Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Metal Dance Pad rebuild.  (Read 2185 times)

armad1ll0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2012, 12:24:57 pm
  • The player and the builder!
    • Modeverything
Metal Dance Pad rebuild.
« on: May 26, 2003, 07:13:03 am »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I started a project to rebuild a Redoctane Metal DDR pad with "cherry" microswitches. A terminal can be cut off and the cherry switch fited in there for a clicky feel and durability. I don't now how long the switch will last since it's a tight fit. a 200# dude may break it. We'll see.

I think that it can fit and 6 additional soft joystick springs will ensure that the plates come back up. I'm also shaving and hand fitting the plates so that they move nicer. It's a pretty quick rebuild, I think. I'm also switching the encoder to a Sony one...

NY_in_TX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2017, 11:19:54 am
  • First play's free...next one will cost ya
Re:Metal Dance Pad rebuild.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 04:10:39 pm »
 :D

sweeet!!  we'll need to see pics

ny

b3atmania

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2005, 09:48:57 am
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 04:23:27 pm »
I'm an advanced DDR player and for the songs with a rating of 6-9 feet require you to tap the panels in quick succession.

The main design flaw with all consumer dance platforms seems to be the rate at which the panel can register taps. Sure, they work fine for easy tracks, but when you try the harder tracks you find they cannot register your moves at all.

By my estimate, you need be able to register 6 taps per second ON THE SAME panel. This said, how does your solution perform in comparisson?

Btw, the DDR platforms in the arcade use membranes to register the panel hits.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 04:25:02 pm by b3atmania »

armad1ll0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2012, 12:24:57 pm
  • The player and the builder!
    • Modeverything
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2003, 06:57:42 am »
Hmmm thanks for the challenge!

I really don't know till I get it together and tested actually. Redoctane has some really good players and when I'm done, I'm going to bring it back to them for testing. They gave the two of them to me for free in the first place.

I'm really not into DDR but building is a hobby and it would be cool when done. Microswitches can register that many clicks per second so it's about how fast the plate can respond to this solution. Using a light arcade spring really does bring the plate back up really fast so I think that I'll keep only one microswith under each plate so that multiple ones don't hold the contact shorted too long and therefore reduce the responsiveness.

The only word is "wait and see."