Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Merit Megatouch Software - Anything like this?  (Read 9649 times)

nate1749

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2008, 01:45:09 pm
Merit Megatouch Software - Anything like this?
« on: October 25, 2007, 12:09:58 am »
Rather than purchasing a Merit Megatouch for for 2,000 used, I was hoping to buy a touch screen and build one myself with just a computer. 

However, I'm having some trouble finding games that are similar to the ones on the megatouch or games that are made for touch screens but sold retail to work on a windows machine.

I'm thinking others have experience with a project like this, but I can't seem to find the search feature on this site (seriously where's the button, am I blind).

I'm hoping to have a front end (like mega touch) with a bunch of games.  For those that are confused as to what I'm talking about, see this http://cgi.ebay.com/Merit-Megatouch-Evo-2007-5-Excellent-Condition-with-DBA_W0QQitemZ320172494132QQihZ011QQcategoryZ13716QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Nate

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: Merit Megatouch Software - Anything like this?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 12:19:33 am »
Since touchscreens are unusual on a home PC, I would not expect there to be many games designed for a touchscreen available as retail Windows products.
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

metahacker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2024, 03:09:39 am
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 01:43:57 am »
well, from what i've seen....megatouch machines are running something along the lines of red hat linux ;) (same init at least)

if someone could get their hands on a hard drive............................................ well...... we could do some 'preservation' :)

nate1749

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 04:47:05 am »
Yeah I wasn't expecting a ton of games to be made for touch screens, but I thought there might be some.  Or even just games that work well with a touch interface and aren't designed for touch at all (any game that doesn't require precision and has finger print size buttons pretty much suffices).

Oh and I had no idea the merit's are running red hat, that's great news.  I actually just upgraded one of my laptops to fedora, but I'm thinking of going back to redhat again since that was easier for me (and the laptop).  Perhaps I can just use their hd w/my touchscreen.

Nate

youki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:07:33 pm
  • Atomic Front End Creator
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 08:03:31 am »
Concerning the Front End.  AtomicFE works also with TouchScreens.

You have just to create a layout for this purpose.  (i don't have layout already done for that  in my download section) , But you can do easly your own with the layout editor.  Or i can quickly do one for you that you will enhance after if you need.

nate1749

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 01:52:58 pm »
thanks youki!  The front end is very important to me (I'm anal) so I'll have to check this software out =)

Nate

FunWithFire

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2009, 01:17:30 am
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 04:54:09 pm »
Any mouse game would work fine. Most of the games that are on Yahoo games would be great. Or you can have a dedicated Minesweeper machine.

nate1749

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 12:06:37 am »
yeah I will go through some trial and error, but has anyone done this before (I assume so).  Looking for some direction from that person, thanks!

Green Giant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2016, 06:50:57 pm
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 02:46:26 am »
A quick search found this,  http://www.magictouch.com/games.html

Also, what about using a Nintendo DS emulator.  With all the games out for it you could have a really nice touch arcade, of course you already own all the games you use for the DS  ;) .
"He lives down there in his valley,
The cat stands tall and green,
Well, he ain't no prize, and there's no women his size,
And that's why the cat's so mean"
Toxic Arcade, my first build

nate1749

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 02:43:32 am »
Thanks for the link (I searched google before, but I always seem to search the wrong things), and I wasn't aware that the DS had a working emulator out for it, that's a great idea!  Although I have the DS and most games don't use the touch pad area (they just use it for a small part of the game, generally not completely dependent on it, I actually dislike when i have to pull out the stylus).  I'll definitely check it out.

metahacker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2007, 01:16:34 pm »
if you are serious about trying to use a megatouch HDD... i went to my local bar and did a little more investigation.

'merit-linux' apparently a hacked up redhat.   seems a bit old.

it's using a i810 video driver, i810 ac97 audio.  celeron under 1ghz.  it has some form of lucent modem it's expecting as well.

i would not be surprised, if you got your hands on one, to find that it's somewhat hackable.  i do get the impression, however, that the app is entirely monolithic.  it would seem to be a SDL app... but I could be wrong.. maybe it is using X11  and X + their app just loaded very quickly

metahacker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 08:35:50 pm »
there also appears to be a hardware encryption scheme with some key.... not sure if this 'chd' format has been reverse engineered yet (i think no).

i have a 2006 megatouch hdd coming from ebay for $20, so we'll see, i have a feeling it will end up collecting dust as it will be encrypted and i wont be the person to decrypt it unless someone else has done it :) i wonder if i can 'donate' it to a mame developer for 'preservation' purposes :).  not sure how they would get it to emulate the full linux/sdl stack though.

in the mean time there is this:
http://touchmegames.sourceforge.net

squirrellydw

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2021, 11:30:22 am
I b**ch. People listen!!

nate1749

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2007, 09:02:52 am »
You got one loaded w/software for $20?!?!  I'll have to keep a closer eye on eBay & please let me know what you discover.  The above linke one has the key (but isn't that the key that will be used with the machine, so if you don't have the machine I don't think it matters too much), but I also noticed on eBay you can just buy the key outright by itself.  I don't really understand how the keys work and when (if they're universal for all their machines or if you truly need a new one every time you update your megatouch).

It's also funny that Merit seems to use regular crappy maxtor hard drives and not an enterprise hard drive (or even flash memory) that's more capable of the abuse it will take in a bar setting.

Nate

nate1749

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2007, 09:05:14 am »

TalkingBull

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2020, 12:38:05 pm
    • TalkingBull Games
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 03:43:49 am »
I am also very interested in building a Merit Megatouch for the house.  If anyone get's anything let us know!  I will scour the net for a HDD in the meantime...

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 04:42:49 am »
ClickBeat is proprenty is a good mouse game, that should work very good on touchscreen. I was so happy with this as I release two songs to ClickBeat when it was annonced.

http://www.thephorse.net/beatclick/news/?cat=6

NB, not sure mousepointer can been disable, but try request that.
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.