Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ultrastik 360 Octagonal Restrictor / Happs Concave vs. Convex Review  (Read 25243 times)

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
Re: Ultrastik 360 Octagonal Restrictor / Happs Concave vs. Convex Review
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2009, 08:22:20 pm »

I even made my own circular restrictor this morning with an even shorter throw. Of course the circular one is easy to make. I just used emery to smooth out the inside edge of the smaller hole (19mm) and used an existing restrictor to get the mounting holes drilled out to the exact positions. Works great! I can't get that really nice bevelled inside edge though like on the original.

What material did you use, what is the internal diameter, and what is your map for it?
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

LeedsFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 03:57:36 am »

I even made my own circular restrictor this morning with an even shorter throw. Of course the circular one is easy to make. I just used emery to smooth out the inside edge of the smaller hole (19mm) and used an existing restrictor to get the mounting holes drilled out to the exact positions. Works great! I can't get that really nice bevelled inside edge though like on the original.

What material did you use, what is the internal diameter, and what is your map for it?

I just used a piece of 3mm Perspex I had lying around cut down to a small square to fit the plastic body of the joystick. I did use some washers to help space the restrictor from the plastic body. We have to remember that the restrictor you make has to be the same thickness of the original or else the PCB will be closer/further away from the magnet which will affect the mappings.

The hole I drilled was with a 19mm hole cutter. I didn't alter any of my mappings, they still work fine. However I just play the classics mainly and don't bother with analogue games. If you make a restrictor like this you WILL affect analogue games because the Ultimarc software compensates the maps for their original restrictors only. This is important to remember! But if you just wanna play non-analogue games then this is fine.

I reckon you could go as small as 17mm hole, though I haven't tried this yet. At 17mm you probably might need to start editing the maps, and centering could be a problem.  The plastic part on the end of the stick is about 13mm in diameter so a 17mm hole will only give you 2mm throw at the base. It might work, it might not. I'm happy with the 19mm hole I made.

ArcadeBliss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2023, 11:47:26 pm
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 07:18:40 am »
When you screwed on the balltops / battops, did you damage the slot where the screwdiver goes? That can create problems right there. It can cause the magnet to not sit flush.

this happened to me two. took a while to figure out but was easy to fix.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2009, 02:34:33 am »
I just used a piece of 3mm Perspex I had lying around cut down to a small square to fit the plastic body of the joystick.

The hole I drilled was with a 19mm hole cutter. I didn't alter any of my mappings, they still work fine. However I just play the classics mainly and don't bother with analogue games. If you make a restrictor like this you WILL affect analogue games because the Ultimarc software compensates the maps for their original restrictors only.

I reckon you could go as small as 17mm hole, though I haven't tried this yet. At 17mm you probably might need to start editing the maps, and centering could be a problem.  The plastic part on the end of the stick is about 13mm in diameter so a 17mm hole will only give you 2mm throw at the base. It might work, it might not. I'm happy with the 19mm hole I made.

Ahhh. Mine's about 17. It was done with a laser machine, which cuts in 'sections', so it's not perfectly round. It is about 17mm, so yeah, there's been some issue.

Ultimately that small means you can't use any of the center large box. Because of the inherent play in the shaft/base interface it can fluctuate as to which set of directions it'll favor - ie: currently it's at up-right, but before that was down-right, and it just changes whenever it feels like it. (I've documented this.)

So, you can, but you have to alter your maps every time it decides to change. I don't have any issues if I do as mentioned above when making maps.

19mm is in-between mine and the Ultimarc restrictor.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 02:49:47 am by Ummon »
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.