Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Arcade Master - a multifunctional Arcade Stick  (Read 2738 times)

Fire-WSP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2023, 04:15:07 am
The Arcade Master - a multifunctional Arcade Stick
« on: October 28, 2022, 05:06:35 am »
So, I had this idea for a very long time and finally got around to make it happen.
I present you the Arcade Master plus Nintendo Switch Stand addon.
Since I was a kid I always liked the Super Nintendo Score Master. But this Stick has many issues and with age the rubber parts in it will get stiff and make the Stick unplayable. Also, the Buttons are a problem.
The great thing about the Score Master is the design. The hands can rest very comfortable on it and makes playing a game very nice.
So, my first idea was to take apart an original Score Master and put real Arcade parts in it.
I scrapped that idea because I found that the overall size of the Score Master is too small for what I had in mind.
What I did instead was to build the entire thing from scratch.
The size was adjusted and buttons were added the way I wanted it.
Main additions are the secondary L&R Buttons on the sides. I placed them there for playing Pinball Games like Devils Crush.
There are additional Z1 and Z2 Buttons. They work very well in combination with L2&R2.
I have added two Buttons besides Start and Select. These can be used as Service Buttons for Arcade Games. My main addition is a fully functional Coin Slot/Button. I have never seen something like this before on an Arcade Stick. This really gives an ultimate Arcade feel.
The way it works you just need to place your favorite Coin into the Slot and press it down. This triggers the "Insert Coin"
The Coin Slot is big enough to fit all sort of coins into it but I had Sega Arcade Coins in mind.

When I had finished my fully working prototype of the Arcade Master, I got the idea for a Nintendo Switch addon to mount the Switch as a screen to the Stick.
The Switch mount makes it possible to turn the screen to play vertical games the correct way. As far as I know turning the screen is not possible in official games but it should work in any case for hacked systems with mame and so on.

The whole project was designed in 3D CAD and then 3D printed.
I used PETG for the project because this is most durable, has a good heat resistance and can resist most chemicals.
The buttons are Sanwa OBSF-30, the Stick is a Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT
The USB board is a Xin Mo USB Arcade Encoder for 2 players and 22 buttons. I choose this one because it gave me all the individual button connections I wanted to add (L2,R2,Z1,Z2, Service1,Service2,Coin)

For the colors I will use the colors used on the real Score Master.
The colors are all RAL tones which makes the matter easy. A friend of mine owns a car paint shop and can mix me any color.

My Brother and I have tested the Arcade Stick with all sorts of Games and it works very well already.
I constantly improve the CAD model so the next prototype will have improvements too.
Different Button configurations are possible now. All can be swapped or modded.
The whole System uses M5 hex screws for maximal stability.
At the moment I use a wood plate at the bottom, that’s just for now. I plan to have a proper metal plate there with about 2mm.

Lets see when I can post the next update. First I need to calibrate the 3D Printer better.

Fire-WSP

• Offline Offline
Re: The Arcade Master - a multifunctional Arcade Stick
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 05:10:04 am »
Here are some more pictures:

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2022, 07:21:29 pm »
That is pretty cool!  Unique form factor.  I like it.

zeorangr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:48:10 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,165836.0.html
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2022, 07:29:42 pm »
Nifty!  I like the coin-operated coin slot, that's cool.
-z-

Fire-WSP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 05:06:07 pm »
Small update:
Here is the version for left handed people.
I am not left handed myself. Would that work like this?
Thanks for the input.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 11:50:16 am »
I will never understand why people insist on Curving their Button layouts.

Your Keyboard, that you type on... has Straight lines of keys.   Its easy for your fingers to find them, because you know
they are all aligned, along these straight lines (same distances).

When you play a game... you dont lay your hand perfectly Flat on the Control panel.  You use the same bent knuckle position,
as if you are typing on a keyboard.  That gives you superior control, increased strength (leverage), and thus better reaction times.

Furthermore... IF you did lay your hand flat down... Your hand, and anyone else's hands... will be completely different in
finger-lengths.   As such... If the buttons dont match the optimal finger length positions... that person will be uncomfortable,
and will likely have issues with pressing the buttons optimally.

And finally...

If you have the buttons in straight lines... and a player is a Lefty... they can manually cross their arms, to be able to play
as they desire.   If the buttons are angled.. they cant easily do that, without extreme discomfort.. depending on the angles.

Personally, I am Semi-Ambidextrous.  I do things like throw a ball with my Right.. but I write my name and draw, with my Left.
As such, I prefer the standard right handed layouts.   But, I probably wouldnt have an issues playing with either.  Robotron has
dual sticks... and I never had an issues with that  =P    And of course, I also use two hands to type on my keyboard.

Moving a stick, is not a "Fine Motor" activity... like Drawing / Writing.  It really shouldnt matter.

Fire-WSP

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2022, 01:37:30 pm »
Thanks for the Input.
The Stick is meant to be fully customizable.
What you see in the pictures is what I wanted for me feature wise.
For me I was adding the Pinball Buttons to the side and came up with the Coin Button (TM)
The plate for the buttons can be exchanged for different button layouts or even less buttons.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2022, 07:30:54 am »
Sorry.  It just triggers me, to see a lot of bad button layouts... and knowing that you wanted the possibility to Flip
the thing for Lefties, just made me want to reveal how a change in the layout, would solve all of these issues.
(As that was how things were almost always done in the actual arcade, since their inception)

As for the Coin button.. no offense, but I had the idea too.  Its a common idea to have.  Of course, having an idea, and actually
building it, are two difference things.

IMO... For the Pinball Buttons, you should replace them with actual Pinball Leafswitches.  They react faster.  They are more comfy.
And they are nearly SILENT..  compared to the Loud Clickity Clack, of constantly pushing Microswitch buttons.

Also, Id order at least One pinball leaf button, for use as a main controller button.  This would be for Rapid-Fire games, like
Halley's Comet, Galaga, etc.   You will have less fatigue.. get much faster rapidfire rates. Quicker physical response times. And
enjoy a near silent experience to boot.

I personally also prefer Concave topped buttons.  They help funnel your fingers into the center of the buttons, and feel much
nicer to the touch.  They help prevent your fingers from accidentally sliding off.. and make it easier to tell which button you
are pressing and then transitioning to.  (as you feel the raised ridge edges, as you slide from one button to the next)

Edit:

Maybe add an inch to the opposite side of the stick.. to be able to install a mini spinner.   Logitechs weighted free-wheel
scroll wheels would probably work great... but last time I tried one with mame (ages ago),  the axis that they use.. wasnt
working smoothly / correctly, for some reason.   Point being, its a small free-moving, weighted spinner, that feels good.. and
takes up very little space.

Then, swap the Joystick with a Mini Top mounted button..  like the old Wico bat joysticks.. and you could play games like
Tron, and Mad Planets.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 07:36:12 am by Xiaou2 »

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 11:16:24 am »
There are 3 types of people in the world: talkers, thinkers, and doers.

X2 is a talker.

Keep on doin' stuff!  :cheers:
%Bartop

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:28:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 11:29:01 am »
Logitechs weighted free-wheel scroll wheels would probably work great... but last time I tried one with mame (ages ago),  the axis that they use.. wasnt working smoothly / correctly, for some reason.
Sounds like the Windows Scroll Wheel (Z-axis) 4:1 issue.

IIRC enabling multimouse in mame.ini allows MAME to take mouse data directly from the device instead of running it through Windows where the 4x multiplier is applied.

Otherwise, TopJimmyCooks did a one-line source code search/edit/recompile several years ago using code from u_rebelscum's patch that took the Windows mouse Z-axis and divided by 4.  To use this approach, you'll need to know how to compile a custom version of MAME.