Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Restoring vs. Maming a cabinet - The complete rule book  (Read 34779 times)

brandon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 03:08:43 pm
  • I <3 arcade games.
Re: Restoring vs. Maming a cabinet - The complete rule book
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2008, 03:53:57 pm »
2 Certain cabs are typically considered holy and shouldn't be MAME'd. few quick examples of this are Star Wars, Tron, Tempest, Dragons Lair and Major Havoc (Ironically, three of the games on this list are usually gutted because the monitors suck and cost a lot to repair).

...and Dragon's Lair is usually gutted because the laserdisc player is a total ---smurfette---.

right.. and rather than hunt down unreliable and expensive hardware (not to mention the disc) I seen no problem with somebody running Daphne inside of it as long as they're nondestructive and it can be undone.   You could either have a 100% mint machine that plays one game that you keep covered with a sheet and wont let your friends touch it.. or you could have a machine that runs several games that you... still wont let your friends touch :)

I guess its like classic cars.. do you want something you haul to car shows in an enclosed trailer or do you want something you aren't afraid to drive from coast to coast?  paint chips add character right? :D Cars (and video games) were meant to be enjoyed. It's the enjoyment that needs to be preserved first and formost.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 03:58:50 pm by brandon »

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2008, 04:00:26 pm »

On a true classic, I don't see a problem with using MAME to make it appear original if the original hardware is missing or really dead.  I wouldn't go changing the CP or anything to expand it to additional games, though.  If it was a Galaxian, I would use MAME to make it a Galaxian again, and I may add a couple more simple two way one fire button games without changing the art at all.  Nothing really more than that, though.

bigh4th

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2009, 11:05:35 pm
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2008, 04:25:06 pm »
I think you guys need to step back and re-examine this whole ordeal.

Reguardless of if the galaxian (which is a terrible game, IMHO) boards in his cabinet were working, they were housed inside of an almost 30 year-old plywood box that was beat to hell.

Had he decided to fix (or replace) the monitor, it would still need major cosmetic work to be restored, and even then it wouldn't be like new, unless they used bondo or wood filler at the factory.

He then would have had to find a CP and order a replacement overlay to replace the exsisting replacement.

And after that, the artwork on the cabinet was trashed so bad that it would need to be replaced.

So what it all boils down to is the only things being original are the PCBs hanging off of 30 year old plywood and possibly the wires hooked to them.

So is the nostalgia for the plywood, the cabinets shape, or what?  The only way that cabinet could have been restored is to use original NOS artwork and parts....which even if they do exsist and are usable, are more rare than hens teeth. 

We're not talking about a Tron cabinet, we're talking about a beat to hell Galaxian, which wasn't a popular game to begin with.  It also isn't rare.

Lastly, A lot of you seem to be under the impression than anyone can pick up a phone book or get on craigslist and just find a worthless generic cabinet to mame.....This isn't the case.  In the last year in a 100 mile radius of my location, there have been maybe 3 generic cabinets in the area that weren't selling for an insane price.  A sente, double dragon, and cobal.  all three sold for 75 or less on ebay.  Guess who got them?  An amusement opperator who used e-snipe and then fitted them with poker machine internals.

Aside from those cabinets, the others you see are TMNT, MS. Pac, SFII, and the like all asking $700 or more.

So finding a generic cabinet is not a simple task in many parts of the country.

-Harry

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2008, 04:30:42 pm »
In the last year in a 100 mile radius of my location, there have been maybe 3 generic cabinets in the area that weren't selling for an insane price. 

That just means you haven't found your way into the local collectors' circuit yet.  It takes some time.  Once you do generic cabinets really are a phone call or two away at any given time.  I used to say the same things you're saying.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2008, 04:37:32 pm »

There are a lot more cabs out there than people think (I can think of a couple of folks posting in this thread who used to lament the troubles with finding cabs and, not that long later, are having to get rid of some to make room ... myself included). It may take a while, but it can be done.

EDIT: Chad got there first ...

And, FWIW, Galaxian is popular among collectors for a numbers of reasons, not the smallest of which is that it was the first RGB game (a rather important event in vid history).
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2008, 04:40:01 pm »

I definitely don't see how a game can be both unpopular and common.  Production titles were based on sales which were based on popularity. 

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »
Galaxian was a rally big deal when it came out, but Galaga blew it out of the water not long after. Galaga is the sole reason why I cannot stand to play Galaxian.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2008, 05:16:53 pm »
Galaxian was a rally big deal when it came out, but Galaga blew it out of the water not long after. Galaga is the sole reason why I cannot stand to play Galaxian.
Same here. It's a milestone in history, but boring.

I used to be of the "save every game" camp, but I'm on the fence these days. I've seen so many free or near-free project cabs pass me by. Can't save em all! So I can't expect anyone else to buy up arcade games they don't want just to save them, if I'm not going to be doing that myself. So I feel I'm in no position to dictate what someone else should do. That would be hypocritical.

But as a general rule, yeah, make mods reversable. Use a 2nd control panel for custom controls and keep the original. Stuff like that.

On the other hand  ;D  the more cabs that get destroyed the higher the value of my collection! MOuahahahah!!
NO MORE!!

TelcoLou

• Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2010, 01:28:19 am
  • Playing video games since 1977
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2008, 05:41:18 pm »
Well, here's how I see it:

If a cab has most of its original components (monitor, PCB, power supply, CP), and is in decent physical shape, I would personally go the restore route.

If it's already been gutted, or has many missing, or "beyond economical repair" parts, I guess its morally ok to MAME it.

**note**, this opinion if from a total N00b who is ecstatic  over his recent acquisition of some kind of cabinet whose origin is still a bit of a mystery (came w/o monitor or PCB, ad by the looks of it, was converted at least once) :D

So a leper walks into a bar and as he gets his beer, a finger falls off. The bartender who is serving him turns and pukes all over the place. The leper, feeling bad, says, "Was it my finger falling off?" The bartender turns to him and says, "No, it's the guy dipping chips into your back."

stan2323

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2023, 06:05:19 pm
  • Major Retired USS Enterprise Commanding
    • My home page
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2008, 06:09:11 pm »
Lastly, A lot of you seem to be under the impression than anyone can pick up a phone book or get on craigslist and just find a worthless generic cabinet to mame.....This isn't the case.  In the last year in a 100 mile radius of my location, there have been maybe 3 generic cabinets in the area that weren't selling for an insane price.  A sente, double dragon, and cobal.  all three sold for 75 or less on ebay.  Guess who got them?  An amusement opperator who used e-snipe and then fitted them with poker machine internals.

Aside from those cabinets, the others you see are TMNT, MS. Pac, SFII, and the like all asking $700 or more.

-Harry

People seem to forget this.

Let me put my 2 cent in here.  All you that want to preserve “history” here is one for you to think about.  In my town a guy had an old house and the windows were real lead stained glass.  They were making his daughter sick.  He replaced them with new windows.  Well the town historical society sued him to make him put the original windows back in AND WON.  He owned the house out right and it was not on any historical registry or anything like that.  I am sick to death of people that care more about preserving history, animals, or any other thing at the expense of someone else’s health or finances but not there own.

That is what you sound like to me.  “Everyone be dam$$ed just save the games.”  IT IS ONLY A GAME.  There are better things to get wound up about. 

« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 06:11:17 pm by stan2323 »
Careful what you wish for you may get it!!
There are 10 kind of people in the world those that understand binary and those that do not!!

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2008, 06:21:23 pm »
I am sick to death of people that care more about preserving history, animals, or any other thing at the expense of someone else’s health or finances but not there own.

Yeah.  It's well known that original Tron cabinets cause explosive diarrhea and urinary incontinence.  The only known remedy is to remove the black lights and attach a 4 player frankenpanel.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2008, 06:23:41 pm »

-Harry

People seem to forget this.

Actually, people just seem to disagree, because they became dialed in and have no problems finding games.

Harry lives in central VA -- I have friends in Richmond and have on occasion considered having them pick up cabs for me. If *I* can find cabs in that area when I live in a different country, I'm pretty sure that Harry should be able to find some too.

I am sick to death of people that care more about preserving history, animals, or any other thing at the expense of someone else’s health or finances but not there own.

That is what you sound like to me.  “Everyone be dam$$ed just save the games.”  IT IS ONLY A GAME.  There are better things to get wound up about. 

Hey, Stan ... IT IS ONLY A THREAD.

;)

brandon

• Offline Offline
  • I <3 arcade games.
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2008, 06:48:17 pm »

I definitely don't see how a game can be both unpopular and common.  Production titles were based on sales which were based on popularity. 

The Atari version of ET comes to mind... :D

brandon

• Offline Offline
  • I <3 arcade games.
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2008, 06:57:46 pm »

yeah.. like treehuggers that would rather us be at the whim of foreign oil because we cant drill for oil in our own damn country.. BUT thats another topic for another place :P

As far as the arcade restoration is concerned..  Well, I've restored several games that I didnt even really like just because they were bought as part of the lot.. and when it comes time to sell them you can barely make your money back.   I have a fully restored Ms Pacman cocktail that I'd practically have to give away to sell because they market has been flooded with so many knockoffs... either folks dont know the difference or they'd rather have a 60 in 1 bootleg vs an original PCB that plays one game..  but in many ways I dont blame them.

Sir Auros

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2012, 12:13:00 pm
    • The Transformers Archive
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2008, 09:16:11 pm »
Honestly, the more I read these stupid, ****ing flamefests and bashing on excited newbies with cabinets some consider classics, the more I want to just buy and destroy an old cab, post the video to youtube, and post a link to it in every active thread here.  :soapbox:

This is one of the most newbie-hostile online communities I've ever joined, and the MAME vs. Restore crap is a big part of it. At least, that's how I perceive it.

Edited because the autocensor doesn't pick up the f-word for some reason.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 09:22:47 pm by Sir Auros »

protokatie

• I DO try to be insulting and horrible to my fellow Terran
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm
  • Is anyone here a member of team retard?
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2008, 09:22:25 pm »
Honestly, the more I read these stupid, ---smurfing--- flamefests and bashing on excited newbies with cabinets some consider classics, the more I want to just buy and destroy an old cab, post the video to youtube, and post a link to it in every active thread here.

I know where to get a '57 chevy that you could put the cab on! Hell, around here would could even get the news crew to start the fire!

Meh, as I have said before, it is good to restore an old cab, but not necissary!
--- Yes I AM doing this on purpose, and yes I DO realize it is pissing you off.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2008, 11:05:13 pm »
Honestly, the more I read these stupid, ****ing flamefests and bashing on excited newbies with cabinets some consider classics, the more I want to just buy and destroy an old cab, post the video to youtube, and post a link to it in every active thread here.  :soapbox:

This is one of the most newbie-hostile online communities I've ever joined, and the MAME vs. Restore crap is a big part of it. At least, that's how I perceive it.

Edited because the autocensor doesn't pick up the f-word for some reason.

It's only hostile to those who skip the manifesto and forum rules.   Sorry you perceive it as such but....  well, are you expecting to win support with your "outrageous" comments?   ::)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:06:58 pm by DaveMMR »

yalborap

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2015, 03:19:12 am
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2008, 11:21:02 pm »
Okay, I look at it this way.

You know what matters to me? The internals and artwork. And if you can strip the artwork off and gut the parts, you know what you're left with?

A worthless, damn, plywood box. As long as you don't break the internals, and you don't destroy the artwork, what you do to that worthless plywood box DOES NOT MATTER. Because no, just because that wood is 20 years old does not mean it's even vaguely valuable. It's still cheap plywood. Now, if someone made a gorgeous, amazing, uber-rare hardwood cab that looks like the finest oak desks mated with a Tron cab to produce the single best thing ever? Yeah, sure, that's valuable.

But again. Cheap, crappy plywood. Does not matter.

Side art, internal components? DO matter. Parts were, to my knowledge, saved or have entered the collections of people who can use them. The rest, does not matter. The only thing we must preserve is that which effects the experience and cannot be recreated.

But that's just me. And I'm a mere 16 year old who wasn't around for the arcade days, so maybe I'm talking out  ---my bottom---.

Sir Auros

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2012, 12:13:00 pm
    • The Transformers Archive
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2008, 11:21:18 pm »
Re:DaveMMR

It's attitudes like yours that make me think that for all of saint's hard work monitoring the boards, this is one of the most antisocial forums I've used. No, I don't expect support, but I'll damn-well voice my opinion whether or not the more extremist nerds here like it.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2008, 11:56:17 pm »
Actually this site's pretty cool. Even the debates have some intelligence to them. Visit any other forum related to a really "mainstream" topic (like car modding) and you'll see a rather huge IQ drop in the discussions compared to here.
NO MORE!!

brandon

• Offline Offline
  • I <3 arcade games.
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2008, 12:11:21 am »
Re:DaveMMR

It's attitudes like yours that make me think that for all of saint's hard work monitoring the boards, this is one of the most antisocial forums I've used. No, I don't expect support, but I'll damn-well voice my opinion whether or not the more extremist nerds here like it.

I think the majority or people here say "well, to each his own"  but then you have the the very vocal minority that acts like you're clubbing a baby seal

solderguy1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:29:27 am
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2008, 12:45:17 am »
I think the majority or people here say "well, to each his own"  but then you have the the very vocal minority that acts like you're clubbing a baby seal
I'd club a baby seal if I saw it mame-ing an 80s cab. 

protokatie

• I DO try to be insulting and horrible to my fellow Terran
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm
  • Is anyone here a member of team retard?
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2008, 12:59:36 am »

HEY! No matter what, you should never promote alcohol abuse to children, esp baby seals!
--- Yes I AM doing this on purpose, and yes I DO realize it is pissing you off.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

yalborap

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2015, 03:19:12 am
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2008, 01:00:16 am »
And I'd club an 80s cab if I saw it MAMEing a baby seal.  ;D

Since this place needs a bit of a humor injection and all these days...

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2008, 01:01:50 am »
Actually, people just seem to disagree, because they became dialed in and have no problems finding games.

Some of us aren't quite so dialed into the local collectors scene. I've received a message once in a while asking where I get my cabs and I consider finding cabs of interest equally as problematic as finding a unicorn's feather. I think the stumbling block for those of us on the low side of the collectors scene is actually finding someone to start building our cabinet "network."

Singapura

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2015, 08:43:05 pm
  • I, for one welcome our new insect overlords!
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2008, 01:12:54 am »
I would trade all my unicorn feathers for a good cab. I would club a baby unicorn for a good cab!
Wish list: Galaga, Pacman, Pooyan, Star Wars cockpit, Gauntlet, Tron

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

Avrus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2011, 09:17:25 pm
  • Canada
    • The Avrus Arcade Project 'Conquest'
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2008, 02:41:46 am »
I would trade all my unicorn feathers for a good cab. I would club a baby unicorn for a good cab!

You don't have to club it, just cut the horn off.  >:D

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2008, 06:47:23 am »
I think the stumbling block for those of us on the low side of the collectors scene is actually finding someone to start building our cabinet "network."

I would agree with that statement -- I was a complete blank, other than a solitary eBay purchase for a long time. Once I found pseudo-local folks, problem solved. Then I had a new problem ... no space or time.

CheffoJeffo

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2008, 07:05:31 am »
Actually this site's pretty cool. Even the debates have some intelligence to them. Visit any other forum related to a really "mainstream" topic (like car modding) and you'll see a rather huge IQ drop in the discussions compared to here.

And I would add that some of the folks being labelled as anti-social or hostile-to-newbs are among the more helpful members of the community.

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2008, 07:22:44 am »
You know what matters to me? The internals and artwork. And if you can strip the artwork off and gut the parts, you know what you're left with? A worthless, damn, plywood box.

You know what.... You're absolutely right! It's a worthless damned plywood box.

But it's only a worthless damned plywood box because it's had all of that stripped out of it. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Lets take a faberge egg remove the jewels, remove the gold hardware, sand the translucent enamel off the surface and give it a nice coat of white paint to freshen it up. What have you got now... A nice bright white paste egg, completely worthless and unrestorable but still nice and bright.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear) 
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

csa3d

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2008, 08:12:00 am »
You know what matters to me? The internals and artwork. And if you can strip the artwork off and gut the parts, you know what you're left with? A worthless, damn, plywood box.

You know what.... You're absolutely right! It's a worthless damned plywood box.

But it's only a worthless damned plywood box because it's had all of that stripped out of it. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Lets take a faberge egg remove the jewels, remove the gold hardware, sand the translucent enamel off the surface and give it a nice coat of white paint to freshen it up. What have you got now... A nice bright white paste egg, completely worthless and unrestorable but still nice and bright.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear) 

Well, then put the jewels back on it, a bit of touch up, and it no longer smells like a rotten egg.
-csa

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2008, 09:09:29 am »
Let me put my 2 cent in here.  All you that want to preserve “history” here is one for you to think about.  In my town a guy had an old house and the windows were real lead stained glass.  They were making his daughter sick.  He replaced them with new windows.  Well the town historical society sued him to make him put the original windows back in AND WON.  He owned the house out right and it was not on any historical registry or anything like that.  I am sick to death of people that care more about preserving history, animals, or any other thing at the expense of someone else’s health or finances but not there own.

You have a link or something for that story? Is it recent or old? That is absolutely crazy, and I would think it could make national attention.

MadGamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2019, 10:40:51 am
  • Locotestman
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2008, 09:11:03 am »
This has been a very interesting read and all seem to have one or two good points. So I figured I would throw my two cents in. I'm all for preservation of most things and so are most that's why antiques and museums are so popular. But what determines something to be worth preserving. We have a local museum and a friend and I on a whim decided to stop one day. We paid to get in not very much maybe $2.00. As we entered the first room it was completely filled with bowls. We went back to the curator and said what's with all the bowls. He replied its soup tureen month here at the museum. The whole museum display was soup tureens, big small colorful bowls. I felt so ripped off I mean who really gives a rats *ss about soup bowls not me. So it's something you care about that's worth preserving to you. And the best place to do that is in your memories and that's why we care about these games. We want to relive our childhoods going to the arcade where all it cost was a quarter and you can go far away where there were no cares or worries even if it was only temporary you knew you were always just one quarter away. So you want to preserve something preserve the game rooms we all remember. That what's worth preserving? Not some collector who has the means to restore a machine that they can keep it in there own collection. But for the kid who only has a quarter.
I used to be Knowledgeable !!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2008, 09:20:22 am »

The Atari version of ET was not commercial equipment costing thousands of dollars per unit.   :)

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2008, 09:47:14 am »
Well,  I am tired of defending the MAME community over at KLOV.  They point to Galaxians being gutted,  Dig Dugs,  being killed,  etc as a reason why MAME is the anti-christ and I try to point out that RESPONSIBLE MAMEers don't kill classic dedicated cabs.   Hard to do that when so many ARE.

I got in to arcade collecting through MAME.  My first cabinet was a beat to hell Robocop that had been converted to a Street Fighter II that had been gutted.  I have a soft spot for MAME and even though I have 11 dedicated arcade cabinets,  I still have 3 MAMEd cabinets among them.   I get defensive when arcade collectors go on a tirade about MAME and how it's killing cabs... but damn,  it's hard to be defensive when (it seems) so many people don't give two shits whether they destroy a classic arcade cabinet or not.

It seems that the arcade collecting community is right...

---fudgesicle--- it...it's your cab...do what you want...doesn't mean I'm not going to call you a --cream-filled twinkie-- for doing so.  If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck,  for some strange reason I highly doubt it's a Humming Bird.

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2008, 10:15:07 am »

The Atari version of ET was not commercial equipment costing thousands of dollars per unit.   :)

Plus it is about as coveted as a bootleg Mahjong machine.

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2008, 10:19:28 am »
I get defensive when arcade collectors go on a tirade about MAME and how it's killing cabs... but damn,  it's hard to be defensive when (it seems) so many people don't give two shits whether they destroy a classic arcade cabinet or not.

It seems that the arcade collecting community is right...

This is what I've been trying to get through to them. That the collecting community literally hates the BYOAC and Mame, for all the destruction that goes on.  So that's both of us that have been treated like shite elsewhere because we try to support and back up and defend this community with collectors, museums and preservation groups.

The Managing Director of a major UK Science and Technology Museum (while they were organising an exhibit on computer games history), was asking me for assistance. Over dinner I mentioned the BYOAC and that some members might be prepared to loan some machines. He turned to me and said: "Oh those are the people who rip game machines apart to make them play other games aren't they?"  It's almost impossible to defend that perception of this community, when we have people doing exactly that and not giving a crap about it.

I too have had it with this nonsense! Do as you please.... So go ahead! Damage the reputation of this community, damage the reputatioin of Mame, rip machines apart all you like. After all you can do whatever you like with the property you own, right?!. Even if that destroys things for everybody else on the planet.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

TelcoLou

• Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2010, 01:28:19 am
  • Playing video games since 1977
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2008, 10:27:28 am »
Hmm. I'm confused. This site's acronym (and a quick check on the wiki) suggests to me, that it's about "Building you own" stuff, not "Restoring Beat-up cabinets back to their original luster"  :dizzy:

So a leper walks into a bar and as he gets his beer, a finger falls off. The bartender who is serving him turns and pukes all over the place. The leper, feeling bad, says, "Was it my finger falling off?" The bartender turns to him and says, "No, it's the guy dipping chips into your back."

stan2323

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2023, 06:05:19 pm
  • Major Retired USS Enterprise Commanding
    • My home page
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2008, 10:28:42 am »
You have a link or something for that story? Is it recent or old? That is absolutely crazy, and I would think it could make national attention.

No I do not it was 10 years ago.  The flood in the area in 2006 destroyed the house along with quite a few others that were along the river.
Careful what you wish for you may get it!!
There are 10 kind of people in the world those that understand binary and those that do not!!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2008, 10:33:23 am »
That the collecting community literally hates the BYOAC

Uhm, maybe there, but definitely not here.  People are intelligent enough to discern the difference between what was done with this Galaxian and building your own cabinet from scratch or MAMEing a Dynamo that has been converted 4 times already.  The ones that can't are only going by "what I heard from someone who heard someone said that" or aren't really involved in this hobby.

Truth be told, I probably fall deeper into the "collecting community" than I do BYOAC.  I have built zero cabs and have never MAMEd anything.  I do restorations.