Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: EX's Kitchen Cab (so has to match the kitchen!)  (Read 9678 times)

ex_directory

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2015, 08:54:20 am
  • The only game I ever completed... so far.
EX's Kitchen Cab (so has to match the kitchen!)
« on: February 26, 2008, 09:44:19 am »
I built my cab a while back but as soon as it could play Mame development stopped - abruptly ;) Then I added a keyboard and mouse and hooked it up the hi-fi and the cab got a lot of use as a jukebox and for surfing web. Meanwhile the cab was in the kitchen and I was getting some serious agro from the missus :angel: because to her it was unsightly :blah:

Only recently found this forum, doh! Would have saved me some time and mistakes I am sure - really great to see the cab building community is still so active, so many home page links are dead these days gives you a different feeling!

Being here has inspired me to complete the cab, so here goes.

Original design:
- Wanted it to be like the Double Dragon II cab, spent months playing that cab and always liked the sloping monitor with the high sides. Was also a fan of the simplicity of the Centipede cab, small control panel etc. Not being a wiz at wood work, opted to go for something in between the two. The pointy CP on the DDII cab would have been impossible to copy.
- Wanted to be able to swap in/out control panels with ease. Had ideas of steering wheel CP, joy plus trackball CP and two play joy CP.

What I have to work with:
- Got an old 21" Mac CRT from work, big enough to play vertical games.
- Got an old coin door from Ebay, had working S10 coin mechs and takes 20p and 20p tokens.
- Bought a new Creative 2.1, wanted a sub for Defender, also has the wired mouse for volume control which was perfect to integrate into the cab somewhere.
- Built a custom PC, nothing out of the ordinary, but poked one of the molex connectors out the back for power for the cab.
- Imported an Act Labs PC Gun, wanted to be able to play Time Crisis (PS simulation) and HOTD3 (PC version).

Time for new requirements:
- Has to be 50's style, (yes I know not in keeping with the arcade period but...) so I can get permission to keep the cab in the kitchen.
- Add some new features (TBD) while keeping it understated.
- Oh yeah, and finish the cab this time.

In reality, I built one CP, two player joys, and can't see myself doing the steering wheel version, also now contemplating putting in trackball but original design meant the CP is not that big (24" by about 6" deep) which I would change if I could go back. Probably making it 1-2 inches deeper.

Step 1: Choose a 50's design - see next post
Step 2: Prep cab parts, apply design
Step 3: Rebuild cab
Step 4: New control panel
Step 5: Can't think that far ahead

Ex
My kitchen cab is progressing here

ex_directory

• Offline Offline
Re: EX's Kitchen Cab (so has to match the kitchen!)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 10:05:11 am »
Step 1: Design

I am no artist so struggled here, spent ages looking around the web at retro sites looking for artwork. In the end put something together myself, some retro shapes and the word jukebox in 50's font which looked ok.

What became clear is that I needed an option to change the artwork at a later date, i.e. when the kitchen gets redecorated! I have already spent ages making sure my cab is configurable by having removing parts so why not removable artwork.

So my thinking was cover the whole thing in laminated self-adhesive vinyl, then add more self-adhesive vinyl on top of that for the artwork, which hopefully will peel off easily at a later date.

So all I needed was a base colour, started looking at colours we have in the kitchen, duck egg blue, praline, browns and then had an idea, how about a smeg fridge in cream, very fifties.

This could be the only original thing i do here with my cab, make it into a fridge! OK, so clearly a cabinet can't be a fridge but I am thinking stainless or aluminium parts on the cab and shiny cream all over. When I then finally come up with some artwork I can put this on the sides plus some subtle bits on the CP.

So I found a local printer, spent a while printing up swatches in various creams and after a bit of trial and effort settled on a cream colour of which I had 11 metres by 900mm made up on laminated self-adhesive vinyl. That's was one hell of a commitment so I needed to be sure the colour was right!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 10:15:47 am by ex_directory »

waveryder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2011, 04:26:17 am
  • I Troop, therefore I am
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 10:20:29 am »
The smeg fridge is more a psuedo fifties design. Have you thought of looking at 50's dinners for inspiration?
When pixelated clipart just wont do, just call for Betty

ex_directory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 10:23:43 am »
Step 2: Prep and apply

So this is where I am today, I have covered some panels with the vinyl already and it is coming up looking great, the laminate gives it the shiny finish which I hadn't really thought about but this is just like a laquered fridge!  :)

I started out thinking I would need a spray adhesive, but found this actually reacted with the adhesion on the vinyl and didn't give such a good 'stick'. So now just using the vinyl.

I spent ages prep-ing the MDF, one coat primer and a really good sand to make it as flat as possible. I am slightly stretching the vinyl around corners, over sides etc and onto the back of each panel.

With offcuts I have also added vinyl to the inside at the base as I seem to recall my coin door panel was more off than on in the early days.

:pics coming soon!

ex_directory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 10:27:55 am »
Hey waveryder,

To be fair, our kitchen is more psuedo fifties design as well. But your right!

I have spent ages on the 50's diner sites, and got a few ideas from there for the cab side art. Actually going to buy some bits for the kitchen to help finish that off too.

Since deciding on the base colour I decided to leave the sideart design this until later. I find it difficult to visualise what will look good and have a tendency to put off difficult jobs - like originally finishing the cab! Once I have the cab built I am hoping for more inspiration.

waveryder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2011, 04:26:17 am
  • I Troop, therefore I am
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 10:39:36 am »
I am a big fan of the era. The design work from the time is amazing in all its aspects. Looking forward to more pics, cant wait to see where this project goes.  8)
When pixelated clipart just wont do, just call for Betty

csa3d

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 12:13:08 pm »
Please figure out how to incorporate a keggarator (sp) into this build.. I think that's a must!
-csa

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 03:12:33 am
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 03:45:28 pm »
I want to see that vinyl in action, I refurbed a cabinet and covered it in vinyl. Can't wait to see what you do! :scared:pics :scared

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 04:32:48 pm »
The smeg fridge is more a psuedo fifties design. Have you thought of looking at 50's dinners for inspiration?

I thought you were joking. That is perhaps the worst real company name and product I've ever seen.  ;D

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 03:12:33 am
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 03:24:54 am »

I thought you were joking. That is perhaps the worst real company name and product I've ever seen.  ;D

Yeah they should have just bit the bullet and named it smeghead.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 05:36:10 am »
Is sounding good bud.

Where's those pictures you promised?  ;)

How about some pics of your kitchen too so we can see where it has to fit in?

blueznl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2019, 04:50:02 pm
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 05:29:11 am »
Why not get a broken fridge and rebuild it?

ex_directory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 10:09:19 am »
Been away for a few days and made no progress but reading some of the posts did make me laugh  ;D

Seems some of you have been watching too much Red Dwarf!

BTW, when I said I would make my cab into a fridge it was in jest, just thought I would clear that one up in case some of you were confused  ???

Now where is that smeggin camera...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 10:44:24 am by ex_directory »

ex_directory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 12:20:33 pm »
Found the smeggin camera...

First pic is just of a vinyl'd panel, the back as it happens. Does not really show the mirror finish it gives.

Second pic is of the inside bottom of the cab with the back installed. The base is still just primed. Get a better idea of the reflectiveness here. I didn't plan to do the inside but had just enough left over to do the inside at the bottom.

Close up view of the top, I am using an aluminium bar for the marquee holder.

You can also see I have left some overhang of the vinyl, this is because I want to fold the vinyl over and have the t-mold trap it down so there are no edges at all.

ex_directory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 12:38:37 pm »
It has been taking me ages to prep and vinyl every single panel hence no update for a while. Each panel is taking about 1-2 hours to vinyl and on top of that is the preparation time for filling holes etc. Last night finished the last prep of the sides after filling in all the screw holes and sanding them down.

This is the vinyl  had printed up, you can see how I made up each panel.

And here is the speaker panel primed, filled, sanded and ready for vinyling.

And this is it vinyl'd and installed in the cab.

Came up with quite a neat solution for the keyboard drawer, since my coin door panel/kick panel is removable I had nothing to hinge to but also didn't want anything visible from the sides so put some stainless rod into the sides of the panel and holes in the side of my cab, when installing the panel I just push out the rod into the cab and put something in the hole to stop it popping back out. I don't need to have it removable but that is just a benefit. To hold the keyboard panel up I am using a touch latch from screwfix.

And another view of that.

Also cut my control panel, here is a pic of the top half of the cab with it in place, glass installed with the bezel (the black has got to go now!)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 12:59:53 pm by ex_directory »

ex_directory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 12:38:59 pm »
BTW, here is a pic of the kitchen that I am matching the cab too, the base colour of the cab tones with the walls.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 12:53:22 pm by ex_directory »

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 04:07:35 pm »
Looking good bud  :)

You will have to let me know what primer you used, I cant remember what you said it was? Looks like you have done an awesome job with the vinyl  :cheers:

Im planning on folding my vinyl over too to hide it. After following one of Knievels threads I noticed he used a smoothing iron to help when folding the edges over. I should be getting one this week, if you can hang on that long I can pop it in the post and you can borrow it if you like.

ex_directory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 04:37:38 pm »
Looking good bud  :)

You will have to let me know what primer you used, I cant remember what you said it was? Looks like you have done an awesome job with the vinyl  :cheers:

Im planning on folding my vinyl over too to hide it. After following one of Knievels threads I noticed he used a smoothing iron to help when folding the edges over. I should be getting one this week, if you can hang on that long I can pop it in the post and you can borrow it if you like.

Dude, too late - I have no thumbs left!!

But seriously, thanks for the offer  :cheers:

I developed a knack (I had to, there was so many panels!) for bending the vinyl around the back and acheived really good results - in short you slightly stretch the vinyl around the corner and using your thumbs, push very hard on the corners to create a crease in the vinyl, this ensures you get no 'bubbling up' on the edges which was my main worry, I also allowed about 5 cms around the back of each panel on each side as obviously the edges is the weak part but with the extra 5 cms there is no way it is peeling back.

On the t-mold edges obviously you can't do this but you can still create the crease, if i need to I will use some glue or similar to get a good stick.

Primer is from screwfix, just their cheap unbranded stuff, but with one coat and a light sand it gives a great finish to vinyl to. I would seriously recommend priming to anyone, made the application of the vinyl a breeze, hardly any bubbles. I read here somewhere you should leave it for 24 hours after coating to 'gas off'. I left mine for about 4 days but that was because I had other jobs to do!

ex_directory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 04:39:53 am »
Step 3: Rebuild Cab

Finally the cab is all back together (well almost!)

The next big job after finishing the vinyl on all the panels was to attempt the sides. This was a big job as I had something like 30 screws on the sides that I had to fill, sand, fill again, sand again etc. And obviously once those screws dissapear it is not coming apart again. But anyway, confident that everything was ready to go back together for the final time I went ahead, see later for the small mistakes I made :o

I am REALLY pleased with the end result. Cab has just come alive and now wishing I had done this ages ago.

Was up till 2am two nights running, took about 4 hours per side which included final sanding, applying vinyl very slowly (2m by 1m), trimming vinyl overhand to about 1cm with lots of cuts to allow it to go around corners and finally applying the t-molding to trap it all down.

I know some are not fans of the chrome t-molding, but it sets off the cream vinyl beautifully. Sorry to say I don't have any shots mid-process applying the sides which is a shame but if anyone is interested let me know and I can explain in more detail, the tricky bit is the overhang without bubbling up on the edges.

Here is a close up of the top of the cab showing how the vinyl wraps under the t-molding. The t-molding plastic is still on - missus won't let me take it off until the cab is complete which is why it looks marked  :(

Click on the image for a larger view.

I have 10 domed allen key bolts on each side for access into the cab, namely for the marquee/marquee light (2 bolts), the speakers/fan/monitor from the back (4 bolts), the kick door (2 bolts) and the control panel (2 bolts).

The next image shows the top half of one side, you can see the bolt heads, this was after completion of one side. The fan panel is missing. The holes in the cab at the top are for the marquee light and volume control.

Click on the image for a larger view.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 05:10:12 am by ex_directory »

ex_directory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 05:08:25 am »
And here is a picture of the whole cab with one side done, missing bezel, cp, coin door and marquee. Click on the picture for a bigger view.

And so to the mistakes  :banghead:

The MDF is 18mm wide, t-molding comes in 11/16” = 17.462mm and 3/4" = 19.050mm. I opted for the sightly wider t-molding as I thought this would look better than the slightly narrower. I was right - good so far. Spot the obvious mistake with my removable panels!!

Well, in reality, it is not too bad, the chrome-t-molding is supple and so moves to allow the panels out without the t-molding popping out and given the amount I will be removing those panels - hardly ever, I can live with that.

However, there is one panel that will open almost daily - you got it, the keyboard drawer. Fortunately this is a removable panel (see earlier post), so I am off to order some more vinyl and will either make a new panel or try and remove the vinyl from the existing one and take 1mm off each side.

I also had installed castor feet with brakes on the front two. But in the past the kick panel has been mostly off and what I didn't realise is that when the kick board is on, the wheels don't spin freely as the brake part hits the kick panel. Anyway, quick hacksaw job on the plastic brake handle to make them half size and problem solved.

Apart from that I don't think there were any other mistakes, and no bubbling up either of the vinyl near the edges so am very happy  :applaud:

ablizno

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 15, 2011, 09:04:29 pm
  • [insert text here]
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2008, 01:24:50 am »
i think it looks nice... better than black... :cheers:

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 01:05:24 am
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2008, 03:56:08 am »
Good to see someone else using metric measurements :)

Just a suggestion, if you hammer in 3/4 lighter (don't press it in so hard) you should find it comes to 18mm and has no 'lip' for the drawers to catch on.

I guess it depends on the source of your T-molding... the stuff I sometimes use is very soft and is about 17mm when unpacked, and 'squishes' to 19.x mm if hammered in firmly.

ex_directory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2008, 08:12:56 am »
Just a suggestion, if you hammer in 3/4 lighter (don't press it in so hard) you should find it comes to 18mm and has no 'lip' for the drawers to catch on.

Good suggestion, thanks. I haven't changed the keyboard panel yet so may try easing it off slightly in that area, the vinyl should be well stuck now.

ex_directory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 09:00:53 am »
Time for some updates, had problems with the last camera I was using so am missing a few in between pics.  Don't ask :angry:

After finishing the other side I thought I would move on to the marquee (sorry no pic but looked similar to below). I had no thumbs left to do any more hard work and thought it would be fun to light up some marquee artwork  :)

Firstly the artwork, the customer requirements (missus  :angel: ) were going to be strict here, as you can see from below post this was the first bit of art going on the cab. I figured there were enough examples out there so I got her to sit in front of a few sites one night and tell me what she liked. Bear in mind we were aiming for fifties style and duck egg blue, cream, possibly brown or white colours to match the kitchen.

A few bits from different marquees made us a list but then we found this on Local Arcade and we knew it was already close to what we wanted. This was a huge bonus because creating new artwork is not something I am good at. However, copying it, or modifying it in Photoshop or Illustrator I can do all day long.

Thought about changing the wording slightly, arcader, etc but in the end stuck with arcades to keep it as close to the original as possible.

So I found the original .AI file and went to work in Illustrator modifying it to our needs. We liked the curves in the writing, something art deco about that. The straight perspective lines is very retro so it was a nice combination, change some colours and tweak a bit and we should be there.

I did post a question over on the main forum to see if anyone knew where the marquee came from as I would have been interested to see the other artwork but no one had any ideas, the thinking was that it was just from a generic cabinet, so I may be trying to keep to the original artwork that never made it to a cab but nevermind, at least trying to be true to the owner.

The finished result, removed 'Electronic', changed the colours, changed the perspective on the lines on the left, removed the extra top line, completly did a new S at the end so the sides were even.

I tried a few things to print this on,
- Tracing paper, did not really work as colours were not bright, however paper did give the desired effect of 'clouding' the back so you won't be able to see the backlight. Of course you can't print white so the white was actually tracing paper colour!
- Very thin vinyl, came up real bright and when backlit looked very good. But after a while the vinyl seems to stick to the glass, it is not stuck but it looks like it is if you know what i mean. Anyway, thought at first maybe damp or something, but no amount of cleaning did the trick.
- Paper, yet to try but expect this will do the job.

I had some toughened glass made up for the monitor glass and two pieces for the marquee. The idea being to sandwich a print between the two. This works fine, and looks great because it is real glass, only down side is that they put a little watermark in the bottom corner to say it is toughened - annoying :(

Pic of the glass, not that interesting but shows the mount for the light. I used a standard flourescent light, 18 inches long and removed the diffuser it came with to get as much light from it as possible. Added a mini rocker switch
on the back for separate control.

And so to a pic of the finished article. I managed to reduce the dpi to 72 just before I printed it, doh!, so up close does not look brilliant but will soon correct that when I print on paper. Will try and get a backlit photo.

Anyway, very pleased with the result and now gives something to work with for the rest of the artwork. In the words of Gordon Ramsey, "Marquee, done", well almost  :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 11:21:58 am by ex_directory »

ex_directory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 04:07:04 am »
Two more photos of the marquee...

Unlit

Lit

Photo doesn't do it justice, actually shines through the thin vinyl very well. If the paper works as well I will be pleased.

Franco B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 06:29:51 am »
Awesomeness :)  8)

I wasnt sure how well the marquee was going to work when you posted the first image but it looks really good on the cab, the colours deff are different. I suppose thats why you have to be so careful when getting things printed.

Looking forward to your next update ;)

ex_directory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 11:05:46 am »
Speakers

I bought a set of Creative Labs Dimension 2800 speakers a while back. It's a 2.1 speaker set which is good as I wanted the bass for Defender but the small satellites was also going to be better to work with.

Originally got both the light and speakers ideas from an site called The Story of a Cabinet Built in 24 Hours that has been around for a long time now.

Idea being to use the mini mouse (volume, bass control) on the outside of the cab.

On the back of the speaker panel I routed out the area for the speaker and removed the grill and stand so I could get a nice tight fit. The front is curved so this seemed to be the best way to keep it in place.

Next I bent an aluminium strip around the speakers to hold them down. Here is a pic of the two sats from behind.

On the fronts I wanted an authentic cab look, I cut a circular hole and 4 holes for some domed hex bolts. My father in law got some bezels made up for me and we also managed to source a sheet of metal grill. The bezels are made of aluminium so are not shiny. In fact we lightly grinded them to give them a brushed look.

And the two together.

I am very pleased with the results, came out as I had imagined :)

For the volume control decided to put this on the back at the top, not being confident at hacking I simply removed the top, put a longer thread in and mounted the mouse underneath the panel and the volume knob on top. This means I have no access to the bass control, but since I have always prefer to hear sound the way it was intended I left it in the neutral setting.

Am still in two minds to spray the volume control silver but you don't really see it from the kitchen. Next to the volume is the switch for the light. Reminder: Need to add a blank in to the second hole! It might just niggle me knowing I have some black left on the cab so it may have to be done :-\

This will control the speaker volume in the cab but I also plan to use my spinner to control the windows volume. I have seen some posts on the forum about this and I believe someone kindly wrote a tool to help to do this (when it's all hooked up of course)  :cheers:

I have a set of in-wall Speakercraft speakers which push out some really nice sound  8) One can be seen a couple of posts ago above the marquee. These are hooked up to my main amp in the lounge (Denon 2803 with multi-zone - great amp). So I wanted to have the PC also output sound to my main amp. Fortunately, the lounge and amp are just behind a wall to the left of the cab. So got myself some decent interconnect cable, channelled it through the wall and soldered on to one of these below which gave me a point in the kitchen to output sound too. To get something similar on the cab, i got some leviton snap in stuff (US product but sold by Lets Automate! in the UK)

Using the three socket housing and a bit of patient routing/chiseling was able to make a nice fit for this in the back of the cab. I used left/right phono straight through connectors and a network mod. Add this to the power socket already added and a vent and the back of my cab now looks like this.

With the remaining interconnect cable I made up a 1m interconnect to go from the cab to the wall. Got all my interconnect stuff from CPC and there is a good article about making your own cables up over on this forum.

Next problem which I am still not sure if I have solved as I have not connected it up yet is that I wanted to have my PC output to both cab speaker and my phono sockets on the back of the cab at the same time. That way if I had my zone 2 (Kitchen) on my amp switched on and or my cab speakers on I would get sound from those speakers without any extra configuration in XP.

For this I got a second hand Creative card (Audigy ZS) which after asking on AVS Forum does seem to output to both coaxial and analogue ports on the card at the same time. So my 2.1 speaker will be connected via the electrical (coaxial) connection and my amp via the 3.5mm analogue jack.

The alternative is using two sound cards, but most software including Mame I believe does not allow you to specify which device to playback sound on. Again there is a tool out there to switch the default device (which is the one apps will use when they startup until they shutdown) just before starting up an app which could do the same thing but I will probably just disable my on-board sound anyway. It will not be as good quality as my new card.

The up side is i just turn my amp/cab speakers on/off to listen to them. The only down side I can see is that you might want the jukebox playing sounds to the kitchen speakers while having Mame sounds routed to the cab, I don't see this as likely though in my case.

"Speakers, done!", well almost when they are hooked up and assuming the Audigy does work ;)

ex_directory

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 06:57:16 am »
Coin Door

I bought a coin door off ebay a while back. I wanted the old door as I remembered it as opposed to a new one, two slots, 10p coin rejector slot on a single panel. I found one but it was a bit beaten up, very grimey, ash stubbed out on it etc. Unfortunately I have no before pictures.

It was also missing some parts but swallow amusements was able to help me out there.

As I am avoiding black (apart from the monitor when it is off of course) on the cab, i took all the paint off the frame and coin reject flips. The outer edge did not look great, beaten up mild steel and was very dull so sprayed this using plasti-kote chrome spray from B&Q. Came up nice but at the moment any nick on it and it takes the spray paint away so I need to laquer it in some way to harden it off.

The rest of the coin door came up nice with some careful cleaning using a soft wire pad sanding in the direction of the existing brushed grain.

I got a new lock as the original was rusty and came with no key. I also had a coin box made to hook over the back of the frame. Will have to post a picture of that later.

Here are some pics of the door fitted in to the cab.

Up close (click here for a close up)

Further away

And the bottom half (with chrome t-molding in place).

As you can see from the above pic, I have tried to hide the red rejector buttons, they look great in the coin door but damn awful on my cab. What I need are some new faceplates making up but this is lower priority for now.

To remove the red for now I have printed up some overlays for the rejector and stuck it on with sticky back plastic then cut a whole for the coin slot. It does not look great but does do the job.

Here is the pic of the artwork I made.

When I got the door, it was marked as 10p and 20p slots. However, they were actually accepting 20p and 20p token. I have got the 20p token to accept a 20p every time but the 20p normal Is working maybe 1 in 3 so I think  I need to tweak the magnets.

Will post some behind the scenes pics next time.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 06:59:07 am by ex_directory »