Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Covering the CP  (Read 3200 times)

DarkSoul1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2016, 05:17:29 am
  • Adelaide, Sth Oz
Covering the CP
« on: May 22, 2003, 09:39:01 pm »
Hi.  First post, be gentle.  Had a quick look but can't find the answer here.

I'm building/designing a cp for a cocktail cab.  Measurements are 40 cm wide x 20 cm deep with a front height of 7 cm and rear height of 10 cm (so it slopes down to the front slightly).

I want to put a clear plastic covering of some sort over the cp artwork.  Must be able to bend over the top of the cp to the front face (7cm hight one).  Will be a bit of a gentle curve rather than a hard near 90 degree corner at the front.

Advice/suggestions appreciated.  I live in Australia.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2003, 09:40:57 pm by DarkSoul1 »

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
Re:Covering the CP
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 01:32:02 am »
Well the 2 options off the top of my head are plexi and lexan. Both are a sort of plastic sold in sheets.

Plexi, however, cracks VERY easily when you try to drill it or cut it. There are tutorials somewhere on this site for using it.

The other option is lexan which is sort of a harder version of plexi. You can drill it, cut and it, and it's virtually bullet proof. You could probably hit it as hard as you wanted with a hammer and it wouldn't break. However, both can scratch easily.

Now neither of them bend easily unless they're very thin (and finding them that thin is kind of difficult).

Usually you'll find it in 1/8 inch thicknesses. It won't bend for anything by itself, but if you heat it you can bend it. Of course, I've never personally tried it so I don't know how hard it is but I know it can be done.  Maybe you can do it with a good hair dryer, but it probably takes a heat gun. I don't honestly know...

Hope I helped more than I hurt.

kspiff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2003, 04:12:57 am »
Don't remember where it was, but they seem to make Lexan in mil-thick sheets, too.. maybe it would be flexible enough..?
k-spiff

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2003, 05:15:15 am »
You can get a piece of black paper laminated and use some kind of adhesive.   If you plan on doing an overlay than you could kill 2 birds with one stone.  

DarkSoul1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2016, 05:17:29 am
  • Adelaide, Sth Oz
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2003, 06:57:33 am »
Thanks for the advice guys.  The unbendability of flexi and lexan was a problem.

The clear laminated with backing paper sounds an idea though it may "crinkle" on the inside of the curve.  Might just make up a dummy and see how it goes though.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2003, 12:34:42 pm »
My control panel is metal and has a curver in it. The covering that was on it when I got it was plexi. I'll admit it looked awful, but then again the guys would but it on don't give a ^&*% about their machines. It was cracked and stuff. The bend was there but it was crooked and ugly.

So when I did mine i only covered up to the edge of the curve and didn't cover the front - only the part with controls on it. It looks good, but I may consider doing the whole thing this next go around with it.

I'll tell you if the hair dryer works! (I wish I had that thin laminate...)

IIOIOOIOO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2003, 02:18:12 pm
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2003, 01:20:18 pm »
Usually, with the bendy plastics, you just throw them in the oven, with their paper sidings still on. Then take it out, form it, and allow to cool in place. Then pick it up and remove the paper coverings... enjoy!

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2003, 04:10:58 pm »
When I bought mine it came with a plastic covering, not paper.

Besides that, how long do you have to leave it in? and how do you handle it when it's hot like that?

(Sounds like a good idea, though.)

IIOIOOIOO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2003, 02:18:12 pm
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2003, 06:13:14 pm »
Just look it up online. I remember in middle-school tech class (which I TA'd for like all 3 years to avoid art etc) that we just used oven-mitts. Just keep checking it... it reaches a point where it's JUST pliable enough to manipulate, but not like.... gooey.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2003, 10:45:27 pm »
I saw a webpage on how to make a storm trooper costume out of plastic.  The directions said to put it in the oven to warm it up until you could put it on a form.

I just wonder what its going to do to the oven?  Are you supposed to leave the oven on for awhile, or is it safe to bake your cassarole afterwards?