Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Artwork Basics  (Read 3280 times)

Acroyear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2003, 09:02:16 am
  • You'll never survive.... Slave!
Artwork Basics
« on: May 26, 2003, 09:06:10 am »
Hey Guys...

First time poster, s please go easy. I'm in the middle of building a cab, and want to make a CP overlay. Looking around this great forum, I have seen fantastic examples of work.

I was wondering if we could discuss how many of you have created these great pieces. There has been talk about making clean graphics at any size for print out. Sounds great!

Is there a tutorial out there that discusses the steps to making this? What's the best way to start making these?

Lets see what can be done..

-Acroyear

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
Re:Artwork Basics
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 11:30:21 am »
I've made a tutorial up for folks like you.  Check out the DOWNLOADS link to the left, then click on vector tutorial - and it's not just about illustrator or vector graphics, BTW.

There are sections on what style you are going for, printing options, examples, etc.

Good luck  :)

CthulhuLuke

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2003, 07:35:25 pm »
I really wish I had the effort to write up a nice tutorial about this stuff, cause I'm not very well known around here for my artwork, although I do plenty of it on the side.
  Basically there's a few basics layouts you want to decide on:
-background w/fighting game characters
-interactive background *looks more commercial, such as MotorFish, AceTKK, etc.'s cps*
-classic background such as http://james10583.tripod.com/index.html   which uses the gauntlet principles with his own touch

You can also try to get other people to do your CP, but first of all, thats no fun for you, you usually don't get what you want, and most people are lazy and don't come through.
  There's also some CPs you can just have fun with, experiment with different settings, etc.  I included an example of a control panel I was working on until the dude bitched at me about wanting more flames/blood/zombies.... yes.....
    -Once you get what you want figured out, message again and we'll work from there
      -Luke
« Last Edit: May 26, 2003, 07:39:28 pm by CthulhuLuke »

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 08:18:50 pm »
I really wish I had the effort to write up a nice tutorial about this stuff, cause I'm not very well known around here for my artwork, although I do plenty of it on the side.
  Basically there's a few basics layouts you want to decide on:
-background w/fighting game characters
-interactive background *looks more commercial, such as MotorFish, AceTKK, etc.'s cps*
-classic background such as http://james10583.tripod.com/index.html   which uses the gauntlet principles with his own touch

You can also try to get other people to do your CP, but first of all, thats no fun for you, you usually don't get what you want, and most people are lazy and don't come through.
  There's also some CPs you can just have fun with, experiment with different settings, etc.  I included an example of a control panel I was working on until the dude bitched at me about wanting more flames/blood/zombies.... yes.....
    -Once you get what you want figured out, message again and we'll work from there
      -Luke
LOL !
yeah demonseed.
bitching about more flames..LOL  :D

As for any suggestion,try paintshop first then try using photoshop.
Photoshop is little too confusing to begin with so paintshop is the way to go.  :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2003, 08:21:51 pm by SNAAAKE »

Acroyear

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2003, 09:02:16 am
  • You'll never survive.... Slave!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 09:13:41 am »
Thanks for the heads up!

Your tutorial rocks Frosty...

One question, how long does it take you to trace an image in Vector form?

-Acroyear

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 09:19:00 am »
Thanks for the heads up!

Your tutorial rocks Frosty...

One question, how long does it take you to trace an image in Vector form?

-Acroyear
Glad it helped.  It doesn't take me very long to trace something, but I've had lots of practice.  The more you do the faster it goes, and once you get the keyboard shortcuts down you are flying.  Also depends on the complexity and # of shapes.   I think Akuma took me 2-3 hours, but it went by quickly.

The best way to do it is instead of looking at the whole thing at once, pick out parts to do and layer them - like I did just the hair first. Then I took a break - then the face.  Then the clothes and shoulder, etc.

Good luck :)

CthulhuLuke

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 06:42:43 pm
  • old school
    • CthulhuLuke's Arcade Parodius
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 11:03:52 am »
When I get my new computer, I think I'll definitely have to look into getting a umm... version of Illustrator and try out your tutorial Frosty, one thing I really like about your work is the professional layouts of the buttons, like that Hulkade stuff was simple, but extremely effective.
  I personally think Illustrator is hella hard to start with, I like photoshop a lot, and started on it fine.  Just read up on  some tutorials and get yourself started by collecting the images you need, always collect more than you need as well.
  -Luke