Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New book owner :)  (Read 20800 times)

FauberOptic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2008, 07:50:36 pm
New book owner :)
« on: March 04, 2008, 08:47:24 am »
Hey everyone!
Been looking through the boards for a little over a month now and reading up on this and that on some ideas for a new project
just bought saints book too by the way to support the site as well as help me have everything i need in one guidline if i get stuck :)

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Re: New book owner :)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 08:50:45 am »
Hey everyone!
Been looking through the boards for a little over a month now and reading up on this and that on some ideas for a new project
just bought saints book too by the way to support the site as well as help me have everything i need in one guidline if i get stuck :)

Welcome!  You are definately on the right track.  Saint's book is a great place to start, and there are a lot of great ideas floating around the forums as well.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 08:56:34 am »
Hey everyone!

Thanks and welcome aboard! :)
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Si the Sigh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2010, 07:20:16 am
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 09:19:23 am »
I'm new as well, and I too have just bought the book. It came through the post this morning.

Got to say well done on the book, what I've read so far is great. Picking up the MDF to build the cabinet this evening and fingers crossed, the cab will be ready by the weekend. ;D

Ordered some other bit's and pieces for the control panel which I hope will be here by the weekend as well so I can crack on with the control panel. :cheers:

FauberOptic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2008, 07:50:36 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 09:52:16 am »
yea im still deciding on everything, i just cant make my mind up :)
luckily, i put my coworker ( who has a truck and the wood working skills) and my boss ( who has every tool known to man) into slave labor :P

Si the Sigh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2010, 07:20:16 am
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 10:03:31 am »
ha! That's exactly what I'm doing, roping loads of skilled and helpfull mates in to help... ;D

Nado

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2011, 10:40:57 am
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 08:41:28 pm »
I just placed my book order  ;D   It's a bit harder to get hold of in Australia, so i'm having it shipped from Amazon

now the waiting game  :hissy:

wilno45

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2017, 06:22:42 am
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 08:19:18 pm »
Hi

New here too.

The book is freaking awesome. Chapter 7 alone has answered so many questions....

Can't wait to start building.

:applaud:

BrianP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2020, 10:03:58 pm
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 03:24:40 pm »
I also have the book.  And I have started constuction and have almost completed.  I am trying to get the web page up so you can see what not to do (basically everything I did ;) )

EvilTwin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2011, 10:06:22 pm
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 12:12:12 am »
Hey everybody,

I've been lurking around the forums and just got Saint's book about a week ago. So far it's been a ton of help- I was thinking about doing it without it but it's been far easier to plan things with the book in hand rather than a dozen bookmarked threads (though this board is really helpful, too!)

ChurchOfSolipsism

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:43:39 pm
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 03:39:14 pm »
...and another lurker turned poster. A friend and I have been thinking about building a Japanese-style sit-down cab, and now that we've bought the brilliant Project Arcade book we're quite sure we're gonna/ we can do it.

A mighty Cheers! to Saint for writing one of the best books in existence!  :notworthy:

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 04:01:37 pm »
Thanks everyone and welcome aboard! :)

--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

petro62

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2010, 11:24:47 am
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 12:45:51 am »
I bought this book awhile back.  I don't remember exactly when, but I looked through it and was excited at the thought of building my own cabinet.  Sadly I set the book aside due to a combination of time, money, and just flat out not believing I could do it.  Well a few weeks back I was going through my Netflix movies and watched "The King of Kong".  This got me excited again to build a cabinet.  I pulled the book out again and also went looking for some games.  I still have some doubts about being able to do it, but I think the biggest issue I have so far is putting a plan together.  I hope by putting together a list of games that I MUST be able to play that will help decide the CP layout and really get things in motion.  The book has some great information in it and helped get me to this website as well.  I am hoping to either find plans or make some plans for a cabinet that can be taken apart and put back together pretty easily since I do have plans to move within the next year.

Thanks again for the great book and I can't wait to keep reading all the info on these forums.

Spyridon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2021, 02:47:05 pm
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2009, 03:14:33 pm »
I bought this book awhile back....   I still have some doubts about being able to do it, but I think the biggest issue I have so far is putting a plan together. 

That is the beauty of the book.  The plan is all laid out for you!  I had zero experience with power tools and was able to do it.  Here is my project (almost done) to give you some inspiration.  Is it perfect, no way, but it turned out pretty good.  Just follow the book and you will be fine.

I hope by putting together a list of games that I MUST be able to play that will help decide the CP layout and really get things in motion. 

I'd recommend going with the layout in the book.  It covers the majority of the games without getting into Frankenpanel territory.  There are games you can't play, but they really need dedicated setups to be done right.  However, that is just my opinion.  Go with whatever you want.  It is your build.  Have fun with it.

...and welcome!
My current collection:  Arkanoid^3, Asteroids Deluxe, Centipede, Donkey Kong w/DIIK, Frenzy w/Berzerk multi, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Mappy,  Missile Command, Multi-Williams, O'Boyles Arcade (Mame), Pac-man,  Sinistar, Star Wars, Tempest, War Gods

Ryglore

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 10:28:10 pm »
I just got the book today, after roughly a month of reading this site and looking around at ideas. Great book so far, easy to understand and it definitely has me hyped to continue planning and work on my own project! 

GuyDanger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2012, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 02:27:42 pm »
I have had a Killer Instinct Arcade cabinet sitting in my garage for almost 2 years now, I was planning on switching it over to a M.A.M.E cabinet. Thing is, life got in the way. I now have a beautiful 10 month old daughter  :) and things are great. I have just recently decided to reinvest into the change over of the cabinet. After some search, I found these forums and bought myself a Project Arcade book.

Wow, this book is great! I am excited all over again! All my questions were answered. Including ones I hadn't thought of yet. If you are seriously looking into building an arcade cabinet, this book is a must! I totally endorse and recommend it 100 percent.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 09:00:02 am by GuyDanger »

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 08:01:25 am »
Thanks for the kind words :)