Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How can I install a remote computer power switch on MAME cabinet?  (Read 5654 times)

Jim123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2003, 02:26:09 pm
  • I'm a llama!
I am building a MAME cabinet and I have seen some projects where people have wired into their computer's existing power button and installed a remote mounted button on the front of their cabinet.  I thought this would be an easy task, but upon opening my tower cabinet on a brand-new Dell Dimension 8250, I found the power button hidden behind metal plating infront of the harddrive and attached to a mini-circuit board with several wires coming out.  I know it's possible, but I don't have a clue what I'm looking at, or what wires I need and how to wire them to an external switch.  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks!!

mastercave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2003, 10:48:57 am
  • single player cp only
Re:How can I install a remote computer power switch on MAME cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2003, 01:26:32 am »
not sure about dells, but for the usual custom built computer, i would think it's just extending the wires that goes from the power supply to the switch. the switch would be mounted on the cabinet with long wires going into the PSU. thats what i would think of, it should work IN THEORY. i'm also in the middle of my first cab and i was gonna ask this sooner or later myself... :)

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2003, 02:43:16 am »
Been a while since I have done this. But basically most of that wiring is nothing but the hard drive light and stuff like that. The button itself is two wires connecting to a jumper size set of pins on the motherboard.

Depending on your motherboard you can use several different types of buttons. (Some will want one that stays pressed, while others will work fine with basically any button, and a very few will insist on having the freak button that came on the case).

You may be able to place a jumper over the on switch connection changing it to always on, and instead install a switch for the cord going into the back of your cabinet. That way you don't have to turn everything on and off separately.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2003, 02:53:36 am »
There have been many threads on this topic and many different solutions.  

The power switch on most new computers is a momentary switch that pulses the motherboard and allows the MB to send the signal for the PS to turn on.   An easy way to tell is if your power switch just pushes in for an instant and is very easy to activate you are pulsing the MB and not connecting AC to the Power Supply.  Older computers that had a heavy switch that filipped or pushed on and off actually switch AC power.  In this case there will be heavy gauge well insulated wires comming to a switch on your front panel.

The common method of remotely turning on your PC is to extend the momentary button to another location.  If you cannot get at the button easily you can cut the wires going to the button or simply remove the connector on the MB where the power button connects and replace with another connector.  

If your Dell has a manual showing the MB it may give you the info.   If not maybe it is marked on the MB where all the connectors connect from your front controls.

Get ahold of a computer tech if you are not sure what you are doing.

Now after all that maybe there is a no sweat way.  Check your manual and see if you can set your computer to turn on with a keyboard key such as space.  If you can set your computer to turn on from the keyboard then you will be able to turn it on from your control panel without extending your power switch.

There was a thread on this as well.

BobA
« Last Edit: May 17, 2003, 02:59:17 am by BobA »

IIOIOOIOO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2003, 02:18:12 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2003, 03:24:53 am »
Or, if you're retrofitting a JAMMA cabinet, look for the momentary reset switch on top of the thing.... sort of over the cavity behind the marquee.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2003, 03:38:51 pm »
Rather than cutting your original power switch out of the loop entirely, I suggest wiring your remote switch in-line with the case power switch.  just cut both of the wires going from the switch to the motherboard, then crimp a splice or solder the wires back together, along with the wires going to your remote switch.  You should then have 2 sets of 3 wires connected together (make sure the 2 sets are somehow insulated so they don't short).  Now you can press either button to turn the PC on or off.  This is convenient if you need to power down while you're working in the back of your cab, rather than jumping up to hit the remote switch every time.

For the switch itself, I found it easiest to use a regular Happs pushbutton, since they are easiest to mount thru the wood of the cabinet.  I have mine located on top of the cab, where no one else can see...  ;)

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2003, 04:00:51 pm »
For the switch itself, I found it easiest to use a regular Happs pushbutton, since they are easiest to mount thru the wood of the cabinet.  I have mine located on top of the cab, where no one else can see...  ;)

It's really scary how often 1UP & I do exactly the same things...   ;D

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2003, 04:25:47 pm »

Heheh!  ;)

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

Druin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2009, 02:30:37 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2003, 06:39:49 pm »

So THAT'S how the Marquee retainers are meant to mount!