Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: laminate trim bit vs flush trim bit?  (Read 4422 times)

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
laminate trim bit vs flush trim bit?
« on: January 30, 2008, 11:07:02 am »

I have to relaminate my bathroom countertop... was looking at both bits, and they look pretty much the same if you don't count the laminate bits that bevel.  Is there any difference I'm not seeing?

sstorkel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2011, 09:04:03 pm
Re: laminate trim bit vs flush trim bit?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 02:14:35 pm »
Generally, "laminate trim bit" and "flush trim bits" are considered to be the same thing. The only thing I'd watch out for is the shank diameter. Some bits sold as laminate trim bits may be designed for use in small laminate trim routers. And some of those may have funky shank sizes, special shafts, etc. If you buy something with a 1/4" or 1/2" shank, they're generally all the same.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 02:21:35 pm »

Thanks.  My flush trim bit is in a nice Holbren 1/2" set. 

I haven't done laminate before... need to figure out exactly how to start the flush trim.  I assume that when I get to that point I'll have the laminate cemented down with a little laminate hanging over the edge.   That doesn't give me a groove to start the cut in with the bearing already against the counter edge.    Do you just freehand it into position or is there a better way?

sstorkel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2011, 09:04:03 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 03:14:46 pm »

Thanks.  My flush trim bit is in a nice Holbren 1/2" set. 

I haven't done laminate before... need to figure out exactly how to start the flush trim.  I assume that when I get to that point I'll have the laminate cemented down with a little laminate hanging over the edge.   That doesn't give me a groove to start the cut in with the bearing already against the counter edge.    Do you just freehand it into position or is there a better way?

The trick is to cut the laminate so that it's only slightly oversize (e.g. 1/4" to 1/2"), then glue it to the substrate using the method of your choice. When that's done, you should be able to rest the base on the counter and just pull the bearing against counter edge freehand. If you've got a lot of excess laminate hanging over the counter, I'd suggest drilling a hole in the laminate near the edge of the counter. Insert the router bit, turn the router on, and then pull it flush to the counter.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 03:21:34 pm »

Thanks.  That is about what I thought.  Now to just find some laminate that goes well with the wall tile and isn't some ugly ass blue marble pattern.

whammoed

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:58:38 pm
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 03:58:25 pm »
ass blue

Ahhh, my favorite shade of blue  :P

I may have read that wrong  :dunno

fixedpigs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2022, 04:56:10 pm
  • warning: drew can't handle my avatar...
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 07:25:29 pm »
ass blue

Ahhh, my favorite shade of blue  :P

I may have read that wrong  :dunno

kinky...

northerngames

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2016, 04:18:51 pm
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 01:38:39 pm »
the flush but is for making a flush cut on a whole board for like bolting once peice of wood on another and the using the bottom board as a templaye you can run the flush bit over the bottom and it will shave the top out nice and flush to the bottom board.

there the wider type the flaw with these is "L" shaped corners if the bit is to big and round it will not fit the corner well and leave more of a "C" shape in the corner.

and trim bit is like the same as above but smaller/skinnier so it spins faster and can hit the corners more closer then above but there not meant to flush cut a board like above there only for trim really.