Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Atari XO Football - Mame ?  (Read 6482 times)

johnvv

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2012, 08:36:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Atari XO Football - Mame ?
« on: March 26, 2008, 11:09:47 pm »
I've been out of the mame world for a bit, so pardon a potentially ignorant question.

Atari XO Football in Mame:  How do you configure the game to properly emuluate the play select?  In the arcade version, each player could select from 4 plays.  A single button for each player was used to toggle through the 4 choices.  Once both players had selected their plays, action on the playfield started.

In mame, I can't get 'button 1' to toggle through the plays.  Pressing it simply selects the first play of the 4 potential choices everytime.  No additional play choices, or 'cycling,' are available as in the real game.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Atari XO Football - Mame ?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:00:15 am »

XO football isn't a TTL board?  Wow.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 12:10:28 pm »
Nope -- it's not a discrete logic board -- it runs a 6502.

Apologies to the OP for not having an answer to his excellent question -- I hope you find one in case I can't my Football project up and running and need to drop a PC in place of the PCB.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

johnvv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 12:12:57 pm »
XO football isn't a TTL board?  Wow.

Not sure what you mean...  Pardon my electronics ignorance.

The original XO Football play selection board is simply 4 lights and one button that cycles through the lights.  In detail, players are on a game timer to select their play.  A play is selected simply by pushing the button until the desired play light is lit.  If they both select within the period of the silent timer, the play selected by the lit light is then set as their play and actual game play begins.  If one player does select and the other does not press his play selection buton at all, then the game generates a penalty.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 12:22:34 pm »
I think Chad was just surprised that it is emulated in MAME.

Discrete logic games (i.e. no CPU) typically aren't. Football, however, is not a discrete logic board -- it runs on a 6502 CPU.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 01:36:58 pm »
I think Chad was just surprised that it is emulated in MAME.

Discrete logic games (i.e. no CPU) typically aren't. Football, however, is not a discrete logic board -- it runs on a 6502 CPU.

That is exactly what I meant. 

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 01:34:14 pm »
Try the latest version of MAME (0.124).  It seems to allow you to toggle the plays now.  You're right though, I tried an older version of MAME and it always selected the first play.

johnvv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 07:18:04 pm »
Hofle:

I don't have that version yet, but will get it.

Would you mind trying it and seeing if when you select the 4th play on the rev.2 version, do you get a pass play or a kick?

This is part 2 of my XO quest - finding the legendary (recently confirmed to be real) 'punt' ROMs.  Apparently rev.2 boards were later upgraded with yet another set of ROMs that changed the play selection (on offense) from 2 runs and 2 passes to 1 run, 2 passes, and 1 punt/field goal.  If the 'punt' ROMs are not in mame, it would be great to add them to the library if/when I ever actually get them.

On defense, the 4th play would be a kick return.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 07:19:51 pm by johnvv »

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 10:36:52 pm »
On rev2, the 4 plays on offense are: bomb, down and out, sweep, and keeper.
The same plays are available on defense, so something still doesn't sound right?  Do you know if the original game displayed the play on the screen?  Or was it just some light illuminating a label or something?  Because MAME now shows the selected play on the screen right above the play field.

johnvv

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 10:47:28 pm »
The orginal game did now show anything on the screen.   The selected play was only noted by the currently illuminated lift othe control panel.  Sounds like the mame guys added the play info for use in mame.  The play options you mention are from the non-punt ROM version.

So, it would appear that even mame does not yet have the 'punt ROMs' included in the library.  Could be the only Atari ROM version missing from mame!

Thanks for checking.

u_rebelscum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 06:16:51 pm »
Because MAME now shows the selected play on the screen right above the play field.

Hide the bezels and you won't see the names.  (Mame added the help, outwise the game was almost unplayable.)

Download the control panel art, put it in your artwork folder, and you'll see how the leds lit up.

I wonder if the art on the CP for the punt version showed the punt plays?  And if anyone has pictures of it?
Robin
Knowledge is Power

kelkyko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2017, 11:04:49 pm
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 12:15:01 pm »
Hi,
I'm trying to play atari football on MAME and am having the same problem with calling plays.  I have an X-arcade tankstick hooked up to the game.  It all works, I just can see and don't know what buttons cycle through the plays.  I'm running version 2.  It doesn't show the plays on the screen.  Any help appreciated!

I also heard there is a version that has the plays on the screen to cycle through.  What is the ROM name for that version.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Kelly
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:26:42 pm by PL1 »