Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Where can I get a metal or plastic (blank) sheet to create a control panel?  (Read 1704 times)

Broken

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2012, 04:29:02 pm
its for my arcade cab... I'm new to this so any help will be appreciated.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 05:17:30 am by Broken »

pcb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2019, 05:27:26 pm
    • MikesArcade.com
Call around to the local machine shops, or metal fabricators.  I'm sure someone local to you can help you with a blank flat piece of steel.

Or just use wood like everyone else. :)

Jdurg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2020, 09:26:27 pm
  • A young guy feeling older than sin......
If you plan on going the wood route, make sure you have all of the following tools in order to avoid issues later on down the line;

Router  (To recess hinges on the CP, the joystick and trackball area as well).
Jigsaw  (To cut out the odd shape needed for the trackball and the "bulk" part of the joystick if you top mount it).
Miter Saw  (To make the odd angle straight cuts if your CP box isn't a standard rectange).
Square  (To Make sure your CP is square and doesn't lean in any direction.  Makes assembly and the final product MUCH better.  I had to start over on my CP because I didn't check it for square).
Level  (To ensure that your panel is level)
Power Drill  (To drill the god knows how many number of screws into the CP, button holes, etc.).
1 1/8" Spade or Forstner bit (To drill out the button holes).
Patience  (Good lord you'll need a lot of it.  ;D )
Donkey Kong High Scores:
1): 49,500
2): 35,600
3): 30,100
4): 29,400
5): 28,200

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
Lowes/Home Depot sell small sheet stock that is perfect for control panels.

sstorkel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2011, 09:04:03 pm
Lowes/Home Depot sell small sheet stock that is perfect for control panels.

Many also sell small pieces of sheet metal. There's a limited selection of sizes and thicknesses, but you might find what you need. EBay is also a great places to buy metal. I can recommend Frigodesign as being a reliable seller. I've purchased stainless steel sheet from them; even with shipping factored in they were cheaper than any local retailer. They also sell plexiglass sheets.