Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best vertical MAME games  (Read 41269 times)

Steven633

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2008, 03:44:19 pm
Best vertical MAME games
« on: February 13, 2008, 06:24:22 pm »
Now that my cab software is finally taking shape, I am wondering what the 'must have' games are for vertical set up?

vertygo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2015, 03:19:59 pm
Re: Best vertical MAME games
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 06:36:07 pm »
all the 194x games.. (1942, 1943, etc)
Raiden
Donkey Kong, DK jr.

somunny

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 02:22:25 pm
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 06:48:54 pm »
If you have two joysticks...  Assault.

Steven633

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2008, 03:44:19 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 07:01:01 pm »
If you have two joysticks...  Assault.

Nice 8)

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2020, 09:22:50 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 08:36:55 pm »
pac-man is an old standby, as is galaga, both verticle games.

does galaga play as well in MAME as in arcades?  It feels, to me, like the shoot button is less responsive...it might be my imagination, but it doesnt' feel like i can rattle off rapid fire as quickly in mame.

is this thread pushing the envelope?

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2011, 08:59:16 am
  • Just Say No To Taito! -Nichibutsu
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008, 09:22:54 pm »
The most unknown ever vertical game has to be Quantum.
It's like Tempest with a trackball.
The goal is to surround items floating randomly in space by circling them with the trackball.

I would second the 19xx series, and add DoDonPachi and the Strikers series.

Other games that aren't the obvious Pacman, Donkey Kong, Frogger, Dig Dug, etc... would be New Rally-X, Jump Bug, Circus Charlie, and Elevator Action (originally pretty much square, but plays well enough as vertical).

Zobeid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2021, 10:36:32 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 09:33:21 pm »

I'm not saying Galaga is a bad game, but I've never understood the widespread fascination with it.  There were dozens of vertical shooters in the same genre.  Many of them were as good as Galaga, some were probably better, some were definitely more influential.  I mean. . .    Space Invaders, Astro Invader, Carnival, Galaxians, Phoenix, Moon Cresta, Radarscope, Pleiads, Satan's Hollow, Gorf, Astro Blaster. . .  The list goes on.  Back in the day, Galaga was merely one of the many, many such games on the scene.  Somehow in retrospect Galaga seems to have been elevated above all the others, but I can't say why.

My personal favorites from that genre were Moon Cresta, Phoenix and Astro Blaster.

Some interesting variants on the whole vertical shooter idea included Centipede & Millipede, which used a trackball.  Tac-Scan was a vector game that let you control multiple ships using a spinner.  Quasar combined vertical shooter stages with Asteroids-like stages.  And one of my all-time favorites is Gyruss, which is like Galaga wrapped around a Tempest playfield.  All of these were vertical-monitor games, I'm pretty sure.

Vertical monitor orientation wasn't uncommon at all.  In fact, from my list of old favorites I think just about half are horizontal, half are vertical.

Some other vertical-monitor classics were:   All the Pacman games.  All the Donkey Kong games.  Ladybug.  Scramble and Super Cobra.  Tempest.  Arabian.  Arkanoid.  Ikari Warriors.  Moon Patrol.  Rally-X.  Zaxxon and Super Zaxxon.  Vanguard.  Xevious.  Sinistar.  Quix.  Dig Dug.  Frogger.  Q*Bert.  Space Dungeon.  Time Pilot.  Tron.  Truxton.  And I'm sure that's barely scratching the surface.

I've sometimes thought a vertical-monitor cabinet would be cool.  However. . .  If you play a vertical game on a horizontal monitor, it's 3/4 scale.  To me that's acceptable, for something that's at arm's length.  It's not like you're looking across a room at it.  Say you have a 20" monitor. . .  Your vertical games will be sized as if they were on a 15" monitor.  I can remember when I used a 13" monitor with my computer for several years, and 15" monitors were high-end gear.

If you have a 25-inch monitor in your cabinet, which isn't really excessive by today's standards, then you can play vertical games sized as they would have been on a  19" arcade monitor -- which is authentic for most of those older classic games.  To be really authentic you'd have to program it to scale down the horizontal games to match!  But I can't envision most people wanting to do that.

Maybe somebody will make a square monitor someday, so it'll be equally inefficient at showing both types of games.

BTW. . .  I once saw and played an original Quantum machine in its natural habitat.  I've got to say, it wasn't that fun.  Neat concept, just not fun to play.  I wouldn't describe it as Tempest with a trackball, I'd say more like Qix with a trackball. . .   but that's not completely accurate either.

Daniel B.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:19:20 pm
  • Lightgun and Point Blank enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 10:01:24 pm »
I will second Dodonpachi and add giga wing.

Namco Exceleena II (red) | Sega Astro City (needs ms9 monitor work)

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 11:13:54 pm »
I second Donkey Kong (my all time favorite). And on the galaga note, I love that game. It is just a lot of fun. But I probably like Phoenix a little bit more - another really fun one.

Dig Dug is another one.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 11:18:50 pm »
Mr. Do! is one of my all-time favorites.

bboysnj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2021, 01:57:25 pm
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 11:59:59 pm »

does galaga play as well in MAME as in arcades?  It feels, to me, like the shoot button is less responsive...it might be my imagination, but it doesnt' feel like i can rattle off rapid fire as quickly in mame.

Holy you-know-what man!  I have thought the exact same thing for quite some time now, and my buddy who is a die-hard Galaga fan REFUSES to play in Mame for that reason -- no one else has had this feeling?  Just curious  >:D

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:37:58 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 12:46:45 am »

some verticals that ive really enjoyed on my cocktail are exerion, juno first and ponpoko. heres another thread:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=64704.0

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

wana10

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2016, 09:44:04 pm
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 01:03:05 am »

hate to disappoint but gigawing wasn't a vertical game, it was pretty awesome though.

as for recs the entire raiden fighters spinoff series was great, and if you want to shoehorn a dreamcast into the cabinet it had some awesome vertical shooters; ikaruga, trigger heart exelica, and under defeat to name a few.

Daniel B.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:19:20 pm
  • Lightgun and Point Blank enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 07:40:52 am »

hate to disappoint but gigawing wasn't a vertical game, it was pretty awesome though.

as for recs the entire raiden fighters spinoff series was great, and if you want to shoehorn a dreamcast into the cabinet it had some awesome vertical shooters; ikaruga, trigger heart exelica, and under defeat to name a few.

Yea, I don't know what I was thinking! It's a vertically scrolling, horizontal shooter.

Thanks for pointing that out!
Namco Exceleena II (red) | Sega Astro City (needs ms9 monitor work)

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 02:38:09 pm
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 08:10:29 am »

Try using the fast shoot version.  :dunno

Phoenix is one of my favorites too. I think the sounds really make the game.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 09:48:00 am »

Try using the fast shoot version.  :dunno

Phoenix is one of my favorites too. I think the sounds really make the game.

I'm betting there are people who have only played Galaga in the arcades with fast shoot which is why MAME seems slow.

I'll add Lady Killer to the mix of great vertical games.  It's not for the kiddies but the gameplay is great!   :cheers:

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 09:53:11 am »
I'm betting there are people who have only played Galaga in the arcades with fast shoot which is why MAME seems slow.

:applaud:

I love Juno First -- I hadn't played it until RayB did his restoration of one, then tried it and loved it.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

Dexter

• Patriotism, the last refuge of the scoundrel. -- Irish, darnit!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2024, 04:36:19 pm
  • "MAKE POVERTY HISTORY......."
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 09:55:17 am »
Can't beat Gorf. Don't forget to grab the sample pack for it......

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 10:06:59 am »
I have a higher score in my MAME Galaga than any other version of it I have...and I bet the guy who said that people are thinking of Galaga with fast fire / repeat fire on...

As for playing it at 3/4 on a horizontal monitor...that is only true if you are using a computer monitor.  If you have an arcade monitor installed all vertical games are missing the scores from the top and things like the number of men, etc,  from the bottom.  Unacceptable in my eyes...hence the reason why I built a vertical MAME.

All the classics rock...and yes,  Juno First is AWESOME. 

Mr. Do!
Dig Dug
Donkey Kong, Jr, & 3
Mappy
Pengo
Pooyan
Congo Bongo
Gaplus
Xevious
Time Pilot

...the list goes on and on and on...

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

bboysnj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2021, 01:57:25 pm
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 11:01:22 am »

Is "fast shoot" a dipswitch setting, or an entirely different romset?  Thanks!

Zobeid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2021, 10:36:32 pm
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 11:11:15 am »
As for playing it at 3/4 on a horizontal monitor...that is only true if you are using a computer monitor.  If you have an arcade monitor installed all vertical games are missing the scores from the top and things like the number of men, etc,  from the bottom.  Unacceptable in my eyes...hence the reason why I built a vertical MAME.

I did not know that.

But then, I wouldn't want to use an arcade monitor anyhow.   :P

milhouse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2023, 08:03:32 pm
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 11:50:19 am »

Are you sure that's right? I was playing Burgertime not two days ago (which is a vertical game) and nothing was cut-off.  I have a Betson Multisync and ArcadeVGA and though I can't be 100% certain, I can't recall anything being missing from my screen.

vidmouse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2021, 10:13:41 am
  • Oop! Ack! Thppphbt!
    • Vidmouse's Arcade
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 11:54:55 am »
Gaiapolis - most recent vertical fighter/beat emup/shootem up

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 12:15:41 pm »
But then, I wouldn't want to use an arcade monitor anyhow.   :P

But then, you don't recognize the brilliance of Galaga either.  :P

Just kidding -- I prefer the classic arcade monitor, particularly for vertical cabs,  both for authenticity and because I may want to use that cab for something else in the future. I recently yanked the PC from my vertical MAME and replaced it with a 48-in-1 board which gave me most of the games that I was playing on the vertical MAME (OK -- I had to give up Blue Print).

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

lcddream

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2020, 06:56:49 pm
  • Say goodbye to gravity...
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2008, 12:44:05 pm »
Argus

Pretty challenging shmup

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2008, 01:42:12 pm »
(OK -- I had to give up Blue Print).

That game is amazing!  When I was little I got it as a Christmas gift from my grandparents for my Atari 5200.  They just walked into the store and picked something - I certainly didn't ask for it.  It has to be one of the few times ever a grandparent makes a blind buy for a grandkid and picks something completely awesome.  My sister and I played that forever...

galaxian77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 22, 2021, 12:45:59 pm
  • Groovyarcade fan !
    • Arcade Sunday (YouTube)
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 08:15:04 am »
All of these are great vertical games, but there is one very unknown / underrated game which I love : "VALTRIC". This is a sleeper classic, and is SUPER HARD. I spin up this game almost every MAME session I play, and still battle to even get to round 2 !

On the "vertical monitor v.s horizontal monitor" debate, it's always WAY better to play in the game's native orientation. I created a solution for this "problem" in my latest control setup build... Mounted a 4:3 LCD on a wall with a swivel mount. I can just flip the monitor to vertical or horizontal when the game calls for it. Sure, my current setup is not a full cabinet, per say, but it works very well !
Check out my home Arcade YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLKl6BrSjDsvCHIL2Blql-A

Still loving the classics, 30+ years later! 5 dedicated MAME cabinets: GroovyArcade, some Arduinos, real CRTs, ATI VGA cards, and some crazy hacks... Love it.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 11:47:04 am »
I like Galaga because I played it a lot in my youth. Most people prefer particular older games based on the good times playing it or the people they played it with and not just on the technical aspects. I finally got my own Galaga cab and restored it because when I played it as a kid I always dreamed of one day owning one. That being said I love me some DoDonPachi, a game I only know about because of MAME and never had the chance to play in the wild.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 11:59:06 am »
Thread resurrection image needed :)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 01:15:07 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 01:43:13 pm »
Thread resurrection image needed :)

I didnt even notice , lol   I wasnt the threadcromancer though.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

brad808

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2023, 08:18:15 pm
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2013, 02:17:11 pm »
Well to be fair we are talking about games from the 80s....not a lot has changed in the last few years lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2013, 02:19:32 pm »
Hah agreed.  I read through the thread a bit before realizing.  And actually it reminded me I have to check out Juno First, I keep forgetting.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
Re: Re: Best vertical MAME games
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2013, 02:34:20 pm »
Mr. Do! is one of my all-time favorites.
I have to agree! Now that im in the final stages of finishing my vertical cab. I have played it a lot! Its the cool factor to me to play vertical games the way they should be.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2013, 08:25:04 pm »
I never got to play galaga in my youth ( I am sure that there were no arcades then, not even sure about TV   ;D)

I find that it is one of the games that I often saw in arcades as they disappeared and even now there is a wave of players who desire to play it and Pacman and Ms Pacman.   I like it because it is one of the games that I have most often played.

darkSSide

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2023, 08:10:05 pm
  • I want to make my own money!
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2013, 11:06:39 pm »
The facination with Galaga I think was you got you're fighter captured to get it back as a partner and also the bonus stages.
Alot of games mentioned but one of my old time favorites was Popeye

Sent from my Atari 2600

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:41:01 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2013, 09:08:02 am »
come on no one ?

Crush Roller/Paint Roller simple game but addicting.... I wish there was a game (arcade) Kaboom so it would be included in MAME  ;D

Let's not forget Gyruss.
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

Termin8tor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2020, 01:54:23 am
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2013, 09:14:03 am »
Arkanoid.....Just sayin.  ;D

Nephasth

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2013, 09:33:50 am »
I second Exerion. Love the inertia physics in that game.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 06:07:15 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2013, 12:27:19 pm »
Alot of games mentioned but one of my old time favorites was Popeye

Yeah a lot of vertical games :duckhunt

One of my favs too tho  ;)

Noshbomb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2013, 09:17:11 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2013, 03:20:54 am »
If it hasn't been posted yet, Twin Cobra is a great vertical game