Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Generating MaLa gamelists for non-MAME emulators 'RomDir2XML'  (Read 38703 times)

Spiderstyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2009, 03:49:46 pm
    • RomDir2XML - Tool to assist in creating MaLa gamelists for non-MAME emulators.
Generating MaLa gamelists for non-MAME emulators 'RomDir2XML'
« on: February 26, 2008, 11:33:12 pm »
Hi everybody,

Even though this is my very first post here, I'm lurking around for quite some time now. The reason I'm coming out of hiding the because I have something to share.

While I was building my Arcade Cabinet I came across MaLa and fell in love with this great Arcade Frontend immediatly. Setting it up for MAME was a breeze with it's build in support for the mame.xml file which holds all MAME rom information. It wasn't too long before I was scrolling through my list of MAME games and playing a few through the MaLa Frontend.

After that I added my other emulators (SNES, MSX, PCE, etc.) so they would run from MaLa too. I checked out the MaLa Gamelist Editor and added a few games for my newly added emulators. No sweat! Things were running great!

But then it came to me: I would have to add all games for my other emulators by hand. Autch! I'm a completionist and thus I wanted to have a list with ALL games for each emulator I was running and, as you might know, SNES alone has over 11.000 roms.

I asked my good friend Google to find me a way that wouldn't involve me adding 10.000's of games by hand and it came up with quite a few interesting places, but unfortunatly no solution to my "problem". After looking around for a bit more I came across a great program called ROMLister which can generate filtered gamelists by using MAME's XML file as input. One of the output formats was the "MaLa Gamelist".

That gave me an idea. What if I would code a little program that would generate a valid ROMLister input XML file from a directory of roms? Would that REALLY make my life easier? Well, not perse, but at least I wouldn't have to spend an insane amount of hours to add games through the MaLa Gamelist Editor by hand.

So I coded my little program and have been using it with succes for a few days now.

Seeing that I couldn't find a direct solution to the problem at hand on the internet, I assumed that other people might have stumbled upon the same problem too and might be interested in my program.

So, here it is. I named it RomDir2XML. ;-)
For the program and a little tutorial to get you up and running (errr.. playing) in no-time visit http://spiderstyle.arachno-media.com

I hope it'll be as much of use to you folks as it's for me.

With kind regards,
Spiderstyle
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 02:35:14 am by loadman »

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: Solution to generating MaLa gamelists for non-MAME emulators
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 02:53:16 am »
 ;D

Nice Tool.   :applaud:

rooter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2021, 01:31:15 pm
    • ShaunRoot.net
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 09:07:25 am »
Nice Tool.   :applaud:

That's what she said.

I will probably use this software though, thanks.  I don't know why my friends always ask for SNES games when I have a great MAME set up, but I guess I'll throw an emulator out there for them. 

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2017, 08:22:27 pm
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 11:02:21 am »
wow, this is really cool.  I spose if you had all your ROMs still named in TOSEC/goodTools standard, they'd all have the (J), [b1], [h1] etc tags in the filename, and you could even use RL to help filter out the garbage roms from your list... 

I like this very much, very much indeed.

I've added a link to your tutorial from the wiki here.

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/RL_tutorials

nice work!

-jeff!

Spiderstyle

• Offline Offline
    • RomDir2XML - Tool to assist in creating MaLa gamelists for non-MAME emulators.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 01:27:28 pm »
Great to see that people find it usefull.. :-)

Jeff, yes, RD2XML basicly derives the ROM names from the ROM file names in the directory you're pointing RD2XML at. So if the ROM file name is "Super Mario World (E) (V1.0) [h1C].smc", the ROM name would become "Super Mario World (E) (V1.0) [h1C]".

Now that I look at it, it ain't very pretty. ;D
Do you think it would be a good idea to have an option to remove these tags from the ROM names?

That would ofcourse give several other problems. Like ending up with 10 different ROMs with the same name in the MaLa game list for instance. Which reminds me, I think MaLa has an option somewhere in the option menu's that would allow you to hide these tags. Not 100% sure about that one though.

I know you probably have heard this 1000's of times, but you did an above excellent job with ROMLister. I use it very often and is an unmissable application for me and many others. :cheers:

p.s., thanks for the link on the wiki.

With kind regards,
Spiderstyle

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 02:04:36 pm »
Do you think it would be a good idea to have an option to remove these tags from the ROM names?

Funny you should mention that-I was just working on a stand alone app that imported a text file listing of roms and allowed you to bulk delete anything inside parenthesis, and it could certainly have it do square brackets too.  This was done for a user using MAMEwah, but the code is pretty much written and could be used anywhere.
That would ofcourse give several other problems. Like ending up with 10 different ROMs with the same name in the MaLa game list for instance.

Yeah, that's a bit of an issue.  I think you'd first want to keep the tags, since they are based off the filenames, then maybe use RL to filter the list down and create a batch file to move the wanted roms elsewhere, then maybe have something like the above mentioned application to remove the tags and then create a batch file to physically rename the files themselves, then run your app and have RL make a game list from that. 

Ok, that's a bit of a pain, but all the tools are there to do it, although I think that an app could be put together to throw all these applications under 1 roof...

Something that would allow you to scan a folder of ROMs (romdir2xml), filter the files (romlister), move the files somewhere (romlister batch file maker), strip out the tags (above mentioned tool) and rename the results (romlister batch file maker again) and finally create various game lists from the end product...

What was romdir2xml written in, and would you be up for some co-development to create such a beasty?

-jeff!

Spiderstyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:48:51 pm »
Hmmm.. I'm sure that could be done in fewer steps somehow..

Just thinking theoreticly here:

1. RD2XML to create an XML file of ROMS in a dir..
2. ROMLister to import the RD2XML XML file, filter the list down and export results back to the same XML file..
3. New application to strip the tags from the ROM names within the XML file. (Not sure if you would actually need to rename the ROM files themselves.)
4. ROMLister to load XML file with stripped tags and export to whatever is the desired end product..

So theoreticly you wouldn't have to move the actual ROM files around, unless I'm missing something..

Sure, that would be possible to do under one roof..

The only downside to RD2XML is that it basicly has no further information about the ROMS it's collecting from the directory it's pointed at. Meaning, all that it's dropping to the XML file is the ROM Name and ROM File Name, so I'm unsure what you would like to filter upon with ROMLister.

Nevertheless, it's always great to improve stuff, so hell yeah, I'd sure be up for some co-development.. :-)

RD2XML was coded in VB .Net..

With kind regards,
Spiderstyle

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 09:28:18 am »
yes.

You're correct that it could be done in less steps without renaming the rom itself, but that's only for a mala list, because mala has separate entries for display title and rom name in the output file.  other front ends use only a raw text list, so those would have to be renamed or the front end wouldn't be able to find the file.  That's still doable through the batch file interface, so not a show stopper.

I'm probably a little too swamped right now to begin such a task, but I always like having a few things tucked away to work on for a rainy day, so I'll back burner this idea for awhile.  sorry if anyone's hopes got up (aside from mine) about this, I just have to get some other things off the plate first.

I absolutely *love* this idea and will be hashing it out in my head for some time to come.

-jeff!

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 11:17:32 am »
I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but the MalaGamelist app allows you to remove that extraneous information from the names. I've only used it for mame so far, but I assume it is emulator agnostic.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

Minwah

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 12:36:26 pm »
One thing I would say is do not mess with romname's, make the rom 'description' nice looking for your frontend.

Good idea tho, there is a similar prog out there somewhere to do the same but output as a DAT file (can also be done in ClrMAMEPro).

Recently I made a small app to read a DAT file, remove the bracketed info from the end to get a 'nice' game description, and then bung this info into the 'manufacturer' section - this can be used for filtering. (Actually I did not change the game description as I can trim this info off in Mamewah, but you get the idea...).  The filtering part has proven to be very handy, although not a perfect solution to getting that illusive 'one version of each game' list.

Spiderstyle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 04:41:03 pm »
Quote from: NOP
You're correct that it could be done in less steps without renaming the rom itself, but that's only for a mala list, because mala has separate entries for display title and rom name in the output file.  other front ends use only a raw text list, so those would have to be renamed or the front end wouldn't be able to find the file.  That's still doable through the batch file interface, so not a show stopper.

I have no doubt that it'll be doable through some kind of batch, but I feel hesitant to go changing ROM Filenames for various reasons.  Which FE's are you referring to that use just a text list with the filenames?

I'd say that this would be a design flaw of the FE, and wouldn't warrant us changing ROM Filenames. No offense, but just how I personally feel. Changing ROM Filenames feels unethical and might give various problems in the future for the user.

Quote from: NOP
I'm probably a little too swamped right now to begin such a task, but I always like having a few things tucked away to work on for a rainy day, so I'll back burner this idea for awhile.  sorry if anyone's hopes got up (aside from mine) about this, I just have to get some other things off the plate first.

I absolutely *love* this idea and will be hashing it out in my head for some time to come.

I know exactly what you mean. :-) There's always something to do or something to finish up. :-)

I'll also play around with the idea in my head and see if I can come up with a workaround for the FE's that use a plain text list with ROM Filenames as ROM Names. Perhaps make batch files and use those as the ROM Names in the FE textfiles, while leaving the ROM Filenames intact.

Quote from: TheShanMan
I didn't see it mentioned in this thread, but the MalaGamelist app allows you to remove that extraneous information from the names. I've only used it for mame so far, but I assume it is emulator agnostic.

You're right. I thought I saw this somewhere and went back checking as well. There's indeed an option in the MaLa GameList application that allows you to remove those tags. And within MaLa itself, somewhere in the option menu's you can toggle a checkbox to hide these tags as well.

Quote from: Minwah
One thing I would say is do not mess with romname's, make the rom 'description' nice looking for your frontend.

I feel the same way. But apparently there are some FE's out there who just use a plain textfile with the ROM Filenames as the ROM Filenames AND the ROM Names within the FE Gamelist. Not sure which FE's these are, but personally I'd say this is a design flaw of the FE itself. Nevertheless, I'm sure a solution could be cooked up somehow.

With kind regards,
Spiderstyle

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 10:41:13 am »
I have no doubt that it'll be doable through some kind of batch, but I feel hesitant to go changing ROM Filenames for various reasons.  Which FE's are you referring to that use just a text list with the filenames?
well, I've only ever run mala before, so my experience is quite limited, but romlister has support for atomicFE, and when you build a game list there, it ends up being a plain ole text file that is the 8.3 filename of the ROM itself.  It very well may have a separate list that it keeps of the user friendly name, I don't know.  We were also talking console emulators here, and I have no experience with that other than running them on my xbox, so I might be scaring people while completely talking out ---my bottom---.

I'd say that this would be a design flaw of the FE, and wouldn't warrant us changing ROM Filenames. No offense, but just how I personally feel. Changing ROM Filenames feels unethical and might give various problems in the future for the user.
I agree 100%.

I'll also play around with the idea in my head and see if I can come up with a workaround for the FE's that use a plain text list with ROM Filenames as ROM Names. Perhaps make batch files and use those as the ROM Names in the FE textfiles, while leaving the ROM Filenames intact.
I like it. However, I think we shouldn't burn too many cycles on a solution that may not even have a problem, and as you say, it should be the FE's problem to fix.

-jeff!

loadman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 06:34:08 pm »
Here is a screenshot in case you can't find it.

This option just HIDES the extra data from display. It does not delete it so you can uncheck this box and the info will reappear.

:)

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2020, 10:15:48 am
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 09:26:18 am »
Hi, SpyderStyle and thanks for sharing the application.

I am trying to understand how it helps in case I am missing something.
Last night, I got around to add my non-MAME emulators and started with a SNES one.  I have a directory of 941 ROMs that I filtered down from a full GoodSNES set using the UnGoodMerge tool (took off all the hacks, alternate dumps, and non US versions).  I set up the emulator in MaLa and specifed that directory as the ROM directory.
I then hit OK and MaLa automatically generated the full gamelist including all of the 941 ROMs and I tested a few of them and worked just fine.

Unless I'm missing the point of your application, MaLa already does what you coded it for in the first place.  Where I see it being very useful is if you want to use ROMlister to create special filtered game lists althouth I'm not sure what you would filter for other than file names since I don't know of any catver.ini file for SNES games.

I'm not trying to bash your work but rather would like to understand further what it does.

Thanks.
"The Manuel"

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 09:45:03 am »
the way I pictured using this tool was to help if your roms were named with things like (J), [b1], [h1]  tags in the filename, then you could use romlister to generate a new list after you filter out useless roms like [bx]'s and such.

You essentially did the same work with your own filtering using ungoodmerge, so I can see why this didn't seem useful to you.  Most people are unaware of goodTools and the suite of programs that go with it-they just download a fullset of games and then want some way of filtering them.

TheManuel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2020, 10:15:48 am
  • On and off hobbyist
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 09:58:38 am »
Thanks.
The tool (romdir2xml) is still very useful.
Besides, I don't know if UnGoodMerge operates on a full set of already unmerged ROMs and that case, this tool would be doing something UnGoodMege doesn't.
"The Manuel"

UberEvil

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2009, 06:44:31 am
Re: GameLists: Generating MaLa gamelists for non-MAME emulators
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 07:04:05 pm »
Hi,

Awesome tool... probably... but I can't get it working :D I allready have working "All games.*"-lists but since I have nice no-intro sets I thought I'd use your nice app to filter for (USA), (Europe) and such. Creating the XML goes fine and opening and exporting from Romlister seems to go fine too and the lists displays in MaLa... BUT... no snapshots are displayed and the games won't start. The list also displays seemingly proper and identical to the MaLa generated list when viewed with MaLaGamelist.exe .

Looking very quickly at the generated list it's 106kB compared to 70kB for the All games list generated by MaLa. Viewing the files with a text editor is a mess, but one notable thing seems to be that my rom path (L:\MaLa\Roms\SMS) is present in the MaLa generated list, but not in the romdir2XML list.

I've attached a zip containing the XML-file, the working All games list generated by MaLa, the non-working romdir2XML list and two screenshots from withing MaLa.

Have I done something silly again (a bit tired :D )? Any fix?

Thanks a million

Stormrider

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 11:01:54 am
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 05:47:32 am »
That screensaver looks interesting. However, the problem with all these screensavers is that they don't know if my TV is in yoko or in tate mode. I have two sepparate game lists, one for horizontal games and one for vertical games. Having an integrate screensaver in MaLa would run only games in the current monitor orientation.

Henrik68000

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 12, 2010, 01:54:23 pm
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 12:40:19 pm »
Nice program.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 07:28:07 am by Henrik68000 »

illinifro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2018, 11:10:41 pm
Re: Generating MaLa gamelists for non-MAME emulators 'RomDir2XML'
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 02:26:53 pm »
I would like to be able to get this working, but it looks like the site is no longer available.  Does anyone have the walkthrough for this?  I would like to create MaLa gamelists for my nes, snes, and genesis games.  I know that Hyperspin has xml files with genre, can they be used with Romlister in some way? 

Sorry if this has been covered already, thanks for any help you guys can give!

MagicManPA

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2019, 04:35:43 pm
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 03:28:05 pm »
Guess this link will never be alive again :(

Draugr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2014, 02:24:24 am
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 09:57:09 am »
Does anyone have a copy of this file that they can post so we can get a copy of it? This program addresses the problem I am currently having with gamelists for systems other than MAME.

Thanks,
John

Vidiot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 10:00:17 am
  • John 3:16
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 10:46:30 am »
Does anyone have a copy of this file that they can post so we can get a copy of it? This program addresses the problem I am currently having with gamelists for systems other than MAME.

Thanks,
John

Bumping for the RomDir2XML program. Someone out there has to have it.

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 07:56:04 pm »
for what it's worth, I've attempted to duplicate romdir2xml inside of romlister.  Since I never had the original program (or I've lost it by now) I cannot be sure that it's the same thing, but what I've done does appear to work to create lists for several FEs for generic, non MAME ROM sets.

details here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,128409.msg1315643.html#msg1315643

kind of unofficially added to RL until I get some more feedback that it is working ok.

bmanbdaman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2018, 10:03:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 12:21:19 pm »
for what it's worth, I've attempted to duplicate romdir2xml inside of romlister.  Since I never had the original program (or I've lost it by now) I cannot be sure that it's the same thing, but what I've done does appear to work to create lists for several FEs for generic, non MAME ROM sets.

details here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,128409.msg1315643.html#msg1315643

kind of unofficially added to RL until I get some more feedback that it is working ok.
This works but leaves me empty of data (year/manuf). So I imported a (fixed for RL) HyperSpin xml to test and found out that your syntax for "minigames" did not match catver "mini-games" and gets missed. When I export to Mala gamelist I get "not used" entries when I have entries in the xml that cover gamelist data that the template supports. I have another thread open trying to figure out how to get emulator data into Mala like HS and GameEx. This gets me a step closer to creating (static) gamelists, but I need the genre/year/manuf/description/etc. in them as well.

Is there a reason the xml is malformed? needs RL header with odd bracket (]>) and no close xml at end (/romdir2xml).

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 02:55:33 pm »
This works but leaves me empty of data (year/manuf)
This is actually expected behavior.  ROMlister is used to using MAME's XML data to build your mala list.  When you are using the romdir2xml feature, there is no data other than the physical names of the files you're using as input. RL cannot fill in data that it doesn't have.

your syntax for "minigames" did not match catver "mini-games"
that's indeed a bug.  i'm surprised no one noticed that before.   Now fixed, although I am rolling in a bunch of other fixes, so the next release will likely be next month.  You can always adjust the text in the -find: window before hitting the Go! button to fix that.

Can you make your (fixed for RL) Hyperspin XML available to me so I can take a look and see where the disconnect is?  I'd also like to know where your other thread is so I can help there too if needed.

RL isn't used to having anything other than MAME's xml as input, so it is likely a keyword parsing issue. 
RL is not really an XML parser, so there is no concept of templates.

It does put a <romdir2xml> at the end of the file, but it appears the / is missing.  thanks for catching that.
I thought the "]>" was standard xml.  I took that from MAME's header.

To not clutter up this thread with more bug reports, please contact me directly- my email addy is on the romlister homepage.
thanks!

Clark_Kent

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2014, 04:51:06 am
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2013, 06:03:30 am »
I need the address of romlister's homepage...!
can't find it yet...!

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 08:40:05 pm »
http://www.waste.org/~winkles/ROMLister/

this is the first hit if you type "romlister" into google ya know.