Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: FYI: Linux and ATI TV-out support...  (Read 4274 times)

bleargh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 12:21:14 pm
  • ribbit...
FYI: Linux and ATI TV-out support...
« on: February 22, 2008, 02:04:31 pm »
I bumped into this myself recently so thought that I'd put a post out to let others know...

Historically, ATI has always had crappy (if any) TV-out support on Linux.  Thus, any time I'd put a box together that needed to pump output to a TV, I'd been putting nVidia boards into them.

After reading a release announcement for the Xorg Radeon drivers this last week, though, I pulled out one of my old ATI boards and dropped it into my MAME cabinet.  S-video output worked like a charm.  A far cry from last time I tried the board (~3yrs back) when the TV-out support was basically nonexistent (I was aware of the Gatos project, but could never get it working on my ATI board).

And, pleasantly enough, the ATI board (Radeon 7500) gave superior S-video output than the nVidia board (MX/400) I was using.  :D

Thought I'd let others know; if you've got a Linux box and are trying to pump output to TV, we've finally got some choices for what video card you want to drop into it.

metahacker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2024, 03:09:39 am
Re: FYI: Linux and ATI TV-out support...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 12:06:55 pm »
i thought i'd add that the stuff in the new ATI X server supporting HW 3D accel ... for cards like the 2600 HD PRO (i.e. with Compiz) ... seemed to have some really nice fine tuned control of video output including TV Out ... so , something worth investigating as well.