Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 'Pole Position 2' players - can you do me a favour?  (Read 1503 times)

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
'Pole Position 2' players - can you do me a favour?
« on: April 23, 2008, 07:20:44 am »
This is wierd...

Sometimes I can go faster in Pole Position 2 than other times (& PP1, but lets concentrate on 2).  I thought it was due to my pedal setup/calibration, but from tests with digital inputs it seems it is not.

At the moment, the max. throttle value I can get on my cabinet is 8F (analog OR digital input). On my desktop PC, I can get 90 with a digital input.  I have managed to get FE/FF on my cabinet using an analog input, but it is in the centre of the range which is very strange - ie it goes from 00 up to FF and then down to 70 or so. I don't really understand what is going on...

I have tried different hardware (pedals/buttons etc),
I have deleted my nvram/cfg files etc. just in case,
I have tried 2 versions of Mame (0.99 & 0.123).
What am I missing?

Basically I want to know 2 things from you:

1) What is the top speed you can achieve in km/h (with the speed dipswitch on 'average')?

2) What is the max throttle value given in the test screen (F2)?

Also, does anyone know what the top speed *should* be, ie on a real machine?

Note: romname = polepos2, and I don't mind what Mame version you're using but please specify.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 07:52:18 am by Minwah »

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
Re: 'Pole Position 2' players - can you do me a favour?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 12:07:43 pm »
Also, does anyone know what the top speed *should* be, ie on a real machine?

I found this answer to this in the manual...in 'average' speed mode, the top speed should be 458kph (286mph).  In 'high' speed mode, 582kph (363mph).  The throttle pedal values in the test screen should range from 00 to A0, and brake pedal 00 to FF.

So this makes things even more interesting.  I would still appreciate it if people could tell me what figures they are getting for this...

Edit: the Pole Position 1 manual says the throttle max value should be between 90 and A0, so not quite as far out as I thought.  Even still, I can only get to 8F on my cabinet...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 01:33:46 pm by Minwah »

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 04:36:37 am »
OK, I finally managed to get it working *in MAME v0.123*. Both pedals register from 00 to 90 in the test screen.

It seems to me that the test screen also serves as a calibration screen. So if for some reason your setup is wrong in the test screen, then it will be wrong in the game (even if you quit Mame and open it again).  I guess it must save something in the nvram or something... So after fiddling with settings it is best to enter the test screen, make sure all is good and then exit the test screen.

However, I just can't get it to work properly in Mame v0.99, I can only get up to 70 in the test screen. I found someone else who had the same problem...seems he just switched versions: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=122375&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Now I just have the refresh rate/dropping frames problem as my video mode is 60hz (game is 60.606060)...but I'm very happy to wait for v0.125 now I know I can get this working properly :)

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:10:56 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 09:21:26 am »

glad to have been of service!

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 09:52:10 am »
glad to have been of service!

Ah that was you!? I take it you put the problem down to a Mame bug??