Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: TT2 review  (Read 3840 times)

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
TT2 review
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:14:23 am »
I saw Donkey_Kong did a review, including the wheel attachment, but I didn't want to tag on to his thread.

I've always been kind of disappointed with my original SS spinner. I love the feel of the weight, and it's spin - but the resolution just doesn't cut it. My old dell mouse has a greater resolution. So, last week I ordered a TT2. I ordered on Saturday, March 1st, it went out the following Monday, and I got it around Thurday or Friday. Good timing.

Instructions: pretty complete in description, as well as some figures for reference when connecting things up. There wasn't a lot on the mounting of the board except a caution to keep it free of anything metallic if let loose. I'll come back to this in the installation part.

Installation: the spinner, itself, was pretty easy. Tightening it down was a little difficult as there isn't much to grab onto, especially with the room afforded in a wire-infested CP. I ended up using two sets of plyers - one (carefully) on the spinner housing, and the other tightening the nut. An 'oh my gosh' after the fact: I suggest removing the top so you can push against top of th spinner housing underneath. The next part was the board. It's nice the mounting hardware is included. However, the holes in the board are diagonally across from one another, and one of them is only a half hole. (The board can slip in and out of it untill you get it tightened down.) The other thing is the tubular risers included. It all got a little much for me so I just used some adhesive velcro.

Performance: I had tried one of these before in someone's cabinet. They had the token top knob and that seemed to be heavy enough. I planned on using my SS top. I did try the stock top out, though, and it was hard to control, even with the sensitivity set way down in Tempest. I went to put my SS top on - and it didn't fit. I guess the SS shaft is slightly thinner. I went ahead and pushed a little (and it wouldn't go down all the way) to get it to sit so I could at least try it. This was better, but not as good as the one I'd tried with the token top. I realize now they might have had the resistance set a little on it. Still, it's a very nice difference. Of course, I had to change the sensitivity in games. Tempest I normally run at around 100. For the TT2, I had to bring it down to 36. Even so, I had to change my strategy in Tempest: especially on 'straight' levels, I was able to just hold the fire button down, and use less movement or just stay put in places and get the 'autofire' going. It took a little more concentration because I had to be more relaxed with my hand. And without a bottom weight it wouldn't spin endlessly so getting way around the other side of a shape or to the either end of a straight level was different. You have to move it there vs just spin/let go/stop. I don't have a wheel so I use my spinner for Pole Position. I normally run at 70 and had to adjust down to 11 (!) . The response is greater which means less sliding on hard turns but overall it's still a little tricky and something I'm getting used to.

Conclusions: a nice spinner. As has been mentioned by Randy, it's probably best with the token top knob for it's resistance effect. Either that or add an energy cylinder. Simply for mounting's sake, I wouldn't ask to redesign the board. But If I were anal about it, and I were the designer, I might rethink that part.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: TT2 review
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 12:10:03 pm »
Tempest I normally run at around 100. For the TT2, I had to bring it down to 36. Even so, I had to change my strategy in Tempest: especially on 'straight' levels, I was able to just hold the fire button down, and use less movement or just stay put in places and get the 'autofire' going. It took a little more concentration because I had to be more relaxed with my hand. And without a bottom weight it wouldn't spin endlessly so getting way around the other side of a shape or to the either end of a straight level was different. You have to move it there vs just spin/let go/stop.

If you are running Tempest at 36 with the TT2, you are running it at 6x the rate of the original game ;)  Try setting the sensitivity to 6 or 7 for a more realistic experience.  The TT2 is roughly 6x higher in resolution than what you are used to, so start by dividing all of your current settings by at least 6 and start from there.

Also, I want to emphasize a statement from the product description at the site:

If operation as a spinner is desired and a lightweight knob is to be used, it is strongly recommended that the optional Energy Storage Cylinder (ESC) is purchased.

The reason that the ESC is not included by default is that some use the TT2 specifically and primarily as a high res "paddle" control for games like Arkanoid.  These users do not benefit from the added momentum of the ESC at all (it can even be somewhat detrimental in that application.)  Also, it is not necessary if one purchases the TokenTop knob, as the knob has virtually the same rotational mass as the ESC.  For games like Tempest, where the momentum is advantageous, you definitely should use one or the other.

Shaft diameter:  Check to make sure that when you replaced the stock knob that the set screw did not gall the shaft.  If it is marked by the screw, then the size has changed enough to cause a problem with a close tolerance knob.  Use a diamond nail file or some fine emery cloth to clean up that area and your knob should slide right on.  Be careful not to over tighten the set screw to avoid that situation down the road.  The TokenTop knob uses a special non-galling screw to avoid this.

Mounting: the board is so tiny only one screw is really necessary to secure it.  The other is optional and included only for a little extra security.

Hopefully this info will help you to better use and enjoy your new TT2 controller.

RandyT
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 12:12:44 pm by RandyT »

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 12:59:12 pm »
If you are running Tempest at 36 with the TT2, you are running it at 6x the rate of the original game ;)  Try setting the sensitivity to 6 or 7 for a more realistic experience.  The TT2 is roughly 6x higher in resolution than what you are used to, so start by dividing all of your current settings by at least 6 and start from there.

I never liked the stock Tempest spinner and settings. That's why I didn't get an Oscar spinner a ways back. If a weight was added here I could probably turn it down some more, but not too much despite its high resolution because then it would be like a stock spinner.

The reason that the ESC is not included by default is that some use the TT2 specifically and primarily as a high res "paddle" control for games like Arkanoid.  These users do not benefit from the added momentum of the ESC at all (it can even be somewhat detrimental in that application.)  Also, it is not necessary if one purchases the TokenTop knob, as the knob has virtually the same rotational mass as the ESC.  For games like Tempest, where the momentum is advantageous, you definitely should use one or the other.

I know. I don't play arkanoid. But if I did, I'd put that kind of top on it.

Shaft diameter:  Check to make sure that when you replaced the stock knob that the set screw did not gall the shaft. 

I meant when I simply put the SS top over the shaft, it wouldn't go down. I fully removed the screws of both knobs before removing them from theirs shafts.

Mounting: the board is so tiny only one screw is really necessary to secure it.  The other is optional and included only for a little extra security.

Yeah, I probably should've just tried the inner hole and left it at that.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 04:06:30 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 02:28:06 pm »
I meant when I simply put the SS top over the shaft, it wouldn't go down. I fully removed the screws of both knobs before removing them from theirs shafts.

Interesting.  Have to say that it's the first time I heard of this.  I don't own one of those knobs, but am pretty sure I recall individuals stating that they were made for a standard .250" shaft  :dunno

In any case, if you pick up the shipping charges, I can ream the knob for you so it fits properly.

RandyT

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 06:01:57 pm »
Interesting.  Have to say that it's the first time I heard of this.  I don't own one of those knobs, but am pretty sure I recall individuals stating that they were made for a standard .250" shaft  :dunno

In any case, if you pick up the shipping charges, I can ream the knob for you so it fits properly.

RandyT

I thought so, too. Thanks. I'm thinking on what I want to do. FrancoB seems into doing special parts, and I was thinking of asking him about an SS-type. Or, I may just get a TT knob.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking