Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New Frontend (Coming Soon)  (Read 49848 times)

BadBoyBill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2010, 06:34:53 pm
Re: New Frontend (Coming Soon)
« Reply #200 on: July 07, 2008, 02:58:39 pm »
PM Sent, thanks.

CathalDublin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2024, 04:05:23 pm
« Reply #201 on: July 15, 2008, 01:37:20 pm »
Has anyone tested with an AVGA card?
Defender(multiwilliams), SF2CE
Whirlwind, Lethal Weapon 3

ulao

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2023, 08:24:47 pm
« Reply #202 on: July 16, 2008, 01:17:04 pm »
Does or will is fully support goodmerge sets and 7z handling?

billpa

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2017, 11:25:31 pm
« Reply #203 on: July 16, 2008, 03:17:55 pm »
Has anyone tested with an AVGA card?

Yes and it works fine.

brian_hoffman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2011, 09:02:20 pm
« Reply #204 on: July 16, 2008, 11:34:48 pm »
No it doesnt support goodmerged and 7zipped roms... Only what the emu would natively support.
The FE is geared to conform to no intro standards. Just as emumovies adopts. Do you really need 100 entrys for the same game anyways? Remember it is a theme driven FE and not a list.. Although adding the ability to use text may be an option in future releases.

You can however run programs before and after which comes in handy to load custom profiles , mount cds, etc.....

« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 11:39:02 pm by brian_hoffman »

mighty1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2008, 12:49:11 am
« Reply #205 on: July 19, 2008, 03:31:41 pm »
Awesome can't wait.  Now I have to get my cab built.  The more bling the better.

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #206 on: July 20, 2008, 05:08:16 pm »
Met some of the HyperSpin folks at CAX....seem like a cool group of guys and I can't wait for the release of the FE...

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Circo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 03:27:51 am
  • Still using screenshots? Try EmuMovies instead.
    • EmuMovies
« Reply #207 on: July 21, 2008, 05:26:57 am »
I also got to spend time with Brian and Bill at CAEX and was given a fairly complete hands-on preview of Hyperspin.  Let me first say that both Bill and Brian were really great guys and are just full of passion for the project and it shows.  Also I am a fan of all FE's (That support video at least  ;D ) and each one somwhat serves a slightly different niche and feature set.  Now I havent followed this thread too closely as I stay pretty much slammed with my day job and website so I apologize if any of this is old news but I felt that I should put my own two cents in.  Ok let's get down to business......

I have seen the you tube videos and even reported on it early on, but I really wasn't prepared for what I saw.  I must say that when I first saw it fired up on that little laptop I was just floored, it was beautiful.  First it booted up very fast, just about 10 seconds from executing the program.  Suprising for a front end that is this graphics rich.  The first thing to hit the screen was the system selection, which started with an amazing MAME animated theme.  This was not enough however, as we then cycled through many of the major consoles and other emulated game systems, each one had an equally impressive animated theme.  Everything was just so incredibly smooth, I really couldn't believe it.  Then we browsed through a couple of game lists, first we looked at the MAME game lists.  I was really impressed by the individual game themes and I had the impression that this was the first time I felt that an FE gave me the feeling that it was a commercial product.  What I mean is that when navigating the very simple interface with its very glamorous presentation, it was what I would expect from a machine that I would find at Dave & Busters or another modern arcade.  Mind you as I am watching this, it occurs to me that while it looked so great, the vast amount of time and expertise it must take to create these these might be a bit more than any team could pull off.  But my fears were soon put to rest when I was shown the back end programs that come with hyperspin.  Let's just say that it was all very professional and simple to use, now I can't imagine that most will have any difficulty creating themes or animations in a very short amount of time.

My next thought was that while great for individual game themes, it was probably going to be a long time if ever before an individual theme was created for every game.  Then we fired up a system that didnt have any individual themes for the games but it did use video and artwork in such a way to still be just as impressive.  Realize they are also supplying all of the artwork, which takes much of the guesswork out of thing and should make for a fairly quick and painless install and for the casual user would be satisfied.  But it is open enough, and has the right tools available for even the most anal of us :) .

All in all while not as feature rich (at least to begin with) as GameEx or Mala for example, it is just one of the slickest presentations for an arcade cab that I have ever seen.  And finally it seems that there is now a solution to getting that commercial product feel out of your arcade cabinet.  If I had any cons it would be that there is no LCD or LED support built in, as I use a Beta Brite, LED Wiz, and 4x40 LCD Display on my cab, but I am fairly sure that I will be able to use a third party app to get my desired results. 

It is obvious that Bill, Brian and the rest of the team are putting a lot of work into this new FE and I encourage folks who were looking for something like this to help and support this project.   There is no reason that this product should be free, yet it is and that is really generous of these guys.   

- Tip of the hat to the Hyperspin team, it's going to be a zoo in the next couple of weeks when this beast comes out of private beta!

- Wave of the Finger to any haters out there on this project, it's looks like it's going to be an amazing package of software!
My Websites

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 10:34:39 am
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #208 on: July 21, 2008, 09:47:59 am »
I am really glad that the guys were able to take a laptop or something to give a little presentation with.  It really looks MUCH better than the youtube videos and really is something to see in person.

mighty1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2008, 12:49:11 am
« Reply #209 on: July 21, 2008, 06:31:40 pm »
I can't wait.  I have used most other FE's and really like the look of this one.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 10:34:39 am
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #210 on: July 26, 2008, 02:58:56 pm »
Public beta announced:  August 6th

BadBoyBill has been plugging away and trying to get a public release ready.  Beta testers should have access to the final closed beta release on Monday.  Shortly after testing a public beta should be expected around August 6th if all goes according to plan. 

New Future Pinball theme preview.

The theming community is really starting to pickup.  Even people that are not part of the beta have started showing themes that they are creating for HyperSpin.  If you are not yet a member of the HyperSpin forums at http://www.hyperspin-fe.com now is the perfect time to join!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 03:02:34 pm by Dazz »

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2008, 01:46:23 am »
This past weekend, I had made up my mind to get off my butt and was about to start using one of the existing front ends for my cab, no more mame32.  Don't want to do the job twice so thanks a lot guys, now I have to wait again!  Mame32 forever! )well, until the 6th anyway! )  :)

Seriously nicely done thus far, can't wait to test this out.

billpa

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2017, 11:25:31 pm
« Reply #212 on: July 27, 2008, 01:28:18 pm »
Its only 10 days  ;D There will be a lot of artwork already in place and hopefully we can get some more theme creators...especially for MAME!

iano

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2011, 03:39:11 pm
« Reply #213 on: July 27, 2008, 02:04:32 pm »
I'm delighted to hear this will be out August 6th. It seems like i've been waiting an eternity for a public release. Thanks to everyone involved for their hard work.

:)

Banacek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2017, 05:01:31 pm
« Reply #214 on: July 30, 2008, 12:33:12 am »
I haven't been around these parts in a while. I just stopped by to buy some parts, and I figured I'd check out the software forum. Imagine my surprise to find a FE that will make me finally give up Mamewah. This is amazing! Thanks for all the hard work, and I can't wait to check it out!