Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The King of Kong -- COMPLETED  (Read 30642 times)

deepblue

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2018, 07:39:28 pm
  • Billy vs. Steve
The King of Kong -- COMPLETED
« on: April 13, 2008, 12:17:54 pm »
Hi All,

I've been a long time lurker gathering information to start my arcade project with a friend of mine. We got going a couple of weeks ago, so I figured I'd start a thread.

Our cabinet is entitled "The King of Kong" - and we're dedicating it to Steve Wiebe, hero of the movie with the same name :)

I'm sure most of you know what this is in reference to, but those who have never seen the movie - official site is here (2018 edit - no longer up, here's the IMDB page): http://www.billyvssteve.com/

We're basing the design on the Lucid plans, adding some of our own variations. The cabinet is going to be 4 player MAME machine, laminated with stainless steel Formica, and of course, with graphics and theme of the King of Kong movie.

(for clarification - it isn't going to be a Donkey Kong'esque cabinet centered around playing that game or looking like a DK cabinet, etc.)

So - the K.o.K (as we lovingly refer to it) is underway :)

I'll post some construction pics shortly, but I was first hoping to get some feedback/critique on this mockup I've created for the control panel. Specifically, I'd appreciate feedback on:

- Are there enough buttons to interact with MAME and play "most" games - largely focused on "early" classic arcade games (like DK, Pac Man, Frogger, etc.) in addition to "later" classics like Double Dragon, Bad Dudes, Gauntlet, etc.

- Do Players 3 and 4 need 6 buttons, or are 4 buttons sufficient?

- Are the joysticks/buttons going to be too crowded on this 48" panel? Is there sufficient space in this rough mockup to utilize the Trackball for games like Golden Tee, etc?

Here's the mockup (had to offlink, too large to fit in here):
http://www.repeater.ca/images/Mockup.jpg

I'd also love to hear from any Toronto area builders on where they've sourced their parts for the control panel, etc. We're looking at some Happ Competition sticks, illuminated buttons, etc., and I've love to know the best place in either the US or Canada to pick them up for the least hassle.

Thanks in advance for checking this out - this is an awesome community of arcade builders!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 02:10:46 pm by deepblue »

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
Re: The King of Kong
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 01:34:22 pm »
Here's Week 1's Construction Pics:

Starting Point:

A few cuts, and she's taking shape!

We're using some of the designs from the Project Arcade book, but for the "arc" in the front, we created a jig and routered the front edges for a uniform, clean line:

Giving us two identical side pieces:

Routering the edges with the slot cutter:

After finishing the cuts, we assembled the base of the unit:

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 02:11:08 pm »
Week 2's Construction Pics:

Attaching the sides to the base - note that we're not using shelf supports or braces. Because we're using a laminate on the exterior of the cabinet we were able to do two things: use plywood (stronger than MDF) and screw & glue from the exterior inwards. A 400lb guerrilla could sit on one of the shelves of this thing and not bother it a bit (we tested this with multiple 200lb guerrillas :) )

Upper and lower back cabinet pieces glued and screwed:

and voila:

We made what could have been a bad decision when we started this project, and started building BEFORE we found a TV. Turns out we found an older 27" Sony (that had S-Video!) that needed a new home. I was a little worried it wouldn't fit - but as it turns out, it is 26" wide, which is the exact width of the Lucid cabinet...so check out how snug it ended up:

It literally has a hair of width on each side...ended up perfect! Next up was the monitor shelf, which was a little tricky to get just right. We also had to cut out a little more of the rear of the cabinet to accommodate the back of the TV. We ended up putting the shelf in a little too flat, so we introduced a front step-up and back catch, and are pleased with the angle and positioning now:

(note this is the Lucid sized control panel, not the one we're going to use...just used it for looking at angles, etc.)

Finally, got some Blum hinges for the front, and went outside the Lucid plans by installing a front top & bottom brace that also acts as a doorstop:

That's it for Week 2, won't be doing further construction for a few weeks until I can order the control panel components, etc.

Jdurg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2020, 09:26:27 pm
  • A young guy feeling older than sin......
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 02:46:41 pm »
Very nice!  In a few short weeks you're already well ahead of where I am with my cabinet, and I've been working on it for a few months now!   :P  (Of course, living in a Cape means I have no garage and no real basement, so my workspace is severely limited and kind of cramped.  Now that spring's here, I may actually be able to set up shop outside and get some stuff done.  ;D )
Donkey Kong High Scores:
1): 49,500
2): 35,600
3): 30,100
4): 29,400
5): 28,200

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 03:03:17 pm »
Jdurg - Thanks. Progress is all about how many friends you've got with spare hands and woodworking tools! I'm lucky that my close friend has a huge woodshop where we can do most of the build.

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 03:24:51 pm »
Yeah, that's a big help.  Hell, I'm just happy to have my own house where I can even think about putting together a cab.  My CP is currently drying down in my basement and is the first thing I've ever built.  So I'm just taking it slowly and enjoying watching everybody else's progress on their cabs!   :cheers:
Donkey Kong High Scores:

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 03:32:03 pm »
Everything looks fantastic.  In regards to the control panel, p3 and p4 do not need six buttons.  Four buttons at most will cover all mame games.  Also, you have the current configuration set to have all buttons and joys straight on in relation to the monitor.  I would recommend rotating p3 and p4 so that everyone is not elbow to elbow while playing.  Also, I don't know if you are a big Golden Tee fan or not, but if you are, I would give a tad more space around the trackball for hitting the angled shots.  Hope this helps! :cheers:

mccoy178

• Offline Offline
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 03:44:17 pm »
Here is a link to the making of my cp:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=50889.msg520002#msg520002

And a pic of the completed top.  I am a huge Golden Tee fan, so it was one of the most important considerations in making my design.

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 04:15:31 pm »
Hi mccoy - Thanks for the feedback...much appreciated.

Just a couple of Q's for you on your panel (which looks great btw!):

1 - Is your trackball 3"?
2 - where did you get your panel graphic printed?
3 - is your panel 5/8's + plexi?
4 - are your buttons illuminated? If yes, which did you get?

Regarding the positioning of P3 & P4, I have really struggled with that. In my lurking until now, I've read many threads for angling, many threads against (main reason being not knowing which way is "up").

Thanks again for the feedback.

mccoy178

• Offline Offline
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 04:40:17 pm »
Let's see here:

1.  It is a 3" Happs trackball with the red boards.
2.  Scott with mamemarquees did a wonderful job on it and the marquee.  Very professional.
3.  It is 5/8" with a the top being made out of metal.  There is more details in my announcement thread.
4.  I used short leaf switches, lighting made from Whammoed, and an LEDWiz from RandyT of Groovy Game Gear. 

As far as P3 and P4 being angled, I have not had any issues with kids or adults.

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 04:50:18 pm »
Let's see here:

1.  It is a 3" Happs trackball with the red boards.
2.  Scott with mamemarquees did a wonderful job on it and the marquee.  Very professional.
3.  It is 5/8" with a the top being made out of metal.  There is more details in my announcement thread.
4.  I used short leaf switches, lighting made from Whammoed, and an LEDWiz from RandyT of Groovy Game Gear. 

As far as P3 and P4 being angled, I have not had any issues with kids or adults.

Thanks!

Last thing if I can pick your brain - I'm just figuring out the control mechanisms for the buttons/joysticks/trackball/spinner - did you go USB or PS2? Did you need more than one control module for your board?

mccoy178

• Offline Offline
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 05:23:15 pm »
No problems on answering the questions, but I would greatly recommend reading through my thread, as I tried to be as thurough as possible on everything.  Page 1 through 4 really talk a lot about the cp design and the components.  I ended up using all 49 way joysticks with GGG encoders.  If you look around page 6 you will see the insane wiring that took place to wire everything.  I am now strongly considering switching back to a basic 4/8 way switchable, as I really miss the clicking and restrictions of an old school controller.  If that is the case, I will be going back to an ipac4 from ultimarc, as I really like his software as well.  If you look through the thread and have more questions, please feel free to ask, but many of the basic answers you seek can be found there. :cheers:

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 05:24:19 pm »
No problems on answering the questions, but I would greatly recommend reading through my thread, as I tried to be as thurough as possible on everything.  Page 1 through 4 really talk a lot about the cp design and the components.  I ended up using all 49 way joysticks with GGG encoders.  If you look around page 6 you will see the insane wiring that took place to wire everything.  I am now strongly considering switching back to a basic 4/8 way switchable, as I really miss the clicking and restrictions of an old school controller.  If that is the case, I will be going back to an ipac4 from ultimarc, as I really like his software as well.  If you look through the thread and have more questions, please feel free to ask, but many of the basic answers you seek can be found there. :cheers:

Will do - thanks!

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 05:41:04 pm »
I'd also love to hear from any Toronto area builders on where they've sourced their parts for the control panel, etc. We're looking at some Happ Competition sticks, illuminated buttons, etc., and I've love to know the best place in either the US or Canada to pick them up for the least hassle.

First place you should check is the Playdium Store (formerly known as Starburst Coin):

https://www.theplaydiumstore.com/

The online catalog is a waste of time for the most part (either call or email them with what you are looking for). They are the distributor for Happ in Canada, so they can order anything in the Happ catalog (just make note of the Happ part #).

After that, the US-based vendors are a good source, just don't use UPS for shipping.

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 10:07:37 pm »
Just got done watching "King of Kong".  Freaking awesome movie, though that Billy Mitchel guy comes off as a complete ass-hole and nothing else.
Donkey Kong High Scores:

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 10:29:16 pm »
Thanks CheffoJeffo - I'll check that out.

Jdurg - King of Kong is an AWESOME movie, especially for those of us with Arcade Interests! Yes, Billy comes off as one of the biggest --bags of cream-filled twinkies-- in history, his only saving grace is that he makes hot sauce.

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 10:32:25 pm »
Thanks CheffoJeffo - I'll check that out.

Jdurg - King of Kong is an AWESOME movie, especially for those of us with Arcade Interests! Yes, Billy comes off as one of the biggest --bags of cream-filled twinkies-- in history, his only saving grace is that he makes hot sauce.

LMAO.  Very true.  That and the fact that his wife is only his wife because of the money he makes, and her gozunga's are definitely not real.   :P
Donkey Kong High Scores:

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 10:33:25 pm »
--bags of cream-filled twinkies--

--->??? Hehe, I think I was auto-censored there, ended up making a better line though ;)

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 10:36:37 pm »
Don't worry.  It was pretty easy to tell that you meant to say --bags of cream-filled twinkies--.   :cheers:
Donkey Kong High Scores:

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 10:37:43 pm »
hah - it was actually "d o u c h e b a g", but close enough ;)

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 10:38:22 pm »
lol.  Had to modify my post as I didn't think mine would get through.   ;)
Donkey Kong High Scores:

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 10:43:38 am »
Week 3 update (work completed last weekend). Had a good but frustrating day of work - frustrating largely because we made a critical error in our initial design that is coming back to haunt us in the control panel assembly...but more on that later. Here's the good things first:

Chrome T-molding arrived from T-Molding.com!

(This stuff is great, come covered with a protective plastic peel, and looks just like real chrome)

Started on painting the exterior that won't be covered by Stainless Steel, and the interior:

(We used Black Tremclad Rust Paint for this - great choice as it covers really well with one coat and no priming. Still have to pull that damn heavy TV out and do the interior around the monitor)

Made some decisions on sound/speakers - I found 4 high end car audio speakers in my shop that were from my old truck, which should find a great home in the King of Kong. We picked out the location for install:

and created a jig to route the holes:

(idea here is to mount them back in the marquis space, and then we're going to create a really cool custom grill front that will sit over them. I believe we've left enough room in the marquis up top for lighting, etc.)

One issue that came up here when we were originally placing the speakers was monitor distortion caused by the large magnets on the car audio speakers, which aren't shielded. I ordered some bucking magnets from www.partsexpress.com that got here fast, and according to what I've read, should do a good enough job with offsetting the little bit of color bleed that was being caused. I'll post install and magnet pics on next update.

Which brings us to the frustrating part - the control panel issues. When we originally designed the jig for the front curve of the arcade, we didn't read closely enough in the Lucid plans to see that there is supposed to be a "flat", 90 degree notch at the bottom where the control panel sits. We instead curved the front edge right to the bottom (as you can see in this initial photo):

This has proved to be a MAJOR pain in the ass. When we originally realized that this mistake had been made, we simply thought we would create the control panel box with an angled back and just slide it in there flush. Well, it isn't that simple at ALL. Because the control panel top also needs its own angle, we found ourselves in a real pickle when we were putting the main box together. These pics should show you what I'm taking about...note how some pieces need mitered and angled cuts on the top and bottom:

It may look like we got it all figured out - but we didn't. Many of the configurations here had us tear pieces out and redo after the fact. There are just too many angles to factor in to get this exactly right...and not to mention that we want to build a keyboard/mouse drawer, hinged control panel top that opens and then to make the whole contraption fully removable from the arcade when needed.

We quit for the day due to our frustration, and my friend has a new idea to essentially finish the build and then run the entire unit through an industrial sander he has in the shop (on an angle) to essentially straighten it all out. Sounds odd, i know, but it is so crazy it just might work. We're also ditching the 5/8's top we started with as it has already started to warp a bit, and is junky wood. We're ordering a piece of Birch 5/8 ply as a replacement, which is some of the best and least likely to warp wood available.

That's all for this week - ordered an old coin door off of Ebay that we'll be grinding down and repainting, and integrating into the front. Still need to order the control panel buttons/joys etc. which has proven to be a very difficult decision...but I think we know what we want to do now.

If anyone has a good link that can best explain the IPAC / Control module thing to me - I'm pretty technical, I just need the Coles Notes on how many units I need for the number of buttons, joys, spinners, etc. I am putting in. Does anyone know if the LED-Wiz is an LED controller and IPAC unit in one?

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 10:32:33 am »
Week 4 Update

Most of this session was spent fixing up the old coin door I bought on eBay. We're still struggling with the control panel and exactly how that's going to work given our "angled" problem. We may just end up scrapping what we've got for a control panel and building a new one from scratch and artificially angling it post build...not sure. That's for the next session.

Back on the old coin door, here's what she looked like to start:

As you can see, pretty rusted out and beat up. I found some great links on this site to some coin door rebuilds, and in keeping with that, followed their directions to first take everything apart:

And then start grinding everything down to the bare metal:

After MANY hours of grinding with a Dremel and then Sanding with a Palm Sander (the flat parts), here's what I ended up with:

Clean right down to the bare metal with plenty of scoring from the Dremel, etc.

I also took care of the Bolts separately:

I then grabbed some textured rust paint to undercoat the coin door (which will essentially provide texture to the door in addition to hiding the scoring from the grinding:

Once the textured paint was dry, I found this great metal paint that I originally intended to only use on the bolts, but it gave a great stainless steel look:

So I applied that to the door also, over top of the texture. Next thing was of course to cut the coin door hole into the front of the cabinet, so we made a jig, and proceeded to cut it out:

The result of an entire day of grinding and painting:

It looks fantastic, and I can't wait to see it with the stainless steel Formica.

One other thing we got completed is applying the bucking magnets to the speakers. This ended up being more difficult that originally thought - largely because two of the speakers had plastic outer shells that the Epoxy wouldn't adhere to. We had to resort to good old fashioned Krazy Glue - which worked great:

That's all for this week - unfortunately won't be able to get together for further work for a couple more weeks, but I am hopefully going to order my control panel parts this week...which is exciting!

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 11:03:24 am »
Coin door looks great. Nice job.

pazzi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2008, 07:47:47 am
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 06:23:14 am »
Project looking great!

http://kotaku.com/5011915/k2-billy-mitchell-as-a-hunter-killer-robot

That might inspire you to keep up the good work!

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 08:41:33 am »
Heh - I'd never seen that before...pretty good. Highlight is when the guy comes up and says "There's a potential Donkey Kong kill screen coming up if you guys are interested" :)

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2008, 06:10:41 pm »
I had to post this image - I just got two shipments of goodies from Lizard Lick and Divemaster. Various coin door parts, 2 UltraStik 360's, 2 Sanwa JLF's, some custom ball-tops, an IPAC4..man does this make you want to get this baby assembled NOW!

I have the rest of my parts coming in from Groovy Game Gear - hopefully next week...then just a matter of getting that control panel assembled!

GameDork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2011, 07:56:45 pm
  • I installed a DDR Pad on Tom Cruise!!
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2008, 02:32:58 pm »
Any progress?!?

Looks great so far!!
Donkey Kong Hi Scores:

1) 169,600
2) 164,300
3) 134,000
4)116,800
5) LOL!

rlehm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2010, 09:04:25 pm
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2008, 12:35:26 am »
Just watched King of Kong and I must say.. I loved it and so did my wife. She HATES Billy Mitchell, lol. I will say this, a poor loser was NEVER a winner! I am glad that he was de-throned!

Twin-X

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2018, 05:59:44 pm
  • Yes this avatar was stolen too!!!
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2008, 03:27:08 am »
Just watched King of Kong and I must say.. I loved it and so did my wife. She HATES Billy Mitchell, lol. I will say this, a poor loser was NEVER a winner! I am glad that he was de-throned!

I just watched it yesterday. And your wife is right!! Billy Mitchell i a  :censored: too bad he is no1 again :(

Anyway this cab is comming along great and in such a fast pace. Wish i had more time to build / finish mine.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2008, 06:05:26 am »
This is looking like a really nice build. Can't wait to see the stainless steel formica!!

rlehm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2008, 07:23:22 am »
Heh - I'd never seen that before...pretty good. Highlight is when the guy comes up and says "There's a potential Donkey Kong kill screen coming up if you guys are interested" :)

i think the little twerp only ran around saying that so a crowd would distract him from actually getting to the kill screen.

GameDork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2011, 07:56:45 pm
  • I installed a DDR Pad on Tom Cruise!!
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2008, 11:04:59 am »

You know, Billy has the record again.....Steve said he is working on breaking it though.

Billy even did it in public!! He does suck major ding dong
Donkey Kong Hi Scores:

1) 169,600
2) 164,300
3) 134,000
4)116,800
5) LOL!

rlehm

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 03:58:37 pm »

You know, Billy has the record again.....Steve said he is working on breaking it though.

Billy even did it in public!! He does suck major ding dong

that sucks. i'll hav to check which he broke, Steve's public record or his live record. GO STEVE....

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2008, 11:52:38 am »
Hey Guys - progress hit a snag when my friend got married! We've had to take a bit of a breather as dedicating entire weekend days has become a little more challenging now that summer is here, and cottages await come Friday.

That said, we got together after work this week and managed to get a few new things done. The control panel challenges appear to have been resolved due to some genius ideas from my build partner. As you'll recall, the many angles and pieces were creating challenges on making the box square and flat on the top such that the panel will sit flush and look right.

Well to deal with this my friend took out his bandsaw and ripped the worst of the high spots off, and then came up with a "sanding table" like this:

That's a piece of plywood with 120 grit sandpaper glued to the top, which allowed us to bring the entire top to be flat, so the top sits flush:

Which brings me to the current stage of development hell I'm in now - designing the control panel layout and getting the panel image and marquee designed and printed. I'm not particularly enjoying this part, as it is taking forever. I'm going to be asking a friend for assistance in vectorizing the images I design in photoshop, and then will get mamemarquees.com to print it up if all goes well.

The other accomplishment for this session was getting the speaker holes routed and the stainless steel formica layed down. Pics below:

We then made a design change decision after reaching this part - rather than use some existing square speaker grills to cover this up, we're going to design our own from scratch, and make circular wood grills that we will cover with orange and blue speaker fabric...my friend came up with this, and I think it will look amazing...roughly photoshopped, will look something like this (use your imagination):

We're starting from scratch with a block of wood, and I'll post progress pics as we go:

That's all for this week, I'm going to try to take advantage of the holiday today in Canada to finish up my control panel layout in photoshop so I can finally get that completed. I may start a separate thread to get feedback on the layout, etc. If anyone has any tips, hints, suggestions or ideas on how to make the control panel design move more quickly and efficiently, I'm all ears.

Thanks for your continued interest guys.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:21:44 pm by deepblue »

Hippie459MN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 06:15:42 pm
    • The Home of Hippie459MN
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 05:34:06 pm »
WoW! Looking great so far. Cant wait to see the finished product and the control panel lay out.

Now to get building my cab now that I will have alot of spare time coming up.  ;D
Long live Donkey Kong Jr.!!!!

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 05:37:28 pm »
WoW! Looking great so far. Cant wait to see the finished product and the control panel lay out.

Now to get building my cab now that I will have alot of spare time coming up.  ;D

Thanks - a word of advice, take the amount of time you think you're going to need and multiply it by 10 ;)

8way

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2017, 05:52:21 am
  • This is my BOOM stick!
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2008, 07:42:02 pm »
Nice work so far, project coming along nicely. Looks like you got lucky with those outer speaker holes. That must be a tight fit getting the router in their.

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2008, 08:50:50 am »
Nice work so far, project coming along nicely. Looks like you got lucky with those outer speaker holes. That must be a tight fit getting the router in their.

Yea, it was a little tight...used an adjustable plunge router that has a nice short side to it to get around those tight spots. At the end of the day routing isn't a necessity in many of the cuts we're doing, it just looks much cleaner and is a hell of a lot easier and more accurate than a jigsaw.

deepblue

• Offline Offline
  • Billy vs. Steve
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2008, 10:21:01 pm »
After a long hiatus - the King of Kong is back on track. Summer slowed things down for my friend and I to dedicate full days, so we had a few sessions spread a few weeks apart. My advice to anyone starting up this hobby - it takes WAY longer that you think it will...life just gets in the way sometimes.

Anyway, here's week 6:

Got the Formica on the inner sides where the TV will go, didn't cover it all the way back as only part will stick out:

And got the Formica on this sides of the unit also:

Finally, back to the coin door - we got it mounted back in, and slotted out where the "drawer" will go: