Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Which would be easier for amateur :)  (Read 4903 times)

Damon

• Trade Count: (0)
Which would be easier for amateur :)
« on: June 28, 2002, 05:29:28 am »
Hi everybody...got a couple questions.

First, I'm building a mame cabinet which I also hope to play newer computer games as well as my playstation.  I'm wondering what would be the easier way to go for an amateur who has never done anything like this before...create a switch to play both the computer and the playstation with the same controls, or just stick with the computer and emulate my playstation games?

Second, for this type of setup, can I go with something like IPac or would I need to do a gamepad hack?  And if I need to hack a gamepad, should I go with a pc gamepad or playstation?  

And lastly...lol...how does an novice hook up a Happs trackball if I'm using gamepad hacks?  How many buttons can I use if I hack two playstation controls?  

Sorry about all the questions.  I know some of these have been covered before, but I can't find them.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

twist

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2002, 04:03:20 pm
Re: Which would be easier for amateur :)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2002, 05:48:42 am »
1. You probably should use a computer and emulate the PSX games (It's easier). You can download the emulator, and either use your CD's or get ISOs for it.

2. I think, not 100% sure, but I think you need to do a gamepad hack. Also, I think it would be a PC controller.

3. Sorry, I'm not sure about this one.

Gorre

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2005, 07:18:15 am
  • Play it & Love it
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2002, 09:01:37 am »
My cabinet is setup like this :
- TV
- PC
- Playstation

Originally I used an I-Pac and Opti-Pac to hook up my CP's.

Afterwards I decided I wanted my PSX also in the cabinet so I bought two cheap PSX-pads and two PSX - PC USB adapters. Depending on if I'm playing with pc or PSX I plug in the cable of the CP into the PSX or the adapters.

(The I-Pac and Opti-Pac I will use in my second cabinet)

There is one super advantage for the I-Pac and Opti-Pac they are so easy to hook up (with gamepads you need to solder)

So...
If you decide for the PSX hookup
- PSX pads (Do not use Sony they are very hard to hack)
- PSX --> PC USB Adapters
- TV (easiest and cheapest setup)
- You can hook-up 10 buttons + 1 joystick per PSX-pad

If you decide to emulate PSX on your PC
- Buy an I-Pac (Superb device)

For the trackball
- Happs and Suzo trackballs : buy an Opti-Pac (easiest solution)
- Trackballs for Kids (they are hooked up with USB or Serial port or PS2)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2002, 10:34:12 am »
For the record why is everyone suddenly wanting to put a psx in thier setup?  

I mean a while back it made sense as alot of the capcom fighters weren't emulated yet, but now I'm stumped.  I don't know of that many good, unemulated, arcade games on the psx.  Now the dreamcast I can see as it has alot of unemulated arcade ports on it but other consoles stump me.  

I still stand by my opinion that modern console games aren't meant to be played on arcade controls too.  If anyone can clue me in on this please let me know.  

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2002, 10:39:27 am »
I would consider what you really want going.  PS or PC.

If going PC (as the first to hack), just make sure you can hotswap the controlpanel.  IE, all joysticks/buttons go to some kind of connector (like 25pin serial cable ends).  

then you can hack your PS later to go into the same cable.  

Make sure to go svid TV since I think it's the best solution for the PC anyway, and the only real one for PS.

Gorre

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2005, 07:18:15 am
  • Play it & Love it
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2002, 02:32:47 pm »
Just for the record.

I have a PSX laying around and this way I still use it.

Games like Crash Bandicoot, Abe's Odysee (basically platform games), Kula world, ... are great to play on a cabinet (they don't require all the buttons).
You can compare these with many of the Neogeo games.

And ... there are classics available for PSX like Bubble Bobble, Space Invaders, Missile Commander, ...
but I'll be honest I play the mame version of these classics.

(If I had a dreamcast I would put that one in too)

Whatever the game is, if I play it on my cabinet it feels like I'm back at the penny arcade.

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2002, 03:12:05 pm »
my personal opinon on your situation...

if you're ok with soldering... I guess you should go with hacking a psx pad.... then buy a couple of those psx to usb converters.... then you don't need to buy IPAC for pc and then re-hack the pad for psx....
(also... later on if you have things like N64, xbox, dreamcast, .... they all have psx to whatever adaptor... no need to re-hack also....)

if your current computer graphics card has s-video out... go with tv..... then all your consoles can use the tv easily.... whether to use a switch box or not depends on your budget.... no budget... leave a door or opening so that you can plug and unplug a few things... its not that hard..... I'm assuming you don't switch between consoles and pc everything 30 min.....   ;)

good thing about IPAC that hacking a pad cannot match is IPAC sends keystrokes... so, it can actually sends ESC, Enter, ... etc.  with gamepad hack... when running Mame in windows... you'll still need your keyboard and mouse.... (so... if you want 100% arcade feel... no keyboard drawers... EVERYTHING controls from control panel... then go for IPAC....)

but for me... I'm planning to make a sliding drawer for keyboard.... maybe I'll put a trackball as mouse and leave it on control panel.... (still deciding on that....)
although not 100% true arcade... but good enough for me....   ;D  ;D
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

CthulhuLuke2

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2002, 11:19:17 pm »
Umm.. this is CthulhuLuke, but IE 6.0 sux, so I'm cthulhuLuke2 as guest for now.
  Anyways, yeah, I wanted to do the same thing and I've only hacked one psx pad before.  It's real easy to do, it just takes time and the patience of knowing that the worse possible solder point that you think is going to work will pop off and you'll have to do it again.  I hate that.  Here's a diagram of what my control board looked like, this is a sketch, the final actually turned out easier if I put alllll the terminal strips on one side, I don't have any pictures of it until I get a new roll of film.  I highly suggest doing the PSX and I-Pac thing, then using PSX to Dreamcast convertors for your dreamcast if you have one, because being able to play PC, PSX, and Dreamcast is the best way to be.
  -good luck
    -CthulhuLuke

CthulhuLuke2

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2002, 11:27:34 pm »
haha, sorry, here's the diagram,
 http://www.geocities.com/cthulhuluke/wiringfn.gif
-cthulhuluke

Damon

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2002, 03:38:00 am »
Thanks everyone for all your help and insight...even on a topic that I'm sure you're all bored of by now.  *smile*  I really appreciate it.  I really like the IPac interfaces, from what I've read, so I think I'm leaning towards emulating my psx games.  Just worried how well they will will work on an emulator.  I've got epsxe, but I'm still not totally comfortable with the program.  And by the way...I totally agree that most console games aren't meant for the arcade setup, but it's so tempting to try it out.  I mean, so many games, especially on the psx, are split screen, and if the controls don't rely on analog signals, I think it would be really cool to try some of them out.  It's not like I'm using the whole cabinet just for psx...lol...far from it.  I've got 3300 MAME games to get through, first!  

Thanks again for your help.  Now to just find some cheap parts...in Australia, even.  *sigh*

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2002, 09:04:25 am »
OKAY DAMON,
LISTEN CAREFULLY>>>THERE ARE QUALITY ISSUES>>>i repeat...there are QUALITY ISSUES :o...i bought 3 different types..there wont be any problem with CONSOLES adaptor..such as dreamcast,x-box and such...but there are issues with PC USB onces....get these...they are known to work all good...

http://www.jsihardware.com/images/hardware/smartjoy/1.jpg

i have been using this one for over 2 years...no problem at all except you can either use analog or digital at a time...IN CASE YOU WANTED TO PLAY GAMES LIKE MEDAL OF HONOR PC>>>YOU CANT MAKE IT WORK 100% just like the playstation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.levelsix.com/images/products/playstation/PSXPC_Adapter.jpg

i just bought 2 of these..these are even BETTER...they work FLAWLESS..and you can issue all 16 buttons,plus 4 more inputs for the digital direction...and use analog all at the same time..i never use anything else to play my PC games...and It MIGHT ALSO WORK WITH A GUN too..i am going to get some light gun for psx to test out...also work with stearing wheels,dance pad.....for the dreamcast...get the once that have VMU slot...that way you dont have to have a regular pad hooked to port one with VMU to load games setting...also before you get one...POST HERE WHICH>>i will warn you which do the trick and which wont..i bought ONE PC usb before..it wont let me do street fighter moves...its like a 4 way converter of some sort..it was a ripp off for $20...so again they are quality issues..so get the $12 once..i think they are the best...from what i have tested...good luck...by the way..this idea is ORIGINALLY FROM ME I THINK ;D...