in hell is our army of 5+ people going to be able to create several thousand themes.  We have about 30 themes complete, but we will have to get a serious group of people dedicated to creating themes.  Eventually we will have themes for every game, but that could be years away from obtaining.

Cameronj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2012, 12:59:01 pm
  • I'm a Super llama!
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2008, 02:20:57 pm »
I will be contributing on the themes here soon. I have a bit of a setback as I lost my ArcadeVGA card somehow and that has delayed what I was doing. It doesn't keep me from doing themes but I had a goal to get the cab to a certain point before I started my themes as I wanted to test them with the arcade monitor too and tweak from there.

I guess I will just have to order a new one. :(