Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Which OS is best for MAME?

Windows XP
21 (70%)
Vista
4 (13.3%)
Tiny XP
5 (16.7%)
OSX
0 (0%)
UBUNTU
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: May 19, 2008, 09:41:01 am

Author Topic: Which OS is best for MAME?  (Read 8965 times)

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
Re: Which OS is best for MAME?
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2008, 05:24:54 am »
I use XP and have never regretted it...never had a problem. It's the best OS for cabs since DOS imho, assuming you have good enough hardware to run it.

aumameman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 18, 2009, 09:50:07 pm
  • AUSSIE MAMER !!
    • Arcade joystick - First attempt
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2008, 07:40:23 am »
OK so if I get a Core 2 Duo it would be advisable to run 64 Bit XP or Vi$ta right?
-- The Internet has you --

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2008, 07:53:25 am »
OK so if I get a Core 2 Duo it would be advisable to run 64 Bit XP or Vi$ta right?

Definately, 64-bit is the future of Mame and emulation in general. 32 bit users are already been left behind.

MAME itself is already at the point where people not on 64-bit OSes are second class citizens, so those sorts of people need to really start considering an upgrade.

- R. Belmont

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2008, 08:50:46 am »
MAME itself is already at the point where people not on 64-bit OSes are second class citizens, so those sorts of people need to really start considering an upgrade.

We all know Mame users and cabinet users are two completely different things tho. In other words people with cabinets usually run into a whole load more problems than the average Mame user...hiding the OS and so on.

I don't deny 64 bit OS's are the future, but I am going to avoid them like the plague for as long as possible...I already have enough headaches with other things...

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2008, 09:13:31 am »
We all know Mame users and cabinet users are two completely different things tho. In other words people with cabinets usually run into a whole load more problems than the average Mame user...hiding the OS and so on.

I don't deny 64 bit OS's are the future, but I am going to avoid them like the plague for as long as possible...I already have enough headaches with other things...

The question is "Which OS is best for MAME?" and it's a 64-bit OS meaning XP 64 or Vista 64 without a doubt in my opinion.  If 64 bit OS's are the future, then the future is already here. Check out the benchmarking thread in the main forum. The results speak for themselves. So as a cab user, we need to decide whether or not were going to keep up with Mame, 64 bit and dual core's or stay with an old 32 bit OS and perhaps stop updating Mame eventually when the megahertz arn't enough.

When I built the PC for my cab, a P4 3Ghz was a decent machine for running Mame. But it's already waning. So if I was to build a new cab even the bottom end new PC's are dual core now (E8400 for example is a cheap CPU but perfect for running Mame), so it makes sense to put a 64 bit OS with it. I don't know if I'll be upgrading my cab any time soon, but I know I will want to eventually. It's always nice to be able to run some of the more demanding games.

Bottom line is though 64 bit XP or Vista answers the question, but as cab users, it is something subjective. But if money was no object I'm sure everyone would upgrade.

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2020, 09:26:27 pm
  • A young guy feeling older than sin......
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2008, 09:31:39 am »
It also depends on why you built your cab.  If all the games you wanted to play are already emulated satisfactorily to you, and you have no desire to ever upgrade and you're also using an older version of MAME, then there is simply no reason at all to run a 64-bit OS.  At that point, your current 32-Bit version of XP may actually be the very best choice.

It was stated earlier, and quite correctly, that MAME users and Cab builders are two different beasts.  I know that right now, I try and update each time MAME comes out with an update.  When I'm putting together the system for my cabinet, I'm keeping certain games in mind and will only update if those games are improved/corrected.  Otherwise, I have no need. 
Donkey Kong High Scores:
1): 49,500
2): 35,600
3): 30,100
4): 29,400
5): 28,200

massive88

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2024, 02:21:01 pm
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2008, 09:41:06 am »
The question is too open ended is the problem.

It should read more like,

Q. Which OS runs mame the fastest with a moderate amount of support and drivers?
A. 64-bit OSes.  Take your pick of Vista or XP

Q. Which OS is the most supported software wise?
A. Windows XP 32-bit

Q. If Im looking to build a cheap machine to run games from the 80's, which OS should I go for?
A. Windows XP or 98, or DOS.

Q. If I want perhaps the best possible performance, but the most difficult time to set things up, with the least support available, which OS should I us?
A. 64-bit Linux

Personally I just upgraded to a 64bit processor, and while I love the performance, Im having difficulty with supporting programs, where in XP everything worked.  I would say right now is a rough time to make the jump to a 64 bit OS, just from my personal experience of trying to get a front end to work.  Out of frustration I may have to go with GameEx, which while a great program, is not really the best option for what I want out of my machine.  However, when its the only one that works well, it becomes the best option.

wbassett

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2023, 04:34:49 am
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2008, 09:48:31 am »
When I built the PC for my cab, a P4 3Ghz was a decent machine for running Mame. But it's already waning. So if I was to build a new cab even the bottom end new PC's are dual core now (E8400 for example is a cheap CPU but perfect for running Mame), so it makes sense to put a 64 bit OS with it. I don't know if I'll be upgrading my cab any time soon, but I know I will want to eventually. It's always nice to be able to run some of the more demanding games.

Just out of curiosity, and I am being sincere not snide... what games do you run that a 3Ghz PC is starting to wane?

I am new to building a cab and things (but I pick things up fast) and I always thought that part of the beauty of Mame was its low overhead and that the Roms could run on a very sparse computer.  The PC I am currently using is one that my daughter was literally going to throw out.  It's an AMD Thunderbird running at 1.2Ghz, 256MB Ram and 40GB HD.  It has an ATI Radeon video card in it... overall nothing to brag about. 

From other sites dedicated to building Mame cabs, having a high end PC is something I don't recall them saying was a requirement.  I do understand that there are some games that require a bit more horse power as well as a few games that have trouble running on the fastest PCs currently out there... but aren't these more the exception than the norm?

I do agree that faster PCs are very inexpensive now, and I have seen 3.33Ghz systems on Tiger for around $150, so getting a higher end system isn't a huge expense, but my question is do the games themselves really require that much processing power?

massive88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2008, 09:58:07 am »
Just out of curiosity, and I am being sincere not snide... what games do you run that a 3Ghz PC is starting to wane?

Mame supports some 3000+ unique games, and maybe 100 of them need a higher end computer to run well.

So you are right, it is the exception to the norm.  Though if you care more about 5 of those games than you do about 2500 of the games that run perfectly, you can see why people want a computer to make the jump.

As for examples of the games with higher requirements, check out some of the benchmarks run in this thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=72776.0

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2008, 10:15:24 am »

I'm a fan of fighters like Tekken, MK, SF & SC so the games I like tend to need higher end machines. I don't play classics like Galaga and Q-Bert, that's just not what I was playing when I was going to the arcades. I would play MK, SF, Gauntlet, Virtua Fighter, Double Dragon, Final Fight, NBA Jam and those sort of games, so my P4 is good enough for most of the games I like, but I wouldn't mind playing Tekken 3, Gauntlet Legends, Carnevil, Soul Calibur etc.

Also my cab in not all about Mame, as I also have a passion for other classic consoles and machines so I like to run some of those games on my cab too. In my case in general the faster the CPU and video card the better.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 10:17:56 am by headkaze »

Minwah

• Offline Offline
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2008, 10:19:34 am »
The question is "Which OS is best for MAME?" and it's a 64-bit OS meaning XP 64 or Vista 64 without a doubt in my opinion.  If 64 bit OS's are the future, then the future is already here.

I half-disagree. *In time* those OS's will be best...but not neccessarily right now.

Remember how just about everyone avoided XP when it first came out (me included)?  But now (or since SP2 or so), most people are pretty happy with it (again me included). Same thing will happen.

SGT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2008, 12:14:23 pm »
Remember how just about everyone avoided XP when it first came out (me included)?  But now (or since SP2 or so), most people are pretty happy with it (again me included). Same thing will happen.

You're happy with XP but not 64 bit XP?

Popcorrin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 11:11:43 am
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2008, 02:26:35 pm »

You're happy with XP but not 64 bit XP?

From my understanding, 64 bit XP is not supported very well.  Isn't there a lack of drivers for it and I doubt that will change because no one is going to want to write drivers for an operating system that is used by so few.
That leaves 64 bit vista, and personally I have been less than pleased with vista.  Hopefully it gets better but it has a long way to go.  I'll gladly trade the 10-15% speed increase offered by a 64 bit Vista for the stability offered by XP.

SGT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2023, 08:29:42 pm
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2008, 03:06:35 pm »
I was under the impression that a C2Duo with 64bit Vista offers a much higher increase than 10 to 15 %.  Where is Taz Naz (or whatever his name is) when you need him?

massive88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2008, 03:54:41 pm »
I was under the impression that a C2Duo with 64bit Vista offers a much higher increase than 10 to 15 %.  Where is Taz Naz (or whatever his name is) when you need him?

In my limited tests I was getting anywhere from 5% to 25% speed increase, with a few running slower than the 32-bit variant.

Performance in Vista or XP was about the same, both for 32bit OS and 64.  I think as long as your memory and processor specs are good enough, you will see this as well.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2008, 04:44:51 pm »
Most of the benchmarking in the main forum are overclocked CPU's and the new E8400/E8500 CPU's are great for overclocking. So the speed increase on standard clockspeeds might not be all that great.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 04:46:26 pm by headkaze »

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2008, 05:07:14 pm »
My best os:
There is no best OS (hence I wont rate).

This is depend which project you are going, which new/old hardware used, which games you want to play, and which hardware you have.

Hence it more a personal chooice, since there is pros and cos for all OS.
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

Definately, 64-bit is the future of Mame and emulation in general. 32 bit users are already been left behind.

Yea, left behind with their working light guns and support for all front ends.  :blah:

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2008, 05:51:50 pm »
Yea, left behind with their working light guns and support for all front ends.  :blah:

Hey I'm still running XP 32 and I have two LCD Topguns ;)

Arbee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 12:36:54 pm
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2008, 01:11:40 pm »
Just a note for the thread starter: MAME OS X 0.124 was released today with a nice built-in GUI, some nifty OS X specific video filtering features, and improved joypad support.  There also are now multiple frontends for SDLMAME on OS X, including MAMETunes and EmuLaunch.  So you don't *have* to use Windows if you don't want to :-)

aumameman

• Offline Offline
  • AUSSIE MAMER !!
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2008, 09:29:43 pm »
@Arbee Do you have a link for me please?? :)
This opens up yet more options for me to consider..w00t!

Considering it will be dedicated to MAME, Windows XP 64 bit maybe the way 2 go as generic Hardware is cheaper than Apple hardware, but I am still concerned about hardware compatibility with 64 bit Windows, should I be concerned?

joebells

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2009, 07:57:45 pm
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2008, 10:53:37 pm »
I really like osx for my desktop but for games/media center I unfortunately think windows is the way to go.

aumameman

• Offline Offline
  • AUSSIE MAMER !!
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2008, 12:12:30 am »
I really like osx for my desktop but for games/media center I unfortunately think windows is the way to go.

Hmmmm, we'll see what I choose but yes I agree, Mac is not a gaming platform, thats what PS3 is designed 2 do :)

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2008, 02:35:04 pm »

:laugh2:

im a win98 man myself. nice n simple...

Not if you're running native. And even if using Advancemame, as I've had much greater success with various cards in in later versions, which aren't compatible with 98.

The idea is I wanna put it in a cabinet, possibly a Japanese Candy Cab as they are real cheap and common here..

Real common where?

And I was wondering if someone like arbee was going to show up. I was going to say something vague in the same direction, but couldn't remember if it was only linux that arbee supported.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 02:38:02 pm by Ummon »
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Arbee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 12:36:54 pm
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2008, 03:23:49 pm »

esaelectrionics

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2013, 01:05:50 pm
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2008, 04:22:06 am »
Dos all the way for me!

Blanka

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2018, 03:19:28 pm
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2008, 02:09:14 am »
krn: http://mameosx.sourceforge.net/downloads/

Is MameOSX optimized for 64 bit? Are any of the Linux Mames 64 bit. People say Mame runs perfect on 64 bit, but Linux and OSX are also 64 bit OS-es.

str1der

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2021, 04:35:31 pm
  • Live it!
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2008, 02:24:29 pm »
If you go with Vista 64 is there any problems running other emulators like visual pinball/pinmame or fruit machine emulators or daphne?

aumameman

• Offline Offline
  • AUSSIE MAMER !!
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2008, 12:56:39 am »
krn: http://mameosx.sourceforge.net/downloads/

Is MameOSX optimized for 64 bit? Are any of the Linux Mames 64 bit. People say Mame runs perfect on 64 bit, but Linux and OSX are also 64 bit OS-es.

Very good point. This brings me back to one of the reasons why Mac Mame was a consideration, also add the fact that there is no "bloatware". I really don't want to go down the Vi$ta path unless I truely have no choice.