Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Global Arcade Replica MAME (new & updated pics!)  (Read 17334 times)

valiant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2022, 02:49:23 pm
  • One of three lions...
Global Arcade Replica MAME (new & updated pics!)
« on: March 30, 2008, 12:26:16 pm »
Firstly, thanks to all for their postings on BYOAC - I've been lurking around since Xmas but I thought it was time to give something back for what I've learned from using this site over the last three months.  Also, I hope to put a bit of a UK slant on this if possible for those UK builders thinking of starting a project.

Well, it's taken a few months to get all the necessary parts together (constrained by finances!), but in the last few weeks I acquired the timber and made a start on the frame - 15x 2.4m lengths of 2"x4" and 3x WPBB 3/4" ply 8'x4' from Howarth Timber merchants.

I wanted to design a machine along the following lines:

1. Original Cabinet - from Global Arcade Classics
2. Initial sketch - side image, from Taito's Space Invader 20th Anniversary

Initial idea for a frame came from Scott's Unicade (thanks Scott ;D)  - I decided to base my arcade machine on a Sony Trinitron 29" Flat Screen 4:3 CRT TV (Model KV29F1U), and I was concerned about the weight of the TV - nearly 35kg.  A frame seemed like a sensible idea.

Progress pictures (at bottom of post):

3. Frame pieces in 4x2
4. Frame pieces with half lap joints, cut using band saw
5. Side Frame assembled, glued and screwed together, using a template to maintain consistent pattern
6. Assembled TV shelf
7. Two side frame pieces, cross members & TV shelf ready for assembly
8. Completed frame with Sony TV installed

I tried to do the half lap joints by hand, with a router, mitre saw, table saw to no avail.  I ended up buying a band saw (Metabo), which made perfect joints.  Most of the frame lined up within tolerance, but I did need to use a ratchet strap to pull it into line by 5mm when I bolted & screwed it all together and put the base on.

This setup took approximately two days (mainly over the Easter bank holiday weekend).

Basic components acquired so far include Andy's Ultimarc ArcadeVGA card (Ultimarc), in a Shuttle 2.4Ghz PC with 2GB RAM plus a Star Wars yoke, 1x 270 steering wheel, 2x 360 steering wheel, Hi-Lo shifter, Operation Wolf gun and 2x HAPP Gas & Brake Pedals from eBay US, 2x LCD TopGun (from Play Asia) plus a suite of buttons, joysticks, trackballs, illuminated coin door (10p model) etc. from Gremlin Solutions.

As things progress, I'll keep my thread updated with pics where possible.  Any comments or learning points gratefully received  ;) 

Next job - cut and fix side panels, plus route edge for T-Moulding.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 03:11:35 pm by valiant »

valiant

• Offline Offline
  • One of three lions...
Re: Replica Global Arcade Machine - Lots of curves!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »
Well, the first of the side panels was cut successfully this evening.  In order to generate accurate and smooth curves, I mocked up a simple pivot with a short piece of wood with a notch at one end for the pencil and a hole with a screw at the other.  This way I ensured the curve, which in my plans, were the same diameter for front monitor and rear over.

1. Marking out the circle

I cut the straight edges of my design with a circular saw, using a spirit level to provide the straight edge.  I marked out my line and then offset the level by the depth of my circular saw blade from the edge of the plate.  I then clamped it to the board and then off I went.  This gave me perfect straight lines:

2. Cutting a straight line with a circular saw

I repeated this for the upright, 45 degree CP angle support and top of angle:

3. Starting to look like a side panel...

I then used my jigsaw with a fine toothed wood blade to cut my arcs - I had to fully support the panel to prevent jumping and then on a medium speed took it VERY VERY slowly.  I am not usually a big fan of jigsaws, as I think cuts can be a bit 'wavy', but by taking my time I have got a near perfect cut.  Patience has won out - it took nearly half an hour to cut the arcs out:

4. Rear arc on panel
5. Finished panel

I am very pleased so far with the cuts - very smooth and little splitting or chipping on the ply.

The board against the frame:

6. From the front..
7. From the side..

Seeing it like this makes it look more and more like a true arcade machine!  It's given me the incentive to keep going!

A quick run over with a sand block to smooth the edges and I have overlayed the cut piece on the next board to act as a template:

8. Marking out second side piece

Hopefully by the end of this weekend I will have the front kickplate (with pedals & coin mech), plus side panels fitted.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 02:44:59 pm by valiant »

_) (V) (-)

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2018, 11:56:39 am
  • There's supposed to be an earth shattering KaBoom!
Re: A MAME with no name (yet!)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 06:22:43 pm »
Interesting design, panel on frames, like an old car.
Dual racing controls make it look ready for excitement.
Will be watching this one.

valiant

• Offline Offline
  • One of three lions...
Re: Global Arcade Replica MAME Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 10:57:03 am »
Sent the two 360 wheel bases, the disassembled star wars yoke (instructions from the Wiki - here) to be shot blasted yesterday to remove all rust etc., prime and repaint in the original Matt black. 

My Star Wars yoke had a faulty microswitch in one of the triggers, so I obtained a replacement part from here, plus a few spares to cover any other faults in the future.  Interestingly, my yoke did not have the spring pins mentioned in the Wiki, so my handles came off very easily.

Will post pictures of the returned pieces and re-assembled yoke once complete.

toff74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2013, 04:41:41 am
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 11:33:47 am »
Hello there..

I'm very interested in this build as i've just started out myself and using the same screen (the large sony).

Here's how i'm getting on:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=78553.0

On your initial sketch you have a depth of 23". How did you get that? I've been trying to get my cab as shallow as possible and it still looks HUGE! Also, looks like you got a good angle on the screen there. Did you measure it? Sorry for all the questions, i'm new to this and trying to absorb as much info as possible..

Good luck with the build  :) Looks great

Toff74
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:35:54 am by toff74 »

Mr Wilson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2018, 01:24:44 pm
  • it never ends!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 12:15:07 pm »
looking good ;D i'm from the UK as well

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 01:36:03 pm »
Good job.. I like the way the back is going to curve..

valiant

• Offline Offline
  • One of three lions...
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 05:32:54 pm »
Some more photos - busy weekend and quite tedious.  Also some small amendments to the frame has been required.

Finished off cutting the second panel and then attached both panels to the side of the frame, using screwfix spax screws (odd looking things, with little teeth on the thread).  I countersunk each hole and then filled using a proprietary wood filler.  It took three fill / sand with a B&D DecorMate to get each one perfectly smooth - this took the most time!

I am now set for rear and front panels, plus fitting of speaker panel and marquee housing.  Hope to make inroads this Saturday when the wife is at work all day!

In response to earlier question about the TV, the depth is 26" (not 23" - probably my hand-writing!).  I have the TV on a pitch of 24 degrees - this restricts the amount of overhang at the rear, but there is a small amount (about 1 inch) overhang at the back.  I've looked inside the casing and it appears to be empty space, so may cut this back.  Standing at the cabinet fully constructed, the TV is at right angles to the viewing line for anyone in the height range of 5'8" to 6'.  The actual cabinet (excl. CP overhang) is 28" deep, so it is going to be a lot deeper than my initial sketch.  But given that it's being in built in its new home (i.e. the garage) it doesn't really matter!

Pictures:

1. T-Moulding 1/4" router bit and blade - from DIYTools.co.uk
2. Marking out the frame on the first side piece - so I know where to screw!
3. Placing out second side piece - also helped to check alignment.  Was out by 1mm at one corner, but I can live that!
4. Laying on some spare offcuts to protect side panel
5. Glue ready for laying of first side piece.  Surface was primed with 5 parts PVA to 1 part water (as per instructions on can)
6. Countersunk screws ready for filling.  Ronseal filler is quick drying and was ready for sanding in 2 hours.
7. Filled ready for sanding  ::)
8. Tidied up rear of TV shelf - cut off overhang

I used some offcuts to keep the boards off the floor to prevent damage, as my garage floor, whilst epoxied, isn't perfectly smooth.

Both panels attached!  Now we're getting somewhere!

Some bad news tonight though - I ordered a band saw which didn't arrive in time for the bank holiday weekend.  I had to send back at my own cost and I have had a call today to advise me that it has been damaged in transit , so I am going to have to make a claim against Parcelfarce.

:angry:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 02:48:50 pm by valiant »

valiant

• Offline Offline
  • One of three lions...
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 07:02:24 pm »
looking good ;D i'm from the UK as well

Did you sort out your VGA to SCART cable issue?  If you are using Andy's ArcadeVGA card with your PC, I have a spare VGA to SCART set up if you want it (I used it for testing my initial set up, but I have made another for the final build.  Note it will ONLY work with Andy's ArcadeVGA card.

valiant

• Offline Offline
  • One of three lions...
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 02:17:12 pm »
Well, some good progress made today.   More photos below:

Original Star Wars yoke & 360 Steering Wheels, as purchased off eBay (Yoke had faulty switches):

1. Original Star Wars yoke - the pics below make it look in quite good nick, but on closer inspection the paint was flaking in a few areas, the bushings had failed, one switch no longer worked and the decal was split in two places.

2. One of the steering wheels - quite rusty at bottom and wheel in poor condition

3. Blasted, primed & repainted[/url] - by D&N in Cheshire.  Satin Black finish.

Will post more pictures when yoke rebuilt.  Awaiting new graphic overlay to arrive  ;D

With respect to the cabinet:

4. Screw holes filled & sanded - both sides fitted

Speakers are two amplified speakers with sub-woofer by Labtec (£15) - from ebuyer.  I wanted a subwoofer, 2 speakers and volume control.  I've hacked the volume control with a 10K stereo log pot with a black aluminium knob.  The satellite speakers will be covered with fine black aluminium mesh covers from Nexxia - their 'quality' range.  I will also use some black acoustic cloth which I got off eBay for £4. 

5. Fitting speaker panel - I opted to screw this to the side panels
6. Marquee light housing[/url] - with retainers cut to length.  The red formica sheet is to test size  :)
7. Cheap £15 diffuser & fluoro lamp from B&Q fitted[/url]
8. View from rear of speaker panel[/url]

The light is held in place on a wooden batton which can be removed with two screws for changing the bulb & starter.

Light leak test - none at all!  Very pleased  ;D

I fitted retaining batons around the TV which will hold my glass & also the LCD Light Gun strips:

Provisional positioning of Light Gun LED strip:

Batons for front panel - coin door & pedals:

Admin & 1/2 player button panel - this also allows me to gain access to the TV panel & remote when the control panel is removed:

Perspex panel cut and fitted:

I will be using the perspex panel as a template to give to the glass manufacturer - I will probably opt for clear tempered glass with the rear painted black (looks like smoked when done like this), so I can leave the LEDs clear for the Light Guns and the main viewing area.

Tomorrow - fit front & rear panels!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:48:59 pm by valiant »

valiant

• Offline Offline
  • One of three lions...
Re: Global Arcade Replica MAME Cabinet (New Pics - 12 April 08)
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 03:34:08 pm »
More good progress - it certainly helps to have a wife who works shifts on the occasional weekend  :applaud:

Started on rebuilding the Star Wars yoke this morning:

1. New switches and thumb trigger installed - the contacts for the top switch for the thumb trigger were too long, so I had to cut them back slightly, otherwise they would have hit the back of the main trigger.

2. Right handle on shaft

3. Installed into main body - learning point, feed the cables all the way through, install cog wheel, springs and retaining bolt, THEN pull the cables through the hole - I had to push them through 3 or 4 times which was time consuming  :(

Then I switched my attention back to the cabinet:

4. Cut and installed front panels - these need to have a lot more work done on them - the base panel needs a speaker hole, two pedal holes and a coin door installing.  The 45 degree piece needs hinging on top of the base panel so that I can get access to the base of the control panel, as well as a keyboard shelf.  Waiting for some SOSS hinges to do the job.

5. Rear & back - the top piece needs tp have a hole cut to accommodate two vents with fans, to extract the heat from the TV & PC

6. Cabinet after a good weekend's worth of work  :applaud:

:badmood: Mini disaster as well - one of the caster wheels has failed catastophically, hence the block of wood at the n/s front.  Maybe I need to go for 60kg rated castors  ;)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 03:10:23 pm by valiant »

valiant

• Offline Offline
  • One of three lions...
Re: Global Arcade Replica MAME Cabinet (NEW - Embedded photos!)
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 03:14:02 pm »
Can anyone help with the embedding of photos?  I tried linking from the fixed thread which includes my uploaded photos, but it puts in the full size image - any way to embed the small image, with the larger image if anyone clicks on it, just as if I attached them to the post in the usual manner  ???

valiant

• Offline Offline
  • One of three lions...
Re: Global Arcade Replica MAME
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 02:31:01 pm »
Well, there's been a big delay whilst I worked on my cabinet art and marquee, plus the conundrum as to how to make a modular control panel which overcame a lot of people's problems with having a secure fixing.

The artwork is currently being printed by Scott at mamemarquees.com.  The artwork is square print, but as my cabinet curves over at the top there will be some wastage, which couldn't be avoided really.  Hopefully I may be able to use the offcuts in my control panel.

The control panel fixing method proved a problem.  In the end I have purchased a linear guide system by a company in the UK called IGUS - each panel will be mounted on four or six 'carriages' which slot into a self-lubricating rail.  This rail is then bolted down into my control panel base.  Entry will be from the side panel on the CP, which will fold down to allow me to slide panels in.  Once locked in the upright position, it will prevent any lateral movement on the rail.  Now I just have to fit it!!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 02:35:55 pm by valiant »

AnthonyB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2008, 09:42:43 pm
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 12:22:49 am »
I really like how you did the frame and then the out sides!!

valiant

• Offline Offline
  • One of three lions...
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 04:11:14 pm »
Phew!  Had to focus on other things recently, so back to the cabinet.

Fitted rear doors, extract fans, hood, front panel (incl. coin door frame and two pedal sets) plus hole for bass speaker.  Fitted keyboard drop down panel with magnetic catch and stays.

Some minor sanding and then I will be varnishing before applying the side art & black pica vinyl!

Can't wait!

DrumAnBass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 11:39:59 pm
  • "I love this computer magic!" - Viv Savage
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 09:27:26 pm »
Great design and excellent execution! Love the dual pedals! Can't wait to see this project in it's finished state. Will be very impressive I am sure...!

:cheers:
"Some drink from the fountain of knowledge; I only gargle."

valiant

• Offline Offline
  • One of three lions...
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 03:09:11 pm »
Well, it's been a busy couple of weeks and have managed to finish the basic cabinet to my satisfaction.

Key points:

1. fitted speaker covers
2. fitted pedals
3. fitted coin door
4. covered centre panels in happ black pica vinyl
5. installed t-molding
6. secured TV
7. made bezel
8. installed light gun receivers
9. installed smoked toughened glass
10. fitted marquee
11. fitted rear over vent
12. fitted rear door panels
13. re-assembled Star Wars yoke
14. re-assembled two 360 degree steering wheels

And best of all, have fitted mamemarquee's excellent quality side art - boy, how it finishes it off!  I cannot recommend Scott highly enough guys - this is the best (and easiest!) way to finish your side art, without question.

Next project is the modular control panel!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 03:13:16 pm by valiant »

Martijn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 10:34:36 am
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
Re: Global Arcade Replica MAME (new & updated pics!)
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 03:38:08 pm »
great work, i looked at your design and i also loved the global arcade classics cab, so my cab is based on your and the global cab, it looks good :)
i see you have chosen for a flat control panel, i still left an angle on it

good luck more ! :laugh:

valiant

• Offline Offline
  • One of three lions...
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 03:45:53 pm »
I haven't built the control panel yet - the flat piece of wood pictured is just a temporary fix to allow me to test the PC etc.

It will be sloped at a 10 degree angle, with a slight flat piece just below the TV for admin buttons.

Love your build by the way - I looked at the option of laminating and it would have saved a lot of sanding and varnishing I had to do to get the glass smooth finish!

Martijn

• Offline Offline
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 03:58:35 pm »
thnx :), dont make us wait again for a few months for a update    :P

Global twins  ;D

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 04:55:48 pm »
Man that side art really brings that cab alive!

valiant

• Offline Offline
  • One of three lions...
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 04:10:47 am »
Couldn't agree more and it was very quick and easy to apply - Scott, if you are reading this -  :notworthy:

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 06:33:03 am »
Couldn't agree more and it was very quick and easy to apply - Scott, if you are reading this -  :notworthy:

mamemarquees artwork is SERIOUS..I got bunch of stuff from scott for some of my cabinets and they all looked great. dont think anyone can top his services(well I hear he is busy and cant keep up with demand).

really nice cabinet here..good job !  :cheers:

valiant

• Offline Offline
  • One of three lions...
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 06:36:40 pm »
thnx :), dont make us wait again for a few months for a update    :P

Global twins  ;D

I'm hoping to work on it this weekend  ;)

Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your cab as well!  Where are you based - the Netherlands?

Martijn

• Offline Offline
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2008, 04:33:37 am »
yes , The Netherlands. I will update this weekend.

All the artwork will be done before tomorrow.  :cheers:

Your cab is fatter then mine :P

my cab is 60 cm width, (23.62 inch) with a 25inch tv

Portnoy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2012, 11:27:50 am
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 03:10:41 pm »
Wow! This thing looks beautiful! Love the side art and shape. Looking forward to seeing the CP.

P

ratzz

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2008, 03:42:02 pm »
Looks great buddy, a real monster cab!

That thing has got to weigh a TONNE though hasn't it?

Keep it up ...  :cheers:

valiant

• Offline Offline
  • One of three lions...
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2008, 01:54:18 pm »
Looks great buddy, a real monster cab!

That thing has got to weigh a TONNE though hasn't it?

Erm. Yes.  It's pretty heavy - it's blown two 50KG castors already  :censored:

But then again - steady as a rock for gameplay I am sure  :laugh: