Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Suggestions for Catching Ding Dong Ditch Teen  (Read 19826 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Re: Suggestions for Catching Ding Dong Ditch Teen
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2011, 02:34:22 pm »
When I was a kid, we called it Knicker Knocker Nine Door. We'd get into an apartment building and start up at the ninth floor, run down the stairs knocking on the doors on each floor closest to the stairwell. Ah the fun of simple mischief back then... now-a-days kids have fun getting pregnant, shooting each-other, and smoking crack.  ::)

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2011, 03:24:07 pm »

We knew it by the ethnic variation too.  I bet the "knicker" variation is just a misheard version of that.  It's too close to be anything else.

Mikezilla

• I have a hairy back and everything!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2017, 07:06:56 pm
  • I can't see the picture darn it!!!
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2011, 03:56:43 pm »
When I was a kid, we called it Knicker Knocker Nine Door. We'd get into an apartment building and start up at the ninth floor, run down the stairs knocking on the doors on each floor closest to the stairwell. Ah the fun of simple mischief back then... now-a-days kids have fun getting pregnant, shooting each-other, and smoking crack.  ::)

:laugh2: then after thinking about it  :-\

It was always ding dong ditch in my neck of the woods. Gotta love that alliteration.
Pictures are overrated anyway.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2011, 04:11:56 pm »

Am I the only one who pictures knicker knocking as some really old fashioned way of saying they're too horny?

HungryDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2012, 11:44:20 pm
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2011, 04:46:53 pm »
I'll toss in my $.02. I thought someone was doing this to my house for the longest time. One day I noticed someone go up to the neighbor's house and ring the bell and my doorbell went off. Then it dawned on me, we have the remote battery operated buttons and they must have been on the same frequency as the neighbor's set. I changed that around and all the mysterious doorbell rings went away. :)

Check that out if you have that style of doorbell.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2011, 04:48:20 pm »
I'll toss in my $.02. I thought someone was doing this to my house for the longest time. One day I noticed someone go up to the neighbor's house and ring the bell and my doorbell went off. Then it dawned on me, we have the remote battery operated buttons and they must have been on the same frequency as the neighbor's set. I changed that around and all the mysterious doorbell rings went away. :)

Nope, hardwired.  They've been hitting the neighbors, too.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2011, 04:49:58 pm »

Set up a second switch on the doorbell.  Run a trap door with a boxing glove on an extending arm.  Next time you see a neighbor wit a black eye give 'em a second one.

HungryDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2012, 11:44:20 pm
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2011, 04:51:57 pm »

Shoot... then I suggest a stakeout in the bushes with a pellet gun. :)

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2011, 04:58:00 pm »

Maybe if a neighbor called right away, you could catch them at your door?
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

hypernova

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2016, 12:52:48 pm
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2011, 06:06:16 pm »
Also, I doubt the phone call person and door knocker are the same person and I doubt EITHER one of them is the TEENAGER next door (by the way, am I the only one here who knew ding dong ditch by a much less politically correct term).

Knocking and running is a grade school prank. I remember lots of kids doing it in grade school, and I think I even did it myself once. However no one was doing that by the time I was a teenager, it is just such a lame prank.

That makes me clear the teenager in question based on the fact that a teenager doesn't fit the psychological profile of who would do something like that.  (My guess would be a boy of about 11, he is probably skinny, as fat kids can't run away reliably. Anyone on the street fit that description?) In fact, it is probably a trio of boys around that age (boys tend to get in trouble in groups of three).

As for the phone calling, that is the domain of 13-15 year old boys, although I severely doubt they would target (or even have) the telephone number of their elderly neighbor. Why hang up on grandma jones when you could hang up on Samantha from homeroom? Is there any talking with these phone calls or are they just hangups or beeping?

Got any statistics to back up your anecdotal story and personal experience?

Bored teenagers with inattentive and/or uncaring parents end up doing lots of things, running the gamut from mundane to the criminal.
I'll exercise patience when you stop exercising stupidity.
My zazzle page.  I've created T-shirts!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2011, 10:11:35 am »
I think hes being PC with "knicker knocking" we called it ---Bad words, bad words, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when saint censors you?--- knocking. Cant wait to see what the auto-censor does to that.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

CCM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 10:08:27 am
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2011, 10:48:12 am »
Also, I doubt the phone call person and door knocker are the same person and I doubt EITHER one of them is the TEENAGER next door (by the way, am I the only one here who knew ding dong ditch by a much less politically correct term).

Knocking and running is a grade school prank. I remember lots of kids doing it in grade school, and I think I even did it myself once. However no one was doing that by the time I was a teenager, it is just such a lame prank.

That makes me clear the teenager in question based on the fact that a teenager doesn't fit the psychological profile of who would do something like that.  (My guess would be a boy of about 11, he is probably skinny, as fat kids can't run away reliably. Anyone on the street fit that description?) In fact, it is probably a trio of boys around that age (boys tend to get in trouble in groups of three).

As for the phone calling, that is the domain of 13-15 year old boys, although I severely doubt they would target (or even have) the telephone number of their elderly neighbor. Why hang up on grandma jones when you could hang up on Samantha from homeroom? Is there any talking with these phone calls or are they just hangups or beeping?

Got any statistics to back up your anecdotal story and personal experience?

Bored teenagers with inattentive and/or uncaring parents end up doing lots of things, running the gamut from mundane to the criminal.

umm, you do realize that the quote from paigeoliver was from 2008?  I don't think paigeoliver even posts here anymore.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2011, 07:53:21 pm »
I grew up calling it knicker knocking and had never even heard of the other version until I was 16 or so.

I never heard that term.  It sounds more like an alternative to pantsing.

Which is also very uncool to do to the elderly, on many levels.

It was called "Ring and Run" where I lived.  Don't know a "bad version".

*raises hand*

"knicky, knicky, nine door" was what we called it..  :dunno i dunno why we called it that either...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:55:23 pm by lilshawn »

hypernova

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2016, 12:52:48 pm
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2011, 11:19:31 pm »
umm, you do realize that the quote from paigeoliver was from 2008?  I don't think paigeoliver even posts here anymore.

Negative.  Totally didn't realize this was a resurrected thread.  Still needed to be said though, just for general information and whatnot.

I regret nothing!
I'll exercise patience when you stop exercising stupidity.
My zazzle page.  I've created T-shirts!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2011, 12:26:58 am »
#totallywhathesaid

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2011, 02:11:01 am »
I just wanted to throw in my two cents on the "do fire alarms mark the puller" debate...  When I was about 12 I was with a friend when he pulled an alarm.  I booked it of course.  Later that day I caught up with him at his house and he said that the cops came by and shined a black light on him.  He claimed that his arm and if I recall correctly even his chest lit up as if he'd been sprayed.  Of course kids that age like to tell stories so who knows for sure. 

I have a theory as to what could be the the delivery system of the glowing substance if it is in fact not a myth.  The glass rod like thing that you commonly see just below the handle could be made of some fluorescing material that readily sticks to the person.  Probably not true but who doesn't enjoy a good wild speculation!
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2011, 09:52:38 am »

Not sure why every fire alarm doesn't include a fake camera in plain view pointed right at the damn thing.  Few 14 year olds would risk that.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2022, 05:20:38 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,103584.msg1096585.html#msg1096585
    • Newman Family Vlogs

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2011, 10:14:13 am »
That's ink that's been put on the handle and marks hands.  The urban legend is that the alarms spray ink all over you. 

:lol

Wow, I've never heard that variation. Why in the hell would anyone believe that it sprays it all over you?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2011, 10:20:36 am »

Because it's theoretically possible and wouldn't be all that hard to accomplish.

gnateye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2011, 11:22:36 am
  • 4 cabs and counting!!!
    • natty's arcade
« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2011, 10:53:54 am »

this! totally this! had the same thing happen at my house!

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2011, 10:40:27 am »
Buddy of mine had this happening to him for a long time. He happens to be an avid hunter and had one of these handy. He set it up, aimed it at his front porch and got some shots. He put them in the kids mailbox, and it stopped.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2011, 11:00:56 pm »
As per calls, theres a service you can get thru the telephone company that blocks all private callers.

Meaning, if they want to reach you, they have to use the *82 code to disable privacy, then call... which would leave a traceable called ID log as to whom called.

The camera thing would be nice.. however, I think it would be more fun to be a bit more aggressive... such as building an decorative overhang that contained a massive cold water container dumper (hmm, maybe instead use something sticky like syrup, or color dye !), (or maybe some sort of actuated -or manual- hose sprayer system) all filmed in glorious HD, and uploaded to youtube.

Pinball Wizard

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 03:47:13 pm
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2011, 06:10:49 pm »
You guys need to just get a paintball gun and when they start ringing the bell, cover them in paint. Then they are marked extremely well and you got to hurt them some.
Where's my gold star :P

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2011, 06:25:46 am »
Or you could just put a drop of crazy glue on the button.

newmanfamilyvlogs

• Offline Offline
    • Newman Family Vlogs
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2011, 06:31:38 am »
Or you could just put a drop of crazy glue on the button.
You mean with a outward facing thumbtack on the other side of the glue, right?

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2011, 11:31:30 am »
Well I was thinking just coat the outside of the button right before they usually attack.
Instant stuck finger.

And if the guy tears the skin off his finger trying to run, you can always say it must have been another neighborhood kid playing pranks too, that put the glue on it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:33:21 am by DaOld Man »

geomartin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2017, 08:55:24 am
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2011, 12:55:13 pm »
All these get back at you ideas sound like great fun!  But, one has to remember that kids have much more free time and energy than us and they can get pretty creative/destructive in their payback and usually don't bother to ponder consequences.  I tend to try to stay on the good side of the local teenagers.
Please!  Give me the good news first!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2011, 02:42:10 pm »
just stand and wait like a predator... when he comes, whip open the door and field goal kick him right in the nuts.

solves 2 problems:

1:) he will not ring the doorbell ever again.

2:) he will not contaminate the human race