Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Game Elf not showing anything at all on the monitor  (Read 3754 times)

chrismax2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2018, 09:50:27 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Game Elf not showing anything at all on the monitor
« on: March 10, 2018, 07:36:08 am »
Hi, I'm new to Arcade building and I am trying to make an Arcade table with a Game Elf I purchased.  I wanted to just make sure I got the power connected before I add it to the table, so I plugged in my Jamma harness with the Arcade power supply connected and also the 12 V, 5V and ground.  I have tried it on my VGA computer monitor, but nothing happens.  I have used a multi-meter to confirm electricity is reaching the game elf.  So not sure why the screen is not detecting a signal.  Would it normally only work if I had the buttons and Joysticks connected as well to the harness?  Or is the Game Elf Broken?  I read that other people have had trouble turning it on.  Any help would be appreciated.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
Re: Game Elf not showing anything at all on the monitor
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 09:51:42 am »
I seem to remember there's a DIP switch to set CGA/VGA, but think it always outputs VGA anyway, so that's probably not it. Have you got all the GND connections wired up on your harness? There's several and no telling which one the Game Elf if relying on.

chrismax2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 11:31:21 am »
Thanks for replying, I have confirmed I have got the DIP switch set correctly, I do suspect I might have the GRD connections incorrect, as I really don't see what else I would have done wrong.  I know the Harness has to be set a little differently in a game Elf, Currently I got Pin 1, 2 and 28 set as ground. I might just be completely doing it wrong due to lack of knowledge, it says do not connect PIN 27 to ground as it can affect it, but as far as I know Pin 27 is for button 6.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 11:42:58 am »
Yes, pin 27 is GND for JAMMA pinout, but is used for button 6 on these multi boards (known as CHAMMA - Chinese version of JAMMA). Just make sure your grounds are connected to both sides of the edge connector (so, pins A, B and f). Not having any buttons/sticks connected won't matter, BTW. The Game Elf will just read all the controls as being 'not pressed'.

Oh, one more thing. Make sure you have the edge connector plugged in the right way around! If you plug it in upside down, you'll put voltages into the board where they shouldn't be, and probably fry it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:44:33 am by big10p »

chrismax2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 01:44:14 pm »
Okay, well I have always put the harness the right way round, but thanks for the warning.  But pin F, i did not put two and two together and realized I have three cables coming out of it, obviously one of them is going to the 12v power supply, are the other two meant to be connected to a ground wire?  If not what is the purpose of them?  Hope I am not being too infuriating. 

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 02:36:37 pm »
No, not infuriating at all. These forums are mainly here to help each other out.

I think you need to post a couple of pics, showing the connections you have to your edge connector (both sides). Not sure why you'd have 3 wires connected to pin f (the opposite side to pin 27). There definitely shouldn't be any voltage connected to it (unless you mean pin F (capital), the other side of pin 6, which is +12v).

Going by this pinout, BTW:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 02:44:58 pm by big10p »

chrismax2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 05:59:53 pm »
Yeah sorry I meant pin F for the 12 voltage. Here are both sides of my edge connector, I put the label saying solder side(just in case I have put it the wrong way round. Also this is for a three way control panels so they have more wires on the buttons and joystick movements. Hopefully they are clear enough, Thanks.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 05:50:33 am »
It looks like you have it labelled incorrectly. When the connector is plugged into the board, the voltages should be on the left end of the connector, but you have that side labelled as SOLDER SIDE (facing down, when plugged in), when it should be PARTS SIDE (facing up, when plugged in).

chrismax2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 08:11:41 am »
Thanks for explaining that I learnt something, and taken the label off. However I am putting it in the right way round, so is it likely then the game elf itself is broken? Anything else I could try?

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 08:15:30 am »
If it's still not working with the connector fitted correctly, I'm afraid it's likely you've fried the board. It's quite a common error that I've fallen victim to myself, and ended up frying a J-PAC.

chrismax2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 09:51:03 am »
Okay well thank you for your time.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 10:46:58 am »
You're welcome. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.