Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: will a Cap kit fix this? Sanyo 20-EZ Monitor. CAP KIT DONE, How to fine tune?  (Read 6142 times)

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial

Whatever I do the I can't get an Image on the left 2" or so.  I have to crush the v/size to get the whole image on.

I overexposed the photo so you can see the entire monitor. I can get the image to fill all the way out to the right but it crops or wraps around on the left so much it's unplayable

And it intermittently goes crazy with the colors so I get Psychedelic Donkey Kong

so... Will a Cap kit fix these issues?
and could some one explain in noob terms what is actually happening when you replace the capacitors that fixes this?

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:25:08 pm by Bender »

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: will a Cap kit fix this? Donkey Kong Sanyo 20-EZ Monitor **PICS**
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 01:47:30 am »
Classic symptom of bad capacitors.

qrz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2015, 03:04:15 pm
  • wrangling electrons since 1978
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 09:43:19 am »
a capacitor is a storage oriented device . this storage capacity is measured in FARADS. named as such for a guy named FARADAY. unitil the last 10 years , farad capacitors ( in a single package) were a dream
most electrolytic capacitors are measured in MICRO-farads ( example : 100 uF ) or .0001 Farad.
a capacitor is composed of two conductive plates seperated by an insulating medium.

the cause of ur problem is value changes in various 'lytic caps .  over time and exposure to high operating temperatures , the electrolytic fluid is lost and the storage capacity drops .
a cap used in power supply fitering could be viewed as a "pour and store" device.   pending the outflow rate (current), the bucket can absorb and smooth flutuations of input.
as signal coupling , a cap will block dc but, pass ac.   again, changes in the insulator or plates will affect signal
passage....
 an increase of "effective series resistance" accompanies the loss of electrolyte , and will restrict signal
passage/ filtering ability  .
ESR is the same as putting a resistor in series with your cap. ( think RC time constants--i.e. timing circuits)

adequate explanation ?????

qrz

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 09:52:56 am »

qrz
[/quote]

adequate explanation ?????

qrz
Thanks for the info,

So basically over time and use the material in the capacitor breaks down or dissipates reducing the effective functionality of the capacitor?
so the monitor not being able to show an image over the entire screen is a result of a/some capacitor/s not having there full capacity?

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 12:03:31 pm »
Electrolytic capacitors, unlike fine wine, do not get better with age. Electrolytic capacitors will go bad just sitting there whether they are being used or not. Generally, heat is the worst offender at killing capacitors. Of course hooking up a polarized electrolytic capacitor backwards will cause it to blow up!

Most arcade game video monitors have between 15 to 25 electrolytic capacitors. Usually it's not just one that's gone/going bad, it's more than one. That's why it's wise to install a "get well" or "capkit" in your monitor.

qrz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2015, 03:04:15 pm
  • wrangling electrons since 1978
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 01:31:36 pm »
Electrolytic capacitors, unlike fine wine, do not get better with age. Electrolytic capacitors will go bad just sitting there whether they are being used or not. Generally, heat is the worst offender at killing capacitors. Of course hooking up a polarized electrolytic capacitor backwards will cause it to blow up!

Most arcade game video monitors have between 15 to 25 electrolytic capacitors. Usually it's not just one that's gone/going bad, it's more than one. That's why it's wise to install a "get well" or "capkit" in your monitor.

thats why i usually test a new cap before installation.  a few times over the years,  the replacement had higher esr than the defective one  :( as you know,  environmental conditions of the storage area can affect shelf life ....

like wine .. good or could be vinegar  ;D

qrz

Bender

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 02:21:50 pm »
thanks everyone for the info

One more question

I got a cap kit from Mike's arcade
I replaced all of the 22 caps and 3 resistors that came in the kit. There are still a few old caps still on the board, are these not important or should I try to replace every capacitor while I have the monitor discharged and disassembled?

I know this is might be a silly question, but this is the first time I've done a cap kit and I'd like to do it right

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 02:24:55 pm by Bender »

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
The ones not included are probably a few Non-polarized electrolytics (a.k.a. "bi-polar"). Yes you ought to replace those too while the chasis is out.

Bender

• Offline Offline
Yeah!!!

cap kit done!

had a few moments of panic when I got everything back together NO video :'(
retested all the connections and everything was hooked up correctly
then I remembered before I did the cap kit when I was trying to fix the picture with all the pots and the screen went out on me when I messed with the h-sync so I moved that pot a little then turned it off and back on again and bingo! great screen! :applaud:
It's like having a brandy new monitor!!!!
there are still a couple of issues I'd like to resolve

Edit After I thought about it I realized it couldn't be the monitor because some the characters weren't affected so it must be the PCB 1. I still get a flickering of Psychedelic donkey Kong

2. the left side of the screen looks spot on but the top right quadrant the blue looks out of "register" at least that's what you'd call it in printing, I'm sure there's a different term for monitors is there any way to fine tune the adjustments?

3. there is a very slight flickering/wavy motion across the screen

any Input would be much appreciated
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 09:31:02 am by Bender »

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Technician
#2 Did you bump/move/disturb the magnetic rings on the neck of the tube? Same for the yoke. Did one of the 3 rubber wedges fall out/come loose?

#3 Dress the video and audio wires away from AC power cord. You're picking up power line hum.

Bender

• Offline Offline
#2 Did you bump/move/disturb the magnetic rings on the neck of the tube? Same for the yoke. Did one of the 3 rubber wedges fall out/come loose?

#3 Dress the video and audio wires away from AC power cord. You're picking up power line hum.
Ken,

I really can't thank you enough for your help!
I'll check those suggestions out later today

can you move the magnetic rings while the monitor is on/charged?
all that electricity makes me nervous, but it seems like it would be hard to adjust without the monitor being on

Bender

• Offline Offline
after looking at it I think I may have bumped those magnetic rings
could you basically how the work?
It seems like there is a pair for each R G and B but i can't quite figure out that moving then around will do