Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: **Hyperspin FE new previews**  (Read 17568 times)

bent98

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2019, 03:35:00 pm
  • Hyperspin Moderator
**Hyperspin FE new previews**
« on: April 29, 2008, 05:30:26 pm »
http://hyperspin-fe.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=21&Itemid=38

FYI to everyone who is not beta testing, you can checkout progress.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2024, 06:43:53 pm
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
Re: **Hyperspin FE new previews**
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 07:31:24 pm »
I must say that progress is moving along at a nice pace...  I am really looking forward to working with the new particle system.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 08:23:16 pm »
Very impressive BBB!  :applaud:

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 09:08:52 pm »
That second video is awesome, I love how each game has it's own theme.  :notworthy:

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 10:17:58 pm »
Unless someone else does the work and releases packs, there's no way I'd put that much into it myself.
Mamewah is fine for me.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:12:43 pm »
Unless someone else does the work and releases packs, there's no way I'd put that much into it myself.
Mamewah is fine for me.
There are a couple of us creating game themes for HyperSpin right now.  BadBoyBill, Billpa, and myself.  We are cranking themes out at a fairly steady rate, but there is no possible way we are going to be able to do them all.  Right now I am creating themes for the mostly played games on my cabinet and requests every now and then.  My graphic skills aren't the best and I'm currently learning Illustrator and Flash right now.  But I've been able to create some very nice themes....  I'm sure once this is released to the public there will be interest in creating themes for it.  Hopefully we can get a nice little community of theme builders going shortly after release.  Thankfully in the mean time a default theme can be used for games that don't have a theme created yet.

Even at this point in beta the front end runs great...  I honestly like it better then MameWah, but still use Maximus as my primary until a couple more tweaks are done on HyperSpin.  HyperSpin will eventually become my primary front end...

KDOG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 03:08:26 pm
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 11:35:52 pm »
I must say this has the best eye candy of all the frontends I have used or seen. Even one in this project is really talented,

Hollywood

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2009, 08:18:27 pm
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 01:07:52 am »
Awesome looking frontend.  Is this frontend going to support the ledwiz?

surf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2011, 11:43:38 am
  • I've built my own arcade!
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 02:18:42 am »
Holy Schmollie!

Those MAME (the only program I run on my machine anymore) screens look frigging killer!

A project like this makes me want to upgrade my machine again!

I applaud everyone that is working on this extremely professional looking front end...

Take care and good luck, this looks soooooo promising!

Surf

http://www.freewebs.com/homepubarcade
(Just a homemade arcade)

youki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:07:33 pm
  • Atomic Front End Creator
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 04:19:07 am »
I'm impressed by the tons of work  that has been done for artwork.

t0ucan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2008, 05:18:52 am
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 05:49:44 am »
Coming along nicly, Hopefully its finished by the time my cabinet is finished. Ive played with all the frontends and I havnt even played with this one yet and like it more.

Few questions but.

1. Emulator list, I have a webdesign and graphic design background so this wont be to hard at all if its possible. But will I be able to edit my own logos like N64,VECTREX, etc to add simply to the spin wheel, as I will be running around 15 different emulators. Which is another question is there any limit on the amount of emulators you can throw on?

2. What will the games lists look like without themes? Because I will be having a couple thousand games for each emulator im not going to run custom themes on that part. So im interested what does the spin wheel games look like with no themes. If you know what I mean. Will it show just the name of the file instead of "NO IMAGE AVAILABLE" like the last theme?

Cheers.

:applaud:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 05:51:55 am by t0ucan »

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 07:00:03 am »
Look like this is the most ugly FE I ever have seen :-P.

..... Just kidding, its look very awesome   :D.

I just hoping it support mala plugins, so I can use my U360 joystick (directly why I use MALA). Otherwice this could been done something due using a *.bat file to programmering the joystick when run the emulator.....

The only other request I elsewice have is I want to see a general Jukebox theme, that can been used to launch a jukebox application of your own chooice, example launch it directly from the wheel or such.

Otherwice Nice work  :applaud:, I just hope it run nice in 640x480 as well.
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

joebells

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2009, 07:57:45 pm
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 07:31:53 am »
Coming along nicly, Hopefully its finished by the time my cabinet is finished. Ive played with all the frontends and I havnt even played with this one yet and like it more.

Few questions but.

1. Emulator list, I have a webdesign and graphic design background so this wont be to hard at all if its possible. But will I be able to edit my own logos like N64,VECTREX, etc to add simply to the spin wheel, as I will be running around 15 different emulators. Which is another question is there any limit on the amount of emulators you can throw on?

2. What will the games lists look like without themes? Because I will be having a couple thousand games for each emulator im not going to run custom themes on that part. So im interested what does the spin wheel games look like with no themes. If you know what I mean. Will it show just the name of the file instead of "NO IMAGE AVAILABLE" like the last theme?

Cheers.

:applaud:

You can change any of the artwork, any. And you can specify default artwork per emulator/system. The wheel image unfortunately will not show the name of the file. I asked about it and he was working with trying it but he said he hated the way it looked, felt it destroyed the way the wheel looked compared to his vision for it so he instead displays the name of the game and manufacturer year at a definable spot in the theme. He hopes to have wheel images for all the us games by release. He is cutting the sprites from the title screens of the games for use on the wheel. Neo Geo Pocket is done so far.

arzoo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2024, 10:31:32 pm
  • Robots WILL kill you.
    • LEDBlinky
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 08:19:22 am »
Awesome looking frontend.  Is this frontend going to support the ledwiz?

I believe the fe will be able to launch an app before starting a game - that would give it limited LED-Wiz support via LEDBlinky.

What it really needs is a plug-in interface or at least the ability to launch external apps for these events:

fe start/quit
screensaver start/quit
game start/quit
Robots will kill you.

Arcade Addiction

t0ucan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2008, 05:18:52 am
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 10:30:50 am »
You can change any of the artwork, any. And you can specify default artwork per emulator/system. The wheel image unfortunately will not show the name of the file. I asked about it and he was working with trying it but he said he hated the way it looked, felt it destroyed the way the wheel looked compared to his vision for it so he instead displays the name of the game and manufacturer year at a definable spot in the theme. He hopes to have wheel images for all the us games by release. He is cutting the sprites from the title screens of the games for use on the wheel. Neo Geo Pocket is done so far.

Ok thats fair enough, Jesus thats alot of work but it would absolutly rock! I may have a look at cutting out all the Megadrive images for the wheel as they will be the game thats most played if he needs a hand and no ones working on that system yet :)

massive88

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2024, 02:21:01 pm
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 10:33:18 am »
A big part of making Hyperspin universally successful will be user help in getting artwork done.

If enough people get together to collaborate, it could be really special.

billpa

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2017, 11:25:31 pm
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 11:14:19 am »
Mamewah is fine for me.

Dude, thats the second time you have come in on a HS thread and talk about how you wouldn't use it and you would stick with Mamewah. We get it, ok? It's not for everyone and its obviously not for you.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 11:29:05 am »
I just hope it run nice in 640x480 as well.
It will run in almost any resolution without much additional work.  All of the themes are created at 1024x768 as default.  The images scale based on your resolutions.  I run at 800x600, but all of the themes that I have created are at 1024x768.  They look just as good in lower resolutions as they do at the default resolution.

As far as a plug-in system for Led-Wiz and similar products, I believe that BadBoyBill has stated that it is a possibility eventually.  More than likely it will not be part of the initial release as the backend is still being written and we have not had a chance to see what it can do yet.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 11:35:59 am »
Mamewah is fine for me.

Dude, thats the second time you have come in on a HS thread and talk about how you wouldn't use it and you would stick with Mamewah. We get it, ok? It's not for everyone and its obviously not for you.

I have nothing against it. It looks completely freakin' awesome and if I hadn't already spent all this time setting up my current frontend, I'd probably wait for this one.

There's nothing wrong with someone pimping their favorite FE. I in no way trashed HS at all. I pointed out that I'm too lazy to do the work myself. (Not to mention my cab only has a 733mhz in it anyway)

You're the one getting their panties in a bunch over someone not using this FE, not me.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:51:01 am by GinsuVictim »

Portnoy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2012, 11:27:50 am
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 12:56:18 pm »
 :o ......I think I'm in love....

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 01:12:37 pm »
Looks really nice, good work!

SGT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 01:37:01 pm »

With who? GinsuVictim? ;D

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 02:04:20 pm »

With who? GinsuVictim? ;D
Yeah, that's what I was wondering.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 10:15:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 02:52:44 pm »

+1. This frontend is all about the artwork. I wonder how big the download size will be considering each theme might be 5 megabytes or more. Even compressed, there might be a gigabyte of data there.
Old, but not obsolete.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 03:20:01 pm »

+1. This frontend is all about the artwork. I wonder how big the download size will be considering each theme might be 5 megabytes or more. Even compressed, there might be a gigabyte of data there.

I don't think any of the themes will be included with the main download of the application.  We have a place setup where you can download each individual theme and might make theme packs that contain several themes.  Currently my HyperSpin folder is a little over 400mb, but that is with 20+ themes plus videos.  I also have lots of un-necessary files in my Hyperspin directory that I've been using for theme creation.  The main .exe file is only 3.4mb and average size that I'm seeing right now with themes is about 4mb.

youki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:07:33 pm
  • Atomic Front End Creator
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 03:29:07 pm »
If you use one layout by game.

If you have a full rom set of mame , i don't know exactly the number of different s games but ,it could be something like :

4Mb  x 6000 games = 24 Giga?

Of course, i don't think somebody will do that.  ;)

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 03:38:18 pm »

If you have a full rom set of mame , i don't know exactly the number of different s games but ,it could be something like :

Heh, I would if we had the artwork...  I've got 2tb of space on my cabinet right now and not really worried about space.  Hell the complete EmuMovies collection is about 45gb...

BadBoyBill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2010, 06:34:53 pm
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 03:42:23 pm »
Hey everyone, thanks to those that like what theyre seeing.

Just to clear a few things up:

Theme size: Very small, average theme is less than a meg.
                    Why your seeing the large size is because of emumovies.  Not necessary to use those but is a plus, just
                    like with any other FE.  Themes are just artwork, like your box arts, titles, etc.. You should see really to
                    much difference in overall size of your artwork if your already using such things.

Using themes: You DO NOT have to use themes to make the system work.  Its just an added bonus if you choose to
                        use them.  Look at the third video down for NGPC.  There are not individual themes, just some emu
                        movies, some boxarts and a default theme.  You can make HS work with your existing artworks. 
                        The only drawback currently is wheel images which we are working hard to produce.  Im just about
                        done with the NES set and it didnt take me to long, expect to see full sets of wheel images as HS
                        matures.  I made that video just to show people that you can run it without individual themes yet still
                        make it look good.  And if you do have a theme it will override your default layout and animate in,
                        then when you go back to a game using the default settings then that will animate back in.

Emumovies:  We currently have a deal with emumovies to host our special video sets that match up with all the artwork we produce and wheel images. Eventually youll just be able to go to the site, download your images, and get your emumovies, install your emu and be good to go. 

juggle50

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2022, 02:46:08 pm
  • Your either on the bus or off the bus
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 05:55:13 pm »
I take it the front end will not work with a vertical monitor set up as you would need to create the themes?

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 10:14:39 pm »

Yeah, the individual game skinning seems like it'll work great since I'm the type that cuts down the 6000 games to something like 200.  It would be completely impractical to work a skin for every obscure majong game in the list as well as the countless others I can't or won't play. 

Anyway, great looking frontend and (as someone pointed out) if you add LedBlinky and U360 support to the frontend, I'd be all over it.    Heck, I might just use it for my regular computer it's that fun.

Yarb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2019, 01:18:30 pm
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 10:33:27 pm »
Wow you guys are making some awesome progress. I cannot wait to get it running on my Cab, I might finally actually be able to say I am at Cab v1.0   :applaud:

I too would love to see LED Blinky plugin support sometime after release.

Yarb

fantoboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2017, 02:02:13 pm
  • I'm a mushroom cloud layin' motha fu($@!
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2008, 07:10:39 am »
Maybe have some generic themes sorted by genre?
Like all fighting games without their own theme has a default fighting game theme.
Shooters, racing games............ Mah Jong
This way you could have a full mame romset, yet still have a little variety when cycling through them games.

This FE looks great, and I would definitely consider switching to it
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 07:12:17 am by fantoboy »

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2008, 08:23:15 am »
Hmmm, not a bad idea... I'll pitch it to the developer and see what he says about it.

Dariusz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 23, 2018, 02:41:36 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2008, 01:06:38 pm »
Curious,

With the wheel style game list system in Hyperspin (for mame game lists), how is each individual game title (name) graphic generated? Is is a fancy font system being used, or is the artwork created for each game title. I gather it may be the first option, as it would be crazy to generate the artwork for each game?

Dariusz

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2008, 01:42:01 pm »
Curious,

With the wheel style game list system in Hyperspin (for mame game lists), how is each individual game title (name) graphic generated? Is is a fancy font system being used, or is the artwork created for each game title. I gather it may be the first option, as it would be crazy to generate the artwork for each game?

Dariusz

From what I can tell they are going through each game and taking a snapshot of the titlescreen then cutting it out. I kid you not. Now do it 3000 times! hehe I think if people are going to go through the effort of doing something like this then I don't see why the graphics can't be used in other FE's as well. Seems like a job the whole community could benefit from not just HyperSpin users. Afterall projects like EmuMovies and Mr Do's artwork are produced to benefit everyone and I don't see why these graphics should be horded for a single FE.

So I guess my question is will these graphics be released as packs that can be used in other FE's? If this is the case then other FE users could help produce graphics for the set also.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 02:04:09 pm by headkaze »

BadBoyBill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2010, 06:34:53 pm
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2008, 03:11:04 pm »
From what I can tell they are going through each game and taking a snapshot of the titlescreen then cutting it out. I kid you not. Now do it 3000 times! hehe I think if people are going to go through the effort of doing something like this then I don't see why the graphics can't be used in other FE's as well. Seems like a job the whole community could benefit from not just HyperSpin users. Afterall projects like EmuMovies and Mr Do's artwork are produced to benefit everyone and I don't see why these graphics should be horded for a single FE.

So I guess my question is will these graphics be released as packs that can be used in other FE's?
They will be released as packs.
I'm the only one making the wheel images right now and its a ton of work.  If other people want to contribute in making them then it would be a nice community wide project.  But the problem is that I dont think many people would join in such an effort. 
The wheel images are being made a specific way and use one naming convention.  I am also making dat's to match the wheel images used which also line up with the boxart and video packs to.  Basically I'm not doing every game.  Just US and EU for consoles.
You know as well as I do that once theyre on my download page people are gonna do as they wish with them anyways.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2008, 03:54:42 pm »
They will be released as packs.
I'm the only one making the wheel images right now and its a ton of work.  If other people want to contribute in making them then it would be a nice community wide project.  But the problem is that I dont think many people would join in such an effort. 
The wheel images are being made a specific way and use one naming convention.  I am also making dat's to match the wheel images used which also line up with the boxart and video packs to.  Basically I'm not doing every game.  Just US and EU for consoles.
You know as well as I do that once theyre on my download page people are gonna do as they wish with them anyways.

I didn't know they were available for download. I understand the work involved in doing stuff like this, so the more work that can be spread around the better. If you didn't want the graphics used in other FE's then I wouldn't add support for them in my FE.

I'm very busy at the moment but when (and if) I ever get around to it I'd be happy to rip some logo's to add to the packs. Obviously I would be reluctant to do that if they were only allowed for use in HyperSpin. People get very protective over their FE's but I'd hate to see the arcade community split just because new FE's are being made.

IMHO There is plenty of room to share graphics without taking away from your hard work and the great FE that HyperSpin is. Since there is already a tonne of work been done to create cpanel's, snaps, movies, marquee's etc. It would be a shame to start restricting use of graphics now. Just my opinion but your welcome to decide what you want to do with stuff created by the HyperSpin community. In my opinion it's up to you, and just because you can download stuff from your website doesn't make me feel at ease to use them how I please.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 03:57:10 pm by headkaze »

clok

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2018, 10:58:39 pm
  • I can play PacMan till the screen splits!
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2008, 04:31:34 pm »
First.. WOW! even better then the first preview.

Please forgive me if its been asked, will this work on Vista64?

AWSOME progress!

massive88

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2024, 02:21:01 pm
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2008, 04:49:40 pm »
First.. WOW! even better then the first preview.

Please forgive me if its been asked, will this work on Vista64?

AWSOME progress!

I have had no problems with Hyperspin on 64 bit OSes, cant specifically remember now if I tried it on Vista64, but it works just fine on XP64 for sure.

paulstevens

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2020, 11:41:03 pm
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2008, 07:44:33 pm »
I didn't know they were available for download.

They are not available for download yet but they will be eventually.

It would be a shame to start restricting use of graphics now. Just my opinion but your welcome to decide what you want to do with stuff created by the HyperSpin community. In my opinion it's up to you, and just because you can download stuff from your website doesn't make me feel at ease to use them how I please.

I have not read anything about anyone restricting the use of graphics.  Where are you getting this idea from?