Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes (topic closed please use latest) Regards Alan  (Read 150345 times)

jon bryant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2010, 04:37:20 pm
Re: Advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2010, 04:19:01 pm »
I have a Rowe Ami R-88 that is in ned of adjustment.  When the magazine rotates and stops, it doesn't stop immediately.  It DOES stop at the correct position, but then rotates a  little past ... sometimes 2 or 3 positions.  The magazine motor does stop at the right spot, but it seems like the brakes on the magazine don't work! 

How do I adjust this?

Jon

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2020, 01:22:45 pm
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2010, 09:10:08 am »
Hi Jon,

More than likely you will have a problem with the Sprag Assembly (40721901)
It could be that the pawl on the sprag lever assembly is not adjusted correctly or may be that the Sprag Wheel is damaged (these can wear out with the teeth worn through) or the stem bushing may have rotted away (this can happen if the mechanism is oiled in this area).

I suggest you stip this part of the mechanism down and check the above, if you do not have a manual I suggest that you get one.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2010, 10:50:00 am »
I have seen both the sprag gear and the sprag gear stem rubber bushings go bad at the same time. That allows way too much "slop" in the assembly.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: May 12, 2010, 05:57:29 am »
Hi Ken,

Yes we have all seen the problems on the wear of all these plastic parts used by most jukebox manufacturers in the past and present.

With regards to stem bushings, I contacted Happ/Suzo last week they had three in stock (not sets just 3) also they no longer do the turntable drive belts.
I know Bruce Wentworth has some but you have to buy the sprag wheel as well

It looks as if Happ/Suzo are dropping a lot of jukebox parts. Bad news for end users.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

JayhawkJones

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 03, 2010, 04:40:54 pm
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2010, 10:30:52 am »
Hi guys,

My CD 100E quit playing CDs the other day. It seems to think it's playing CDs (putting down the right CD and spinning it) but no sound. I re-initialized just to see if that would help. Now it's playing CDs but at a volume so low, only a dog could enjoy it! The external volume control has no effect.

Does this sound like anything common? I have the manual but thought I'd ask the experts first!

Thanks,

Seth

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: May 17, 2010, 11:15:31 am »
Hi Seth,

You do not mention which CDM Laser disk is fitted. CDM3, CDM4, CDM12 or CD Pro.
More than likely there will be a dry joint (cold joint in the USA) on the Mech Control/Decoder.

Check that the phono connections are ok on the above and the amplifier.
You could check the amplifier by pluging in a CD player into the amplifier to test it.

Get backto us with more information or when you have tested the amplifier with another source.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

JayhawkJones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2010, 02:42:19 pm »
Thanks Alan,

I got home late last night so I didn't get a chance to get under the hood to check it out. Offhand I don't know which CDM laser disc I have. But I'll check it out and get back soon!

Thanks,

Seth

JayhawkJones

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: May 19, 2010, 12:18:35 pm »
GREAT NEWS! I'm up and running again! Ahh, it feels good.

I had a loose connection on the transformer. It was so simple, I just needed to look to the right place. I've got a LOT to learn about this machine. I've only had it for two months now, so I'm just learning my way around it.

Thanks for your help, Alan! I did check and I have a CDM 12. But I don't know what that means or if it's good or bad!

But I was back to rocking last night!!!

Thanks,

Seth

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2010, 05:20:36 am »
Hi Seth,

Glad to hear you are up and running, once you have a jukebox it is hard to go back to silence.

The CDM12 should be ok, it is among the later CD units. Is the mechanism (carousel) the newer open type or the older type with separators between each CD.
If it is the open type then you need to do nothing. This newer type and the conversion kit was introduced by Rowe Ami to stop the CD's from being damaged by poor handling, the CDs scratched on the separator wires causing mis reads of the CD's.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

fishy10

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2010, 10:11:05 am
R83 Disco 200
« Reply #129 on: June 01, 2010, 05:34:10 am »
Hi,
For the past 15 years Ive had a Rowe Disco 200 and has been working fine,but for a year now has started repeating records. If left, it will play the same song over and over and only by switching off or clearing memory will it move on, but even then it sticks to playing the same selected song.
Sometimes after machine has been on for an hour or so the normal selection continues, just seems very random. Tried changing and unplugging boards but nothing seems to improve it. Is there a certain place I should be looking?
Regards
Rob

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2010, 11:16:44 am »
Hi Rob,

Does the jukebox select the records you select as well as this stuck selection?
If the above is true then the problem is a memory fault within the LSI (custom chip) in the Memory Unit (located on the right hand side of the carousel)
If you are in the USA you will need to send your Memory Unit to Bruce Wentworth for repair. If you are in Europe send in the following boards to me in the UK.

Memory Unit
Selector Logic
Mechanism Control Unit

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
alan-hood@datex.co.uk

Gremlin73

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2011, 04:17:25 pm
« Reply #131 on: June 06, 2010, 03:04:26 am »
Hi Alan,
My inlaws have just bought a R-91 and when the jukebox is powered up the display comes up ERR4 and stays up for a few seconds but it plays ok, i dont know if this is related but also the coin mechanism seems to get confused alot when you put a pound in it sometimes gives 1 credit and other times 3 or 4 but never the right amount, this isn't a major problem as you can keep putting money get it to work, I'm trying to get a service manual for it so i can set it to freeplay

Thanks ,Emlyn

Gremlin73

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2011, 04:17:25 pm
« Reply #132 on: June 06, 2010, 12:23:25 pm »
I think i've found the problem now it seems err4 relates to the Control Computer battery has failed that also explains the incorrect credits as i've found that the jukebox resets to factory presets which is $1.00 for 2 credits,

Can the Battery be replaced or am i going to have to source a second hand/exchange Central Control Computer

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2010, 06:00:02 am »
Hello Emlyn,

Yes the battery can be replaced, you should be able to locate the correct 3 volt lithium battery (Varta is a good make). You will however need to set up the CCC after replacing the battery, so that manual is a must, any of the manuals will do from a R-89 to R-93.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:03:01 am by ami-man »

bushjc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2012, 06:47:15 am
« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2010, 11:10:51 am »
I have a question about a Rowe R-89. 

I am attempting to convert this machine into an mp3 jukebox and I was wanting to use the original amp/speakers/controls. 

Could anyone provide some insight on connecting the output from my computer to the amp? 

Any help would be appreciated.

MrD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2020, 04:34:05 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2010, 12:22:46 pm »
I think you would need something like this:
http://www.cdadapter.com/inv-riaa.htm

It get's the line outputs correct.  You just connect one end where the wiring went to phonograph and the other to your soundcard.

I had an R90 and R92 - they both had RCA inputs into the amp itself (they were combos - vinyl and CD player in the same box).  Not sure on a R89.   I keep meaning to put up some pictures of the CD connections to the CCC (in a combo unit). I documented it all someplace, and since have gotten rid of the jukebox.

bushjc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2012, 06:47:15 am
« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2010, 11:36:19 am »
I have a Rowe R89 that I am parting out.  I have the record mech intact and it is working.  However, when the tonearm comes over to the record it seems to be not making good contact with the record.  At least not enough to play correctly.

Can the tonearm be adjusted or is this part of a larger problem?  I can hear a "scratchy" sound from the record, but it seems to be playing the same thing repeatedly.  I have tried it with different records and get the same results.

Since I will be listing the unit on an auction site, I want to be able to indicate any issue it may be having or complete any slight repairs that it may need.

Thanks in advance!!

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2010, 06:09:14 am »
Hi bushjc,

The problem on your mechanism (carousel) will more than likely be down to a broken tone arm cam, styli/cartridge replacement or the tone arm cable catching somewhere on the mechanism.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

fishy10

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2010, 10:11:05 am
Re: repeating records
« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2010, 10:11:05 am »
Hi Alan,
Thanks for your reply re 2nd June, suggesting the memory board may be responsible for repeating records. Im in the UK, Sussex and it may be Il need to send the board to you. A couple of things regarding the credit computer panel on the back wall, all the small white switches are selected as off and the bottom two wires going in on the connector block when moved make the `record playing/your selection` lights flicker on the front panel.Would either of these have an effect on repeat play?
Regards
rob

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: July 05, 2010, 05:36:25 am »
Hello Rob,

The credit board should not have an effect on the problem you are having.
I would however send it in with the other three boards as per my last message in order to check this board for dry joints. When the Selector logic board is put into test the jukebox is set to free play.

Here are my details for sending in the boards for testing/repair.

Alan Hood
Games Unlimited & Datex Systems
Units 4 & 5 Lion Park
New Street
Halfway
Sheffield
S20 3GH
0114 247 0242/0114 247 4104 phone
0114 251 0727 fax
alan-hood@datex.co.uk

langleybea

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2011, 04:45:31 pm
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2010, 12:06:25 pm »
[/b]Hello I have a R1-5 Romantica.it has a problem  as well with the pick up arm.it`s not putting down tracking and lifting to back after playing.It docent release from the mech i`ve, looked at the mechanism and cant see any thing obvious.Please could you help.the changer was working when i picked it up.i think it needs a good service as it seems a bit clunky.Norman Manchester UK.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2010, 08:50:06 am »
Hello Norman,

With regards to your recent purchase of your RI-5 Romantica I suggest you contact me off of line in order to sort out your problem.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man

Games Unlimited & Datex Systems
Units 4 & 5 Lion Park
New Street
Halfway
Sheffield
S20 3GH
0114 247 0242 phone
0114 251 0727 fax
alan-hood@datex.co.uk

filajab

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2011, 05:34:44 pm
« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2011, 12:24:27 am »
Hi, I'm hoping that AMI MAN can help me out with this.. I have a ROWE AMI jukebox that I bought for my home, it worked good for a while but then started skipping in the middle of songs, and now just says "out of order".  When you turn it off and then back on it will say check sum = c100, ram test passed and then will display "free" for a few minutes and will play music,usually skipping, but after a couple minutes will change over to "out of order" and wont work at all. when going into sevice mode it displays "errors exist"....after fiddling with it a little myself I am able to see through going to service mode/status/error history I get an error of "A ERR 05-63 01" sometimes the last two numbers are different but I believe that is just a count of how many times that error occurred... I am able to clear errors and have the machine display "service mode" when switched to service mode instead of "errors exist"... I can then play music but only for a short period of time then the song cuts out and eventually just stops playing all together.  Please if anyone knows what I can do to fix this issue I could really use some help... I have already paid a man $100 just to come to my house and basically tell me to clean the cd's and its probably because my hardware is old... I really love my jukebox and wish it would work again so I can enjoy it again. Help!

-Jessica

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2011, 08:38:32 am »
Hello Jessica,

Do you have a manual for the jukebox? if not I suugest that you get one.
You need to clear all the old errors, some errors stop the jukebox from playing other errors when the jukebox is switched off will let the jukebox go back into operation.

The error codes you talk about relate to communication between the CCC and the Mechanism Contol unit, you may have dry joints (cold joints in the USA) to the connection pins on the boards or on the power regulators on the decoder.

to clear errors from memory do the following:-

1. Enter SERVICE mode (shows ERRORS EXIST)
2. Press 8. (shows STATUS)
3. Press 1. (shows CLEAR ERRORS)
4. Press POPULAR. (shows CLEAR ERRORS it will blink and then reappear)

Switch sevice switch off and try to play a number of sellections.

Rgards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

filajab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2011, 12:12:35 am »
Alan,
     Thank you for your reply, I do have a manual for this jukebox.  I have cleared the errors before, and it will work for a short period of time after doing so, generally it doesnt get through one song before cutting out. Once it stops playing it continues to display "free" but will no longer play even if you put in a new selection.  Also every couple of minutes it says "check sum = c100", "ram test passed"  and then eventually just switches over to "out of order". When entering service mode after this happens and going to error history i get error codes of 05-63-05 from that error code i pressed reset 9(toggle/next) and it says "start21 57 11/02", reset 9 again then brings me to "end 00 00 00/00" I dont know what those mean.
     the "cold joints" problem you spoke of, is that something that can be fixed?
thank you for your time
Jessica.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2011, 11:19:28 am »
Hello Jessica,

I assume that you are in the USA, if that is the case I suggest that you get in touch with Bruce Wentworth in the USA. He can test/repair your CCC and Mechanism Control Board.

Just search on google for Bruce Wentworth Jukebox.

Regards
Alan

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

filajab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: August 02, 2011, 05:34:44 pm »
thank you for your help!

sarge74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2012, 06:16:43 pm
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2012, 04:11:02 pm »
Hey Alan,

I have a Rowe-Ami R-91 showing error code 1. When I reset the codes and put the service switch back to on it immediately throws the code again. Any help?

Thanks Steve

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2012, 06:52:27 am »
Hi Steve,

The error code 1 on the R-89 to R-94 CCC can be down to static discharge or a low battery.

You need to check out the battery voltage on the CCC battery B1 without any power to the jukebox. the battery voltage should be 3 volts.
Replace the battery if lower than 3 volts. Put the jukebox into Service and enter into programing mode, if the factory settings are ok push POPULAR key, key 2, key 5 and the POPULAR again.
Swith off and put back into service. you may have to clear the error log.
If the CCC returns back into the programing mode without putting in a code you will have to replace the CCC.

Regards

Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

kestrel165

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2016, 08:09:30 am
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2012, 03:35:45 am »
Hi Alan
I have ongoing amp problems on a r91, no sound out. Looking into it I have replaced 2 blown output transistors which hasn't cured it. I have just checked the Z1 diodes on the heatsink and these look to be blown, can I test these as a normal diode with forward and reverse checks using a DMM?
book says they are STB 568's can't find these in the UK on the net is there a modern equivalent?
Thanks
Ron

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: February 13, 2012, 05:01:44 am »
Hello Ron,

You have been on this fault for some time, changing transistors altering bias etc.

I think you now need to send this into someone for a professional repair.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

kestrel165

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2016, 08:09:30 am
« Reply #151 on: February 13, 2012, 06:54:13 am »
Hi Alan
Amp problem is now sorted, the Voltage regulator change on the pre-amp board sorted it out. Strangely I found through the manual wiring that the common recommended to use for the volume control (which is attached to a terminal on the amp compartment cover) is connected eventually to common through the mute plug on the amp. This means that if you are chasing a no sound problem and disconnect the plug to make sure the mute circuit isn't causing your issue then you lose the volume control, don't know why they didn't pick up a differnt common for the vol control. Anyway all is now working, it was a combination of 2 blown output transistors and s defective VR on the pre-amp board. Thanks for your help, it makes a big difference knowing that there is someone of your experience to turn to.

Regards
Ron

tjw44

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2012, 03:11:01 am
« Reply #152 on: February 13, 2012, 02:10:59 pm »
Hi to all , just found out about this forum from the ami man as I had a Rowe r15 Romantica jukebox for sale on eBay and Alan gave us some info on it I sold it but the buyer has rung to say it's making a screeching sound I wondered if any one else has had the same problem so I can tell him what the problem could be ,will appreciate any help on the matter Regards to all .

whymejake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2012, 02:25:29 pm
« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2012, 01:42:21 pm »
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and need a little help on my AMI R92.  The lamp controller assy 40821201 seems to have the three output transistors blown, they measure shorted with an ohmmeter.  Does anyone know what a part number would be for a replacement?  They are marked 1S28S.  All my lights are on no matter where the switch is at.  I think they all got blown because there are bad solder joints on the input AC power plug. Also the phono cartridge is bad, only one side works.  It is an M44-7 Shure, is there a better replacement?  Thanks for any help you can give.   

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2012, 05:52:57 am »
Hello whymejake,

Sorry you did not give your name,

The M44-7 cartridge is the best one for the job and nearest you will get to the original M44C, I would swop round the phono input to see if the problem is with the amp rather than the cartridge (it is rare that these go).

There is a lamp controller on Ebay but it is listed as a controller for a Rock Ola, it is for auction in the UK (the seller is listed as 1942jrc)

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

whymejake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2012, 09:53:37 am »
Hello whymejake,

The M44-7 cartridge is the best one for the job and nearest you will get to the original M44C, I would swop round the phono input to see if the problem is with the amp rather than the cartridge (it is rare that these go).

There is a lamp controller on Ebay but it is listed as a controller for a Rock Ola, it is for auction in the UK (the seller is listed as 1942jrc)

Regards
Alan Hood

Alan,

Thanks for the information.  I did swap the connector and then I would get the other speaker to work.  I ohmed the wires from the amp all the way to the cartridge and they were good.  Ohming out the cartridge was kind of hit and miss, sometimes I could get continuity and then not.  A local dealer says he has an M51 that should work but he can't find a cross reference for those transistors.  I am an electronic tech so I know what I am doing.  I would prefer to replace the 3 bad transistors if anyone can tell me what the real world number is for them.  Thanks,

Alan Berends
ami-man
UK

andyhumbug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2012, 10:39:29 am
« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2012, 02:05:16 pm »
Rowe Ami R86 problems.

Hello all.  I've just discovered this forum and hope someone can help me.

I've got a R87 Jukebox and that is fine.  It's been ultra reliable for years now apart from the odd turntable mech failing.

What my problem is, I've just got hold of a R86 jukebox that appears to be complete with the exception of the central control computer and the turntable mech missing.  So I plugged in a spare working mech that I happened to have and fitted the ccc off my R87.  The box fires up fine, all the lights working etc.  When I select a record, that inputs fine, the carousel turns and turns and turns and turns!  It won't stop turning and select the record.  Anybody pin point me to what may be the problem here?

Thanks.

Andy

ami-man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2012, 05:41:54 am »
Hi Andy,

Is there a opto switch on the mechanism/carousel and if there is has you see that the index led is pulsating as it goes past each record slot? in addition the home led must flash at the home position of 99.

When ever you change a mechanism control board or CCC you should check the opto switch adjustments.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

andyhumbug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2012, 10:39:29 am
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2012, 10:39:29 am »
Alan

Thanks for your reply.  There is an index led on the mech and this does not pulsate.  It works fine on the R87 though and the home led flashes at 99 on this too.  Where will I find the opto switch?  I suppose it's possible that it's missing?

whymejake

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2012, 08:07:54 pm »
Hello whymejake,

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Alan,

I fixed my problem.  It turned out the 1N4004 diodes which were tied across the SCR's were the problem.  All three were shorted possibly because the input jack had cold solder joints which I also repaired.  Put the board back in and it flashes just fine, either with the music or with the constant flash.

My Phono cartridge is also good.  After you said they hardly ever fail, I decided to clean up the connections even though they didn't look bad.  Put it back in and it works perfectly.  Now all I need is some new bulbs which I have ordered.  I just guessed that the 120v would be brighter than the 130v and am hoping for the best.  Thanks for your patience and your help.  Now if I can get my labeling program working, I will have it made.

Alan Berends