Main > Main Forum

Which would be easier for amateur :)

(1/3) > >>

Damon:
Hi everybody...got a couple questions.

First, I'm building a mame cabinet which I also hope to play newer computer games as well as my playstation.  I'm wondering what would be the easier way to go for an amateur who has never done anything like this before...create a switch to play both the computer and the playstation with the same controls, or just stick with the computer and emulate my playstation games?

Second, for this type of setup, can I go with something like IPac or would I need to do a gamepad hack?  And if I need to hack a gamepad, should I go with a pc gamepad or playstation?  

And lastly...lol...how does an novice hook up a Happs trackball if I'm using gamepad hacks?  How many buttons can I use if I hack two playstation controls?  

Sorry about all the questions.  I know some of these have been covered before, but I can't find them.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!  

twist:
1. You probably should use a computer and emulate the PSX games (It's easier). You can download the emulator, and either use your CD's or get ISOs for it.

2. I think, not 100% sure, but I think you need to do a gamepad hack. Also, I think it would be a PC controller.

3. Sorry, I'm not sure about this one.

Gorre:
My cabinet is setup like this :
- TV
- PC
- Playstation

Originally I used an I-Pac and Opti-Pac to hook up my CP's.

Afterwards I decided I wanted my PSX also in the cabinet so I bought two cheap PSX-pads and two PSX - PC USB adapters. Depending on if I'm playing with pc or PSX I plug in the cable of the CP into the PSX or the adapters.

(The I-Pac and Opti-Pac I will use in my second cabinet)

There is one super advantage for the I-Pac and Opti-Pac they are so easy to hook up (with gamepads you need to solder)

So...
If you decide for the PSX hookup
- PSX pads (Do not use Sony they are very hard to hack)
- PSX --> PC USB Adapters
- TV (easiest and cheapest setup)
- You can hook-up 10 buttons + 1 joystick per PSX-pad

If you decide to emulate PSX on your PC
- Buy an I-Pac (Superb device)

For the trackball
- Happs and Suzo trackballs : buy an Opti-Pac (easiest solution)
- Trackballs for Kids (they are hooked up with USB or Serial port or PS2)

Howard_Casto:
For the record why is everyone suddenly wanting to put a psx in thier setup?  

I mean a while back it made sense as alot of the capcom fighters weren't emulated yet, but now I'm stumped.  I don't know of that many good, unemulated, arcade games on the psx.  Now the dreamcast I can see as it has alot of unemulated arcade ports on it but other consoles stump me.  

I still stand by my opinion that modern console games aren't meant to be played on arcade controls too.  If anyone can clue me in on this please let me know.  

Lilwolf:
I would consider what you really want going.  PS or PC.

If going PC (as the first to hack), just make sure you can hotswap the controlpanel.  IE, all joysticks/buttons go to some kind of connector (like 25pin serial cable ends).  

then you can hack your PS later to go into the same cable.  

Make sure to go svid TV since I think it's the best solution for the PC anyway, and the only real one for PS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version