Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The TAXI CAB (Project Documentation now available in PDF!)  (Read 29986 times)

dmworking247

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 01:05:24 am
The TAXI CAB (Project Documentation now available in PDF!)
« on: March 30, 2008, 08:43:53 am »
This is the first of two bartops I've been building using my  own from-scratch design (  link to original thread ) and has a fixed 17" horizontal  LCD, with interchangeable control panels (which can be also be  used simultaneously through the player 2 port on the side). 

After struggling with a color scheme for this particular  bartop, this theme came from the word 'cabinet', shortened to  'cab' and thus the theme and the name was born.

So ... after 6 months of hard work, setbacks and distractions,  I'm proud to present:

THE TAXI CAB

A shot of the internals:

Plenty more details to come (technical details, lots more pictures, build log horror stories, etc) but I'm having web hosting problems so the images are limited tonight.

I hope it was worth the wait :evil

*NEW* PDF Project Documentation
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 10:44:22 am by dmworking247 »

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
Re: The TAXI CAB - The big reveal
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 08:56:10 am »
 :o Wow!

Thats awesome, talk about a pro finish!  :applaud:

Thats screaming out to have some Crazy Taxi played on it  ;D

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 10:38:17 am »
Absolutely fantastic!   :cheers:  I'm totally impressed!! Do you have any more shots of the interior? And how did you get those I/O ports on the side all arranged so neatly?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:02:08 am »
WOW - totally sick!!!!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 12:17:13 pm »
That's seriously impressive. Nice clean finish. Very professional.

Clever idea with the interchangeable control panels.  :applaud:
This signature is intentionally left blank

Rok

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2012, 09:02:36 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 12:28:25 pm »
What method did you use to make the interchangeable panels?

arcadefever

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 05:02:19 pm »
 :dizzy:

very nice, love it.... :cheers:

What method did you use to make the interchangeable panels?

same question for me  ;)

Potts

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2010, 07:31:09 am
  • I hear what your saying....but your wrong !!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 05:32:37 pm »
Good stuff dmworking -

it's original, it's has a retro feel, it's great looking, and it's built well.

More original designs the better  :applaud:

cheers
Potts

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 07:47:51 pm »
Thanks for the compliments guys... I'm proud to see it well received.

Here's some photos that should hopefully address the 'how' questions:

HOW is the CP secured?

The floor of the cabinet extends out to the front and forms the floor of the CPs. The CP side and front walls sit 'around' that floor (the rear wall of the CP is 12mm (1/2") which is the height of that floor panel). I did toy with magnet latches, velcro, plugs etc but none of it was necessary as it doesn't budge... the only way you can move the CP is to lift it straight up.

HOW did you get that admin panel so neat?

I purchased a FrontEx kit for approx US$10 that is designed for modular mounting of ports on the front of PCs. Since I designed the admin panel to take two standard 'PC drive bay' devices it was perfect. I asked for empty bezels and added/wired my own ports and plugs.  The USB took a bit of hacking (as the ports were closer together on the USB cable I had)

What method is used to connect the CPs?

If you look at the pictures above you can see a little alcove on the front of the cabinet. In there is a USB extension cable and a female 15pin connector (a VGA plug) which goes to the IPAC.  The CPs components are wired to a terminal block and then to a (male) VGA plug.

On the side of the cabinet (on the admin panel) you'll see another VGA plug. This is the same thing but wired to the 2player side of the IPAC. This way, you can use exactly the same control panel and plug it either into the front (1 player) or the side (2 player) or if you have multiple control panels, 1 & 2 player simultaneously.  The beauty of them being on extendable cables is you can pull them out to sit further away from the cabinet and have two control panels side by side (they can free stand and not just be wedged to the cabinet).

How is it put together?

You'll be sorry you asked:

The exhaust fan (upper rear angled panel)

Specially shortened power leads

The HDD secured to the floor of the cabinet

The admin panel secured to the CD-ROM which is secured to the floor (I love that bendable bracing stuff)

Speaker and 'fan grill' attached:

Power supply is held to the wall using 'shelf angle brackets' which are drilled into the case of the fan (be careful with this, remove the lid of the P/S and ensure the screws dont go anywhere near internal components)

The LCD (which you can JUST make out in some of the photos above) is sandwiched to the front bezel using HDD mounting brackets ($3). You can use virtually anything you like, but I found these metal brackets had long holes so I could adjust the tension depending where I tightened the screws.   The bezel itself is a 6mm (1/4" ?) round routed edge on the front, and has a 6mm recess on the rear. A 6mm piece if smoked glass is put in that recess then the de-cased LCD is put behind the glass. The finished product looks superb as the tint makes the screen contrast perfect.

The mounted system board(s)
The original (which turned out to be too slow)

The P4 2.66ghz (kicks ass). Note I've changed the orientation of the system board to be vertical (the board was larger and I needed room for the cables), which meant I had to re-do the length of the audio cables (grr). I also had to change and re-mount the power supply as the old (P3) power supply wouldn't run this board.

The admin panel (from left: player 2 connection, LCD power, PC power, Microphone in (karaoke), audio out/headphones, volume down, volume up, USB out).

Control panel 1 (8-way 6 button with pinball controls, spinner and micro optical trackball)

Control panel 2 (left/right handed 3-button 2.25" trackball)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 08:32:13 pm by dmworking247 »

Stobe

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 05:08:05 pm
  • Don't make a fuss, I'll have your Spam!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 09:18:11 pm »
Absolutely beautiful, and brilliantly designed!
* Stobe grabs notepad..... >:D  >:D  >:D

Potts

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2010, 07:31:09 am
  • I hear what your saying....but your wrong !!
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 09:41:23 pm »
man this just gets better and better - I am learning how things should be done.  Very inspirational  :notworthy:

Krohboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2009, 04:49:27 pm
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 09:49:02 pm »
Wow extremely inspirational!

Cero21

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2016, 11:04:44 pm
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 10:44:29 pm »
Awesome job!  Everything looks so professional!

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 11:50:36 pm »
Some shots of various games (with accessories :) ),  and frontend setups

Front Ends (custom layouts for MALA):
The menus for the various emulators is navigated using the Coin1 (left) and Coin2 (right) of the cabinet.  This allows you to navigate the selection of front-end even if you don't have a joystick plugged in (eg if you're using the trackball setup). The trackball OR joystick can be used for game selection, and P1-button 1 is the 'select' key.

P1/P2 start navigate the 'game list' (eg switch between all games, favourites, and various sub-lists of the given emulator)

Each emulator screen looks largely the same with slight variations like the title and quote from taxi.

Arcade (Taxi says "Take me to the Arcade") and the respective game control panel is visible under the logo.  The second photo is Gameboy Advance ("I want to go home and play some console games").

Pinball ("Take me to the Pinball Parlor"), and MegaDrive/Genesis (same quote as Gameboy but different graphic and title).

Music Menu (launches Frets On Fire (Guitar Hero clone), Jukebox (DWJukebox), and Ultrastar (Singstar clone)). The image under the logo is a yellow guitar with black stripes (to stay consistent with the cabinet).

Some Games / Apps

Pacman, Ultrastar (Singstar Clone)

Frets On Fire (Guitar Hero Clone), Jukebox (DWJukebox). The best thing about this jukebox is that I've got E:\ as one of the directories, which means you plug in a USB key into the side and it automatically adds the songs to the song list.  This way you can use it as a party jukebox and people can "BYO songs" 

Virtual Pinball (works beautifully... it doesn't work on my upright so I'm jealous), and Mortal Kombat 3 (running at 59/59 FPS)

Ghouls'N'Ghosts and Golden Tee (using trackball)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:29:34 am by dmworking247 »

Apollo

• Yes You Can Have A Custom Title
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2021, 10:49:02 pm
    • Eight Bells
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 03:37:59 am »
drool

Amazing job dude, well done!

golfboyusa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2018, 12:44:25 pm
  • Kinda tired....think I'll go home now.....
    • Ted's Arcade
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 12:16:48 pm »
Wow, That is some professional work! This project is the sharpest tabletop I've seen... :applaud:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 06:14:26 pm »
OK, since I ask this in just about every project announcement thread... what did you do for the finish?  Paint?  Laminate?  What was your sanding technique, if any (grit, etc.)?  You really seem to have avoided the dreaded "orange peel" surface.  It came out beautiful and I need answers!!!   :cheers:

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 08:50:40 pm »
OK, since I ask this in just about every project announcement thread... what did you do for the finish?  Paint?  Laminate?  What was your sanding technique, if any (grit, etc.)?  You really seem to have avoided the dreaded "orange peel" surface.  It came out beautiful and I need answers!!!   :cheers:

Ah this is where the truth behind the finished product is revealed!

Is this what you mean by orange peel? :)

To be fair, incidents like the above happened due to the fact that I was [spray] painting outside and I have a lot of tiny leaves, bugs and all sorts of crap that feels compelled to attach itself to wet enamel paint...

This happened on one of the top coats when one of the previous coats obviously hadn't had enough time to dry so when I was trying to wipe off the bugs it all started coming off.  This cost me a week or so of rubbing back the control panel and starting again.

Nevertheless that was a 'freak incident' that can be avoided by patience (good preperation and allowing sufficient drying time) as well as a dust/dirt/wind free painting environment.

To describe my finish, the MDF was sanded with 80 sandpaper, then puttied up to cover all the screws and sanded back with 120. It was painted with several thin coats of 3-in-1 sealer/primer/undercoat mixed with a small amount of PVA glue and water for thinning, then sanding lightly with 240 between each coat. It was applied with a paint gun which did the job but would have been easier with more professional equipment. 

The top coats are a high gloss yellow enamel paint thined with mineral turpentine. The first coat was sanded with 400 wet & dry, the next with 600/800 wet & dry (depending on the area being sanded), and then the final (third) coat of enamel was applied.  From memory the control panel tops got a bonus coat.

I then masked up the pattern for the 'black checks' using painters tape and adhesive stencil vinyl (available from sign writers) which is easy to remove without residue. The checks were then painted on with a can of Plasti-Cote (brand) gloss black.

The finish has proven very durable, but if the control panel surface shows any sign of ware I will be using some spray adhesive on some yellow vinyl available from textiles stores and painting the same 'check' on it. Thanks to the way the T-molding surrounds the top surface this is easy to accomplish.

At a later date another control panel (for second simultaneously) player will probably be made, possibly using a 'road map' print underneath a thin layer of plexy.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 08:56:49 pm by dmworking247 »

psychotech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2011, 11:01:50 pm
    • psychotech
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 10:13:20 pm »
 :cheers:

MazzMn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2013, 12:38:19 am
  • chicken, fight like a robot
    • The IceBox Oak Cocktail Table
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 10:17:22 pm »
This is great dm. Nice Nice Job!

Can we add it to the examples wiki page (please) ?
http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Bartop/Countertop

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 01:36:14 am
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2008, 10:40:20 pm »
Beautiful!! I love that Frontex side panel. And the finish job is first rate!
Project mega thread HERE

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 12:32:56 am »
Mazzmn,

I certainly will... along with my asteroid table top (recent project too)... I just need to put them up on my website so that I'm linking to something permanent and not these posts.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 10:35:27 am »

Ah this is where the truth behind the finished product is revealed!

Is this what you mean by orange peel? :)

To be fair, incidents like the above happened due to the fact that I was [spray] painting outside and I have a lot of tiny leaves, bugs and all sorts of crap that feels compelled to attach itself to wet enamel paint...

This happened on one of the top coats when one of the previous coats obviously hadn't had enough time to dry so when I was trying to wipe off the bugs it all started coming off.  This cost me a week or so of rubbing back the control panel and starting again.

Nevertheless that was a 'freak incident' that can be avoided by patience (good preperation and allowing sufficient drying time) as well as a dust/dirt/wind free painting environment.

To describe my finish, the MDF was sanded with 80 sandpaper, then puttied up to cover all the screws and sanded back with 120. It was painted with several thin coats of 3-in-1 sealer/primer/undercoat mixed with a small amount of PVA glue and water for thinning, then sanding lightly with 240 between each coat. It was applied with a paint gun which did the job but would have been easier with more professional equipment. 

The top coats are a high gloss yellow enamel paint thined with mineral turpentine. The first coat was sanded with 400 wet & dry, the next with 600/800 wet & dry (depending on the area being sanded), and then the final (third) coat of enamel was applied.  From memory the control panel tops got a bonus coat.

I then masked up the pattern for the 'black checks' using painters tape and adhesive stencil vinyl (available from sign writers) which is easy to remove without residue. The checks were then painted on with a can of Plasti-Cote (brand) gloss black.

The finish has proven very durable, but if the control panel surface shows any sign of ware I will be using some spray adhesive on some yellow vinyl available from textiles stores and painting the same 'check' on it. Thanks to the way the T-molding surrounds the top surface this is easy to accomplish.

At a later date another control panel (for second simultaneously) player will probably be made, possibly using a 'road map' print underneath a thin layer of plexy.

Now that's what I'm talking about!  Totally sick!!!   Was it tough sanding in the corners and stuff?  I had a tough time on my cab with that.  I think I might follow your advice on my next one!  :cheers:

EDIT:  Are there any plans to release the... um, plans for this thing?  I'd be especially interested in the dimensions of the profile - I like the look.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 01:33:09 pm by javeryh »

MazzMn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2013, 12:38:19 am
  • chicken, fight like a robot
    • The IceBox Oak Cocktail Table
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 12:41:11 pm »
Mazzmn,
I certainly will... along with my asteroid table top (recent project too)... I just need to put them up on my website so that I'm linking to something permanent and not these posts.

I set one up for TaxiCab, we can update the links when you go online with your website

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/TaxiCab

Mazz

vrf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2017, 10:11:54 pm
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 10:34:56 pm »
Awesome bartop! Very classy.

I think I'd be interested in a similiar design (if I ever finish #1) although I might try to integrate the trackball on the main control panel. Probably have to extend it out a bit, though.

Great design work!

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 10:41:48 pm »
I realize you mean a full size trackball, but I just thought I'd point out on the 'main' control panel there is an 8-way joystick, 6 buttons, side and front pinball buttons...

AND

A spinner

AND

A minature optical (finger) trackball with a steel ball which works beautifully for all but high velocity trackball games like bowling or golf. Unfortunately such trackballs aren't "off the shelf" items though as i hacked it out of a server all-in-1 admin tray.

By the way, I am building two bartops built off the same base plans. However, the other one (incomplete) is taller (for manual rotation of the screen) and slightly wider (by nearly 2", which would be wide enough for you to put a dedicated trackball on the main CP).

Regarding the plans, yes I will make them available. I did take extreme care in building the plans before physical work began, but it would still be best if I reviewed the plans again (after measuring the finished product) to ensure everything is ok.

vrf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2017, 10:11:54 pm
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 02:50:22 am »
Ha! I didn't see that little trackball. Yeah, that works for all your navigation stuff.

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 09:25:15 am »
Awesome bartop cab dmworking247, I love that colour.  :notworthy:

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:42:50 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 06:35:33 am »
:o Wow!

Thats awesome, talk about a pro finish!  :applaud:

Thats screaming out to have some Crazy Taxi played on it  ;D

was thinking the same thing (",)

nice work. keeping a cab to basically two tones really works well, and what better combo than yellow and black?

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Mr Wilson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2018, 01:24:44 pm
  • it never ends!!!!
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 01:02:56 pm »
that looks sweet ;D

Bloinkxp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2020, 11:20:28 am
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 02:19:21 pm »
Dude I love that mini!

What guitar did you use for F.O.F?
Nothing witty here...move along.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 04:00:17 pm »
Looks good. Very clean and nice work.

joey1207

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2021, 10:20:30 am
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 04:44:36 pm »
Awesome work! :cheers:

BORIStheBLADE

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2012, 10:53:59 pm
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 07:16:10 pm »
Very clean and very nice. :applaud:

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2008, 08:11:37 pm »
Dude I love that mini!

What guitar did you use for F.O.F?

Thanks!

I used this guitar from play-asia.com. They look pretty good, and my daughter reckons she actually prefers it over the PS2 GH controller.  I find the buttons a tiny bit less forgiving as they need to be pushed in the center.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2008, 10:38:48 am »
Any update on those plans?   ;D

jcroach

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2012, 09:36:56 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2008, 11:41:25 am »
Very, Very nice. 

I love the rectangular buttons designed to look like coin slots.  What's the chance you could post the image file you used to great that effect?  I'd love to use it on my machine when I finally building it........................

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2008, 04:18:20 pm »
Very, Very nice. 

I love the rectangular buttons designed to look like coin slots.  What's the chance you could post the image file you used to great that effect?  I'd love to use it on my machine when I finally building it........................

Looks like the NovaGemCDR Coin Door from GroovyGameGear to me... http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=295&zenid=08e5ef23c31759cafba6de64b6ec6334

jcroach

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2012, 09:36:56 am
  • I'm a llama!

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2008, 02:36:42 pm »
Actually the 'coin buttons' were from OzStick

The player start buttons were also from ozstick, but I made my own inserts.

amadama

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2019, 04:44:52 pm
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2008, 09:56:31 pm »
Awesome, awesome, awesome! This is really creative and I love it. Congratulations on such a great build! The changealbe CP's are fantastic.
Alex

ace3093

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2012, 03:29:12 am
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2008, 12:33:05 pm »
This is one of the most impressive projects I have seen.

Great job!  :notworthy:

Lachlan438

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2008, 08:21:58 am
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2008, 04:17:41 am »
this is by far the best looking bar top i have seen nice work

once i finish my up right cab i might start tring to make my first very bar top

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
The TAXI CAB - Project Documentation now available!
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2008, 10:35:58 am »
I'm quite proud of this project as it so much higher quality than my first arcade build... but so far I've done a poor job of documenting it.

So last night (between obsessing over a new pinball purchase), I documented the project for your viewing pleasure.

The Taxi Cab project is now documented in PDF format and is available on my website: http://www.got2getalife.com/

Here's a direct link to the PDF

Enjoy (and please let me know any comments/feedback).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 11:07:58 am by dmworking247 »

nuka1195

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2020, 08:47:25 pm
Re: The TAXI CAB (Project Documentation now available in PDF!)
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2008, 10:56:59 am »
your direct link needs some work.

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2008, 11:08:18 am »
sorry, fixed

robC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2017, 11:59:59 am
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2008, 12:54:11 pm »
Dude! Thanks sooo much for putting this together for us! I am just about to start on my 'Taxi Cab Clone' project, and this is exactly the kind of documentation that will make the process a lot easier. I love the design and the swappable controls are great. 

Thanks again bro, and you should be very proud of this project. Very original and professionally executed.

-Rob

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2008, 06:22:05 pm »
Was there supposed to be something on page 13?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2008, 07:57:30 pm »
Was there supposed to be something on page 13?

D'oh, no sorry. Fixed.

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 04:27:34 am »
Dude! Thanks sooo much for putting this together for us! I am just about to start on my 'Taxi Cab Clone' project, and this is exactly the kind of documentation that will make the process a lot easier. I love the design and the swappable controls are great. 

Thanks again bro, and you should be very proud of this project. Very original and professionally executed.

-Rob

You're welcome Rob... I offered to make this particular cab for a mate so that I could try a few things and prove to myself that I could do better than my first project.  I try to document things so that others might learn some new tricks like I have off this forum.

If you (or anybody for that matter) decides to make a cabinet based on this project or its plans, I'd love to see it! Also keep me posted for any mistakes I've made or details I've missed and I'll update the PDF.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 06:31:02 am »
Real good work on the write up buddy!  :applaud:

Theres alot of useful info in there that will help alot of people, me included.  :)

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2008, 07:27:40 pm »
Sweet..  Really creative, and excellent craftsmanship.

robC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2017, 11:59:59 am
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2008, 03:57:37 pm »
Hey DMWorking,
    Where would one find those power ports like you have on the back of the machine?

Thanks!
Rob

tk375

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2008, 01:52:18 pm
  • Know what is right and wrong.
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2008, 12:32:19 pm »
Man, I am just looking at your post simply amazed! Great job and thank you so much for sharing your plans!
 :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

TK 375
TK375 Why aren't you at your post? "He is building an arcade sir."

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2008, 08:52:25 pm »
Hey DMWorking,
    Where would one find those power ports like you have on the back of the machine?

Thanks!
Rob

Rob, sorry I missed your post!

I got that plug/socket from Jaycar:
JayCar IEC320 socket

I've seen a few other bartops on this forum that have the same plug, but with a switch/fuse also built in.  I simply wired the back of this plug onto a chopped PC power cable that leads to the PC power supply (I soldered the wires on properly and put heat shrink tubing around the connections so there was nothing exposed).

Lord Hiryu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2020, 12:05:39 pm
    • Lord Hiryu's Artwork
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2008, 12:09:46 pm »
Simply superb!!!!!
Great job, and outstanding finished professional look!!!!!

Cheers.
Que tiempos aquellos, en el que las vidas se llamaban tanques !

mrmarch20

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2019, 07:35:45 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2013, 01:14:19 pm »
I'm really hoping that someone has the plans for this cabinet. I went to got2getalife.com but the link is dead. I've finally decided that I want to build my first cabinet and this looks incredible. Appreciate and help.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:12:09 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2013, 01:34:59 pm »
Never seen this before, excellent work!  :cheers:

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2013, 03:32:48 pm »
Amazing work!

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2013, 10:45:59 am »
I'm really hoping that someone has the plans for this cabinet. I went to got2getalife.com but the link is dead. I've finally decided that I want to build my first cabinet and this looks incredible. Appreciate and help.

Sorry for taking so long (months) to notice that the link was dead. The link to the project plans is now corrected in the first post of this thread.

for convenience, here it is again!

puskarich

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 02:55:57 pm
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2017, 09:46:38 pm »
Beautiful build.  Though it may be a stretch, are the plans still available? All the links are broken.  I'm considering a similar design.