Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pentranic 1132 (CH-288) No Picture & Chirping - [FIXED!!!!!!]  (Read 19363 times)

Arm123

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 10:14:23 pm
Re: Pentranic 1132 (CH-288) No Picture & Chirping - Help Please!
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 11:54:48 pm »
Tonight i checked r513, C511, C512, d501 and all is well with those components.

Heres hoping i have some success   ;D

gokun

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2014, 04:57:18 pm
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2008, 03:43:20 pm »
Well, apparently my luck seems to be changing...the guy in town that I found is going to cross reference the remaining parts for me(or get me the exact ones if possible) so I won't have to worry about wrong parts anymore hopefully. :)

Also, Rick has very kindly offered to help me out(take a wild guess where I'll be getting my next monitor when the time comes^_~) so between the two I should have everything I need to finish this up.

I'm still convinced I put the wrong resistor on that sub power board as that is exactly the part that blew out...just my luck it got hot enough to fry some stuff around it too...crappy radio shack carbon resistor! (or crappy repairman-take your pick-lol!)

So I'm very hopeful that once I fix the sub power board it will fire back up again. Obviously I can't be 100% but it seems promising...anyways, should have most of what I need on Friday(the IC may not be in until next week) and once I make the fix will post another update...

In the meantime I have yet another question...just because I'm paranoid now...
would it hurt anything to use a much larger resistor? As in would it work properly that way or would it not?
Reason I ask is I have some pretty heavy duty ones leftover from another project and I was thinking maybe using one of those if it would work ok...but they are MUCH bigger resistors so I'm not sure...I've done it on some (non-monitor) boards and it's fine, but on others not so much....so what do you guys think? TIA!

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:35:44 pm
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2008, 04:38:52 pm »
depending on the circuit as some resistors act as safety resistors
 for example hantarex use anti flame safety resistors,if you don't use the same type and wattage you can actually get a fire :o
this when you need to check schems and get like for like-same watts,same ohms,same type

Arm123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2008, 10:56:47 am »
Well...  I tried to fire up my Pentranic after make my mods and it didn’t work   :(  Still, same chirping.

I put my ear to the chassis and the chirping seems to be coming from the top right of the board.  Where the FET and sub power board are located.

Since i still have not replaced the FET transistor, i think ill do that and check on a few other components in that area.

gokun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2008, 10:02:35 pm »
[UPDATE 2]
Well, after getting a new resistor which is much more manly, as well as a couple other parts I was waiting for, I figured I would give it another shot...so I put everything back together and cut it on and...
No Chirping!
but now I'm blowing the main fuse!  ::) it does have a pretty greenish flash though  :P
anyways, I think I'm gonna replace the FET for this one....does that seem like the obvious choice to anyone else?
could it be my new "manly" resistor? it's a metal 50w and I believe the other was 1/2W or so(both are 270k)...
too big? I'm thinking it's fine probably but always like knowledgable opinions from the experts since I'm still learning and all...
So, yeah, I'm thinking the FET like Arm...opinions?
Oh, and btw Arm, I think I have an extra IC2 if you need one let me know and I'll double check for ya.

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2008, 02:48:54 am »
if you have a metal backed transistor at q401 make sure it has an insulation sheet

gokun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2008, 01:19:25 pm »
if you have a metal backed transistor at q401 make sure it has an insulation sheet

Checked it at lunch today and the original did not have a metal back on it, so not one on the replacement either...but I did put heat compound between it and the heatsink though.

My new FET is on order, so just have to wait until next week to try that...in the meantime go the the chasis back out so I can keep playing with it...gonna check to see if my "hadoken" short blew anything else, since I neglected to do so initially...
Will let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks!

Also, forgot to mention, I am going to replace the FET with a 2sk1358...any objections?

[EDIT]
Well, my "newbie underoos" are apparently showing again....sigh....
got my new sub power board from Rick today(again, cannot thank you enough Rick!) and noticed immediately that in
my hurry to put the old one back together I had put the ic in backwards... ::)
Yes, I know, I suck...but in my defense after the "hadoken" incident the board was completely blackened right there so there is no way I would have ever been able to read the numbers to see which pin went where...still no excuse as I simply didn't pay attention while removing the old one, but a justification will do I suppose... ;)
At any rate, after I've had a chance to settle down a bit, I'm gonna flip it around(assuming it ain't totally fried already) and if that don't work, I'm gonna go ahead and put in the new sub power board....still going to replace the FET when the new one arrives just for good measure....figure I've basically rebuilt the thing anyway at this point, so might as well....anyways, just wanted to let everyone know my mistake...hopefully that will be a good lesson to other noobs (and me) to PAY ATTENTION when you do this work. ;)

[Edit 2]
Ok, managed to fix most of the damage I did, so now I'm just back to waiting for the FET. :)

[Edit 3]
Well, maybe my luck is changing for the better...my sister iscoming to visit from another state this weekend and is going to stop by a good parts store for me on her way...so should have my new FETs tonight, as well as a new ba159 to replace d502 with...(that's a leftover from the "hadoken" incident). So should know something more tomorrow...
this go around I replaced/am replacing:
the fuse (obviously)
IC2(again)
the entire sub power board
FET
d502
possibly the HOT again if it needs it(haven't checked yet)
So, with these, and of course double checking the remaining parts, I'm hoping I get some signs of life...update to follow...

[Edit 4]
Went ahead and tried it since I had a little time...
so it comes on with what I would call the normal sound...
the fuse does not blow...
it does not chirp...
it does not spark or make unusual noises...
but I get no picture at all...and no glow in the neck...
hrmmm....I've read that r510 and r516 can cause this...but other than that I have no idea...
so I'm open to suggestions!
in the mean time I guess I will test those 2 when I get time...will let ya all know...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 07:46:04 pm by gokun »

gokun

• Offline Offline
Re: Pentranic 1132 (CH-288) No Picture & Chirping - [FIXED!!!!!!]
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2008, 08:45:22 pm »
OMFG!!!!! I forgot to plug in the HV plug from the monitor to the chassis(I knew it sounded like it was turning on ok)!!! plugged it in turned up the screen on flyback and IT CAME ON!!!!!!!!!!
OMFG!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE I FIXED IT!!!!!!
WWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR ALL THE CONSTANT HELP AND ADVICE!!!!!!!! :) :) :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 11:10:25 pm by gokun »

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 03:12:33 am
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2008, 03:14:48 am »
Awesome! Good to hear you got it sorted out. Now we need pics of it playing games:-)

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2008, 04:05:52 am »
congrats :D

Arm123

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2008, 04:23:16 pm »
OMFG!!!!! I forgot to plug in the HV plug from the monitor to the chassis(I knew it sounded like it was turning on ok)!!! plugged it in turned up the screen on flyback and IT CAME ON!!!!!!!!!!
OMFG!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE I FIXED IT!!!!!!
WWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE FOR ALL THE CONSTANT HELP AND ADVICE!!!!!!!! :) :) :)

YOUR A MAN !

gokun

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2008, 06:57:22 pm »
Awesome! Good to hear you got it sorted out. Now we need pics of it playing games:-)

[UPDATE-06/19/08]
Still working great I'm very happy to report!

[UPDATE-06/27/08]
No problems whatsoever...weeeeeeeee!
For those keeping score at home it was the hot, that diode and the resistor on the sub power board which were causing my chirping...the rest I blew up myself mucking around and learning. ;)

[UPDATE-07/07/08]
Yep still working, and this will probably be the final update...just wanted everyone to know that it's still fine after almost a month and I forsee no problems with it in the near future. :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:53:48 pm by gokun »

HCR33

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 10, 2020, 12:09:46 pm
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2020, 01:28:56 am »
Which resister on the daughter board did you replace?  I'm having same issue and would like to fix it as well.  Thanks for any help. 

canadiangamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2023, 10:18:49 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2021, 10:38:35 am »
I know this is a really old thread but just wanted to say thanks for detailing your repair adventure and reporting your conclusion, it was all very helpful to me. Cheers!