Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Starting a TV like a monitor  (Read 1937 times)

Genjuro666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2009, 09:08:41 am
Starting a TV like a monitor
« on: February 23, 2008, 12:54:46 pm »
I've really did my research but I didn't found any solution for that.
What i need is that my TV (with scart) acts just like a PC monitor.
I mean it should automatic turn on as I start the PC and should automatic turn off as I shutdown via mamewah.

Is this possible with a TV ?
Are you alive or just breathing ?

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
Re: Starting a TV like a monitor
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 12:58:29 pm »
Check out smartstrips.
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Genjuro666

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 02:29:55 pm »
Hmmm... I think a smartstrip wouldn't really be a good solution for that. What it does is shut it completely down while it's on isn't it ? I mean it should only go to standby or else it won't take long and the TV will be damaged. And furthermore I don't think it would be turned on automatic. So far I could only do this manual with the remote control or if I pushed the  PR-> button on the front panel.

Hopeless.. :-\

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 05:53:58 pm »
I don't know, alot guys use them. Unplugging it and using the remote to shut it off is the same thing on my TV's. I've never heard of a TV going into standby. I will say tho that when some TV's power back on they go to the last channel or input device and some don't. There have been hundreds of threads on this subject in one form or anther around here.
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Genjuro666

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 06:15:22 pm »
It seems that maybe I'll have luck. I can replace my TV for another that will always turn on by it self if it gets power.
But it starts always with the channel mode. It starts on the last channel I've used except on AV where the PC picture is. (trough SCART)  It's a little weird because it can switch to AV by it self if the DVDplayer or the XBOX is on but not with the signal that comes from my PC.   Let's say I can solve this somehow. There is still one thing that bothers me. Until now I always thought that cutting the power off while the TV is on can reduce it's lifespan. Is this true ? Please let me know your experience about this.

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 06:33:20 pm »
Well, I haven't a ton of experience but I've never heard of that before. PM/contact member qrz. That dude knows all when it comes to this. I think he was actually in the "field" or still is.
-HarumaN

Genjuro666

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 05:45:25 am »

I'll use my S-VIDEO TV-OUT whit a high end (was really expensive) S-VIDEO cable and a SCART adapter. So far the picture is black and white but I've read that if you link pin15 and pin20 together you may see colors.
As I've read in slaphead's thread you can force the TV to switch to AV with 12V to Pin8. I may give it a try today.
UPDATE--> It works ! :laugh: <--UPDATE
I know it must be a way because my XBOX and DVDplayer can force the TV to switch to AV too.
I'm curios how those Digiboxes work. They not only force the TV to switch to AV but they can turn the TV on.
Of course only from standby mode.

The best goal (only a dream) would be to turn the TV on (from standby) like the Digibox as the PC starts, and 
let the TV turn OFF by it self as the PC was shutdown. Because that's what it does right now. It turns Off automatic after 5 min by default if it gets no signal. If I could somehow reduce this time it would be a great success. And in that case I would not have to worry about a smasrtsrtip for the European standart.
But right now I have no idea how to reduce that 5 min because I can't find any service mode code for the TV  :-\(21" BEKO CRT)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:41:14 am by Genjuro666 »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 04:56:26 pm »
Hmmm... I think a smartstrip wouldn't really be a good solution for that. What it does is shut it completely down while it's on isn't it ? I mean it should only go to standby or else it won't take long and the TV will be damaged.
Sigh...the burden of youth. Once there was a time that TV's didn't HAVE a standby, and we switched it off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on.....

What I'm trying to say. There is NO problem in completely switching off a TV. In fact, never switching it off is far worse because the screen will never get properly degaussed. And it waistes energy.

For the rest of the story: You should use RGB while you are using SCART anyway.

Genjuro666

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 05:33:54 pm »
Thank you for killing my fear of damaging the TV like the way I plan to do it.  :D
And yes I belive you that VGA to SCART has a better PQ than S-VIDEO to SCART (adapter)
but I really could not find any working way to get to the service mode and I just can't accept overscan.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 06:27:30 pm »
Thank you for killing my fear of damaging the TV like the way I plan to do it.  :D
And yes I belive you that VGA to SCART has a better PQ than S-VIDEO to SCART (adapter)
but I really could not find any working way to get to the service mode and I just can't accept overscan.
You're running in 15 Khz right ?

Genjuro666

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 06:43:14 pm »
No. I'm not using an (Arcade)VGA to SCART.
Only a simple TV-OUT. It's S-VIDEO + a SCART adapter.

I've only read about overscan and as I wrote I could not do much against it so I won't try it.